2022-2023 Iowa (Carver)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I found that somebody did a bunch of research and posted this on last year's thread, it's the dates/days in March that the decisions came out:

2021 10th - Wednesday
2020: 11th - Wednesday
2019: 5th - Tuesday
2018: 6th - Tuesday
2017: 8th - Wednesday
2016: 8th - Tuesday
2015: 3rd - Tuesday

I also found that last year (2022), they came out on Wednesday the 9th.
1674842421734.png

Here's the IS waitlist movement from 2011-2018.

Last year, it moved about 30 spots for IS students.

There was one year, I believe 2019, that it only moved 12 spots.

Note, this is IS only.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All! Best of luck to all of you on your applications! Congrats to those who have already been admitted!! I am a current M4 at Carver and looking to sublease my apartment from 5/1/23-7/30/23 that's within walking distance from the hospital/MERF. It's perfect if you plan to be here this summer for pre-M1 research or IMEI. Feel free to message me if you're interested or have any questions!

Squidward window.jpg

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 16 users
Y'all this wait tho I'm dying inside. Used to be a beautiful, shiny, firm grape. Am now a shrivelly, dusty, gross raisin.

Y'all this wait tho I'm dying inside. Used to be a beautiful, shiny, firm grape. Am now a shrivelly, dusty, gross raisin.
It's so painful....but just remember it's normal to be anxious about this!!

Also, it feels like time is moving in slow motion, but it's already been 2 weeks since the final pool email--and only ~3 weeks until the decisions are released!

Reactions: 1 user
Will withdraw from my spot soon. I hope that one of you gets it!

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got Hogwarts Legacy...at least I got accepted to one school this cycle

1676743628687.png

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
I've been told that over 50% of the incoming class comes from the final pool, and that most of the people accepted before that tend to be high stat OOS students. Final pool is not at all a negative thing.
Does this mean most, if not all, of the OOS spots are taken up and OOS don't usually make it off of the final pool?

Does this mean most, if not all, of the OOS spots are taken up and OOS don't usually make it off of the final pool?
Not at all!

In rolling phase, about 2/3 of seats are filled. In final pool, the other 1/3 are filled and then the IS waitlist is 50 spots long and the OOS waitlist is about 100 spots long.

For IS students, aprx 20-30 students give up their acceptance for another school, meaning 20-30 students get in off the waitlist for IS.

For OOS, there is a huge variation year to year. Anywhere from 10-70+ are taken off the OOS waitlist every year. In the last couple years, over 50 students have been admitted off the OOS WL, but again, it varies massively from year to year.

I will say, the requirements for OOS students are more competitive, as there are far more OOS applicants and you are only compared to other OOS applicants; however, many are accepted in the final pool.

Good luck!!

Last edited:
For in-state applicants, is it most likely you will be either waitlisted or accepted? Like, how concerned are we about the chance of getting rejected lol

From what I have seen it is possible to be rejected but it seems unlikely. Could be wrong tho

For in-state applicants, is it most likely you will be either waitlisted or accepted? Like, how concerned are we about the chance of getting rejected lol
About 220 IS students interview each year. Of those 220, about 65 are accepted in rolling admissions, which leaves approximately 150 IS students left in the Final Pool. There are 35 more IS seats left to fill, so:

35/150 will get Accepted
50/150 will get on the Waitlist
65/150 will get Rejected

About 20-30 kids are taken from the WL each year for IS students, so overall, ~60/150, or 40% of IS students will get accepted.

About 220 IS students interview each year. Of those 220, about 65 are accepted in rolling admissions, which leaves approximately 150 IS students left in the Final Pool. There are 35 more IS seats left to fill, so:

35/150 will get Accepted
65/150 will get Rejected

About 20-30 kids are taken from the WL each year for IS students, so overall, ~60/150, or 40% of IS students will get accepted.
This is based off of UI having 100 seats for IS students, right? And given that schools always accept more students than the number of available seats, wouldn't that increase the numbers, roughly?

This is based off of UI having 100 seats for IS students, right? And given that schools always accept more students than the number of available seats, wouldn't that increase the numbers, roughly?
For in-state they do not over accept. That’s out of state.

35/150 will get Accepted
65/150 will get Rejected

Also, another follow up question if anyone knows the answer to this, but are people rejected post-interview or does anyone who wasn't immediately accepted just go into the final pool?

Also, another follow up question if anyone knows the answer to this, but are people rejected post-interview or does anyone who wasn't immediately accepted just go into the final pool?
A small amount are rejected post-II, but the strong majority make it to final pool.

ALSO, very sorry for the multiple messages, but can I just say I CANNOT BELIEVE there are people who interviewed in September who are in the final pool and will not be hearing back until March. That is HALF A YEAR of uncertainty and anxiety I am so sorry all of you who are in that position, God be with you all.

Reactions: 3 users
ALSO, very sorry for the multiple messages, but can I just say I CANNOT BELIEVE there are people who interviewed in September who are in the final pool and will not be hearing back until March. That is HALF A YEAR of uncertainty and anxiety I am so sorry all of you who are in that position, God be with you all
ALSO, very sorry for the multiple messages, but can I just say I CANNOT BELIEVE there are people who interviewed in September who are in the final pool and will not be hearing back until March. That is HALF A YEAR of uncertainty and anxiety I am so sorry all of you who are in that position, God be with you all.
Hey easy now lmao

I found this spreadsheet on Reddit with a whole bunch of data from a whole bunch of schools! Seems to be pretty accurate but I could be wrong.

I found this spreadsheet on Reddit with a whole bunch of data from a whole bunch of schools! Seems to be pretty accurate but I could be wrong.

Best of luck, all. 💕the mod squad

Link to the 2021-2022 Applicant Sticky
Link to the Compilation of Essential SDN Knowledge (updated 2019)

Personal Statement

Primary Application
Secondaries
Interviews

Interviews/Outcomes Tracker:
Miscellaneous
You can also find it in the sticky along with other helpful resources!

Just @Me next time

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Do we think next week for Final Pool decisions?
Yes! It'll likely be next Wednesday unless they throw a curveball at us. For the last 4 years they've released Final Pool decisions on the second Wednesday of March
I found that somebody did a bunch of research and posted this on last year's thread, it's the dates/days in March that the decisions came out:

2021 10th - Wednesday
2020: 11th - Wednesday
2019: 5th - Tuesday
2018: 6th - Tuesday
2017: 8th - Wednesday
2016: 8th - Tuesday
2015: 3rd - Tuesday

I also found that last year (2022), they came out on Wednesday the 9th.
:)

Yes! It'll likely be next Wednesday unless they throw a curveball at us. For the last 4 years they've released Final Pool decisions on the second Wednesday of March
Oh wow! I was thinking it would be on the 15th. I don't know if I'm ready...

Anyone who is IS and/or lives in the area of UIowa, I suggest we all decide on a specific bar to meet at the night decisions come out and either commiserate or celebrate together LOL

Reactions: 4 users
OOS final poolist here. Will more than likely be withdrawing my application after final pool decisions come out. Good luck all :)

Do we think next week for Final Pool decisions?
Almost certainly either Tuesday or Wednesday next week. In previous years, the decision has been released anywhere from 9AM to 3PM. Also, just for some extra torture, they send the email, and then decisions have to "load" for about 30 minutes to an hour. Some of us will be able to see our admission decision sooner than others.

• Wow
Almost certainly either Tuesday or Wednesday next week. In previous years, the decision has been released anywhere from 9AM to 3PM. Also, just for some extra torture, they send the email, and then decisions have to "load" for about 30 minutes to an hour. Some of us will be able to see our admission decision sooner than others.
I thought I heard if you are rejected you do not get an email?

I thought everyone gets an email saying a decision has been reported on the portal, and then you have to go and check there regardless of what that decision is.

I thought I heard if you are rejected you do not get an email?
Yep, as the others are saying, everyone will get an email that decisions have been made. There will be a link to the Carver Secondary Portal, where decisions will have to load in.

Also interesting: While decisions load, those IS students that have been accepted tend to have a new "rural" tab on their secondary portal that can be seen prior to their decision being available. If it is not there, in the past it has indicated that you are on the WL or rejected.

Yep, as the others are saying, everyone will get an email that decisions have been made. There will be a link to the Carver Secondary Portal, where decisions will have to load in.

Also interesting: While decisions load, those IS students that have been accepted tend to have a new "rural" tab on their secondary portal that can be seen prior to their decision being available. If it is not there, in the past it has indicated that you are on the WL or rejected.
Thank you for the info, will this rural tab also be there for OOS?

From what I've seen on past threads, no. However, I just checked the threads of the past 2 years and nobody reported having the Rural tab, so maybe it's a glitch they fixed!

Is anyone else officially freaking out as we get closer to next week?? I feel like I’ve been freaking out since my interview but this past week has really ramped it up lol

Reactions: 2 users
Is anyone else officially freaking out as we get closer to next week?? I feel like I’ve been freaking out since my interview but this past week has really ramped it up lol
Yes, but I'm also just glad that we'll all FINALLY be getting an answer...6 months of silence is way too much!

Screen Shot 2023-03-06 at 11.46.11 AM.png

I got this email this morning....it's about a 5K. They couldn't be any more cruel

• Haha