FAU vs. FIU vs. Tulane

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FAU vs. FIU vs. Tulane

• Total voters

longtimelurker2015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As of this writing, these are my options for med school. Waiting to hear post-interview from other places too, but I like to deal with what's in front of me, and these are it for the moment.

Thoughts?

I'm interested in a vote, but also specifically in people's thoughts.

As of now I'm completely on the fence and can't tell which is the best for me, or where I would be the happiest or have the best environment for success and which School would open the most doors for residency.

Thanks y'all!

Members don't see this ad.

Tulane is one of my dream schools, but I am guessing you are a Florida resident so the other options will be much cheaper, correct?

I interviewed at Tulane and FIU. Tulane would offer more opportunities to network/research and probably make it easier to match a competitive specialty and has cheaper COL. Butttttt, if I were in-state for FIU and was not rich, I would choose FIU hands-down.

$40K tuition vs $60K is not even a question, imo. Current projections if you are paying full price for Tulane is over $340K

Members don't see this ad :)
Long story short, I would not be a resident in Florida the first year, but a resident thereafter (have Florida ties dating back to High School, and family lives there, etc.). So I would pay OOS tuition the first year, then IS tuition every year thereafter.

Long story short, I would not be a resident in Florida the first year, but a resident thereafter (have Florida ties dating back to High School, and family lives there, etc.). So I would pay OOS tuition the first year, then IS tuition every year thereafter.

I don't think that's how it works. You're either in-state when you start and are charged appropriately, or you're out of state for the duration. Otherwise, every OOS applicant would receive a fat discount after first year -- they don't.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think that's how it works. You're either in-state when you start and are charged appropriately, or you're out of state for the duration. Otherwise, every OOS applicant would receive a fat discount after first year -- they don't.

It depends on your individual situation. But yeah in my case that's definitely how it is, I checked with both schools. I've been living/working out of state for a few years, so I'm no longer a Florida resident, but once I move back to Florida, I will be living near home, get my Florida driver's license back, voter registration, etc. As long as you fit the legal requirements of being an resident of the state, you qualify for in-state tuition after you have fulfilled those requirements for at least 12 months.

Na. Several schools do offer IS tuition after the first year.

It depends on your individual situation. But yeah in my case that's definitely how it is, I checked with both schools. I've been living/working out of state for a few years, so I'm no longer a Florida resident, but once I move back to Florida, I will be living near home, get my Florida driver's license back, voter registration, etc. As long as you fit the legal requirements of being an resident of the state, you qualify for in-state tuition after you have fulfilled those requirements for at least 12 months.
Florida doesn't allow you to get instate after a year if you are in Florida for school. If you qualify for residency because you grew up there, I would think you should qualify the first year. I assume you know better, but I would double check since that sounds weird

Reactions: 1 user
Florida doesn't allow you to get instate after a year if you are in Florida for school. If you qualify for residency because you grew up there, I would think you should qualify the first year. I assume you know better, but I would double check since that sounds weird

Basically, everyone is right about the input they are providing. Florida is tricky in terms of establishing residency for tuition purposes, but yeah, I'm good.

So for purposes of comparing schools, you can assume IS tuition for years 2-4 for the Florida schools.

Let's get this thread back on topic! Thanks y'all!

Basically, everyone is right about the input they are providing. Florida is tricky in terms of establishing residency for tuition purposes, but yeah, I'm good.

So for purposes of comparing schools, you can assume IS tuition for years 2-4 for the Florida schools.

Let's get this thread back on topic! Thanks y'all!
Okay, using that info, going to FIU or FAU will save at least $70K before interest.

I was accepted to Tulane, and as of now that is where I'll be going. I loved the school. Thought it was a perfect fit. However, if I get into a school that is more than $20K less than Tulane, I will be dropping Tulane without a second thought (unless fin aid makes up the different). Every attending I have spoken to, whether they went to ivy med schools or state schools, have said to prioritize cost over everything else (unless there is a special circumstance to consider) and that the little things we think are important now will not be important when we are trying to pay down those loans

Okay, using that info, going to FIU or FAU will save at least $70K before interest.

I was accepted to Tulane, and as of now that is where I'll be going. I loved the school. Thought it was a perfect fit. However, if I get into a school that is more than $20K less than Tulane, I will be dropping Tulane without a second thought (unless fin aid makes up the different). Every attending I have spoken to, whether they went to ivy med schools or state schools, have said to prioritize cost over everything else (unless there is a special circumstance to consider) and that the little things we think are important now will not be important when we are trying to pay down those loans

That's really helpful advice, thanks for sharing! My premedical advisor said to me: "Don't consider cost when picking a med school. Go where you'll be happy. Down the line, your student loans will be a drop in the bucket." Clearly that's not how attendings feel, and I'm glad to hear that perspective, as I will take an attending's opinion above anything else any day!

I'm interested to hear from the people who participated in the poll... Interestingly there are zero votes for FAU, though I was slightly leaning toward it, mostly because of the small class size (64 students) and individualized attention it may provide. I get the most votes for Tulane since it's more established than the two newer schools, but due to overall cost, it will probably come down to either of the Florida schools.

That's really helpful advice, thanks for sharing! My premedical advisor said to me: "Don't consider cost when picking a med school. Go where you'll be happy. Down the line, your student loans will be a drop in the bucket." Clearly that's not how attendings feel, and I'm glad to hear that perspective, as I will take an attending's opinion above anything else any day!

I'm interested to hear from the people who participated in the poll... Interestingly there are zero votes for FAU, though I was slightly leaning toward it, mostly because of the small class size (64 students) and individualized attention it may provide. I get the most votes for Tulane since it's more established than the two newer schools, but due to overall cost, it will probably come down to either of the Florida schools.
I voted for FIU just because thats the one I've actually been to and Miami, so I dont know enough to compare those two, haha.