2022-2023 UT Houston (McGovern)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They interviewed at University of Houston, it’s a different school
For some reason thought I was in the UH thread, haha. Sorry about that!

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just interviewed here and it went great! HOWEVER, the second interview was tough. I actually had to zone in for that one. He was asking me those questions that are "sniffing out the BS." Thankfully, I wasn't BSing, but if you were, GL. Also, I don't wanna reveal myself by being too specific, but I was asked PHYSIOLOGY questions. Like REALLY man?!? I guess it worked out because I knew the answers, but what a curveball...

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users
I just interviewed here and it went great! HOWEVER, the second interview was tough. I actually had to zone in for that one. He was asking me those questions that are "sniffing out the BS." Thankfully, I wasn't BSing, but if you were, GL. Also, I don't wanna reveal myself by being too specific, but I was asked PHYSIOLOGY questions. Like REALLY man?!? I guess it worked out because I knew the answers, but what a curveball...
Was it based on your resume? I think someone here mentioned before there are people at McGovern who do ask serious subject matter questions.

That’s crazy, my experience was the total opposite. Both very relaxed and going over my CV and other traditional questions. I have heard from others tho that some interviewers will ask tough questions.

Reactions: 1 user
That’s crazy, my experience was the total opposite. Both very relaxed and going over my CV and other traditional questions. I have heard from others tho that some interviewers will ask tough questions.
I loved my interview day personally, staff , students and interviewers were all kind and welcoming. Really made me like the program

I loved my interview day personally, staff , students and interviewers were all kind and welcoming. Really made me like the program
I had a similar experience. I fell in love with this school after interview day. I just hope the feeling is mutual😭

IS II just now! URM, LM 70, Complete 8/25!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else wait a while for the night before discussions to start? I am wondering if they aren't doing it this time. It was supposed to start at 5 pm CST.

Anyone else wait a while for the night before discussions to start? I am wondering if they aren't doing it this time. It was supposed to start at 5 pm CST.
They seem to keep having these issues. We have been having rains in Houston and they depend on people working from home to start these meetings.

II just now. Completed 5/27/22 (before I turned 22 lmao), IS, URM, 512, 3.95, no research, no ties, was born with a cowboy hat and a vest on. I thought I got skipped over. Yeehaw!!

Reactions: 10 users
II just now. Completed 5/27/22 (before I turned 22 lmao), IS, URM, 512, 3.95, no research, no ties, was born with a cowboy hat and a vest on. I thought I got skipped over. Yeehaw!!
You’re definitely the mc of TMDSAS this cycle 🙇‍♂️ Ridiculous plot & character armor

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
II on 8/29! Complete 7/31, IS

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Have any OOS applicants received interview invites?

II just now, I almost had a stroke! 502, 4.0, ORM, LM 66 :love:. I got rejected at some OOS DO schools for my low MCAT. I'm just feeling so blessed right now. Good luck to everyone <3

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
II! Really wasn't expecting this one!!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
II just now, I almost had a stroke! 502, 4.0, ORM, LM 66 :love:. I got rejected at some OOS DO schools for my low MCAT. I'm just feeling so blessed right now. Good luck to everyone <3
Congrats! Complete date?

Do schools when they interview you, give you a major problem - required deposits of $1500 or lose the seat. If you get into one with a low deposit of $100-200 you can hold at least one seat but as you keep interviewing and getting admitted, you have to keep giving up your seat unless you are willing to pay the deposit to hold onto the admission.

Just received my first II and it was from McGovern (currently crying at work!). It seems from their sign-up that interviews are entirely virtual this year, but is that correct? I just want to double check that I don't need to be booking a plane ticket to Houston...

Edit: 3.9, 515, ORM, OOS with ties

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Do schools when they interview you, give you a major problem - required deposits of $1500 or lose the seat. If you get into one with a low deposit of $100-200 you can hold at least one seat but as you keep interviewing and getting admitted, you have to keep giving up your seat unless you are willing to pay the deposit to hold onto the admission.
Yup, ACOM wants $2000 for a deposit, but most MD schools will take $100 for a deposit.

Just received my first II and it was from McGovern (currently crying at work!). It seems from their sign-up that interviews are entirely virtual this year, but is that correct? I just want to double check that I don't need to be booking a plane ticket to Houston...

Edit: 3.9, 515, ORM, OOS with ties
Ahhhh your stats are so similar to mine as an OOS applicant to McGovern! Fingers crossed because TMC is the dream

Yup, ACOM wants $2000 for a deposit, but most MD schools will take $100 for a deposit.
There are DO schools with only $100 deposit but most want 2000 (I thought 1500 but dont know if it went up). I knew someone last cycle who was admitted to 14 schools but kept giving up the admission as more kept coming and then had to pay 3 of them because they could not decide (including ACOM). Ended up going to an MD school so lost all the deposits.

• Sad
There are DO schools with only $100 deposit but most want 2000 (I thought 1500 but dont know if it went up). I knew someone last cycle who was admitted to 14 schools but kept giving up the admission as more kept coming and then had to pay 3 of them because they could not decide (including ACOM). Ended up going to an MD school so lost all the deposits.
Oof. I suppose in the grand scheme of things, a few thousand dollars for peace of mind is worth it.

I'm hoping for a pre-match, so I don't have to waste $1,500 to $2,000. I def went overboard with applying via AACOMAS.

Has anyone heard anything from the MSTP program, or does anyone know when they will send interview invites?

Has anyone heard anything from the MSTP program, or does anyone know when they will send interview invites?
Aside from an email stating "If you have not already done so, please complete the MD/PhD secondary application by following this link" followed by a clarification email that applicants who had applied to the MD only program as well did not need to complete the secondary, I have not received anything else regarding the mstp program.

According to last years interview invite thread the first II posted from Mcgovern said it was received early September and the last was received in January.

Aside from an email stating "If you have not already done so, please complete the MD/PhD secondary application by following this link" followed by a clarification email that applicants who had applied to the MD only program as well did not need to complete the secondary, I have not received anything else regarding the mstp program.

According to last years interview invite thread the first II posted from Mcgovern said it was received early September and the last was received in January.
Well that was spooky, they sent the same email again 10 minutes after I posted this.

• Wow
Well that was spooky, they sent the same email again 10 minutes after I posted this.
Oh man just noticed that.. any idea why they'd send a second time? the logical answer would be to assume that some applicants don't realize there's a secondary because McGovern doesn't have a portal, but I don't want to be the one who makes such a claim

The interview calendar says their first date is October 6, so in 4 weeks. Maybe their email was like a "last call" to all applicants, get your secondary in before we start reviewing apps next week?

Oh man just noticed that.. any idea why they'd send a second time? the logical answer would be to assume that some applicants don't realize there's a secondary because McGovern doesn't have a portal, but I don't want to be the one who makes such a claim
I assume it is likely what you mentioned regarding October 6th, and that their email was a last call to all applicants. But I don't want to believe that they haven't started reviewing applications yet lol. Could also be that while they are reviewing they are noticing a trend that the majority of people who have not submitted secondaries, but did submit a primary, did not apply to to be considered for the MD program as well.

Just wanted to provide some info as I interviewed here last week.

First, a piece of information that stood out to me from the dean of admissions was that McGovern does not send out many pre-match acceptances. In her words, “We like to participate in the spirit of the match.”

Interviews were very casual. There was a good mix of questions they had pre-selected and follow up questions about things I mentioned.

Overall, McGovern REALLY impressed me. This was my first interview, so I don’t have anything to compare it to, but the vibe was very positive.

Reactions: 12 users
II just now! Applied early June so I thought they rejected me, but so happy I get to interview :)

Reactions: 5 users
The McGovern Interview Day packet and Curriculum video (it has information about McGovern and possible answers for your Why Us question, plus it's good information for future applicants):
\

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
In-state II received today, LizzyM 71, ORM. It's my first II ever! I wasn't expecting any attention from Texas schools since I prioritized AMCAS and wasn't complete until late August, but I'm ecstatic. Definitely nervous because I'm not great at interviews, but I'm gonna try to do as much research and practice as much as I can!

*Edited stats to be less specific

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
In-state II received today, 510 MCAT, 4.0 GPA, ORM. It's my first II ever! I wasn't expecting any attention from Texas schools since I prioritized AMCAS and wasn't complete until late August, but I'm ecstatic. Definitely nervous because I'm not great at interviews, but I'm gonna try to do as much research and practice as much as I can!
Good luck. Your stats are more appropriate to Texas than AMCAS. Most OOS schools are accepting lower GPAs but expect higher MCAT scores to be considered for a II. You should receive a few more in Texas for sure.

• Dislike