2023-2024 SUNY Downstate (Brooklyn)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone consider reaching out to student interviewer to see if they have any insight? Or is that a bad look
Hey - I do student interviews here. I wouldn't reach out, we have no idea.

Members don't see this ad.

Received MPH email from medadmissions telling me to check the portal for the decision from the School of Public Health at 1:02 PM.

Still haven't heard from the College of Medicine though since the two aren't in synch and decisions aren't coordinated between the different programs.

If I applied for the MPH/MD concurrent degree and end up getting accepted for the MPH but not the MD, can I still do the MPH there? Or will the School of Public Health rescind the MPH offer if I end up being rejected from the College of Medicine?

Members don't see this ad :)
Got an email from medadmissions telling me Downstate is still a great place to come even if the hospital closes down... but still no admissions decision :wacky: I interviewed in November

• Haha
Reactions: 17 users
Got an email from medadmissions telling me Downstate is still a great place to come even if the hospital closes down... but still no admissions decision :wacky: I interviewed in November
Damn I didn’t get this email :( I also interviewed in November

Reactions: 2 users
I just got that one after being rejected in February 🤡

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 12 users
I just got that one after being rejected in February 🤡
They are scrambling to protect their reputation, but in reality, you'd be surprised; maybe not at the school.... but the resources and money allocated to the hospital that closed down are underwhelming, and it reflects in the patient care, especially towards black men and women.

Reactions: 1 users
I got the email and don't have a rejection or II yet lmao

Lol I was one of their first few interviews in August and I still have not heard anything since then no hospital email either.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Same didn’t get it and interviewed in December. What does this mean
Yup same here, had an early-December interview but didn't get any email about the hospital... Can someone send?

Edit: Received email at 2:05, I guess there was just a couple minutes delay.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yup same here, had an early-December interview but didn't get any email about the hospital...

Edit: Received email at 2:05, I guess there was just a couple minutes delay.
Dear Applicant,
Thank you for your application to the College of Medicine at SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University. You may have heard the news that The State University of New York is working with Downstate on a proposal to transform Downstate’s University Hospital to place greater emphasis on outpatient care. While the specifics of any future plan are still being developed, we are writing to you to be completely transparent about this ongoing process so you can make an informed choice about your future educational goals.

Even with any potential transformation to Downstate’s University Hospital, our clinical training facilities already include strong partnerships with affiliated hospitals & facilities in Brooklyn and the New York City metropolitan area through which we plan to continue to build and expand our clinical services to provide even better care to our community and a robust educational and training program for our clinical programs.

As an institution, Downstate remains committed to providing vital care to our community and offering you an outstanding medical education. Downstate medical school graduates consistently perform above national averages on licensure and exam scores, and our graduates successfully match in residencies at or above the national average each year.

Collectively, our five colleges and schools offer high-powered programs focused on health education, with degrees ranging from bachelor’s to the doctorate level. We attract students who are passionate about the health professions, medicine and science, who want to pursue research
and experience hands-on community involvement – in Brooklyn, one of the most diverse communities in the nation. Our students learn in a friendly environment with facilities that include a modern high-tech anatomy lab and an “Information Commons” digital library, and a new academic building that provides classrooms to support 21st-century medical curriculum and innovative research endeavors.

We are dedicated to educating the next generation of health professionals and scientists, and our reputation for clinical training is second to none. We are proud of our diversity, emphasis on urban and immigrant health, and camaraderie among students and faculty. If you have any further questions regarding Downstate, we would be very happy to answer them.

We greatly appreciate your interest in applying to Downstate’s College of Medicine.

My situation: no interview hold or II, OOS applicant complete late July

Dear Applicant,
Thank you for your application to the College of Medicine at SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University. You may have heard the news that The State University of New York is working with Downstate on a proposal to transform Downstate’s University Hospital to place greater emphasis on outpatient care. While the specifics of any future plan are still being developed, we are writing to you to be completely transparent about this ongoing process so you can make an informed choice about your future educational goals.

Even with any potential transformation to Downstate’s University Hospital, our clinical training facilities already include strong partnerships with affiliated hospitals & facilities in Brooklyn and the New York City metropolitan area through which we plan to continue to build and expand our clinical services to provide even better care to our community and a robust educational and training program for our clinical programs.

As an institution, Downstate remains committed to providing vital care to our community and offering you an outstanding medical education. Downstate medical school graduates consistently perform above national averages on licensure and exam scores, and our graduates successfully match in residencies at or above the national average each year.

Collectively, our five colleges and schools offer high-powered programs focused on health education, with degrees ranging from bachelor’s to the doctorate level. We attract students who are passionate about the health professions, medicine and science, who want to pursue research
and experience hands-on community involvement – in Brooklyn, one of the most diverse communities in the nation. Our students learn in a friendly environment with facilities that include a modern high-tech anatomy lab and an “Information Commons” digital library, and a new academic building that provides classrooms to support 21st-century medical curriculum and innovative research endeavors.

We are dedicated to educating the next generation of health professionals and scientists, and our reputation for clinical training is second to none. We are proud of our diversity, emphasis on urban and immigrant health, and camaraderie among students and faculty. If you have any further questions regarding Downstate, we would be very happy to answer them.

We greatly appreciate your interest in applying to Downstate’s College of Medicine.

My situation: no interview hold or II, OOS applicant complete late July
Downstate's email in summary:
This is fine.jpeg

[Image: 'This is fine' dog-in-burning-room meme.]

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Email received. Downstate pls just send me an II I beg

still have not received this email 😍😍😍 mid december interview

edit got it at 2:23pm est. that being said maybe all the talk about the hospital closure is delaying decisions even more

ngl I spent about 3 minutes re-reading the email thinking it was a rejection since I haven't gotten an II

• Haha
Does anyone know what the email actually means or why they even said this lollll

Lol I was one of their first few interviews in August and I still have not heard anything since then no hospital email either.
I got the hospital email and I interviews at the end of August. I haven't heard back about my decision.

Does anyone know what the email actually means or why they even said this lollll
Probably just to increase retention and clear their name since theres a lot of negative PR about downstates hospital closing rn. they prolly had to make a statement to try to prevent current applicants from withdrawing lmaooo. guessing they sent this to all applicants

i got the email and i was like "oh great my decision is here!!"
oh well the wait continues...

• Haha
Spoke to someone in the office today they said likely no decisions until after April 15 because that's when there's a lot of movement and spots open.

Spoke to someone in the office today they said likely no decisions until after April 15 because that's when there's a lot of movement and spots open.
Does this mean they've already accepted enough to fill the class? Why interview people if you don't have spots to offer lol

I have no idea but from what I've heard there's a lot of late movement at Downstate. They probably give high stat early applicant students slots and these students get accepted to better programs and take the other offers eventually opening up more spots. Just me speculating

Does this mean they've already accepted enough to fill the class? Why interview people if you don't have spots to offer lol
Def seems like they filled or mostly filled the class and the rest will be WL by april 15 (hopeful movement in late april + may) see yall then LOL

During last Fridays they said that 150 seats are filled as of then. So wasn’t full then.

Reactions: 8 users
by seats filled, that means they’ve issued 150 acceptances correct? Not that 150 ppl are definitely committed to attending downstate?
Accepted applicants do not have the option to select “Commit to Enroll” using the AAMC’s Choose Your Medical School (CYMS) tool until April 30th.

That means that right now, Downstate can only see what proportion have withdrawn their acceptance, what proportion have selected the non-binding ‘Plan to Enroll,” and what proportion have not done either.

So they won’t know how many accepted students are fully committed until they see how many people have selected ‘Commit to Enroll’.

And of course not everyone will immediately select ‘Commit to Enroll’ as soon as it becomes an option— some people may choose to stay with the “Plan to Enroll’ option while they wait to see if they get off the waitlist somewhere else, for example.

Just got a pre-II rejection from SUNY Upstate… misread it and almost got a heart attack lol

Just got a pre-II rejection from SUNY Upstate… misread it and almost got a heart attack lol
Same. I was checking my emails in the toilet when this happened. Didnt even need force cuz of the jumpscare the email gave me haha

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Has anyone or does anyone know anyone who interviewed and received a rejection from this school?

some people dress "up" most dress business casual.
Yup. I wore a polo shirt with a nice sweater like I’d wear to work, not a button-up with a tie like I’d wear to an interview.

There’s no interaction with admissions so I wanted to look decent but I didn’t feel the need to pull out a suit jacket.

what’s the attire like for in person tours?
As one of the students who gives the tours, I would say that you can show up fully casual, sweatpants and a hoodie, if you wanted to. Admissions committee is not involved in the tours, noone knows your name or who you are aside from when you sign in on a sheet of paper in front of a secretary, and the med students giving the tours could not possibly care less about what you wear. Dress up if you want to, but the tour really is just for you to see the school and learn more about it. Absolutely noone will be reporting back to admissions on how tour attendees dress lol

Is it common for people to bring their partner on the tour? I’m coming from out of state so wondering if they can join me since they’ll be traveling with me. If so, should I reach out to someone to ask first?

Is it common for people to bring their partner on the tour? I’m coming from out of state so wondering if they can join me since they’ll be traveling with me. If so, should I reach out to someone to ask first?
I brought my partner and nobody said anything about it, but they were the only non-applicant in our tour group that day (there were 3 tour groups and I’m not sure whether the other 2 groups had any non-applicants).

My partner isn’t interested in medicine and is very squeamish so they didn’t enter the anatomy lab and stayed in the hall for that part of the tour.

I’ve heard that it’s pretty common for at least 1 person per tour day to bring a partner or family member, etc. but since they were the only one in our group they were the odd one out, but I don’t think it was a big deal and it was helpful for me to have a second set of eyes and to get their opinion.