2023-2024 Einstein

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chilly_md

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 Einstein Secondary Prompts (you "could" use 3000 characters for any that need explaining, but the essays everyone "should" probably use are F and G.)

**Note, many of these are only to be filled out if it applies to you or they just want basic details as opposed to essays.**

A. HISTORY

1. I have taken time off from school between high school and college.
  2. I have taken time off from school during my undergraduate years.
  3. I have taken at least a year off from school since college graduation, including this year that I am applying.
  4. I have taken and received credit for online science core courses (e.g. chemistry, biology, organic chemistry, physics and mathematics) that were taken prior to the Covid Pandemic (earlier than Spring 2020).
  5. I have applied previously to medical school.
  6. I have submitted an AMCAS application to Einstein previously.
  7. I am/was a graduate student in the Graduate Programs in the Biomedical Sciences of Albert Einstein College of Medicine.
  8. I was accepted to medical school previously but did not attend.
  9. I was previously enrolled in medical school.
  10. I can attest that I have fulfilled the Albert Einstein College of Medicine COMPETENCIES (Course Requirements | M.D. Admissions | Albert Einstein College of Medicine) for admission.
  11. I will have a Baccalaureate Degree by the time I matriculate into medical school.
  12. I am presently holding a deferral from another medical / graduate / professional school.
  13. I have received a grade of "F" during my college/graduate school years.
  14. I have received a grade of "D" during my college/graduate school years.

B. HISTORY CONTINUED

1. I have received a grade of "W" during my college/graduate school years.
  2. I have received a grade of "I" during my college/graduate school years.
  3. As an undergraduate, I transferred from one college to another.
  4. I have been the recipient of a warning notice for a non-academic issue that did NOT result in a disciplinary action.
  5. I have been subject to a disciplinary action and/or administrative action, expunged or not, while an undergraduate or graduate student.
  6. I currently have disciplinary charges pending.
  7. I have been prohibited or suspended from practicing in a professional capacity because of alleged misconduct.

*Some information about your parents status including their education and addresses*

1. If you were employed during the academic year, other than during winter and summer breaks, please write the number of hours you worked per week, and tell us what you did and why you were employed.
  2. Please provide the names of languages you speak (other than English) and indicate the fluency with which you speak them (beginner, moderate, advanced). If none, please write "NA."

C. LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION

1. Your PRIMARY RECOMMENDATION PACKET will be submitted by (select one):
  2. If you indicated, above, that you will have, "Two individual letters (up to 5 are allowed)," please provide the names, titles and institution of your letter writers; please use a separate line for each. Please note that one letter must be from your MAJOR and your second letter from a science faculty member (two science letters from two different faculty members in the same department is acceptable). If this does not apply to you, please write “NA” in the box below.
  3. If you are a post-Baccalaureate student (not a master’s degree student), a letter or statement of “Good Standing” must be submitted either from your undergraduate college or university, or included in your post-bac letter. Please indicate which of the two applies to you, and the name, title, and school from which the letter has been submitted. If no letter or statement has been submitted, please indicate when such a letter or statement will be uploaded to the AMCAS Letter Writer. If this does not apply to you, please write “NA.”
  4. Did you take your last science course more than 5 years ago?
  5. If you have an Undergraduate Pre-Professional Advisory Committee at your college or university, and have chosen NOT to request a letter from that Committee, please tell us why not.

D. EINSTEIN/MONTEFIORE WORK EXPERIENCE

1. Have you worked in basic or clinical research at Einstein/Montefiore?
  2. Have you participated in an Einstein/Montefiore Pipeline (Pathway) Program during high school, college or after?
  3. Have you ever volunteered at Einstein/Montefiore in one of our clinical areas, other than research or a Pipeline Program?
  4. If you answered "yes" that you have worked with us here at Einstein/Montefiore, will a letter from an Einstein/Montefiore faculty member be included in your evaluations?

E. EINSTEIN/MONTEFIORE FAMILY MEMBER

1. Do you have a family member who is a current employee (non-faculty) of an Einstein/Montefiore affiliated hospital?
  2. Do you have a SIBLING who is currently enrolled as an Einstein medical or graduate student?
  3. Do you have a family member who is currently a Faculty member at an Einstein/Montefiore affiliated hospital?
  4. Do you have a family member who is an Einstein Alumnus (MD, MSTP or PhD degree only)? Please do not include names of relatives who have only completed residency training here.

F. UNIQUE LIFE EXPERIENCES

1. What unique life experiences, personal attributes and/or perspectives will you bring as part of the incoming class? Are there particular challenges or successes that you have encountered? If you do not wish to write anything, please write “NA.”

G. ANYTHING ELSE YOU WOULD LIKE TO SHARE WITH US?

1. Please use this space to tell us anything about yourself that you would like us to know. If you do not wish to write anything, please write “NA.”
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
For MSTP applicants, the following are additional prompts in addition to the above that you must complete:

1. In the list below and in the following question, please indicate the field(s) of your prior research experience. Check all that apply.
  2. Please describe briefly the field(s) in which you plan to pursue your future research. We are looking for the big picture, Aging, Neuroscience, Cell Biology, Immunology, etc., not the specific focus. (250c)
  3. Please list your previous scientific presentations and abstracts. List all authors, abstract titles, name of meeting, and date of meeting. List each meeting on a separate line. Please do not include the text of the abstract. (9999c)
  4. Please list publications on which you are a co-author. List each on a separate line. Include names of all authors, title, journal, year of publication, and volume and page number(s). Please do not list papers that are “in preparation.” (9999c)
  5. Please indicate which was your favorite course in college and why. (3000c)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Prewriting and am stuck: How do I answer/explain "I will have a Baccalaureate Degree by the time I matriculate into medical school"?

I graduated a year ago so yes, I have my bachelor's degree. I was just going to say "Yes" but it said answer if applicable with up to 3000 characters. Do I explain what my degree is in? Or does "yes" suffice? I know I'm overthinking this but I appreciate your response. Thanks in advance!

Reactions: 1 users
Prewriting and am stuck: How do I answer/explain "I will have a Baccalaureate Degree by the time I matriculate into medical school"?

I graduated a year ago so yes, I have my bachelor's degree. I was just going to say "Yes" but it said answer if applicable with up to 3000 characters. Do I explain what my degree is in? Or does "yes" suffice? I know I'm overthinking this but I appreciate your response. Thanks in advance!
That’s a yes/ no question!
Don’t overthink

Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone has received the secondary prompts please share!

Reactions: 1 user
So there's a ton of questions about one's history with 3000 characters available to explain each one, if needed. Not sure if it's worthwhile to put all those on here... As for the "regular" essay questions:

What unique life experiences, personal attributes and/or perspectives will you bring as part of the incoming class? Are there particular challenges or successes that you have encountered? If you do not wish to write anything, please write “NA.” (3000 characters)

Please use this space to tell us anything about yourself that you would like us to know. If you do not wish to write anything, please write “NA.” (3000 characters) @wysdoc @doc_doc_goose

Did anyone get a confirmation email after they submitted? I didn't, but I'm not sure how to check if they received everything outside of my headshot and secondary essays (LORs, MCAT, etc)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
+1 IS Received. It's a long one, so I'll take the L of copying and pasting. All of the prompts allow 3000 characters to explain, if applicable.

@chilly_md here are the prompts:

A. HISTORY​

3. I have taken at least a year off from school since college graduation, including this year that I am applying.
  4. I have taken and received credit for online science core courses (e.g. chemistry, biology, organic chemistry, physics and mathematics) that were taken prior to the Covid Pandemic (earlier than Spring 2020).
  7. I am/was a graduate student in the Graduate Programs in the Biomedical Sciences of Albert Einstein College of Medicine.
  10. I can attest that I have fulfilled the Albert Einstein College of Medicine COMPETENCIES (Course Requirements | M.D. Admissions | Albert Einstein College of Medicine) for admission.
  11. I will have a Baccalaureate Degree by the time I matriculate into medical school.
  12. I am presently holding a deferral from another medical / graduate / professional school.

B. HISTORY CONTINUED​

4. I have been the recipient of a warning notice for a non-academic issue that did NOT result in a disciplinary action.
  5. I have been subject to a disciplinary action and/or administrative action, expunged or not, while an undergraduate or graduate student.
  7. I have been prohibited or suspended from practicing in a professional capacity because of alleged misconduct.

*Some information about your parents status including their education and addresses*

1. If you were employed during the academic year, other than during winter and summer breaks, please write the number of hours you worked per week, and tell us what you did and why you were employed.
  2. Please provide the names of languages you speak (other than English) and indicate the fluency with which you speak them (beginner, moderate, advanced). If none, please write "NA."

C. LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION​

2. If you indicated, above, that you will have, "Two individual letters (up to 5 are allowed)," please provide the names, titles and institution of your letter writers; please use a separate line for each. Please note that one letter must be from your MAJOR and your second letter from a science faculty member (two science letters from two different faculty members in the same department is acceptable). If this does not apply to you, please write “NA” in the box below.
  3. If you are a post-Baccalaureate student (not a master’s degree student), a letter or statement of “Good Standing” must be submitted either from your undergraduate college or university, or included in your post-bac letter. Please indicate which of the two applies to you, and the name, title, and school from which the letter has been submitted. If no letter or statement has been submitted, please indicate when such a letter or statement will be uploaded to the AMCAS Letter Writer. If this does not apply to you, please write “NA.”
  5. If you have an Undergraduate Pre-Professional Advisory Committee at your college or university, and have chosen NOT to request a letter from that Committee, please tell us why not.

D. EINSTEIN/MONTEFIORE WORK EXPERIENCE​

2. Have you participated in an Einstein/Montefiore Pipeline (Pathway) Program during high school, college or after?
  3. Have you ever volunteered at Einstein/Montefiore in one of our clinical areas, other than research or a Pipeline Program?
  4. If you answered "yes" that you have worked with us here at Einstein/Montefiore, will a letter from an Einstein/Montefiore faculty member be included in your evaluations?

E. EINSTEIN/MONTEFIORE FAMILY MEMBER​

1. Do you have a family member who is a current employee (non-faculty) of an Einstein/Montefiore affiliated hospital?
  2. Do you have a SIBLING who is currently enrolled as an Einstein medical or graduate student?
  3. Do you have a family member who is currently a Faculty member at an Einstein/Montefiore affiliated hospital?
  4. Do you have a family member who is an Einstein Alumnus (MD, MSTP or PhD degree only)? Please do not include names of relatives who have only completed residency training here.

F. UNIQUE LIFE EXPERIENCES​

1. What unique life experiences, personal attributes and/or perspectives will you bring as part of the incoming class? Are there particular challenges or successes that you have encountered? If you do not wish to write anything, please write “NA.”

G. ANYTHING ELSE YOU WOULD LIKE TO SHARE WITH US?​

1. Please use this space to tell us anything about yourself that you would like us to know. If you do not wish to write anything, please write “NA.”

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
+1 IS Received. It's a long one, so I'll take the L of copying and pasting. All of the prompts allow 3000 characters to explain, if applicable.

@chilly_md here are the prompts:

A. HISTORY​

B. HISTORY CONTINUED​

C. LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION​

D. EINSTEIN/MONTEFIORE WORK EXPERIENCE​

E. EINSTEIN/MONTEFIORE FAMILY MEMBER​

F. UNIQUE LIFE EXPERIENCES​

G. ANYTHING ELSE YOU WOULD LIKE TO SHARE WITH US?​

respect for taking the L

• Haha
Are the last two essays truly optional? I am a ORM with a pretty normal life/application and don't want to hurt myself by trying to make myself sound more unique just to have something written down

+1 IS MSTP @chilly_md
  1. In the list below and in the following question, please indicate the field(s) of your prior research experience. Check all that apply.
  2. Please describe briefly the field(s) in which you plan to pursue your future research. We are looking for the big picture, Aging, Neuroscience, Cell Biology, Immunology, etc., not the specific focus. (250c)
  3. Please list your previous scientific presentations and abstracts. List all authors, abstract titles, name of meeting, and date of meeting. List each meeting on a separate line. Please do not include the text of the abstract. (9999c)
  4. Please list publications on which you are a co-author. List each on a separate line. Include names of all authors, title, journal, year of publication, and volume and page number(s). Please do not list papers that are “in preparation.” (9999c)
  5. Please indicate which was your favorite course in college and why. (3000c)

The rest is the same as the MD-only secondaries.

Are the last two essays truly optional? I am a ORM with a pretty normal life/application and don't want to hurt myself by trying to make myself sound more unique just to have something written down
I left the anything else one blank. I think you should try to fill the other one out. Just because you're ORM doesn't mean you don't bring interesting perspectives to the table and such.

Last edited:
+1 OOS Secondary Received.

Has anyone else had trouble finding where to upload the headshot/photo? All I could see was the main app with all the essays, etc.

+1 OOS Secondary Received.

Has anyone else had trouble finding where to upload the headshot/photo? All I could see was the main app with all the essays, etc.
there should be a section right above the main app when you log in

forgive my blindness, but I can't seem to find it either. could you post a screenshot?
Well its below now but i swear it was above it before I uploaded my pic
1689130031182.png

Did anyone get a confirmation email after they submitted? I didn't, but I'm not sure how to check if they received everything outside of my headshot and secondary essays (LORs, MCAT, etc)
I did not receive anything either

Well its below now but i swear it was above it before I uploaded my pic
So weird -- mine doesn't have that section. Thanks for taking a screenshot! Now I don't feel insane.

Is anyone having an issue where they select an option from the dropdown boxes but it doesn't fill?

Edit: only had this issue on Safari, resolved when switching to chrome. Leaving up in case this is helpful for anyone else.

Last edited:
for "If you were employed during the academic year, other than during winter and summer breaks, please write the number of hours you worked per week, and tell us what you did and why you were employed"--is it fair game to talk about non-paid employment, ie working in a research lab on a volunteer basis?

for "If you were employed during the academic year, other than during winter and summer breaks, please write the number of hours you worked per week, and tell us what you did and why you were employed"--is it fair game to talk about non-paid employment, ie working in a research lab on a volunteer basis?
What they are getting at is whether you needed to work for $$ to help pay for college

Reactions: 2 users
For anyone experiencing this issue, my app didn't have the upload activity enabled. Had to call WedAdMIT and then email admissions to get it added. But it's all good now. Hope this helps!

"I have taken at least a year off from school since college graduation, including this year that I am applying." For this question, do we answer it only if it's already been a year since graduating, or does it apply to anyone who is taking a gap year at all?

Edit: also lol, does this application not let you save in the middle of it? Do you have to submit it all at once?!

Last edited:
"I have taken at least a year off from school since college graduation, including this year that I am applying." For this question, do we answer it only if it's already been a year since graduating, or does it apply to anyone who is taking a gap year at all?

Edit: also lol, does this application not let you save in the middle of it? Do you have to submit it all at once?!
I took it to mean that you should answer it if you graduated ~May 2023 or earlier.

Also, my app seemed to autosave -- I closed out of it multiple times and all my essays and responses were still there when I returned. YMMV

Anyone else have to fill out this app like 3 times before you were able to submit?

Reactions: 2 users
I took it to mean that you should answer it if you graduated ~May 2023 or earlier.

Also, my app seemed to autosave -- I closed out of it multiple times and all my essays and responses were still there when I returned. YMMV
Mine never saved. It might depend on the browser you use, so be careful guys!

If I previously applied to medical school but not to Albert Einstein, do I still have to say yes to the I have previously applied to medical school question?

"I have taken at least a year off from school since college graduation, including this year that I am applying."

If I'm in a research-heavy master's program, can I use this question to address the work research I'm doing, as well as other volunteer activities? Was going to use this space as a "gap year" essay, but technically I'm not taking time off from school since I'm in a masters...

"I have taken at least a year off from school since college graduation, including this year that I am applying."

If I'm in a research-heavy master's program, can I use this question to address the work research I'm doing, as well as other volunteer activities? Was going to use this space as a "gap year" essay, but technically I'm not taking time off from school since I'm in a masters...
No, you are still in school pursuing a degree.

Just to clarify, for the prompts answered as "yes", do we think it would be better to go with a larger essay (using the space of 3000 characters), or just be brief?
Not sure how everyone else was going about this, thanks!

Just to clarify, for the prompts answered as "yes", do we think it would be better to go with a larger essay (using the space of 3000 characters), or just be brief?
Not sure how everyone else was going about this, thanks!
i personally am being very brief

is anyone using the "anything else" for a "why us?"
I never know whether to fill it out. Some people say to leave it blank unless you have something especially exceptional to say and others don't...

Did you guys receive a confirmation email after submitting the application? I received neither a receipt of my payment nor of my application's completion

Did you guys receive a confirmation email after submitting the application? I received neither a receipt of my payment nor of my application's completion
Yes. I got an email for my "supplemental application completion" and a separate email for "overall application complete." I think these came a day after I submitted, though

For the Post-Bac student letter of good standing prompt:

I completed my undergrad with all pre-med reqs, but I'm taking one undergrad bio class this fall as a non-degree seeking student since I'm nontrad and want more recent bio. It's not a Post-Bac program, but would this make me a "Post-Bac student" by Einstein's standards?

For the Post-Bac student letter of good standing prompt:

I completed my undergrad with all pre-med reqs, but I'm taking one undergrad bio class this fall as a non-degree seeking student since I'm nontrad and want more recent bio. It's not a Post-Bac program, but would this make me a "Post-Bac student" by Einstein's standards?
I think that question is designed for people in a formal post-bacc program. I do not think you need anything, but you can always email their admissions department, they are very helpful.

I think that question is designed for people in a formal post-bacc program. I do not think you need anything, but you can always email their admissions department, they are very helpful.
Thanks so much. I emailed them a few weeks ago but no response - I bet they're super busy right now.