You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2021-2022 Virginia Tech Carilion
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
+1 complete 7/30 sweating profuselyJust waiting for the inevitable now... When were you complete?
+ 1 complete 7/12+1 complete 7/30 sweating profusely
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do they accept updates?
D
deleted1119327
I think they do.Do they accept updates?
noodlechicken1
Full Member
II just now, Complete 7/27!!!!!! Very happy homies
I see Pre-II R's have started to go out. I was completed 7/19. Hopefully I hear something back. I have a feeling they just have not reviewed my application yet and the R is on the way
AspiringProScribe
Full Member
II about an hour ago for 11/13. Very excited for this one as I'm a re-applicant!
noodlechicken1
Full Member
I’ll see you there!!II about an hour ago for 11/13. Very excited for this one as I'm a re-applicant!
Mind sharing stats?II about an hour ago for 11/13. Very excited for this one as I'm a re-applicant!
Pre-II R received this past Wednesday. Complete 9/1. GL everyone else!
Countrychkn
Full Member
II early this morning! OOS, 3.6 gpa, 515 MCAT, research heavy app. I was technically complete 10/05 because I forgot to send them my Casper 🤡 Interview in November.
Last edited:
medwannabe350
Full Member
Has anyone who interviewed 10/23 heard anything? Expecting the R after feeling a bit discouraged after the MMI portion.
The committee reviews post-interview dates two at a time, since you were the 3rd interview date of the cycle, you won’t hear back until 2-3 weeks after the 4th interview date.Has anyone who interviewed 10/23 heard anything? Expecting the R after feeling a bit discouraged after the MMI portion.
TheDUDEMAN9
Full Member
For those of us accepted... what now? Lol do we just wait till fall? is there a facebook group or something?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Let’s make friends! Y’all seemed real cool at the pre-interview student social hour!For those of us accepted... what now? Lol do we just wait till fall? is there a facebook group or something?
The Dean told me there’d be some second look dates in the spring, so now I’m just kind of waiting for more information on that. I would really love to see the campus in person.
noodlechicken1
Full Member
Anyone have any insight on how this school views update letter and if I should send one before my interview next week? Also, if anyone else is interviewing and wants to discuss ways to prepare or about the school send me a message 🙂
Not that I'm an expert, but I would just wait until your interview because you can communicate your update then. Unless it's something significant, like a first author publication, your interviewer(s) could convey it to the committee. I would just write the update down to be sure it gets mentioned during your interview when they ask 'is there anything else?' You could also do an update following your interview so that you can include any feedback from your interview/info sessions to say why Carilion is THE school for you.Anyone have any insight on how this school views update letter and if I should send one before my interview next week? Also, if anyone else is interviewing and wants to discuss ways to prepare or about the school send me a message 🙂
I interviewed 10/23 and have not heard yet! I will say that in the student meet and greet they told us not to expect to hear until the last week of November or early December.Has anyone who interviewed 10/23 heard anything? Expecting the R after feeling a bit discouraged after the MMI portion.
Who typically makes the Facebook group? The students or the school? Also I’m going to the January second look — hoping to see y’all there!!
For those of us accepted... what now? Lol do we just wait till fall? is there a facebook group or something?
And what is the fourth interview date, if someone knows?The committee reviews post-interview dates two at a time, since you were the 3rd interview date of the cycle, you won’t hear back until 2-3 weeks after the 4th interview date.
noodlechicken1
Full Member
This Saturday, 10/13.And what is the fourth interview date, if someone knows?
student306
Full Member
Do you mind saying when you completed your secondary?Joining the Pre-II R train today. Huge darn considering I love the school but I guess it really do be like that sometimes. Congrats to those who got in and good luck to those waiting for IIs! <3
TheDUDEMAN9
Full Member
I dont konw to be honest. same i will be going JanuaryWho typically makes the Facebook group? The students or the school? Also I’m going to the January second look — hoping to see y’all there!!
+1 Also planning on going in January!I dont konw to be honest. same i will be going January
My traditional interviewer mentioned that there were 48 folks were interviewed this past weekend and that we will probably hear back mid December at the latest. I think the delay is because of thanksgiving and that they will be reviewing the 3rd and 4th interview day folks together.Anyone happen to know what the expected timeline is for people who interviewed this weekend? I wasn't able to attend the session on Friday to ask questions
Thanks! I had no clue they interviewed that many people each session. I guess mid-december isn't too far from nowMy traditional interviewer mentioned that there were 48 folks were interviewed this past weekend and that we will probably hear back mid December at the latest. I think the delay is because of thanksgiving and that they will be reviewing the 3rd and 4th interview day folks together.
Just attended their virtual open house and they mentioned that they are 2/3 of the way through interviews. They estimated a little under 100 people left to interview so hopefully that gives some context as to where the are in the cycle!
I have an interview for this place coming up, I was just wondering though is my application DOA because of minimal research? I have just a little bit, didn't have it as my most meaningful activity, and I don't have a LOR from my PI
"Letters from a medical professional and a research mentor are strongly recommended. " (Application Process)
Probably not DOA. If you have a strong enough MCAT and GPA, they may ignore that, especially since they invited you for an interview. If your research opportunities were limited by la 'rona, that's understandable. Just be able to speak intelligently about your research and indicate an affinity for continued research (a program requirement). Emphasize why VTC is your #1 school. Make sure you read up on their program and provide one or two aspects you particularly like about it.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's kind of late for an LOR now. Your file is already complete and again, they already gave you an interview invite.I graduated years ago so my Research wasn't affected by COVID. I was in the lab for over 2 years, I did do stuff but no publications or posters or anything. (I took it for a grade and got A's every semester, that's it). It was a perfectly serviceable lab, I did a lot of grunt work and analysis but that's really it. I never really interacted with my PI at all, he probably doesn't even remember me. I was wondering if maybe one of the random lab techs could write a LOR? Would that look good or would it just make it obvious I didn't really do anything substantial because I didn't ask my PI?
I love research and want to do more research in med school. In undergrad it just wasn't a priority for me because I wanted to increase my GPA and work a job that paid more money
Also speaking as a "random lab tech" that has multiple first author pubs, it doesn't really sound like a letter from them would be that meaningful either. It's important to keep in touch with people after you leave and speak of other lab positions well on anonymous forums. I personally have a letter from my undergrad PI and current PI/mentor.
D
deleted1114150
When do you think they'll come out with next round of acceptances?
In my 10/23 interview, they said that they would roll out the next round around early DecemberWhen do you think they'll come out with next round of acceptances?
Countrychkn
Full Member
Last year people who interviewed for the end of October/early November heard back on December 15th according to the past sdn thread. Hopefully we don't have to wait that long 🥺😢When do you think they'll come out with next round of acceptances?
Yep, most likely Tuesday, December 14 acceptance calls for late October and November interview groups. It's a long wait for that October group.
Also wondering this. I was thinking pre-decision might be best just cause it could help move me from R to WL if that's where I currently amQuestion, does VTC value update letters post II and pre decision? I’m debating between sending an update now or waiting to see if I get waitlisted and providing it then
noodlechicken1
Full Member
Hey, I asked one of the deans on sending a letter of intent after an interview and how receptive it would be, this was their response.Also wondering this. I was thinking pre-decision might be best just cause it could help move me from R to WL if that's where I currently am
"Glad to know you came away with a good impression! hopefully you'll hear good news before Christmas 🙂. We get lots of letters of intent- they're most impactful late in the cycle. Early on our policies and protocols regulate offers, etc."
Take what you will from that, because I don't fully follow. I did not send a LOI though.
student306
Full Member
anyone complete mid august hear back yet?
I would only send an update for something fairly significant, and if were to send one I would send it fairly soon after the interview (say within a couple weeks)Question, does VTC value update letters post II and pre decision? I’m debating between sending an update now or waiting to see if I get waitlisted and providing it then
I was complete early September and interviewed in Octoberanyone complete mid august hear back yet?
neurotic_buthangin
Full Member
+1 complete late JulyComplete 7/20 and silence so far...
Someone said they heard we'd hear back mid-december so I'd think either this week or early next weekFor those who interviewed 11/13- do we think we will hear back this week? I wasn’t sure the exact timeline.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ahh ok true. Thank you!Someone said they heard we'd hear back mid-december so I'd think either this week or early next week
I am really excited about this school and thought I would be a great fit because of research, etc. and I wrote strong essays but it’s been total silence from VTC since like July 😢
+1I am really excited about this school and thought I would be a great fit because of research, etc. and I wrote strong essays but it’s been total silence from VTC since like July 😢
I got a II today! Complete in mid-July. Heavy research background including 6 peer-reviewed pubs.