You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2021-2022 Virginia Tech Carilion
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
+1, OOSWow, just now got an II. Didn't expect this at all!! Last interview day in February, probably for a waitlist spot but so happy! Complete mid-August.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
bugbowlspaghetti
Full Member
just got an II for feburary 8th yippee! in state complete mid July
Dang OOS and still silence since 7/17, RIP
Oh my god I just checked my junk folder and I got an interview...... I am speechless... I thought this cycle was over for me!
Sucky stats in signature.
Sucky stats in signature.
Countrychkn
Full Member
I've had more emails from schools go into my junk than my actual email 😭😭 I check it obsessively nowOh my god I just checked my junk folder and I got an interview...... I am speechless... I thought this cycle was over for me!
Sucky stats in signature.
Question about updates - I submitted an update letter where I included a citation for a recent publication I was part of. Should I also upload a PDF version of the publication? The portal specifies that you can upload research abstracts in the "Update My Application" section, I'm just not sure since I already included a citation in the letter.
Odd-Mango1581
Full Member
jan interviewer here.. any idea when we'll hear back?
Speaking of updates, has anyone uploaded an update post-interview but pre-decision?
towards the latter end of February from what I heard during the Q&Ajan interviewer here.. any idea when we'll hear back?
I didn't know that! That's frustrating but happy it's not going to be A-F.What do you guys think about the change to H/P/F for MS1/2?
That is a significant con for me, especially seeing as grading will be partially based on qualitative evaluation by profs...
Countrychkn
Full Member
That really sucks. I'm assuming people were probably unhappy with the switch to P/F step 1 and wanted to have some other way to distinguish between people for residency purposes? Adds a lot more stress to the curriculum thoughWhat do you guys think about the change to H/P/F for MS1/2?
That is a significant con for me, especially seeing as grading will be partially based on qualitative evaluation by profs...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I didn't know that! That's frustrating but happy it's not going to be A-F.
That really sucks. I'm assuming people were probably unhappy with the switch to P/F step 1 and wanted to have some other way to distinguish between people for residency purposes? Adds a lot more stress to the curriculum though
Actually let me correct myself, I may have misinterpreted the source info. I'll quote the post:
"M1/M2 and shelf exams in M3 year are all P/F (pass/fail). There are letters of distinction (or honors) for M1/M2 (PBL, research, basic science, clinical) and each clerkship during M3. This honor/distinction system takes into account exam scores, reviews from your preceptors, and other factors. They have now opened it so that as many students as possible can "honor" if you meet the criteria (as opposed to a cut off of the top x number of students). This will show up in your dean's letter on ERAS (for those unfamiliar, ERAS is the application for residency). There are no letter (A/B/C) grades on your ERAS application."
Oh, interesting. Thanks for the info! This doesn't seem as bad since I think it's P or P-with honors based on a number of factors.Actually let me correct myself, I may have misinterpreted the source info. I'll quote the post:
"M1/M2 and shelf exams in M3 year are all P/F (pass/fail). There are letters of distinction (or honors) for M1/M2 (PBL, research, basic science, clinical) and each clerkship during M3. This honor/distinction system takes into account exam scores, reviews from your preceptors, and other factors. They have now opened it so that as many students as possible can "honor" if you meet the criteria (as opposed to a cut off of the top x number of students). This will show up in your dean's letter on ERAS (for those unfamiliar, ERAS is the application for residency). There are no letter (A/B/C) grades on your ERAS application."
Right? It's a little difficult to interpret... but it sounds like this system would still lend itself to incentivize academic, research, and social 'perfection' on top of winning the favor of preceptors. Though it seems like the only recent change is the 'capless' honors. VTC students seem so happy and friendly with one another though- I reckon that's probably more telling about their culture than this grading scheme is.Oh, interesting. Thanks for the info! This doesn't seem as bad since I think it's P or P-with honors based on a number of factors.
Additionally, whether or not there is a 'cap' on Honors given, it's worth considering that the ERAS application may nevertheless show the percentile of students attaining distinction in each section... so if most students were to honor a given section then it wouldn't be a meaningful metric anyways.
Do they tell you ahead of time who your traditional interviewer will be, by chance?
noodlechicken1
Full Member
They do not, at least in my caseDo they tell you ahead of time who your traditional interviewer will be, by chance?
noodlechicken1
Full Member
I was going to wait till mid March so I have a better idea of opinions and my intent.When do you guys think would be the best time to send a letter of interest/update if you're in the active status pool and they won't be making a decision until April?
Has anyone else not received an II or an R here? It looks like their last interview date is in 3 days so...
Have you checked your junk folder?Has anyone else not received an II or an R here? It looks like their last interview date is in 3 days so...
Yes!! I even checked the communication status in case I was missing something LOL. Haven't received any communication since 7/30 when I was completeHave you checked your junk folder?
that’s really frustrating I’m sorry 🙁Yes!! I even checked the communication status in case I was missing something LOL. Haven't received any communication since 7/30 when I was complete
yea same, haven't received any communication since being complete lolHas anyone else not received an II or an R here? It looks like their last interview date is in 3 days so...
Super odd. I wish schools would just reject as soon as they know they're going to - especially when they've sent other rejections out alreadyyea same, haven't received any communication since being complete lol
yea pretty wack. who knows though, maybe we're on a short list if someone drops out for the last interview day lolSuper odd. I wish schools would just reject as soon as they know they're going to - especially when they've sent other rejections out already
Does anyone know if the IMPACT scholarship is merit-based at all? Also since it's about "Inclusion improving Medicine" - is it typically awarded to URMs in medicine?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
+1. No ties to the school or state, but I was in their stat range and have a strong research background so I thought I was a really good fit for the program. All is good though!Pre-II R right now. Complete mid august.
just got hit with the pre-II R. OOS LM 69 complete late july ish
neurotic_buthangin
Full Member
Hello allX, does anyone know if they accept online prerequisite courses?
I took online physics due to covid and they accepted that. Not sure if they accept online courses outside of extenuating circumstance thoHello allX, does anyone know if they accept online prerequisite courses?
Pre-II R on Wednesday 2/9. Complete in August. Good luck everyone!
So should we give up hope being on the waitlist? Don’t really have a good idea of waitlist movement here
I think it varies a lot year to year. In previous years I don't think they had a ton of waitlist movement, but last year there seemed to be a decent amount.So should we give up hope being on the waitlist? Don’t really have a good idea of waitlist movement here
Odd-Mango1581
Full Member
could next week be the week jan/feb interviewers hear back???!
bugbowlspaghetti
Full Member
they said we would hear back in the first week of march i think?could next week be the week jan/feb interviewers hear back???!
Historically (the last two cycles) it has been the last Tuesday of Feb with interviews happening around the same time as this year's. At interview day they said beginning of March-ish; not sure if that is them giving themselves a bit of insurance or what. Guess we will find out Tuesday!could next week be the week jan/feb interviewers hear back???!
Odd-Mango1581
Full Member
I see! fingers crossed today's the dayHistorically (the last two cycles) it has been the last Tuesday of Feb with interviews happening around the same time as this year's. At interview day they said beginning of March-ish; not sure if that is them giving themselves a bit of insurance or what. Guess we will find out Tuesday!
D
deleted1111835
yes I do!For those accepted/waitlisted - do you see your results on the AAMC Choose Your Medical School tool?
Guessing today is not the day, brethren
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
We have played ourselvesGuessing today is not the day, brethren
Odd-Mango1581
Full Member
Soooo... tomorrow? lol
bugbowlspaghetti
Full Member
Just got the A call
congrats, what date did you guys interview?Just got the A call