2022-2023 Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (Elmira, NY)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Lmfaoo yo my deposit is due 12/16 and they are NOT allowing December tours. You cannot be fr

Members don't see this ad.

Lmfaoo yo my deposit is due 12/16 and they are NOT allowing December tours. You cannot be fr
I toured Elmira back in October. I honestly really liked the school/campus itself and the local area (next to the Elmira College campus which was way nicer than I realized, pretty quiet small town vibes in general.) Elmira is way more rural/isolated than I realized though- not so much Elmira itself, but there really is NOTHING nearby once you leave town. The pre-clinical professors seemed super chill and supportive. Honestly the only part that bothered me was the attitude/tone I got from the admissions people- kind of weirdly infantilizing (ex: talking a ton about the experience/stresses of medical school even though they were all admin background who had never worked in clinical medicine, just generally talking to us (potential med students) with a tone more appropriate for high schoolers who had never lived away from home lol.) Presumably though the admissions people shouldn't really have much affect on life when you are actually there as a student (I hope haha).

Reactions: 3 users
I toured Elmira back in October. I honestly really liked the school/campus itself and the local area (next to the Elmira College campus which was way nicer than I realized, pretty quiet small town vibes in general.) Elmira is way more rural/isolated than I realized though- not so much Elmira itself, but there really is NOTHING nearby once you leave town. The pre-clinical professors seemed super chill and supportive. Honestly the only part that bothered me was the attitude/tone I got from the admissions people- kind of weirdly infantilizing (ex: talking a ton about the experience/stresses of medical school even though they were all admin background who had never worked in clinical medicine, just generally talking to us (potential med students) with a tone more appropriate for high schoolers who had never lived away from home lol.) Presumably though the admissions people shouldn't really have much affect on life when you are actually there as a student (I hope haha).
Thank u for sharing this insight!! Curious, what sort of hometown do you come from? Mine is a LITTLE rural so I’m personally used to being bored

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for sharing this! this is what i am concerned about..the town being a bit too small and boring? i am between this and touro Middletown so not sure!

Thank u for sharing this insight!! Curious, what sort of hometown do you come from? Mine is a LITTLE rural so I’m personally used to being bored
I've lived all over the place throughout my adult life but growing up I lived in various small-medium sized towns in upstate NY. I would say Elmira itself is comparable to those. Like I mentioned though, I thought the main difference was less with the town itself and more with its surroundings. Once you do leave Elmira, it is extremely barren/rural- you have to drive for a while before you hit civilization again lol.

thanks for sharing this! this is what i am concerned about..the town being a bit too small and boring? i am between this and touro Middletown so not sure!

Middletown is rural and you will have to drive at least an hr to before reaching a big town or city so with LECOM being half the tuition, I’d seriously consider that.

Reactions: 1 user
calling it, my letter will arrive tomorrow which ofc is my bday

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I live near Elmira. By no means is this a boring place with respect to seeing the various pathologies needed to become a good clinician. There is a lot happening in this region. Let me know what questions you have.

I've lived all over the place throughout my adult life but growing up I lived in various small-medium sized towns in upstate NY. I would say Elmira itself is comparable to those. Like I mentioned though, I thought the main difference was less with the town itself and more with its surroundings. Once you do leave Elmira, it is extremely barren/rural- you have to drive for a while before you hit civilization again lol.
Depends on what you mean by “a while.” If you are talking 20-30 minutes drive, you have Corning, Ithaca, Watkins Glen, and Sayre, PA. About an hour and you have Binghamton. 90 minutes and you have Syracuse. Between these you have rural America, but it really isn’t as barren as you might think if you get out and drive around.

Depends on what you mean by “a while.” If you are talking 20-30 minutes drive, you have Corning, Ithaca, Watkins Glen, and Sayre, PA. About an hour and you have Binghamton. 90 minutes and you have Syracuse. Between these you have rural America, but it really isn’t as barren as you might think if you get out and drive around.
I’m driving up next weekend to see the area! Any recommendations for spots to hit/sights to see?

Members don't see this ad :)
I finally got my letter thank god, WL, and honestly after the struggle I had to get to even get this letter, I’m happy with the decision

I finally got my letter thank god, WL, and honestly after the struggle I had to get to even get this letter, I’m happy with the decision
At least you have closure now. I was stressed on your behalf, lol.

Anyone from the 11/4th info session receive any updates?

Been just over 2 weeks since the 14 day notification. At what point would y'all call?

Did anyone get an email about the mini on-campus day in December? like this morning?

I guess there's no point they send this email to the ones who are rejected. Maybe those who are accepted or waitlisted?
Nah my friend got an R and got the email also lmao

oh no... I don't know if sending a letter of intent helps at this point.

oh no... I don't know if sending a letter of intent helps at this point.
FWIW I did submit a letter of interest and got an A. My reasoning was I wasn’t able to articulate “why LECOM” in their interview since the questions were preset. Not sure if it had any bearing on my acceptance

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hey all, current student at LECOM Elmira, just wanted to tell you all to hang in there. If any one has any questions regarding the school or anything else please reach out!

FWIW I did submit a letter of interest and got an A. My reasoning was I wasn’t able to articulate “why LECOM” in their interview since the questions were preset. Not sure if it had any bearing on my acceptance
how soon after the interview did you send that? also, is a letter of interest the same as letter of intent?

Yea but don’t think it means anything, I got WL and that email
I received an email today about the December on-campus event also. I am so excited to go an see the campus. I called to make sure that it was open to everyone or just those that have been accepted. I was a little confused. I was told that it was open to everyone who has interviewed with LECOM at Elmira. I was told that they originally were not going to do a December on campus because of scheduling conflicts and it was a busy time of the year with the holidays. I am glad that they decided to do this as I am very much looking forward to it. If someone got an email that was rejected, you can just simply disregard it, or go and know what the campus is like and and reapply for the next year. It was probably a bulk email that went out to everyone. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

how soon after the interview did you send that? also, is a letter of interest the same as letter of intent?
Sent it 2-3 days after my info session. From my understanding, letter of intent = you’re basically committing to matriculating if accepted, letter of interest is more informal and introducing yourself/why you’re interested in a program. My letter was basically introducing myself/stating why I like the Elmira campus/area/closing sentences, nothing elaborate

I was waitlisted last season and I want to one of the on-campus events and was so surprised at how nice Elmira was. My family and I stayed in town for a couple of days so that I could make a more informed decision if I was accepted. Downtown Elmira is smaller compared to cities like Syracuse, Rochester and Buffalo. I felt the community of Elmira is exactly what I was looking for. There are no big malls or shopping centers in downtown Elmira but those are only a few minutes drive from Elmira. We went to Corning Glass Museum (20 minutes away) and toured around Ithaca (30 minutes away) I did not find the admissions team to be "infantile" at all. I thought their honesty and transparency was welcoming. I enjoyed their candor and making me feel at ease. As a potential student. I want an admissions / student affairs office that will support me and help me through this process. Their team is one of the many things that is drawing me more towards the Elmira campus. It does not factor into my decision making if the admissions and student affairs people do not have a background in medicine, that is what the medical faculty and the directors are for.

Sent it 2-3 days after my info session. From my understanding, letter of intent = you’re basically committing to matriculating if accepted, letter of interest is more informal and introducing yourself/why you’re interested in a program. My letter was basically introducing myself/stating why I like the Elmira campus/area/closing sentences, nothing elaborate
yeah, shoulda done that, I guess it's kinda a bad time to send a letter of intent now since they already made a decision on my application

Hey, can you share who you sent this to and his/her email?
Also, do you know if we can send an update letter prior to an interview?

After you interview they share a Google form to submit update letters, I uploaded it this way

After you interview they share a Google form to submit update letters, I uploaded it this way
So, I haven't gotten an interview yet, but I was thinking to send an update letter and try to tell them why would I be a good fit. Would you happen to know the email of the dean or someone I can send this to? Thanks

So, I haven't gotten an interview yet, but I was thinking to send an update letter and try to tell them why would I be a good fit. Would you happen to know the email of the dean or someone I can send this to? Thanks
Just email it to admissions

I would recommend calling admissions themselves and asking. We were told during my info sesh that they don’t accept update letters via email anymore, and any emailed would just be deleted

portal change to Elmira 14-day notice and an Erie still under review yesterday. i have a hunch it's going to be a WL or R. but was wondering if anyone out there got an A with Elmira-14-day-notice and Erie-under-review?

portal change to Elmira 14-day notice and an Erie still under review yesterday. i have a hunch it's going to be a WL or R. but was wondering if anyone out there got an A with Elmira-14-day-notice and Erie-under-review?
When info sesh

Got the 14 days update Friday morning, info session was 09/16
emoji24.png

But I selected the Nov 15 option, so the turnaround is pretty decent
Day 14: still waiting, zilch on informed delivery

Day 14: still waiting, zilch on informed delivery
This is absolutely ridiculous. I'm on day 16 after the "14" day letter notice- I know other people have waited even longer past this. Its bad enough that they send decisions out by physical mail anyway, but being incapable of getting the physical letters out within their own timeframe is even more frustrating. This school administratively screwed up their own early decisions process a few months ago, they sent out that confusing and misleading email the other day to everyone for the "class of 2027 on-campus day"... I feel like I'm starting to understand some of the negative criticism LECOM's administration gets.