You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2022-2023 Virginia Commonwealth
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Here are the options for the waitlist:
"I do not currently hold a seat at another institution and wish to join the VCU School of Medicine Alternate List
I currently hold a seat at another institution but still wish to join the VCU School of Medicine Alternate List
I do not wish to join waitlist"
The second option applies to me. How does this affect my chances if I am already accepted elsewhere? Is my rank moved down or is this solely for data collection purposes?
"I do not currently hold a seat at another institution and wish to join the VCU School of Medicine Alternate List
I currently hold a seat at another institution but still wish to join the VCU School of Medicine Alternate List
I do not wish to join waitlist"
The second option applies to me. How does this affect my chances if I am already accepted elsewhere? Is my rank moved down or is this solely for data collection purposes?
Did anyone not get put on the waitlist?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
pandemicflames
Full Member
I doubt it would hurt your chances. They want to accept the most qualified people. If you have an acceptance somewhere else, accepting the waitlist offer shows them you really are interested in their school.Here are the options for the waitlist:
"I do not currently hold a seat at another institution and wish to join the VCU School of Medicine Alternate List
I currently hold a seat at another institution but still wish to join the VCU School of Medicine Alternate List
I do not wish to join waitlist"
The second option applies to me. How does this affect my chances if I am already accepted elsewhere? Is my rank moved down or is this solely for data collection purposes?
That would make sense to me.I doubt it would hurt your chances. They want to accept the most qualified people. If you have an acceptance somewhere else, accepting the waitlist offer shows them you really are interested in their school.
Also wondering this. 75/100 people accepted off waitlist seems too good to be true.Did anyone not get put on the waitlist?
This is super encouraging!According to Msar, 75/100
I was gonna say...they're making me think twice😫. Wish there was an option to say, "This school is definitely my top choice, and I will do anything to get in. I don't care if I get an A the day before classes start"Not that it will change how I respond, but does anyone know why they would ask whether we currently hold a seat at another institution for the alternate list?
Don’t think so, you have to remember that they likely just sent out 100 waitlist invitations to all interview cohorts dating back to last fall, so the 10 or so people who have posted about getting a waitlist email on SDN are just a small fraction of people who got waitlistedAlso wondering this. 75/100 people accepted off waitlist seems too good to be true.
I think a lot of it is OOS too. as an IS kinda discouraging to see past threads show little movement...Also wondering this. 75/100 people accepted off waitlist seems too good to be true.
Don’t think so, you have to remember that they likely just sent out 100 waitlist invitations to all interview cohorts dating back to last fall, so the 10 or so people who have posted about getting a waitlist email on SDN are just a small fraction of people who got waitlisted
Ofc it varies year to year so msar is not gospel by any means
Posting on behalf of a friend! (as you can tell by the username, lol).
"Do we think that the 100 waitlisted and 75 accepted is correct from MSAR? It seems like in the past, way more people have been waitlisted. Could this be an error? I would love any and all insight!"
"Do we think that the 100 waitlisted and 75 accepted is correct from MSAR? It seems like in the past, way more people have been waitlisted. Could this be an error? I would love any and all insight!"
tbh idk where they are quoting that number from. I think there are more applicants on the WL than we think and not that much movement. just my thoughts...Posting on behalf of a friend! (as you can tell by the username, lol).
"Do we think that the 100 waitlisted and 75 accepted is correct from MSAR? It seems like in the past, way more people have been waitlisted. Could this be an error? I would love any and all insight!"
given barely any reports of post-II R that MSAR number does not seem right despite underreporting that could happen on SDN
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
tbh idk where they are quoting that number from. I think there are more applicants on the WL than we think and not that much movement. just my thoughts...
FiletFrenzy
Full Member
WL invite at 12:45 pm
Pinocchio1
Full Member
Yeah this is a very weird thing to ask. It feels as if they will give priority to someone who does not hold any seats anywhere. However, this puts others at disadvantage as this school could be their number 1 choice and have a seat somewhere else but end up not getting in there at all!!...Not that it will change how I respond, but does anyone know why they would ask whether we currently hold a seat at another institution for the alternate list?
Idk how they use it but if that's the case then it is unethical IMO
It's also on the official AAMC Waitlist Procedures reportView attachment 368181This is where people are getting the number from... but yes, obviously it should be taken with a grain of salt. No clue if it's accurate
So by math ~300 people who got the hold email but no acceptance will be rejected post-ii. Seems harsh!
That’s the biggest thing for me. If that truly what happens that means those who got an AL spot should be super optimistic but a part of me feels like that’s not the case. Just hard to believe unless an adcom says that’s true.So by math ~300 people who got the hold email but no acceptance will be rejected post-ii. Seems harsh!
Literally my exact position. So many reasons to attend VCU over any other school in my list. Clear cut #1 but they don’t know lol.Yeah this is a very weird thing to ask. It feels as if they will give priority to someone who does not hold any seats anywhere. However, this puts others at disadvantage as this school could be their number 1 choice and have a seat somewhere else but end up not getting in there at all!!...
Idk how they use it but if that's the case then it is unethical IMO
Pinocchio1
Full Member
Yeah, it makes huge difference for you for sure !!! Keeping you in my prayers 🙏Literally my exact position. So many reasons to attend VCU over any other school in my list. Clear cut #1 but they don’t know lol.
chocolatefrosty1
Full Member
This goes the other way too though! People who have been accepted elsewhere might seem more attractive to VCU because VCU might think there's a chance they're getting a highly regarded candidate by accepting that person. Of course they want to protect their yield, but I'd also imagine there's an element of "we want what we (maybe) can't have" element to all this. Just my two cents, all speculation lolYeah this is a very weird thing to ask. It feels as if they will give priority to someone who does not hold any seats anywhere. However, this puts others at disadvantage as this school could be their number 1 choice and have a seat somewhere else but end up not getting in there at all!!...
Idk how they use it but if that's the case then it is unethical IMO
Here I was for the past 6 months taking it for granted I’d be on the waitlist, but now I’m super grateful for itThat’s the biggest thing for me. If that truly what happens that means those who got an AL spot should be super optimistic but a part of me feels like that’s not the case. Just hard to believe unless an adcom says that’s true.
Pinocchio1
Full Member
I agree with you on that too. Either way it sounds unethical!!!This goes the other way too though! People who have been accepted elsewhere might seem more attractive to VCU because VCU might think there's a chance they're getting a highly regarded candidate by accepting that person. Of course they want to protect their yield, but I'd also imagine there's an element of "we want what we (maybe) can't have" element to all this. Just my two cents, all speculation lol
+ 1 OOS WL, interviewed in early Feb!
ask01
Full Member
but I do wonder if that means no letter of interests/intent?I also emailed them today to see if I could send updates since I was waitlisted, they said no updates are allowed
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
buzzbuzzbee07
Full Member
OOS WL email today — interviewed alllll the way back in October!
Jimmy McGill
Full Member
The more I think about it that 75/100 number has to be wrong. It must be more like 75-100 get off out of around 200+. There's no way that VCU would have 100 people waiting and even risk coming close to having their class fall short. What if one year they needed to pull 150 people off? then they're just screwed? Tl;dr I'm not getting my hopes up 😀
VCU’s Match List: Class of 2023 Match List VCU School of Medicine
+1 IS Waitlist email today!
Current Applicants VCU School of Medicine but this page says that they do accept updates from waitlisted students. I wonder which it is.I also emailed them today to see if I could send updates since I was waitlisted, they said no updates are allowed.
VCU’s Match List: Class of 2023 Match List VCU School of Medicine
Impressive as always! Thanks for sharing
So, are we allowed to send a letter of intent if we have been waitlisted?
Curious about this too. My initial post-interview letter stated VCU was atop my list, but after being rejected from my #1, VCU is clearly my top choice. Also, now ill have friends and family that will be moving to the Richmond area, so my support system is literally 5 min away from them...So, are we allowed to send a letter of intent if we have been waitlisted?
@Talldoctor96 ?
+1 IS waitlist! Do you guys think that we could send a LOR as an update? If so, how would you go about doing that? I was thinking maybe having the letter writer email med admit directly with my AAMC ID and whatnot. Thanks!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
rideaselle
Full Member
Are there any current students who wouldn't mind answering a few questions on the curriculum and housing?
ask01
Full Member
they told me you can do updates but no additional LORs+1 IS waitlist! Do you guys think that we could send a LOR as an update? If so, how would you go about doing that? I was thinking maybe having the letter writer email med admit directly with my AAMC ID and whatnot. Thanks!
Is the waitlist active already? Or do we need to wait some time until acceptances can start to go out?
Is the waitlist active already? Or do we need to wait some time until acceptances can start to go out?
They told me it will be active come april 1
If we gave an update and we are on the waitlist would it change our ranking? I’m thinking probably not. If that’s the case what’s the point in sending a letter of intent?