2023-2024 Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MSU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Student here at MSUCOM. Can answer questions anyone might have about the school.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
IS here- have been complete silence from MSU COM completed in late July. Are they still sending out II?
I submitted my secondary late June and got an II about two weeks ago. OOS applicant. Had lost hope, but keep faith!

IS here- have been complete silence from MSU COM completed in late July. Are they still sending out II?
Lol I applied in August and didn't get a II until January. Interviewed in January and then got my A in March. So you have plenty of time. People got II's last year into February/March I'm pretty sure.

Reactions: 1 users
Lol I applied in August and didn't get a II until January. Interviewed in January and then got my A in March. So you have plenty of time. People got II's last year into February/March I'm pretty sure.

Still too early to start frantically sending letters of continued interest?

Still too early to start frantically sending letters of continued interest?
I think I did eventually send them an update letter (maybe in like December), but my update letter had substantive information (new clinical experience, publication update, some other stuff). I don't really know how much a letter of continuing "interest" without other new, substantive application additions would affect your chances, but I suppose a well written interest letter probably wouldn't hurt either. Usually people might send out those if they already have an acceptance somewhere and are trying to use it as "leverage" to get a II or an A at a place they really would prefer to go.

I think I did eventually send them an update letter (maybe in like December), but my update letter had substantive information (new clinical experience, publication update, some other stuff). I don't really know how much a letter of continuing "interest" without other new, substantive application additions would affect your chances, but I suppose a well written interest letter probably wouldn't hurt either. Usually people might send out those if they already have an acceptance somewhere and are trying to use it as "leverage" to get a II or an A at a place they really would prefer to go.

So we’re supposed to mention that we have another acceptance somewhere else in the LOI? Haven’t heard that before

Members don't see this ad :)
Do the interviewers volunteer to do them or are they requested to do so?

Do the interviewers volunteer to do them or are they requested to do so?
My interviewer was an alum who graduated several years ago, so at least in my case, I'm assuming my interviewer was a volunteer.

Were you deciding between multiple schools, if so what helped you make your decision? Which site are you at, pros/cons? Thanks :)
Not the OP but I am a current student. I was deciding between multiple schools and one of the biggest selling points to me was how many reasources MSU has. It’s incredibly easy to become involved in research, whereas at other schools I interviewed at, the students made it seem like it was doable but you had to do a lot of leg work. Our clinicals are also established with long standing partnerships in the state (one of the other schools I got in to in Missouri frequently also rotates at our base hospitals lol). We also actively expect and maintain a really supportive culture. Also, while it sounds a little conceited, when you tell people you went to Michigan State, you are instantly recognized and people know what you’re talking about. Finally, Michigan is one of the most (if not THE most) friendly states for DOs. Better chances of matching into your specialty of choice here.

I’m at the EL site. I like being able to enjoy a Big10 campus and our faculty here is great. Only con is that the class does not get as close as the students at the smaller campuses.

Reactions: 3 users
Not the OP but I am a current student. I was deciding between multiple schools and one of the biggest selling points to me was how many reasources MSU has. It’s incredibly easy to become involved in research, whereas at other schools I interviewed at, the students made it seem like it was doable but you had to do a lot of leg work. Our clinicals are also established with long standing partnerships in the state (one of the other schools I got in to in Missouri frequently also rotates at our base hospitals lol). We also actively expect and maintain a really supportive culture. Also, while it sounds a little conceited, when you tell people you went to Michigan State, you are instantly recognized and people know what you’re talking about. Finally, Michigan is one of the most (if not THE most) friendly states for DOs. Better chances of matching into your specialty of choice here.

I’m at the EL site. I like being able to enjoy a Big10 campus and our faculty here is great. Only con is that the class does not get as close as the students at the smaller campuses.
How did you feel about your interview?

Has anyone heard back from Oct IIs yet? They say they get back in 3 to 4 weeks after the interview I think

Hey! This is a late update but wanted to let the group know....I received an OOS II last week on 10/25. I was complete in Sept.

I was complete oct 4/23 and haven't heard anything :( this school is my dream :( how long after submitting the secondary did you guys received an II?

• Care
I was complete oct 4/23 and haven't heard anything :( this school is my dream :( how long after submitting the secondary did you guys received an II?
same here bestie, i was complete on 10/2/23 and nada

• Care
@StressedNon-Trad

OOS as well. Complete first week of July and didn’t receive II until October if it makes you feel any better

Yeah im from Canada, hope this doesn't hurt me too much lol i have tons of clinical experience

IS LM 71, Accepted today (11/2), Interviewed 10/2

Are IIs sent through email or phone?
email

Also, adding some more data for those waiting

Complete 9/13, II 10/12, IA 10/30. LM 67, In state, non trad, a metric butt ton of research and volunteer experience.

Complete on 07/11, II on 10/02, A today. OOS applicant w/o any ties. LM was 68.

Reactions: 1 users
Complete on 07/11, II on 10/02, A today. OOS applicant w/o any ties. LM was 68.
Hey congrats. Was there any mention of OOS scholarships? I'm interviewing with MSU next week, but the only way I'd attend is if I get an OOS scholarship. Already accepted to a couple good schools in the south where I'd prefer to stay