2023-2024 Minnesota

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm an accepted TC student and just got an email about financial aid. Is this the first email they've sent accepted students about financial aid this year?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an email to do the background check on 1/2, but it could have been triggered by another school that I'm holding an acceptance at. The subject of the email was "Background Check Consent Request."
Thanks for the info! still waiting on my end

For those accepted, do you know when we'll hear more about the Admitted Students Day event?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any current medical students at TC able to talk about the community clinics that med students can get involved with?

Reactions: 1 user
Ik MSAR says lectures r mandatory, but is that accurate/up to date? Are all lectures mandatory?

Does anyone know if they except updates?

Sounds like they are going pretty much in order, moving through August RN. If that’s the case, my R is coming soon (8/17 completion).

OOS II about a week ago, complete mid aug.

+1 OOS II just now! Complete late July. I'm a midwesterner but I have no ties to the state

Ik MSAR says lectures r mandatory, but is that accurate/up to date? Are all lectures mandatory?
Hi all! Feel free to shoot me any questions once again. I am happy to answer any and all! Some questions above this one were on Admitted students day/ background checks/ tours. For admitted students day, you will likely hear once feb rolls around and the second wave of students are admitted, so stay tuned. Background checks will be sent out by schools you have an A at so if you were already accepted by another school prior to your UMN Acceptance, you will get it earlier than those with just a December UMN acceptance. From my understanding you only need to do one background check which will be sent to all schools you have an A at (dont hold me to this, i think this is correct but not totally sure). Check your spam often just in case it is sent there. For tours, i believe there is a virtual tour online somewhere of the med school but if not, you will get one prior to starting school and on admitted students day. If you are in the TC area I would also be happy to walk you around campus earlier if you would like! Lectures are "mandatory" which means showing up is beneficial to your learning since they will sometimes hint at material that is more high yield for exams but they dont take attendance or anything.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey!
Does anyone know, including M1-M4s here, what's happening with Fairview Hospital contract? I know losing the hospital may impact our clinical rotations at a top tier hospital.

• Wow
Hey!
Does anyone know, including M1-M4s here, what's happening with Fairview Hospital contract? I know losing the hospital may impact our clinical rotations at a top tier hospital.
I don't think Fairview really knows whats happening with the Fairview contract. A lot will happen between now and Dec 2026 when the current contract ends, and it sounds like both parties are open to renegotiate. Regardless, rotations didn't change that much with the advent of M Health Fairview in 2019, and I don't think they would change that much if the partnership ended. We rotate at basically all of the hospitals in the Twin Cities, whether there is an institutional business partnership or not.

I don't think Fairview really knows whats happening with the Fairview contract. A lot will happen between now and Dec 2026 when the current contract ends, and it sounds like both parties are open to renegotiate. Regardless, rotations didn't change that much with the advent of M Health Fairview in 2019, and I don't think they would change that much if the partnership ended. We rotate at basically all of the hospitals in the Twin Cities, whether there is an institutional business partnership or not.

Is this true for Duluth students too as everyone is together for 3rd and 4th year?

Interesting. Would the end of the contract affect the "University"/Academic Hospital status? Basically, per my understanding there's a difference between rotating at a community vs. academic hospital.

Interesting. Would the end of the contract affect the "University"/Academic Hospital status? Basically, per my understanding there's a difference between rotating at a community vs. academic hospital.
After looking into this, I wouldn’t be too worried. Sounds like both sides are amenable to negotiating a new contract before 2026. UMN even has the option to outright buy the hospital from Fairview.

In regard to academic vs. community, it seems like they would become a community hospital if the partnership with UMN ends (someone can correct me if I’m wrong). Maybe it would still be considered a pseudo-academic med center because they were affiliated with UMN for so long? Honestly not sure how this would affect LOR “prestige” for residency apps.

In short, I wouldn’t be too concerned as of rn

After looking into this, I wouldn’t be too worried. Sounds like both sides are amenable to negotiating a new contract before 2026. UMN even has the option to outright buy the hospital from Fairview.

In regard to academic vs. community, it seems like they would become a community hospital if the partnership with UMN ends (someone can correct me if I’m wrong). Maybe it would still be considered a pseudo-academic med center because they were affiliated with UMN for so long? Honestly not sure how this would affect LOR “prestige” for residency apps.

In short, I wouldn’t be too concerned as of rn
I see. You are probably right regarding the contract and the U buying it out.

Exactly, especially for competitive programs (derm, plastics, surg, ent). If anyone has information regarding the LOR "prestige" it would be intriguing to know.

I'm not super concerned, but I'm thinking of my "pros" and "cons" list for each school.

Hi everyone! I have an interview with the University of MN medical school this week! I was wondering if any of y’all have any general comments about what the interview was like or if you guys thought if the MMI questions were hard??

I’m pretty nervous admittedly, so any explanation would be greatly appreciated!

Hi everyone! I have an interview with the University of MN medical school this week! I was wondering if any of y’all have any general comments about what the interview was like or if you guys thought if the MMI questions were hard??

One of my favorite interviews! Everyone is very welcoming and I thought the questions were fair. Just be yourself and I am sure you will do great!

I had my interview last December, something I wished I had known before is that there is a timer on the top right corner. So in an MMI station, you will know how much time you have left. I realized that at my last station which would've been very helpful. good luck on your interview

Reactions: 2 users
I see. You are probably right regarding the contract and the U buying it out.

Exactly, especially for competitive programs (derm, plastics, surg, ent). If anyone has information regarding the LOR "prestige" it would be intriguing to know.

I'm not super concerned, but I'm thinking of my "pros" and "cons" list for each school.

I would not bank on the U buying out any hospital. The financial situation of UMN’s hospital and clinic system has been shaky (at best) for years. Sanford has made multiple bids and Fairview seemed to desire the MHealth-Fairview partnership to be a bridge for a larger acquirer (Sanford or some sort of private equity). UMN obviously does not want Sanford as they have stated publicly, and Fairview has recently elected to not renew their contract. I won’t speculate on how much those two events are connected.

I do not know about the prestige component, and I have no idea how much rotations will be affected in the future (if at all). All I know is that MHealth is absolutely not a financial rock.

hey y'all, just want to give an fyi to folks with upcoming interviews (bc i wish i knew!), i interviewed recently and they said we'd hear back after April :uhno:

wishing everyone all the luck with the end of the cycle! 🧡

Is this true for Duluth students too as everyone is together for 3rd and 4th year?
I believe ~10 students stay in Duluth full time for 3rd year, but yes everyone else rotates together 3rd and 4th year.

I’m not sure exactly what would change between a community vs. academic hospital. I’ve rotated at the University of Minnesota Medical Center, Regions, the VA, and Children’s Minnesota, and there’s been little to no difference between my rotation experiences (aside from which service I’m on). We work with faculty and residents at all sites. Residents rotate through the same sites that we do. You might get more “big name” faculty at the University hospital, but I imagine those folks will still be around.

For those who have interviewed, I remember admissions mentioned interviewing around 900 applicants and mentioned how many acceptances they typically offer. Does anybody remember the number of offers admissions said they typically give out?

For those who have interviewed, I remember admissions mentioned interviewing around 900 applicants and mentioned how many acceptances they typically offer. Does anybody remember the number of offers admissions said they typically give out?
they had said they interview 650-700 and give out ~250 acceptances

Does anyone know if classes are mandatory? I know that the prior curriculum allowed for students to have more flexibility, is it similar than before?

Anyone know what dates will hear back in Feb??