You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2022-2023 Pittsburgh
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Pre II R today , complete 8/9 🙁 congrats to all people still in the running
BigFyoochurHendy
Full Member
A few people on this thread have been complete in September and heard their decision, so I don't think there's any rhyme or reason to when you'll hearI was complete mid-august and I'm shaking
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Link? when in Sept?A few people on this thread have been complete in September and heard their decision, so I don't think there's any rhyme or reason to when you'll hear
I think some of them were ED (who got the As)
Last edited:
Told y'all!
BigFyoochurHendy
Full Member
Sorry, I meant to say there's people on this sub (page 8) that completed in September and already received an II/R. Meaning there's no rhyme or reason for when they're reviewing apps, cause people have submitted in August and haven't heard backLink? when in Sept?
Can confirm, completed on Aug 26 and silence. Portal still says app under review.Sorry, I meant to say there's people on this sub (page 8) that completed in September and already received an II/R. Meaning there's no rhyme or reason for when they're reviewing apps, cause people have submitted in August and haven't heard back
D
deleted1139574
Pitt R, Completed 8/30
When would be the optimal time to send a letter of intent? And anyone know if they tend to be receptive to that?
When would be the optimal time to send a letter of intent? And anyone know if they tend to be receptive to that?
I’m about to send an update letter and was wondering where exactly to send it. I would assume just the email I sent my thank you letters to.
I’m gonna save a letter of intent for later in the cycle if needed, personally!
new publication ?I’m about to send an update letter and was wondering where exactly to send it. I would assume just the email I sent my thank you letters to.
I’m gonna save a letter of intent for later in the cycle if needed, personally!
new publication ?
Nope! They mentioned during the interview that it might be a good idea to send one at some point since the secondary doesn’t directly ask about your activities during 2022-2023, so I’m letting them know about some new service I’ve been involved in and about my current professional role.
When would be the optimal time to send a letter of intent? And anyone know if they tend to be receptive to that?
I just sent one on Monday to [email protected]
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Pre II R received just now
Pre-II R, complete 8/26...good luck to everyone in the running <3
D
deleted1141024
Pre II R, Complete 8/15. Good luck to those in the running!
capybarazzz
Full Member
Pre-II R, complete 8/18
D
deleted1118591
+1Pre-II R, complete 8/18
Pre-II R same email. First official R of the cycle 🙁 have multiple pubs and super research heavy as wellPre II R received just now
prefrontalvortex
New Member
Pre-II R; complete 8/30
Pre-II R today too. Complete 8/24
goodluckpanda!
Full Member
For people who interviewed, I sent my thank you letters directly to the people who interviewed me and didn't cc admissions. Do we think I should cc those thank you letters, or does it just not matter? Interviewed 8/30
noname8291
Full Member
what is the vibe of the group exercise part of the interview day?
what is the vibe of the group exercise part of the interview day?
Really collaborative, they will have a proctor and assign you to a small Zoom group. They present a case or a problem (I've heard this varies on the specific case) and have you discuss as a group how you would approach problem-solving the scenario. My advice would be to thoughtfully contribute, ask follow-up or prompt questions to your group mates by name, and wait your turn respectfully. In my scenario there was not a 'right' answer, they are just feeling out your ability to work in a group. In my particular session, one student asked thoughtful follow-up questions to other students, indicating they were actively listening, and that really impressed me.
I did the same thing fwiwFor people who interviewed, I sent my thank you letters directly to the people who interviewed me and didn't cc admissions. Do we think I should cc those thank you letters, or does it just not matter? Interviewed 8/30
I honestly had a hard time with it because the Zoom format makes it difficult to have natural dialogue/know when your turn is to speak. Sometimes people start talking at the same time, and when that happened to me I would just tell the other person to go ahead. There was also one student who was kind of dominating the conversation. The scenario itself is not difficult, though, and everyone was nice. The format is inherently awkward so I hope they take that into account. And fwiw my student interviewer told me that everyone gets scored highly so long as you talk 🤷♀️what is the vibe of the group exercise part of the interview day?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I also caught a pre-II R yesterday - 8/23 complete date.
For those who interviewed, did they ask you really detailed questions about your research (ie., why did you use this line, explain to me how western blot works---which is what I heard from people who interviewed at other places)? also was research a big part of your conversation(if you have extensive research experience)? Sorry if these questions sound kinda dumb...stressing out for my upcoming interview lol
So Many Rs and no II
heyheyheyheyheyheyheyhey
Full Member
yes -- fairly detailed (eg why'd you do this not that, describe your findings, what would you do next). if it was big part of the app, it'll likely be a big part of the convoFor those who interviewed, did they ask you really detailed questions about your research (ie., why did you use this line, explain to me how western blot works---which is what I heard from people who interviewed at other places)? also was research a big part of your conversation(if you have extensive research experience)? Sorry if these questions sound kinda dumb...stressing out for my upcoming interview lol
milesofmedicine
Full Member
Had my interview yesterday and research was the biggest part of my app. I think it depends on who interviews you; for example, my interviewer was a nephrologist, whereas my research is in neurology, so there weren't too specific questions about protocol. Just mainly big pictureFor those who interviewed, did they ask you really detailed questions about your research (ie., why did you use this line, explain to me how western blot works---which is what I heard from people who interviewed at other places)? also was research a big part of your conversation(if you have extensive research experience)? Sorry if these questions sound kinda dumb...stressing out for my upcoming interview lol
current student -- depends on the block. Some courses eg immunology had one big final exam, other courses eg micro had two exams and quizzes. It's pretty fluid - the course directors do a decent job of implementing changes based on our feedback, so I imagine it'll be different by the time any of y'all get here.Can any students here speak on how frequent exams are? I know some schools are weekly or biweekly, is that the case here?
as an aside - I'd recommend choosing a school for things besides its curriculum. A large percentage of us end up using third-party resources anyway, and things like this matter a whole lot less than other factors (location, professional interests/opportunities, etc.). Whatever the curriculum is, you'll adapt and do just fine. You're pretty much a professional student by this point. Good luck
Thank you so much!Had my interview yesterday and research was the biggest part of my app. I think it depends on who interviews you; for example, my interviewer was a nephrologist, whereas my research is in neurology, so there weren't too specific questions about protocol. Just mainly big picture
lilscientist14
Full Member
Both of my interviews were closed file, except my faculty interviewer had my PS only. I have a SUPER research heavy app but since it wasn't emphasized in my PS I didn't get a single question about it, lol.yes -- fairly detailed (eg why'd you do this not that, describe your findings, what would you do next). if it was big part of the app, it'll likely be a big part of the convo
D
deleted1135362
How long are each of the interviews?
For mine surprisingly no/wasn’t grilled on my research experience. I think it came up a little bit but it most certainly did not dominate the conversation.For those who interviewed, did they ask you really detailed questions about your research (ie., why did you use this line, explain to me how western blot works---which is what I heard from people who interviewed at other places)? also was research a big part of your conversation(if you have extensive research experience)? Sorry if these questions sound kinda dumb...stressing out for my upcoming interview lol
For those who interviewed, did they ask you really detailed questions about your research (ie., why did you use this line, explain to me how western blot works---which is what I heard from people who interviewed at other places)? also was research a big part of your conversation(if you have extensive research experience)? Sorry if these questions sound kinda dumb...stressing out for my upcoming interview lol
One of my interviewers grilled me the entire time on my research since he researches the same condition
D
deleted1117431
My research was a hugeee part of my application, personal statement and activities etc. I didn’t get asked a single question about it and my interviewers were both heavily involved in research. My faculty interviewer was “90% research 10% clinical”. I was disappointed it didn’t come up, I tried to bring my work into conversation and neither seemed interested. I found this to be the case in almost all my interviews not just at this schoolFor those who interviewed, did they ask you really detailed questions about your research (ie., why did you use this line, explain to me how western blot works---which is what I heard from people who interviewed at other places)? also was research a big part of your conversation(if you have extensive research experience)? Sorry if these questions sound kinda dumb...stressing out for my upcoming interview lol
30 min eachHow long are each of the interviews?
Still no R but I feel the end of near.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Bruh, how are they gonna delay decisions until Feb 17th this year? 🙁
The way they slid that little tidbit in at the end has me cackling.
“The west wing is gonna be CA-YUTTTTTEEEE
Oh and we need a couple more weeks for decisions [emoji3590]”
“The west wing is gonna be CA-YUTTTTTEEEE
Oh and we need a couple more weeks for decisions [emoji3590]”
For those keeping track at home, it will be a full seven months between the first II going out and decisions actually being releasedBruh, how are they gonna delay decisions until Feb 17th this year? 🙁
Are they doing more interviews than they had planned on? Or are they just taking longer to go through secondaries? Cause I know originally they were supposed to be done interviewing by mid-January
D
deleted1117431
Where did you find the information on applications this cycle? How many fewer? Just curiousI would guess taking longer to go through secondaries. I have noticed that many schools are running behind compared to past years. Why? Idk really know. This cycle has fewer applicants than in previous years. I'm curious if a current student can give us more insight.