2023-2024 Minnesota

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You're invited to my new group 'UMN Medical School Class of 2028' on GroupMe. Click here to join: GroupMe

Accepted Students GroupMe
Is this for TC or duluth?

Members don't see this ad.

R earlier today, interviewed around 10/14; good luck everyone!

I heard nothing all day… anyone else from 10/10 not hear anything? I was told by admissions I would have heard today

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
There’s one other person from the same date that still hasn’t heard. I interviewed 10/24
I don’t know if this means that we’ll find out on the February date? They told my group we’d all find out today

For those still waiting to hear back both of the years I applied admissions were late by 2-4 weeks to give me a decision.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For those still waiting to hear back both of the years I applied admissions were late by 2-4 weeks to give me a decision.
Did you call or email them after you didn't hear back on the decision date? I'm wondering why some people hear back while others don't from the same dates.

Congrats to all those accepted! Looking at last year's thread, people who interviewed in November or the last week of October didn't hear back until February, so if you interviewed in that timeframe I wouldn't expect a decision yet.

Did you call or email them after you didn't hear back on the decision date? I'm wondering why some people hear back while others don't from the same dates.
I did and didn't hear anything helpful back. This has been an issue with UMN admissions for at least five years now.

Does anyone know how the scholarships work? Do they come in a separate email or with an acceptance email ? Or is it after you fill out FAFSA?

Does anyone know how the scholarships work? Do they come in a separate email or with an acceptance email ? Or is it after you fill out FAFSA?
They will give out scholarships/start the entire process closer to the start of the new academic cycle. I'd fill out FAFSA and get that done ASAP for submission.

Re-asking this question:

Does anyone have any idea how much campus preference plays into where you get placed (if accepted of course)? I truly would be happy with either campus, but I chose Minneapolis due to family connection. I feel I fit with Duluth very well due to my experiences and where I was born and raised, so I don't want them to see I chose Minneapolis first and assume I don't want to be there.

Re-asking this question:

Does anyone have any idea how much campus preference plays into where you get placed (if accepted of course)? I truly would be happy with either campus, but I chose Minneapolis due to family connection. I feel I fit with Duluth very well due to my experiences and where I was born and raised, so I don't want them to see I chose Minneapolis first and assume I don't want to be there.

Not sure about before interview, but after interview I think location is dependent on your interview. Iirc from the interview page, after the interview only the campus committee that you interviewed with evaluates your application. I might be remembering wrong though.

Reactions: 1 users
Not sure about before interview, but after interview I think location is dependent on your interview. Iirc from the interview page, after the interview only the campus committee that you interviewed with evaluates your application. I might be remembering wrong though.
I agree with this. TC/Duluth admissions will review your app based on the interview/rounds of app review, and then if an A is given, campus preference will be considered. I'm just trying to see if anyone who had the additional round of interviews at Duluth was also placed at the TC this year or in years past. Thank you.

Reactions: 2 users
I agree with this. TC/Duluth admissions will review your app based on the interview/rounds of app review, and then if an A is given, campus preference will be considered. I'm just trying to see if anyone who had the additional round of interviews at Duluth was also placed at the TC this year or in years past. Thank you.
im really curious about this

It seems like there was some As/scholarships that went out on December 15th last year in addition to the 9th? Was that unusual or is that expected?

OOS II, complete late August. Confused but delighted

Reactions: 3 users
I did some calculations based on last year's data and some assumptions. I found that the IS post-interview acceptance rate for the Twin Cities campus is 49.8 - 53.7% and OOS is 15.2 - 16.4%.

• Wow
I did some calculations based on last year's data and some assumptions. I found that the IS post-interview acceptance rate for the Twin Cities campus is 49.8 - 53.7% and OOS is 15.2 - 16.4%.
As an OOS who loves Minnesota this makes me worried lol

Reactions: 1 users
As an OOS who loves Minnesota this makes me worried lol
I don't know their definition of IS and OOS. This is just from the MSAR report. I am not sure how they view OOS with strong ties. Also, statistics do not describe individuals so not everyone has the same probabilities depending on stats, experiences, interview grades ...

Haven't heard a peep from the U since I submitted my secondary in August...do I hold out hope? I've been dreaming of going to the U for years, and this isn't my first application cycle. Luckily, I do have an acceptance elsewhere, but I'd love to stay in MN.

Haven't heard a peep from the U since I submitted my secondary in August...do I hold out hope? I've been dreaming of going to the U for years, and this isn't my first application cycle. Luckily, I do have an acceptance elsewhere, but I'd love to stay in MN.
Your chances aren't great. If this year is like previous years they will probably offer the whole class by end of Jan early Feb. That being said, I got an A after interviewing in Feb so all hope is not lost.

OOS II (TC campus)! complete 8/14, stats in signature, earliest interview dates available end of January

OOS Pre II R today. Good luck to everyone still in the running!

For accepted students - was there anything else we had to do for right now besides enter our SSN and our residency for tuition purposes form?

For accepted students - was there anything else we had to do for right now besides enter our SSN and our residency for tuition purposes form?

There’s a checklist for accepted students. Ask your accepted students group, should be able to get a better answer there.

Here is the website that has all the next steps for TC at least. The tabs up top let you see the tasks in each specific domain. It's very helpful and organized! Not much seems to be urgent though, although I'm starting to gather financial forms so I can apply for financial aid and recently did the background check.
Did you get the background check notification in your email or did you just start it yourself? I thought we would get an email to start the background check?

Did you get the background check notification in your email or did you just start it yourself? I thought we would get an email to start the background check?

I think the AAMC sends the background check. It’s through certiphi. I initially thought it was a phishing thing, so maybe check your spam.

I just wanted to say happy new year to all of us applying. For those who have already been admitted congratulations, to those who were rejected know that you are worthy and still cut out to be a Doctor, and to those who are like me and patiently waiting to hear back in Feburary, keep your spirits high. 😊

• Care