2021-2022 Maryland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you all know when Maryland will release the admissions decision for the January 10th interviews?
next week and into first week of Feb, looking at prev. years

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
do we know when the admissions committee meet? and how often?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For the people who are under review, when you go to application status do you just see four green checks or do you also see four green checks and a lock next to interview?

Some people above got an email saying they were under review. I didn't get that email I think because I was on hold.
I am on hold pretty sure, what does the lock mean? does anyone know I don't have the lock. Where do you find the lock?

I am on hold pretty sure, what does the lock mean? does anyone know I don't have the lock. Where do you find the lock?
If you go to your portal under application status it is below the application file complete check. There is another line that says interview a lock and then under review.

My interviewer called me on a Monday and said that the committee had met that day. Not sure how often though.
yeah decisions historically come out on Tuesday mornings, probably every 2/3 weeks

Members don't see this ad :)
post ii waitlist this morning, oh well. good luck to everyone!!!

• Care
Has anyone received an interview after being put on hold?

Hello everyone! I am a student here at UMSOM and if anyone has any questions about the school, feel free to ask! To be clear, I am not part of any kind of admissions committees so I don't know answers to any of those types of questions and my opinions are not representative of the school's. That being said, I love it here and I'd love to talk about student life, Baltimore, or anything about the school! If you'd prefer to DM, that's fine too :) Have a good day and good luck to everyone!

Last edited:
Hello everyone! I am a student here at UMSOM and if anyone has any questions about the school, feel free to ask! To be clear, I am not part of any kind of admissions committees so I probably don't know answers to any of those types of questions and my opinions are not representative of the school's. That being said, I love it here and I'd love to talk about student life, Baltimore, or anything about the school! If you'd prefer to DM, that's fine too :) Have a good day and good luck to everyone!
Whats your favorite Baltimore food group? Crab Cakes, Crap Dip, Crab soup or Old bay?

Whats your favorite Baltimore food group? Crab Cakes, Crap Dip, Crab soup or Old bay?
Old bay all the way!!! Favorite part about coming to Baltimore is that everyone shares the love when it comes to the best seasoning on earth :) But honorable mention does go to crab dip - so good

Hello everyone! I am a student here at UMSOM and if anyone has any questions about the school, feel free to ask! To be clear, I am not part of any kind of admissions committees so I probably don't know answers to any of those types of questions and my opinions are not representative of the school's. That being said, I love it here and I'd love to talk about student life, Baltimore, or anything about the school! If you'd prefer to DM, that's fine too :) Have a good day and good luck to everyone!
Do students have the opportunity to get involved with the shock trauma center and in what capacity? Also do students need a car during the first year? thank you!!

Do students have the opportunity to get involved with the shock trauma center and in what capacity? Also do students need a car during the first year? thank you!!
Hello! Yes, students have lots of opportunities to get involved with shock trauma. At any point in time, you can email a doctor in shock trauma and they'd be more than happy to have you shadow them (most doctors at UMSOM are excited to have students come shadow!) one on one. There is also a trauma interest group that sets up organized shadowing for students at shock trauma throughout the semester. On rotations, students can choose a rotation in shock trauma or shock trauma surgery as well!

Regarding the car, it definitely depends on where you live but it's very much not necessary - just a question of convenience and timing. There's lots of safe and walkable neighborhoods right around school that students choose to live in that don't require a car to get to campus (ex: Mt. Vernon, Pigtown, Ridgely's Delight, Downtown) and some neighborhoods a little farther away that are walkable or you can use the school's shuttle bus system to get to class (ex: Otterbein, Federal Hill, Locust Point). If you wanted to live further away like in East Baltimore or North Baltimore or just commute from the surrounding county, you may want a car to get to class and UMSOM offers discounted student parking rates if you choose that option!

Wait so people who are on hold pre interview, without an interview invite, have a line saying "interview" with a lock on the portal? I am on hold pre interview and don't have interview or a lock under status...
Yes but one person who had that got a pre II rejection today so I don't think it suggests anything in the future. I will let you know if and when I hear about anything.

I
Wait so people who are on hold pre interview, without an interview invite, have a line saying "interview" with a lock on the portal? I am on hold pre interview and don't have interview or a lock under status...
m on hold Pre interview and do not have a lock

I’m confused, it seems like the email about being under active review doesn’t seem to allude to a hold? Is that how I should be interpreting it?

Yeah, I believe those are two different things. I'm on hold from mid-Nov and it specifically said I was being placed on hold. Also to the earlier convo, I don't have that 5th line with the lock, but who knows lol. My GPA's not so competitive but I'm IS with close ties and work in the city, so it would be awesome if something could come of it! Good luck all.
Lol we are twins this is my narrative except I’m working in DC

Hi Guys!! I'm an accepted student and having to make some really tough decisions. Could any current students let me know their experience at UMSOM, pros and cons, as well as attendance policy, and anything else you can think of to add? It would be so helpful to hear from you guys :)

Hi Guys!! I'm an accepted student and having to make some really tough decisions. Could any current students let me know their experience at UMSOM, pros and cons, as well as attendance policy, and anything else you can think of to add? It would be so helpful to hear from you guys :)
Hi! I'm a current student. Regarding the attendance policy for pre-clinical years, during M1 you'll have lecture everyday from 8-10 AM (optional, recordings are posted), followed by some mandatory activity from 10-12 (usually small group/CBL/TBL/patient presentations). During M2, the mandatory small group/CBL/TBL will be from 8-10 AM (also everyday), followed by the optional lectures from 10-12. You're allowed to miss a certain amount of the mandatory small groups without your grade being affected. Besides that, the only other mandatory things are service learning/community service (hours depend on where you're assigned, usually 1-2 hours per week in the afternoon, but this doesn't start until after your first class "foundations" ends). We also have mandatory "practice of medicine" sessions about twice/month for around 3 hours (basically you'll meet with preceptors to practice clinical skills). Hope this helps.

Reactions: 5 users
Hi! I'm a current student. Regarding the attendance policy for pre-clinical years, during M1 you'll have lecture everyday from 8-10 AM (optional, recordings are posted), followed by some mandatory activity from 10-12 (usually small group/CBL/TBL/patient presentations). During M2, the mandatory small group/CBL/TBL will be from 8-10 AM (also everyday), followed by the optional lectures from 10-12. You're allowed to miss a certain amount of the mandatory small groups without your grade being affected. Besides that, the only other mandatory things are service learning/community service (hours depend on where you're assigned, usually 1-2 hours per week in the afternoon, but this doesn't start until after your first class "foundations" ends). We also have mandatory "practice of medicine" sessions about twice/month for around 3 hours (basically you'll meet with preceptors to practice clinical skills). Hope this helps.
Is the mandatory 10-12 activity every day? :O

What typically fills the rest of the day after 12?

For those of you who interviewed here, how long did it take to hear back?

Is the mandatory 10-12 activity every day? :O

What typically fills the rest of the day after 12?
Hey, yes it's every day from 10-12 during MS1, and every day from 8-10 during MS2. After those sessions are over you're free for the day with the exception of days when we have mandatory preceptor sessions, or community service. So the rest of the day is filled with whatever you want (mainly studying, extracurriculars, shadowing, just hanging out, etc).

interviewed late Jan, just got WL'd. haven't had a chance to look through past threads, anyone know what the chances of getting off the WL are?

• Care
I interviewed last week Monday (1/31) and heard back today (2/8) about WL

• Care
Pre-II “need more time” e-mail in November. Crickets. Should I send an update?

Anyone just recieve the "active review" email and nothing else from UMSOM? Are they done with IIs?