You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2022-2023 Pittsburgh
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Seeing so many over-top-qualified applicants getting pre-II Rs, I'm wondering what the heck they're looking for......
splovescandles
Full Member
Got Pre-II R this am 🙁 Complete 7/30
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As for someone with 0 hours of research and no pubs with an II, I focused more on serving food insecure communities and explicitly stated that I wasn't interested in research during my time at Pitt and will focus more on the early patient contact aspect of the curriculum. Yes, I know that a research project is mandatory but I never mentioned it in my secondary or interview.
Pre-II R this morning LM72 WARS 84 Complete 7/20
Officially have more Rs than IIs now 🙁 (not that I had a lot of IIs to begin w lmao)
Officially have more Rs than IIs now 🙁 (not that I had a lot of IIs to begin w lmao)
did yall write about specific professors you would want to work with in secondary app?
BigFyoochurHendy
Full Member
Where do you guys see the pre-II on the portal? Is it under supplemental application status?
same... it seems like they are sending out Rs in a chronological orderAnyone submitted in 8/2022 and got R? Just prepping myself
8/26, ready for that R any day now...same... it seems like they are sending out Rs in a chronological order
pre-II R. submitted 7/29. sad
I think yesterday or a day ago, someone who submitted in September got their pre-ii R?Anyone submitted in 8/2022 and got R? Just prepping myself
SitBackDown.ImSat
Full Member
Pre-II R yesterday. Good luck to the rest of you!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
avividsound_
Full Member
still nothing [emoji30]
FloatingAbyss
Full Member
Does anyone know when the admissions committee meetings to vote on apps? Is it on a monthly basis?
BigFyoochurHendy
Full Member
Pure conjecture here but they seemed to be moving through fairly steadily for a while a week or so ago based on the activity on this sub. Not sure why there's been a lack of activity recentlyDoes anyone know when the admissions committee meetings to vote on apps? Is it on a monthly basis?
Catamount802
Full Member
Complete 7/12. MSTP (MD/PhD) II received on 9/2. Interviewed 10/3 & 10/4. LM: 74.8, WARS: 92. (ORM, OOS)
Fingers crossed! They said MD/PhD will hear back “by November,” with MD-only hearing back January 31st.
Fingers crossed! They said MD/PhD will hear back “by November,” with MD-only hearing back January 31st.
Last edited:
heyheyheyheyheyheyheyhey
Full Member
to those who have already interviewed, did you find that you were interviewed by faculty/students who shared the interests that you were asked to rank/select in the secondary?
They paired me with an immunologist and also an M2. The M2 had an internet in family medicine, so not paired with interest regarding the med students. Pitt will pair you with a faculty member of your interest. If you like Cardiology or whatever option they give, they’ll try to pair you with a cardiologist, etc.
snowman888
Full Member
to those who have already interviewed, did you find that you were interviewed by faculty/students who shared the interests that you were asked to rank/select in the secondary?
My faculty member didn't seem to be paired based on specialty interest, but my med student interviewer was definitely chosen based on major themes in my application.
D
deleted1117431
Neither of my interviewers were interested/in one of the 3 specialties I selected. Weren’t even closeto those who have already interviewed, did you find that you were interviewed by faculty/students who shared the interests that you were asked to rank/select in the secondary?
heyheyheyheyheyheyheyhey
Full Member
haha, would be my luck for sure.Neither of my interviewers were interested/in the 3 specialties I selected. Weren’t even close
Catamount802
Full Member
I was MD/PhD so it’s a little different, but yes definitely everyone was very close to my interests for the most part.to those who have already interviewed, did you find that you were interviewed by faculty/students who shared the interests that you were asked to rank/select in the secondary?
I did! I indicated an interest in Geriatrics/primary care on my app and was paired with a Geriatrician. My student interviewer was also interested in Internal Medicine. It honestly made for a pretty great interview experience!to those who have already interviewed, did you find that you were interviewed by faculty/students who shared the interests that you were asked to rank/select in the secondary?
Anyone know how much they weigh stats/ECs post-interview? Or does an II mean you're "safe" in that regard? My interview is coming up and I'm psyching myself out because my GPA is meh, and I don't have a lot of clinical volunteering 🙁
Last edited:
They gave you an II because they like you. You have an equal footing with the other applicants at this point. For now, just focus on doing your best on the interview and don't think about your MCAT or GPA because they already gave you an II. You deserve your II and now you're gonna do great on it, too! 🙂Anyone know how much they weigh stats/ECs post-interview? Or does an II mean you're "safe" in that regard? My interview is coming up and I'm psyching myself out because my GPA is meh, and I don't have a lot of clinical volunteering 🙁
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Omg blessed by Thiccy 😭 thanks for the reassuring words!They gave you an II because they like you. You have an equal footing with the other applicants at this point. For now, just focus on doing your best on the interview and don't think about your MCAT or GPA because they already gave you an II. You deserve your II and now you're gonna do great on it, too! 🙂
January? JANUARY??!!Complete 7/12. MSTP (MD/PhD) II received on 9/2. Interviewed 10/3 & 10/4. LM: 74.8, WARS: 92. (ORM, OOS)
Fingers crossed! They said MD/PhD will hear back “by November,” with MD-only hearing back January 31st.
Complete end of July, II in early SeptemberHas anyone who was complete after 7/7 received anything?
Yeah it's always been Jan 31st. My best friend interviewed 2 cycles ago and had his interview early Sept and got accepted Jan 31, in the meantime he received an II, interviewed and got accepted at another school lol but still chose Pitt in the endJanuary? JANUARY??!!
As a former Pitt Med student, I just want to re-iterate what @MCAThiccy said. My GPA was very meh and had no research. Thought I had a snowballs chance in hell of getting in. But had a great interview and miraculously was accepted. Spoke to my interviewer a couple years later and they told me that they had ranked me high for admission which indicates to me that while MCAT and GPA is considered, after you get the II they just want to get to know YOU and see how you will fit Pitt. As stated above, they like you and are on an even footing with the other interviewees. Congratulations and good luck.Anyone know how much they weigh stats/ECs post-interview? Or does an II mean you're "safe" in that regard? My interview is coming up and I'm psyching myself out because my GPA is meh, and I don't have a lot of clinical volunteering 🙁
goodluckpanda!
Full Member
As a former Pitt Med student, I just want to re-iterate what @MCAThiccy said. My GPA was very meh and had no research. Thought I had a snowballs chance in hell of getting in. But had a great interview and miraculously was accepted. Spoke to my interviewer a couple years later and they told me that they had ranked me high for admission which indicates to me that while MCAT and GPA is considered, after you get the II they just want to get to know YOU and see how you will fit Pitt. As stated above, they like you and are on an even footing with the other interviewees. Congratulations and good luck.
Do you think that since they rank soon after your interview that any updates I would send now would not be seen? I interviewed in August.
Catamount802
Full Member
I'M GOING TO BE A DOCTOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just got a call with the A from Pitt's MSTP!!!!!!!!
Congratulations!! Very happy for you!!I'M GOING TO BE A DOCTOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just got a call with the A from Pitt's MSTP!!!!!!!!
I am so happy for you 🙂 best of luck <3I'M GOING TO BE A DOCTOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just got a call with the A from Pitt's MSTP!!!!!!!!
Congrats!!I'M GOING TO BE A DOCTOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just got a call with the A from Pitt's MSTP!!!!!!!!
Last edited:
matrihound
Full Member
Congratulations! You should come join some of the MD/PhD Forums if you're interested!I'M GOING TO BE A DOCTOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just got a call with the A from Pitt's MSTP!!!!!!!!
***2022-2023 MD/PhD Interview Invites***
** 2022-2023 MD/PhD Acceptances **
Among others
misstomdhopefully
Full Member
Hi everyone 🙂 For people that have interviewed, did they release the names of your interviewers before your interview date?
Catamount802
Full Member
Yup!Hi everyone 🙂 For people that have interviewed, did they release the names of your interviewers before your interview date?
matrihound
Full Member
Not for the MD interviewHi everyone 🙂 For people that have interviewed, did they release the names of your interviewers before your interview date?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
misstomdhopefully
Full Member
Thanks and congrats on your acceptance!Yup!
misstomdhopefully
Full Member
Thanks for your reply!Not for the MD interview
cilantrosoap
Full Member
Can any students here speak on how frequent exams are? I know some schools are weekly or biweekly, is that the case here?
I got an MSTP ii last friday (10/21) if that means anything to youAre they still sending out IIs? I haven't heard any news (have been complete since early August)?
OOS ORM LM 79.6 complete 7/31