Case Western vs USC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DrDoVerryLittle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been very lucky to be able to choose between to fantastic schools, USC and Case Western. I understand that there are many other factors to consider when comparing these schools, but these are a few that I felt that I needed outside advice on.

Student Body and Location. I want to find a school that is a good “fit” for me both in terms of its student body and its city. Some background: I am originally from the North Bay (California). It is definitely Californian, but a toned down, suburban environment. Currently, I am at UCLA (Los Angeles). Although Los Angeles has many benefits, it is too intense for me and I prefer the environment and culture of Northern California. So my question is if I go to school in Cleveland, is the environment similar to the suburbs of San Francisco or is going to feel dramatically different making the differences between Northern and Southern California appear bleak in comparison? Also, regarding the student body. I would like a very tightknit, down to earth student body. USC has a lot of school spirit, but it is somewhat of a commuter school and the students are very outgoing in their personal life which may make student life on campus less active. Moreover, I know Case Western has a lot of PBL and student involvement which may increase the togetherness. If I am less into Southern Californian culture (i.e. music festivals, beach, bars, etc.) than most Southern Californians, will Case Western be a better fit or is my unfamiliarity with people outside of California going to be an issue. At the end of the day, I still come off as very extroverted, forthright and even crude that may not be as well accepted outside of California.

Medical Residency in California. I am very open to living in Cleveland for 4 years to get a change of pace. However, I absolutely plan to return to California (except for Los Angeles) for residency. I am interested in an internal medicine subspecialty or surgery. Therefore, I would like to be a competitive candidate. Will I be at a greater advantage applying to California residencies if I go to USC than if I go to Case Western?

Thank you to everyone for helping me make this tough decision.

Members don't see this ad.

I have been very lucky to be able to choose between to fantastic schools, USC and Case Western. I understand that there are many other factors to consider when comparing these schools, but these are a few that I felt that I needed outside advice on.

Student Body and Location. I want to find a school that is a good “fit” for me both in terms of its student body and its city. Some background: I am originally from the North Bay (California). It is definitely Californian, but a toned down, suburban environment. Currently, I am at UCLA (Los Angeles). Although Los Angeles has many benefits, it is too intense for me and I prefer the environment and culture of Northern California. So my question is if I go to school in Cleveland, is the environment similar to the suburbs of San Francisco or is going to feel dramatically different making the differences between Northern and Southern California appear bleak in comparison? Also, regarding the student body. I would like a very tightknit, down to earth student body. USC has a lot of school spirit, but it is somewhat of a commuter school and the students are very outgoing in their personal life which may make student life on campus less active. Moreover, I know Case Western has a lot of PBL and student involvement which may increase the togetherness. If I am less into Southern Californian culture (i.e. music festivals, beach, bars, etc.) than most Southern Californians, will Case Western be a better fit or is my unfamiliarity with people outside of California going to be an issue. At the end of the day, I still come off as very extroverted, forthright and even crude that may not be as well accepted outside of California.

Medical Residency in California. I am very open to living in Cleveland for 4 years to get a change of pace. However, I absolutely plan to return to California (except for Los Angeles) for residency. I am interested in an internal medicine subspecialty or surgery. Therefore, I would like to be a competitive candidate. Will I be at a greater advantage applying to California residencies if I go to USC than if I go to Case Western?

Thank you to everyone for helping me make this tough decision.

You should go where you'll be happiest. Can you see yourself living in Cleveland because you like Cleveland, or are you attracted to it because it's not LA? There is an important difference.

I don't think going to Case would preclude you from matching back home to California, especially because you would want to match in Northern California, not LA.

I am also from the Bay Area and got into both of thise schools (I will be attending another school though because of financial aid reasons). I totally get what you mean about SoCal - the culture is quite different from that of the bay. It seems like you liked Case better for all reasons except that it is not in CA. i personally felt more at home when I visited Case/Cleveland than LA. There are lots of Case students who are from CA. Also, I think I recall someone at Case saying that you should have "no problem" getting a residency in CA if you are from there. I think like 80% of Case students get their first choice residency. Good luck in your decision - go with your gut! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.