-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2021-2022 Maryland
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
My interviewer called me on a Monday and said that the committee had met that day. Not sure how often though.do we know when the admissions committee meet? and how often?
CrabcakesandFootball
Full Member
For the people who are under review, when you go to application status do you just see four green checks or do you also see four green checks and a lock next to interview?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
lieseldiesel
Full Member
i have a lock next to the interview 🙂For the people who are under review, when you go to application status do you just see four green checks or do you also see four green checks and a lock next to interview?
Is this post or pre interview? and are you on hold?i have a lock next to the interview 🙂
how do you know if you are under review?For the people who are under review, when you go to application status do you just see four green checks or do you also see four green checks and a lock next to interview?
lieseldiesel
Full Member
Pre interview and I am on hold!Is this post or pre interview? and are you on hold?
Edit: sorry I got confused - not sure if hold means under review or not! But yes on hold 🙂
CrabcakesandFootball
Full Member
Some people above got an email saying they were under review. I didn't get that email I think because I was on hold.how do you know if you are under review?
CrabcakesandFootball
Full Member
Did you notice when this changed? I am also on hold and I just noticed it the other day but it could have been there for a while.Pre interview and I am on hold!
Edit: sorry I got confused - not sure if hold means under review or not! But yes on hold 🙂
I am on hold pretty sure, what does the lock mean? does anyone know I don't have the lock. Where do you find the lock?Some people above got an email saying they were under review. I didn't get that email I think because I was on hold.
CrabcakesandFootball
Full Member
If you go to your portal under application status it is below the application file complete check. There is another line that says interview a lock and then under review.I am on hold pretty sure, what does the lock mean? does anyone know I don't have the lock. Where do you find the lock?
yeah decisions historically come out on Tuesday mornings, probably every 2/3 weeksMy interviewer called me on a Monday and said that the committee had met that day. Not sure how often though.
when did you interview?post ii waitlist this morning, oh well. good luck to everyone!!!
Pre-II R after being placed on hold. Good luck everyone!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
mid december!when did you interview?
lieseldiesel
Full Member
+1. OOS, Pre-II, put on hold December, submitted 8/3. Good luck everyone!Pre-II R after being placed on hold. Good luck everyone!
+2. Same OOS, Pre-II, and put on hold in December. Was really hoping that I might have a chance but good luck to everyone else!+1. OOS, Pre-II, put on hold December, submitted 8/3. Good luck everyone!
Hello everyone! I am a student here at UMSOM and if anyone has any questions about the school, feel free to ask! To be clear, I am not part of any kind of admissions committees so I don't know answers to any of those types of questions and my opinions are not representative of the school's. That being said, I love it here and I'd love to talk about student life, Baltimore, or anything about the school! If you'd prefer to DM, that's fine too 🙂 Have a good day and good luck to everyone!
Last edited:
CrabcakesandFootball
Full Member
Whats your favorite Baltimore food group? Crab Cakes, Crap Dip, Crab soup or Old bay?Hello everyone! I am a student here at UMSOM and if anyone has any questions about the school, feel free to ask! To be clear, I am not part of any kind of admissions committees so I probably don't know answers to any of those types of questions and my opinions are not representative of the school's. That being said, I love it here and I'd love to talk about student life, Baltimore, or anything about the school! If you'd prefer to DM, that's fine too 🙂 Have a good day and good luck to everyone!
Old bay all the way!!! Favorite part about coming to Baltimore is that everyone shares the love when it comes to the best seasoning on earth 🙂 But honorable mention does go to crab dip - so goodWhats your favorite Baltimore food group? Crab Cakes, Crap Dip, Crab soup or Old bay?
Do students have the opportunity to get involved with the shock trauma center and in what capacity? Also do students need a car during the first year? thank you!!Hello everyone! I am a student here at UMSOM and if anyone has any questions about the school, feel free to ask! To be clear, I am not part of any kind of admissions committees so I probably don't know answers to any of those types of questions and my opinions are not representative of the school's. That being said, I love it here and I'd love to talk about student life, Baltimore, or anything about the school! If you'd prefer to DM, that's fine too 🙂 Have a good day and good luck to everyone!
Hello! Yes, students have lots of opportunities to get involved with shock trauma. At any point in time, you can email a doctor in shock trauma and they'd be more than happy to have you shadow them (most doctors at UMSOM are excited to have students come shadow!) one on one. There is also a trauma interest group that sets up organized shadowing for students at shock trauma throughout the semester. On rotations, students can choose a rotation in shock trauma or shock trauma surgery as well!Do students have the opportunity to get involved with the shock trauma center and in what capacity? Also do students need a car during the first year? thank you!!
Regarding the car, it definitely depends on where you live but it's very much not necessary - just a question of convenience and timing. There's lots of safe and walkable neighborhoods right around school that students choose to live in that don't require a car to get to campus (ex: Mt. Vernon, Pigtown, Ridgely's Delight, Downtown) and some neighborhoods a little farther away that are walkable or you can use the school's shuttle bus system to get to class (ex: Otterbein, Federal Hill, Locust Point). If you wanted to live further away like in East Baltimore or North Baltimore or just commute from the surrounding county, you may want a car to get to class and UMSOM offers discounted student parking rates if you choose that option!
CrabcakesandFootball
Full Member
Yes but one person who had that got a pre II rejection today so I don't think it suggests anything in the future. I will let you know if and when I hear about anything.Wait so people who are on hold pre interview, without an interview invite, have a line saying "interview" with a lock on the portal? I am on hold pre interview and don't have interview or a lock under status...
I
m on hold Pre interview and do not have a lockWait so people who are on hold pre interview, without an interview invite, have a line saying "interview" with a lock on the portal? I am on hold pre interview and don't have interview or a lock under status...
D
deleted1115486
I’m confused, it seems like the email about being under active review doesn’t seem to allude to a hold? Is that how I should be interpreting it?
MedSchoolHopeful2026
Full Member
Lol we are twins this is my narrative except I’m working in DCYeah, I believe those are two different things. I'm on hold from mid-Nov and it specifically said I was being placed on hold. Also to the earlier convo, I don't have that 5th line with the lock, but who knows lol. My GPA's not so competitive but I'm IS with close ties and work in the city, so it would be awesome if something could come of it! Good luck all.
CrabcakesandFootball
Full Member
Pre II rejection after being on hold. IS and dream school this one stings alot.
CrabcakesandFootball
Full Member
Pre II rejection after being on hold. IS and dream school this one stings alot it feels like my dream just died.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
MedSchoolHopeful2026
Full Member
When we’re you put on hold?Pre II rejection after being on hold. IS and dream school this one stings alot.
CrabcakesandFootball
Full Member
11/17When we’re you put on hold?
D
deleted1115486
I’m so sorry to hear this 🙁 when was your app complete?Pre II rejection after being on hold. IS and dream school this one stings alot.
LoveJesus!
Full Member
What were your stats? If you don't mind sharing11/17
CrabcakesandFootball
Full Member
I was complete the day after they sent out the secondary’s don’t know the exact date but earlyI’m so sorry to hear this 🙁 when was your app complete?
CrabcakesandFootball
Full Member
DmedWhat were your stats? If you don't mind sharing
gapyearlady
Full Member
Hi Guys!! I'm an accepted student and having to make some really tough decisions. Could any current students let me know their experience at UMSOM, pros and cons, as well as attendance policy, and anything else you can think of to add? It would be so helpful to hear from you guys 🙂
Hi! I'm a current student. Regarding the attendance policy for pre-clinical years, during M1 you'll have lecture everyday from 8-10 AM (optional, recordings are posted), followed by some mandatory activity from 10-12 (usually small group/CBL/TBL/patient presentations). During M2, the mandatory small group/CBL/TBL will be from 8-10 AM (also everyday), followed by the optional lectures from 10-12. You're allowed to miss a certain amount of the mandatory small groups without your grade being affected. Besides that, the only other mandatory things are service learning/community service (hours depend on where you're assigned, usually 1-2 hours per week in the afternoon, but this doesn't start until after your first class "foundations" ends). We also have mandatory "practice of medicine" sessions about twice/month for around 3 hours (basically you'll meet with preceptors to practice clinical skills). Hope this helps.Hi Guys!! I'm an accepted student and having to make some really tough decisions. Could any current students let me know their experience at UMSOM, pros and cons, as well as attendance policy, and anything else you can think of to add? It would be so helpful to hear from you guys 🙂
Is the mandatory 10-12 activity every day? :OHi! I'm a current student. Regarding the attendance policy for pre-clinical years, during M1 you'll have lecture everyday from 8-10 AM (optional, recordings are posted), followed by some mandatory activity from 10-12 (usually small group/CBL/TBL/patient presentations). During M2, the mandatory small group/CBL/TBL will be from 8-10 AM (also everyday), followed by the optional lectures from 10-12. You're allowed to miss a certain amount of the mandatory small groups without your grade being affected. Besides that, the only other mandatory things are service learning/community service (hours depend on where you're assigned, usually 1-2 hours per week in the afternoon, but this doesn't start until after your first class "foundations" ends). We also have mandatory "practice of medicine" sessions about twice/month for around 3 hours (basically you'll meet with preceptors to practice clinical skills). Hope this helps.
What typically fills the rest of the day after 12?
Hey, yes it's every day from 10-12 during MS1, and every day from 8-10 during MS2. After those sessions are over you're free for the day with the exception of days when we have mandatory preceptor sessions, or community service. So the rest of the day is filled with whatever you want (mainly studying, extracurriculars, shadowing, just hanging out, etc).Is the mandatory 10-12 activity every day? :O
What typically fills the rest of the day after 12?
coolcucumber04
Full Member
interviewed late Jan, just got WL'd. haven't had a chance to look through past threads, anyone know what the chances of getting off the WL are?
They said that decisions usually take 4-6 weeks, you already heard back??interviewed late Jan, just got WL'd. haven't had a chance to look through past threads, anyone know what the chances of getting off the WL are?
For those of you who interviewed here, how long did it take to hear back?
I interviewed last week Monday (1/31) and heard back today (2/8) about WL
Sorry to be that person, but do you mind sharing your stats?I interviewed last week Monday (1/31) and heard back today (2/8) about WL
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
PM'dSorry to be that person, but do you mind sharing your stats?
Pre-II “need more time” e-mail in November. Crickets. Should I send an update?
siloaddict
Full Member
I was under the impression that IIs end around mid Feb for this school!Anyone just recieve the "active review" email and nothing else from UMSOM? Are they done with IIs?
Dumb question, but does Maryland send Post-II R's in the same timeframe as A's and WL's? I don't see any post-II R's reported this year (obviously could just be reporting bias), but I interviewed around a month ago and was hoping that a longer wait wouldn't necessarily indicate a rejection lol