You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2021-2022 Tulane
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
D
deleted1065184
Not supposedly, that's what the allegations are.Just saw this on Reddit supposedly allegations of racism and lack of diversity
Oh I don’t know I don’t trust Reddit for reliable resourcesNot supposedly, that's what the allegations are.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Received secondary at 6am EST this morning, OOS, no MCAT score yet. Prompts look same as last years. @wysdoc here's the questions:
- Briefly describe the reasons for your interest in Tulane University School of Medicine. (150 words)
- Tulane University School of Medicine’s mission statement states: We improve human health and foster healthy communities through discovery and translation of the best science into clinical practice and education; to deliver the highest quality patient care and prepare the next generation of distinguished clinical and scientific leaders. Briefly describe how community service contributed to your education and your passion for medicine. (150 words)
- Please list any leadership positions, in clubs or organizations, you may have held. (100 words)
- Please list your hobbies and major non-academic interests. (150 words)
- [Optional] Tulane University School of Medicine values the diversity of its patients, faculty, staff, and students. Do you identify with a particular group that you believe is underrepresented among medical professionals? These include groups oriented around, but nt limited to: ethnicity, race, sexuality, religion, disability, and economic background. (60 words)
- [Optional] In what ways did the COVID-19 pandemic alter/interrupt your medical school application? (no limit)
Received secondary at 6am EST this morning, OOS, no MCAT score yet. Prompts look same as last years. @wysdoc here's the questions:
- Briefly describe the reasons for your interest in Tulane University School of Medicine. (150 words)
- Tulane University School of Medicine’s mission statement states: We improve human health and foster healthy communities through discovery and translation of the best science into clinical practice and education; to deliver the highest quality patient care and prepare the next generation of distinguished clinical and scientific leaders. Briefly describe how community service contributed to your education and your passion for medicine. (150 words)
- Please list any leadership positions, in clubs or organizations, you may have held. (100 words)
- Please list your hobbies and major non-academic interests. (150 words)
- [Optional] Tulane University School of Medicine values the diversity of its patients, faculty, staff, and students. Do you identify with a particular group that you believe is underrepresented among medical professionals? These include groups oriented around, but nt limited to: ethnicity, race, sexuality, religion, disability, and economic background. (60 words)
- [Optional] In what ways did the COVID-19 pandemic alter/interrupt your medical school application? (no limit)
I know you mentioned you're OOS -- but were you an ED applicant?
I know you mentioned you're OOS -- but were you an ED applicant?
I was not! Regular decision for me 🙂
I was not! Regular decision for me 🙂
Thanks! And good luck with the cycle 🙂
D
deleted1065184
Lol that's fair, but in this case it's just Reddit amplifying information that has already been published in numerous articles so I think it's trustworthy this time.Oh I don’t know I don’t trust Reddit for reliable resources
Guess I didn’t make the screen
Does this impact the medical school ?Lol that's fair, but in this case it's just Reddit amplifying information that has already been published in numerous articles so I think it's trustworthy this time.
In terms of MS1-MS4 accreditation? No. In terms of public opinion & likely controversy and strife? Oh, yeah.Does this impact the medical school ?
Their residency programs will be expected to respond to the issues causing the probation order from ACGME and show improvement.
Last edited:
Guess I didn’t make the screen
Very unlikely. They send it to all. They just do in batches. If RD secondary was just sent out, it means you’d probably receive it by this week.
2937013958120sdfli
New Member
If anyone ED receives an interview invite, let us know!
Hi all,
my primary will most likely be verified within a week. I am planning to prewrite the secondary. Will submitting my secondary mid July, or whenever I get the secondary sent be early enough for Tulane? I heard they love early applications.
my primary will most likely be verified within a week. I am planning to prewrite the secondary. Will submitting my secondary mid July, or whenever I get the secondary sent be early enough for Tulane? I heard they love early applications.
Does anybody know if we can update our photo on our portal? We're unable to edit the secondary questions itself but it seems like we can still upload another photo - I have a professional passport-like photo I want to use (the other one I had was professional too, but it wasn't "passport-like" and I don't know if that's what they prefer so I bought a passport pic to upload). Is this ok?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a friend who was accepted into Tulane last cycle, and one of the things she said she gleaned from students there and in her application advising was that Tulane loves seeing their secondary sent back quickly. Most people say for schools, turn the app around in approx. 2wks., but she said for Tulane, if you can prepare and have their secondary answers ready to go before, just submit it as soon as it hits your inbox.Hi all,
my primary will most likely be verified within a week. I am planning to prewrite the secondary. Will submitting my secondary mid July, or whenever I get the secondary sent be early enough for Tulane? I heard they love early applications.
This was just for Tulane though, they tend to use that timeline of receiving the secondary and your submission as part of your dedication (i guess) to going.
Is anybody else having trouble submitting payment? After inputting my information and clicking continue it just sends me back to the payment screen saying that it has still not been completed.
Caduceus117
Full Member
Experiencing the same problemIs anybody else having trouble submitting payment? After inputting my information and clicking continue it just sends me back to the payment screen saying that it has still not been completed.
Verified first day and have not received secondary - is this an issue?
Verified first day and have not received secondary - is this an issue?
+1
Hello all, for question like "List any leadership positions" on this secondary or similarly on other secondaries. Do they mean literally list just bullet point them, or should I describe them if I have room? Thanks!
Are you ED or RD?Verified first day and have not received secondary - is this an issue?
That's what I plan to do when I get the secondary lolHello all, for question like "List any leadership positions" on this secondary or similarly on other secondaries. Do they mean literally list just bullet point them, or should I describe them if I have room? Thanks!
namaste2022
Full Member
OOS secondary received yesterday!! applying RD
Has anyone figured out the fee problem? It seems like we can't submit without it
Edit: Problem solved! For anyone else experiencing the same problem, I received an automated email saying "Missing Secondary Application," which told me that my secondary fee had been received and they were missing my application.
Edit: Problem solved! For anyone else experiencing the same problem, I received an automated email saying "Missing Secondary Application," which told me that my secondary fee had been received and they were missing my application.
Last edited:
namaste2022
Full Member
I received the same email this morning! my application is complete and I have paid the secondary fee, but I am not able to submit! were you able to submit your secondary?Has anyone figured out the fee problem? It seems like we can't submit without it
Edit: Problem solved! For anyone else experiencing the same problem, I received an automated email saying "Missing Secondary Application," which told me that my secondary fee had been received and they were missing my application.
Yes I was! I had to refresh the portal though, I think it might take some time for the fee to show up on the portal.I received the same email this morning! my application is complete and I have paid the secondary fee, but I am not able to submit! were you able to submit your secondary?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For non ED people that have received the secondary - when were you verified?
RD, verified prior to transmission, received secondary today.For non ED people that have received the secondary - when were you verified?
I was verified before transmission as well I wonder why I haven’t got oneRD, verified prior to transmission, received secondary today.
I was verified before transmission as well I wonder why I haven’t got one
+1
I was verified in early June since I submitted on the first dayFor non ED people that have received the secondary - when were you verified?
D
deleted555445
Same, they'll come through eventually.I was verified before transmission as well I wonder why I haven’t got one
Guys/girls/however you identify, please chill. It's too early in the process to be so worked up. I'm copy-and-pasting my post from page 1 of this thread to calm some nerves on here.
**
Yes, ED gets first priority in terms of being sent secondaries and interviews.
For regular decision applicants, everyone gets sent a secondary since TUSOM doesn't screen. However, it is unknown the order that they send secondaries (i.e. linkage programs, SMP, affiliations, etc). I have classmates who received secondaries immediately to 3/4 weeks after submitting their primary. Personally, I received my secondary 2 weeks after submitting my primary on the first day of AMCAS last year. So, rather than freaking out about this, I believe your time and attention will be better spent writing secondaries. I don't know what the prompts are for this year, but perhaps check last year's prompts as an estimate and pre-write. Therefore, once you get your secondary from TUSOM, you can send it back shortly without sacrificing quality.
My reference: I went through this process last year 🙂. However, I'm not an expert, so feel free to use my opinion as you see fit. Good luck!
**
Yes, ED gets first priority in terms of being sent secondaries and interviews.
For regular decision applicants, everyone gets sent a secondary since TUSOM doesn't screen. However, it is unknown the order that they send secondaries (i.e. linkage programs, SMP, affiliations, etc). I have classmates who received secondaries immediately to 3/4 weeks after submitting their primary. Personally, I received my secondary 2 weeks after submitting my primary on the first day of AMCAS last year. So, rather than freaking out about this, I believe your time and attention will be better spent writing secondaries. I don't know what the prompts are for this year, but perhaps check last year's prompts as an estimate and pre-write. Therefore, once you get your secondary from TUSOM, you can send it back shortly without sacrificing quality.
My reference: I went through this process last year 🙂. However, I'm not an expert, so feel free to use my opinion as you see fit. Good luck!
Secondary marked as under review
To check if it's under review, did your status go from "Application is ready" to "Application is under review"?Secondary marked as under review
Guys/girls/however you identify, please chill. It's too early in the process to be so worked up. I'm copy-and-pasting my post from page 1 of this thread to calm some nerves on here.
**
Yes, ED gets first priority in terms of being sent secondaries and interviews.
For regular decision applicants, everyone gets sent a secondary since TUSOM doesn't screen. However, it is unknown the order that they send secondaries (i.e. linkage programs, SMP, affiliations, etc). I have classmates who received secondaries immediately to 3/4 weeks after submitting their primary. Personally, I received my secondary 2 weeks after submitting my primary on the first day of AMCAS last year. So, rather than freaking out about this, I believe your time and attention will be better spent writing secondaries. I don't know what the prompts are for this year, but perhaps check last year's prompts as an estimate and pre-write. Therefore, once you get your secondary from TUSOM, you can send it back shortly without sacrificing quality.
My reference: I went through this process last year 🙂. However, I'm not an expert, so feel free to use my opinion as you see fit. Good luck!
I think part of the reason people are so worked up precisely over Tulane is that there is repeated and tangible emphasis on how much Tulane values early applications. I'm not a particularly anxious person, but even I've been nervous about not receiving a secondary yet, given that Tulane loves its early submissions and it's a top choice of mine. I understand that your classmates range in when they receive their secondaries, but without their full application, none of us can guess how much their secondary reception time affected their app. I do understand the sentiment you are offering though and appreciate your perspective 🙂
ED or regular decision? My portal says that my LORs haven’t been received (?)Secondary marked as under review
i got an emailTo check if it's under review, did your status go from "Application is ready" to "Application is under review"?
if it means anything, I had all my documents etc submitted to amcas when it opened and pushed submit like 2 min after it was available toED or regular decision? My portal says that my LORs haven’t been received (?)
+1Has anyone figured out the fee problem? It seems like we can't submit without it
Edit: Problem solved! For anyone else experiencing the same problem, I received an automated email saying "Missing Secondary Application," which told me that my secondary fee had been received and they were missing my application.
Please list any leadership positions, in clubs or organizations, you may have held. (100 words)
If I don't have leadership experience in clubs or organizations should I put NA, or should I talk about some independent tutoring/other experiences where I had to teach(jobs/training sessions).
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think part of the reason people are so worked up precisely over Tulane is that there is repeated and tangible emphasis on how much Tulane values early applications. I'm not a particularly anxious person, but even I've been nervous about not receiving a secondary yet, given that Tulane loves its early submissions and it's a top choice of mine. I understand that your classmates range in when they receive their secondaries, but without their full application, none of us can guess how much their secondary reception time affected their app. I do understand the sentiment you are offering though and appreciate your perspective 🙂
Yes, of course! I get your perspective here; having been there last year. I didn't mean to belittle anyone's anxiety or tension, as you've all worked hard to get to this point and I sincerely hope you are all in medical school next year; whether it may be at Tulane or not 🙂 Rather, I'm just here to try to alleviate the tension and anxiety a little bit.
However, having gone through the application process, I think the emphasis that Tulane values early applications is somewhat true but the extent on SDN/Reddit has been blown out of proportion. Sure, the later you apply, the lower your chances. But, I seriously doubt a few days will make or break you.
GoodBlueberry19
New Member
Me! Although, to be fair, I just submitted my secondary this past weekend lolAnyone ED and not under review yet?
Thanks!! Best of luck!!Me! Although, to be fair, I just submitted my secondary this past weekend lol
Where do we see the red/green tick mark on the portal? Can't see it under status