2022-2023 UC Davis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My app was verified 6/10. Still haven’t received anything from Davis. Should I assume I won’t be getting a secondary from them? IS and grew up in the Bay Area. I retook the MCAT (score is being released on Tuesday) so are they waiting for that?
thats what i'm assuming. i am also waiting for a score release.

Members don't see this ad.

thats what i'm assuming. i am also waiting for a score release.
Ok thanks! It’s strange though because I don’t think they screen for GPA or MCAT so I don’t know why they would need to wait. I’m just hoping I get one from them. Graduated from a UC for undergrad and would love the chance to even just submit a secondary to Davis

Ok thanks! It’s strange though because I don’t think they screen for GPA or MCAT so I don’t know why they would need to wait. I’m just hoping I get one from them. Graduated from a UC for undergrad and would love the chance to even just submit a secondary to Davis
same! last cycle they unfortunately did not send me one. This cycle I really hope they do since I grew up and live in the area!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
does Davis require preview scores to be in to get a secondary? I'm instate, above their average stats, with a very underserved-focused app and still haven't gotten a secondary :/

does Davis require preview scores to be in to get a secondary? I'm instate, above their average stats, with a very underserved-focused app and still haven't gotten a secondary :/
i got mine and i dont have my preview score yet.

I did improve my application for the current cycle. just waiting for the mcat score. they may be waiting for that to send me a secondary.
Awesome. Good luck this cycle. Hang in there.

My app was verified 6/10. Still haven’t received anything from Davis. Should I assume I won’t be getting a secondary from them? IS and grew up in the Bay Area. I retook the MCAT (score is being released on Tuesday) so are they waiting for that?
Your application is alive and well. Takes a while for the cycle to really get going. Hang in there.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How selective is UCD for sending out secondaries? I'm OOS and received secondary. I am wondering if it's worth filling out.

How selective is UCD for sending out secondaries? I'm OOS and received secondary. I am wondering if it's worth filling out.
Hello, MS2 here. Depends on how interested in the school you are. Applying as OOS is definitely a long shot. For my class, UCD interviewed a total of 7 OOS students and matriculated 6 (I don't know how many submitted a secondary). Class of 2026 had 17 OOS interviews with 5 matriculating. I applied from OOS, and my only ties to the area were my husband's extended family. I am UMR and from a rural community though, so my experiences likely fit what they were looking for.

In terms of how many get a secondary, usually its around 2500-3000 total (varies based on overall number of applicants and fit). About 500 or so interviews are offered each year (again, could be more based on number of overall secondaries submitted and fit).

Last edited:
Hello, MS2 here. Depends on how interested in the school you are. Applying as OOS is definitely a long shot. For my class, UCD interviewed a total of 7 OOS students and matriculated 6 (I don't know how many submitted a secondary). Class of 2026 had 17 OOS interviews with 5 matriculating. I applied from OOS, and my only ties to the area were my husband's extended family. I am UMR and from a rural community though, so my experiences likely fit what they were looking for.

In terms of how many get a secondary, usually its around 2500-3000 total (varies based on overall number of applicants and fit). About 500 or so interviews are offered each year (again, could be more based on number of overall secondaries submitted and fit).
Thanks for the insight! I have no ties to the area except my family lives in SoCal. I am ORM but could be a unique applicant with immigration experience as a teenager?? It seems like a long shot as OOS. I may just give it a shot though since FAP covers secondary fees...

No UCD secondary yet. Grew up in Sac and was hoping to at least get a secondary. Stats are above their average and I have good ECs. I did go to school out of state so not sure if that is the barrier. Funny, I did a WAMC on SDN and the adcom said UCD was the only UC I should apply to. I applied to all but UCSF and managed to get secondaries from UCSD and UCLA--but no UCD and UCI where my stats and activities are more aligned. There is no figuring this stuff out.

No UCD secondary yet. Grew up in Sac and was hoping to at least get a secondary. Stats are above their average and I have good ECs. I did go to school out of state so not sure if that is the barrier. Funny, I did a WAMC on SDN and the adcom said UCD was the only UC I should apply to. I applied to all but UCSF and managed to get secondaries from UCSD and UCLA--but no UCD and UCI where my stats and activities are more aligned. There is no figuring this stuff out.
My impression is that they thoroughly screen for mission fit, regardless of stats. It's also early in the cycle :)

i feel it! no secondary. grew up and currently living in sac

OOS secondary received. Just got my MCAT score and received secondary a few hours later.

Edit: To put this in context, I got a master's at UCD and I work in rural primary care for a system that is part of the " UC Davis center for rural excellence" (I may have the name slightly wrong)

Last edited:
how did y'all fill out the units on the prerequisites page? i went to a university on the semester system so i assumed that any semester class was considered 4 units on the secondary application. however at my school, some of my bio/chem classes were only 3 credits and others were 4, so my 2 intro bio classes don't add up to 8 if i were to put 6 so i'm confused.

how did y'all fill out the units on the prerequisites page? i went to a university on the semester system so i assumed that any semester class was considered 4 units on the secondary application. however at my school, some of my bio/chem classes were only 3 credits and others were 4, so my 2 intro bio classes don't add up to 8 if i were to put 6 so i'm confused.
I had the same issue, I just included an extra class (like biochem for example) for a total of like 10 semester units

I was waiting for my 7/19 score release too and I got it later that day. Hopefully you did too, Good luck!!

Preview scores for the first testing date will be released on the 27th, do I need to do anything for Davis to receive that score or is it automatically sent to them?

Getting a secondary isn’t automatic. They read the application. They look at all your metrics and from there they will determine whether you get a secondary. So if you didn’t get a secondary re-look at your application and figure out what you can improve for the next cycle.
Really? For me it seemed automatic. My MCAT score just came out today & I got the secondary immediately after. So, I assumed that there was a screening of MCAT scores & possibly GPA

They may also screen as they receive the apps but only released the secondary to you if you were about their mcat threshold?
Really? For me it seemed automatic. My MCAT score just came out today & I got the secondary immediately after. So, I assumed that there was a screening of MCAT scores & possibly GPA

It’s a computer screen. Adcoms only review apps that do not pass the initial screen. They’ll then decide whether to send a secondary or reject the applicant.

After you’ve submitted a secondary, several people will read your primary/secondary app before determining whether you are offered an interview.

Does anyone have any idea how much Davis weights Preview? I just got my score back and it's not terrible but also not as good as I was hoping and Davis is one of my top choices

Do you think if I haven’t gotten a secondary by now I won’t get one? I was verified around June 10 and have gotten all other UC secondaries.

I have high stats 519/4.0, Im in-state (SoCal), and have a sibling who went to Davis and lives in Davis so could definitely see myself also living there.

I know they prioritize Central Valley/ NorCal but wish there was a way for me to let them know about this connection before the secondary lol

Do you think if I haven’t gotten a secondary by now I won’t get one? I was verified around June 10 and have gotten all other UC secondaries.

I have high stats 519/4.0, Im in-state (SoCal), and have a sibling who went to Davis and lives in Davis so could definitely see myself also living there.

I know they prioritize Central Valley/ NorCal but wish there was a way for me to let them know about this connection before the secondary lol

This^ I feel like I have connections with some of these locations but can’t even explain because they don’t send secondaries lol. Like how am I supposed to explain how my entire maternal side of the family lives in central/Northern California and that I would travel up there to visit like multiple times a year, if I don’t even get a secondary smh

I was verified

Do you know if it impacts our chances if we don't select of the scholarly pathways? I've been reaching them and I am not interested in them.

I was verified

Do you know if it impacts our chances if we don't select of the scholarly pathways? I've been reaching them and I am not interested in them.
Scholarly pathway essays are only looked at by the specific programs after you’ve interviewed/been accepted. They’re not considered for an interview invite, so if you skip them, it won’t affect your chances.

Scholarly pathway essays are only looked at by the specific programs after you’ve interviewed/been accepted. They’re not considered for an interview invite, so if you skip them, it won’t affect your chances.
Are you in a scholarly program?

Looks like last year, interviews invite started coming next Tuesday

Last edited:
Do I need to have a PREview score in order for them to send a secondary?

For those who got their mcat score released, how long did it take for yall to get a secondary after that. I got my mcat score released and wanted to know when does davis usually send secondaries after my mcat was released today???

For those who got their mcat score released, how long did it take for yall to get a secondary after that. I got my mcat score released and wanted to know when does davis usually send secondaries after my mcat was released today???

It was a few hours later for me.