2022-2023 Tulane

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Geez those numbers make getting an interview seem completely unattainable. Insane!
Not to sound harsh but genuinely curious how many of those applications have MCAT scores/GPAs that fall within the 10th/25th percentile as they appear on MSAR vs how many of those individuals applied with stats outside that range because Tulane has a reputation for being more forgiving than other schools about having low stats. Any chances that helps make these numbers astronomical?
 
Obviously not enough. It’s really not fair how a “Tulane likes early applicants” somehow turns into “they can’t even give you a spot with even the perfect app if you apply out of the first month secondaries are open (july)…. “

Edit: I apologize for my pessimism. It’s just frustrating.
I am sorry you are feeling frustrated, this is a tough process. Just remember Tulane gets like 16,000 applicants and only interview around 600. Many many MANY "perfect" applicants get overlooked. If you take this process personally, you are going to really struggle. Sending you good vibes! Head up, this process is a long journey 🙂
 
Not to sound harsh but genuinely curious how many of those applications have MCAT scores/GPAs that fall within the 10th/25th percentile as they appear on MSAR vs how many of those individuals applied with stats outside that range because Tulane has a reputation for being more forgiving than other schools about having low stats. Any chances that helps make these numbers astronomical?
As someone with a GPA below their 25th percentile, I absolutely suspect that this is part of it. 😅 I also know lots of people who have very high stats but might not align with the school’s mission very well who try to throw in Tulane as a “safety” (which isn’t really a thing for med school admissions…at least not the way it is for undergrad) since it has a fairly good reputation and accepts a wide range of stats…this also probably drives up the numbers.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As someone with a GPA below their 25th percentile, I absolutely suspect that this is part of it. 😅 I also know lots of people who have very high stats but might not align with the school’s mission very well who try to throw in Tulane as a “safety” (which isn’t really a thing for med school admissions) since it has a fairly good reputation and accepts a wide range of stats…this also probably drives up the numbers.
Yea that seems right, a bunch of people probably add tulane to the list when they see a wider range of stats compared to a lot of schools although I think a lot of it is genuine enthusiasm and wanting that tulane culture. This thread has over a thousand responses which is wayyy more than any other med school thread so I wouldn't think too many are just blindly applying.
 
As someone with a GPA below their 25th percentile, I absolutely suspect that this is part of it. 😅 I also know lots of people who have very high stats but might not align with the school’s mission very well who try to throw in Tulane as a “safety” (which isn’t really a thing for med school admissions…at least not the way it is for undergrad) since it has a fairly good reputation and accepts a wide range of stats…this also probably drives up the numbers.
Oh I mean my undergrad GPA is definite under their 25th percentile too lmao. I’m just wondering what it is about Tulane that makes it SO popular in terms of sheer number of applications.
 
Oh I mean my undergrad GPA is definite under their 25th percentile too lmao. I’m just wondering what it is about Tulane that makes it SO popular in terms of sheer number of applications.
It’s likely a combination of the factors that have been listed (wide stat range, good reputation, and desirable location/unique culture).

Georgetown is the closest to Tulane in number of apps, and it has much of this as well.
 
Has anyone seen Tulane’s facilities? That is the only thing I have slight concerns about, just watching the virtual tour on YouTube. Seems like the medical school being just a part of a multi floor building might be a different feel than an actual campus and smaller buildings specifically designed for the medical school. I’d love to hear peoples’ thoughts!
 
Has anyone seen Tulane’s facilities? That is the only thing I have slight concerns about, just watching the virtual tour on YouTube. Seems like the medical school being just a part of a multi floor building might be a different feel than an actual campus and smaller buildings specifically designed for the medical school. I’d love to hear peoples’ thoughts!
I completed a master’s at the med school this past year and can say from what I saw it definitely does give it a different feeling than a stand-alone campus. My classes were in the Hutchinson Memorial building, and I visited the Murphy building once as well. The med students seem to spend most of their time in Murphy. Would mostly see them in Hutch if they were going to anatomy lab because that’s where that is or if they were studying in the library there.

When I was there, I would also go to the undergrad campus sometimes to study, so that is an option as well. But it is a bit further away.

I think it has its pros and cons. I liked the downtown feel, and the city views from Murphy the one time I visited were nice. But I can also see how having a separate campus for the school would have its benefits. It seems like they are trying to create a more campus-y vibe since they opened a new gym downtown (right as I was leaving the city grrr LOL) and a new apartment complex for just Tulane students/residents.
 
Last edited:
Has anyone seen Tulane’s facilities? That is the only thing I have slight concerns about, just watching the virtual tour on YouTube. Seems like the medical school being just a part of a multi floor building might be a different feel than an actual campus and smaller buildings specifically designed for the medical school. I’d love to hear peoples’ thoughts!
One of my jobs now is at Hutchinson. I agree with timu1996 and their points about it. Tulane is currently trying to make the downtown campus much more of a "one stop shop" than it has been in the past. There's also a huge expansion being done right now at the site of Charity Hospital.

Tulane's facilities are not pretty, but they do not really hurt the medical education of opportunities available. There are a ton of study and work spaces with fantastic resources even available to me as an employee.
 
City and Nola look incredible, not too excited about New Orleans being the new homicide capitol of the US but I hope its going to get much better

Yea just don’t be ignorant like people who walk the streets at night. I can’t even tell you how many students I see that are walking in some of the most dangerous areas of the city… Just have to use good judgement.
 
Has anyone reached out to the school to explain a specific situation regarding grades?

I am non-traditional (mid-30s) and have extremely poor grades from over a decade ago that have significantly impacted my cumulative GPA. My post-bacc GPA for ~40 hours of BCPM classes is essentially a 4.0 and I'm enrolled in a Master's program with a 4.0. Needless to say, my old grades are not reflective of my ability as much as they are a reflection of a really terrible period in my life that I've since learned and grown from.

Tulane is my #1 choice and I feel compelled to write and explain myself so they won't toss out my app as soon as they see my cGPA, but I'm not sure if that is necessary or if it would be received poorly. This cGPA is the only reason I didn't apply ED to Tulane and I'm really worried it might get me kicked out of their RD screening process if I don't reach out to explain. For me, this app cycle will truly be a test to see if they are honest about the holistic review because I feel like I fit the school perfectly otherwise...I'm just worried about the cGPA :arghh:.

Sorry for the long post. I never post here, so I wanted to provide context and I figured if anyone has insight it would be this group. Thanks in advance!

tl;dr I'm nervous about submitting my secondary without reaching out to the school in advance to explain a low cGPA that's the result of poor performance in numerous classes over a decade ago. I'm curious if anyone else has reached out to explain circumstances like this.
Did you not explain it in the disadvantaged essay for AMCAS ? I did and am in a vaguely similar situation.

I have not applied to this school but many secondaries have questions about challenges (GWU for example)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Would people suggest not bothering submitting my secondary at this point??
No please Im just expressing my opinion. I think this school actually does look at all applications. There just fewer slots that people are competing for.

As a non trad, this is exactly the type of school I was looking for :/
 
No please Im just expressing my opinion. I think this school actually does look at all applications. There just fewer slots that people are competing for.

As a non trad, this is exactly the type of school I was looking for :/

I am a non trad too. I wish I had submitted earlier it’s just that I didn’t get my mcat score back till end of august and I wasn’t expecting to do well enough so I thought I’d need to retake and apply next year. Welp turns out I have the stats but alllll of my applications ended up being superrrr late. Upset with the circumstances but it is what it is. Just reading the posts on here are making me hesitant to submit my secondary…
 
I am a non trad too. I wish I had submitted earlier it’s just that I didn’t get my mcat score back till end of august and I wasn’t expecting to do well enough so I thought I’d need to retake and apply next year. Welp turns out I have the stats but alllll of my applications ended up being superrrr late. Upset with the circumstances but it is what it is. Just reading the posts on here are making me hesitant to submit my secondary…
I understand how it can be frustrating but your higher than expected score only helps. Tulane has such a large emphasis on applying early compared to most other programs due to sheer number of applications they receive. I'd shoot your best shot at other programs and make sure to apply early next year if needed.
 
I understand how it can be frustrating but your higher than expected score only helps. Tulane has such a large emphasis on applying early compared to most other programs due to sheer number of applications they receive. I'd shoot your best shot at other programs and make sure to apply early next year if needed.

Thank you for the candidness. The hopeful in me wants to shoot my shot but I think I needed to hear someone being practical.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ED people: did your hearts drop when you saw the email? I thought they were sending out decisions early [emoji1787]. Really nice of them to let us know!
 
Tulane University School of Medicine

First year class size: 191 (large).

High tuition at 60k, NOLA isn't cheap, and very low-yield school with well over 10k apps. Also, they love early applicants. By September when I interviewed, the dean had told us that they had already given out 75% of their interview invites. She straight up told us that they LOVE early applicants lol it was funny.-Source

-75% II given out by September lol, explains the scheduling all the way out till March
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is it still worth turning in a secondary here hahahaha
its a no from me dawg GIF
 
Did you not explain it in the disadvantaged essay for AMCAS ? I did and am in a vaguely similar situation.

I have not applied to this school but many secondaries have questions about challenges (GWU for example)
I did explain it in the disadvantaged essay. I just worry that I may not get through other preliminary filters before someone actually reads that to provide context to the rest of my application/stats.
 
Last edited: