Help me choose: U Maryland or Pitt?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which School?

• University of Maryland

Votes: 18 28.6%
  • University of Pittsburgh

Votes: 45 71.4%

• Total voters

cactus8910

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Like many others, I have to choose a med school in the next two weeks. I have it narrowed down to 2 options and would like some input.

Both UMD and Pitt have offered me scholarships, making the amount of loans I'll have to take out $5k more per year at Pitt (assuming both schools have calculated cost of living similarly). Not a huge difference, though it does add up over 4 years + interest.

Academically, I prefer Pitt, but my widowed dad and my S/O live not far from Baltimore, and I would like to stay close to them. My S/O is finishing up law school in DC next year and could live in Baltimore and commute to DC for work for my M2-M4 years. If I went to Pitt, he might be able to transfer to a firm in Pittsburgh during my M3 year at the earliest. (We've been together for 3 years and have lived together for 1, with plans to get married sometime during med school, so he is a very important factor in my decision.)

Pros for Pitt:
Pass/Fail
Plentiful research opportunities
I felt like I would fit there well
I really like the city (though I'm not super familiar with it)

Cons for Pitt:
Far from family, friends, and S/O

Pros for UMD:
Close to S/O, with potential to live together again soon
Less expensive

Cons for UMD:
Not Pass/Fail
I didn't feel I'd fit as well there
Baltimore is unsafe and a food desert

Let me know what you think! Obviously part of my decision is very personal, so I don't expect a lot of guidance in how much weight to give to that, but I'll take any input I can get!

One thing I'm not sure about is how each school with impact my career down the road. If it were Stanford vs. an unranked school, it would be pretty clear that Stanford would open more doors. Pitt is higher ranked and more of a research institution, but I don't know how much that translates to ending up at a stronger residency... Anyone have any insight here?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Given the way you presented the Pros and Cons for each, I think you know Pittsburgh is the right choice.

Hi @cactus8910 congrats on the choices!

It is so hard to weigh personal factors against what seems like the otherwise right decision. How hard would it be to be far from your dad and SO? Would you be happier in Baltimore, despite the relative weaknesses of UMD?

I just wanted to throw in some support. You'll make the right decision for you. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have friends going to medical school at Pitt and I went to undergrad at Pitt. I recommend Pitt over UofM because I know the education is solid, research is plentiful, and the hospitals are amazing. Cost of living is reasonable if you decide to live off campus. Oakland (where the campus is) is a good area close to everything you may need and you will see lots of students since it is a large college campus. I can say you will not regret going to school here unless being close to family is a priority

Congrats! Both are excellent schools. If research is more your thing and you are sure want an academic career, I'd say that Pitt is the way to go. Otherwise, I would recommend UMD. Close to your SO, cheaper, and the students I know have told me that the pre-clinical grading system isn't actually all that bad.

Also, Baltimore is actually a really awesome, up-and-coming city. I love to share how great it is with people who don't know it as well. Here's a great photo album you should check out that was put together by a local blogger/photographer. Baltimore does have some unsafe areas, but the many good parts of the city are really good. The area around UMD is mostly fine as long as you take standard precautions at night. UMD students often live in Federal Hill, which is one of the best neighborhoods in the city and has a free shuttle that goes directly to the UMD campus. And that part of the city is most definitely not a food desert! There's a grocery store within walking distance, the Cross Street Market, and a ton of awesome bars/restaurants. Plus, you're also within walking distance of Camden Yards for Orioles baseball! If you have any questions or need any more convincing about Charm City, feel free to PM me - I'm happy to help! :)

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats! Both are excellent schools. If research is more your thing and you are sure want an academic career, I'd say that Pitt is the way to go. Otherwise, I would recommend UMD. Close to your SO, cheaper, and the students I know have told me that the pre-clinical grading system isn't actually all that bad.

Also, Baltimore is actually a really awesome, up-and-coming city. I love to share how great it is with people who don't know it as well. Here's a great photo album you should check out that was put together by a local blogger/photographer. Baltimore does have some unsafe areas, but the many good parts of the city are really good. The area around UMD is mostly fine as long as you take standard precautions at night. UMD students often live in Federal Hill, which is one of the best neighborhoods in the city and has a free shuttle that goes directly to the UMD campus. And that part of the city is most definitely not a food desert! There's a grocery store within walking distance, the Cross Street Market, and a ton of awesome bars/restaurants. Plus, you're also within walking distance of Camden Yards for Orioles baseball! If you have any questions or need any more convincing about Charm City, feel free to PM me - I'm happy to help! :)
St. L is even more violent than Baltimore, but it's wonderful inside the bubble around the undergrad and hospital/MD school area. Just don't go out exploring the city at night alone, or really even in the day with others lol

As someone who highly values seeing family on a regular basis, I don't think Pitt is unreasonably far from Baltimore or DC, even if you have to grab a bus or carpool with someone. My hometown is a similar distance away and I regularly went home during MS1 and MS2. MS3, not so much, only went home for Christmas, but that's to be expected. People are constantly going places for the weekend and offering rides.

The research thing is a bit overstated. Yes we have a required longitudinal research project but this is not limited to just lab or clinical research. People do projects in quality/patient improvement, medical education, service, etc. It's pretty flexible. You won't be limited to anything coming from Pitt, in fact it will open a ton of doors.

And the city is amazing. After growing up going to Baltimore twice a week for various activities and working in Baltimore for a summer, I'm not a fan of the city. Pittsburgh is extremely safe and I've never felt threatened in my 7 years here.

It's a difficult decision and obviously I'm biased. I understand and value the importance of family and your support system. But it sounds like that is the only thing holding you back from Pitt, and IMO it's pretty easy to overcome that with good planning and time management.

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks for the input everyone!

@breakintheroof I'm having a hard time predicting where I would be happier. School-wise, I think I'd definitely be happier at Pitt, but when I factor in the emotional support I would get being closer to my SO, I just don't know... It's something I'll be trying to figure out over the next couple of weeks, I suppose.

@JPA178 Thanks for your insight into Baltimore! I have a few friends with really awful stories about living in Baltimore (I knew someone living in this house: http://articles.baltimoresun.com/20...076_1_samurai-sword-samurai-weapon-pontolillo), so my limited impression hasn't been great. But I do get the sense things have improved somewhat over the last few years.

@Ismet thanks for your input! I'm glad to hear you were able to go home frequently the first 2 years. Did you feel like you were missing important study time or like you were less connected with your classmates because of it?

@Ismet thanks for your input! I'm glad to hear you were able to go home frequently the first 2 years. Did you feel like you were missing important study time or like you were less connected with your classmates because of it?

Nah. If there was a long weekend, a lot of people within reasonable driving distance would go home or go somewhere (Philly, NYC, DC, etc). Especially if you have an exam Friday morning and nothing mandatory on Monday, that's a 3 day weekend you can take. I would just study at home or enjoy the free post-exam weekend.

Fit is important. You sound like you'd have to convince yourself to go to UMD due to factors that aren't related to the school. Not a good idea, imho.

Pitt seems like the place you want to be, but the fiancé complicates things. And it is fiancé right? I wouldn't move to Baltimore without a ring, haha.

I wouldn't try to do 2 years long distance either. I did one year and that was hard enough--2 years apart may kill a relationship.

It sounds like you've already decided you'll be happier at Pitt.

Fit is important. You sound like you'd have to convince yourself to go to UMD due to factors that aren't related to the school. Not a good idea, imho.
They're factors that aren't related to the school but are related to my life and my future, so I need to consider them, you know?

Pitt seems like the place you want to be, but the fiancé complicates things. And it is fiancé right? I wouldn't move to Baltimore without a ring, haha.

I wouldn't try to do 2 years long distance either. I did one year and that was hard enough--2 years apart may kill a relationship.
He's not my fiance, though he's brought up the idea of getting engaged before I leave. I just feel like that would be doing it for the wrong reason. We already know we're committed, we don't need a ring to prove that. I did agree to getting engaged in a year, but then we'd be getting married within a couple years and it would just make more sense to me.
I did long distance for 8 months in a previous relationship, and it was rough. I'm definitely someone who benefits from being physically close to my partner. On the other hand, I feel a lot more stable/committed in this relationship, and there will be an end to the long distance in sight, so I think I could make it work for 2 years. But my boyfriend is someone I really don't want to lose in my life, so the idea of putting so much strain on our relationship is scary.

They're factors that aren't related to the school but are related to my life and my future, so I need to consider them, you know?

To the point where you're justifying a school where you don't feel like you fit in to make the non-school stuff fit in?

This isn't your saying saying "Oh I like both schools, but this was a little better", you're saying "Oh yeah, I didn't feel like I fit into that school but I'm hoping all the stuff outside of school might make it worth it if I go there anyway."

To the point where you're justifying a school where you don't feel like you fit in to make the non-school stuff fit in?

This isn't your saying saying "Oh I like both schools, but this was a little better", you're saying "Oh yeah, I didn't feel like I fit into that school but I'm hoping all the stuff outside of school might make it worth it if I go there anyway."
I said I didn't think I fit as well there. Not that I wouldn't fit at all. I don't know, it's a hard thing to predict. I got the scholarship for UMD way before the one for Pitt, so I had basically convinced myself that I could be happy going there. Now that the finances have evened out, it's become a much harder choice.

I said I didn't think I fit as well there. Not that I wouldn't fit at all. I don't know, it's a hard thing to predict. I got the scholarship for UMD way before the one for Pitt, so I had basically convinced myself that I could be happy going there. Now that the finances have evened out, it's become a much harder choice.

Ahh, I see. My mistake then.

There's a good chance I go to school about 30 mins away from where my parents live and in the same city where my sister's an undergrad. I'm honestly almost nervous I'll get into a better school I'm wl'ed at since it would be a very hard choice to make.

I don't envy you at this point.

Baltimore is unsafe and a food desert

Baltimore is not a food desert by any stretch. There are hundreds of incredible small restaurants from French, Brazilian, Korean, Italian (there's a whole neighborhood of italians called Little Italy, perfect place to go on a date) to BBQ and mom and pop bakeries and cafe's. A foodie would never run out of places to try here. I am an EMT in Baltimore and work all over the city, there are so many great places and not all just consolidated in the downtown inner harbor area.

Not that this information will be paramount in your decision making but I figured it's still good to know. It is definitely filled with crime so you're right about that. If you have a car you could live in the county and commute, could be as close as 20 minutes away. Catonsville, Arbutus, and Halethorpe are small little towns in the county with low crime. Catonsville is a nice little town with all the amenities and things to do that you'd need and very close to the city. And it's no more expensive than the city so that is an option.

Also if your significant other works/lives in DC you could move to Laurel, MD which is the halfway point between Baltimore and DC, half an hour away from both and it has a metro station. Good luck with your choice.

Last edited:
I personally believe Pitt is the better choice, on P/F grading, and also, I think it has a little more of the midwest charm (Pittsburghers are pretty nice, and Pittsburgh is a safe city).

Pitt may open more doors due to its name, which may be important for you down the road when it comes down to matching.

Thanks everyone for your input! I chose Pitt, with my S/O not only supporting my decision, but actually agreeing with it!

@CircadianRhythm just to clarify, I was only referring to a lack of grocery stores when I used the term "food desert" which may be an incorrect definition, but I didn't mean to imply there aren't good restaurants!

Reactions: 5 users
Thanks everyone for your input! I chose Pitt, with my S/O not only supporting my decision, but actually agreeing with it!
Sounds like you chose well! Both your school and your SO.

Reactions: 1 users

@CircadianRhythm just to clarify, I was only referring to a lack of grocery stores when I used the term "food desert" which may be an incorrect definition, but I didn't mean to imply there aren't good restaurants!
Oh gotcha. And yes by your definition you are totally right. Congrats on your choice.