You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2020-2021 Maryland
Started by TheDataKing
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
premed159753
New Member
Did you submit FAFSA/financial aid? My guess is that the UMID email might be for those that already did since the email reads that the system is used for financial aid, etc.I interviewed 3 weeks ago and did not receive the UMID email.
D
deleted1079705
I didn't submit fafsa for Maryland. That makes sense if so
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
synergetics2020
Full Member
Oh damn I never added Maryland to my FAFSA, lol. Just added it. Didn't realize we were supposed to add the school before we are accepted but that makes sense..... Are we supposed to add all the schools we applied to to our FAFSA?Did you submit FAFSA/financial aid? My guess is that the UMID email might be for those that already did since the email reads that the system is used for financial aid, etc.
bodynotfondofcoffee
Full Member
WL, interviewed 2/10 :/
feelsbadman... maryland was my top choice in regards to where i interviewed at AHHHHHHHHHH
feelsbadman... maryland was my top choice in regards to where i interviewed at AHHHHHHHHHH
Sorry to hear this 🙁 best of luckWL, interviewed 2/10 :/
feelsbadman... maryland was my top choice in regards to where i interviewed at AHHHHHHHHHH
synergetics2020
Full Member
Any 2/17 interviewers hear back today?
TheCrispyTomato
New Member
Shallom fellow interviewees, I was waitlisted! II was 2/10. Dunno what to do now, just grovel I guess
You should add all schools where you've been offered an interview 🙂Oh damn I never added Maryland to my FAFSA, lol. Just added it. Didn't realize we were supposed to add the school before we are accepted but that makes sense..... Are we supposed to add all the schools we applied to to our FAFSA?
Has any one gotten off the waitlist yet?
Waitlisted last month. Does Maryland accept LOIs?
Someone mentioned a few pages back that they called admissions and was told they were done interviewing.Is this school still interviewing?
synergetics2020
Full Member
Did any interviews take place after 2/17?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I believe there were 2/24 interviews
PoorProspects
Full Member
WL after 2/8 interview. Good luck to everyone else!
synergetics2020
Full Member
WL, interviewed 2/17
Whoa. When did they send it out?
pre-II R after being put on hold in November. July complete LM 79 IS. Best of luck to all those still waiting!
+1 Waitlist, interviewed 2/24, OOS.
Does this school put everyone on a post-II WL if they didn't get accepted?
Does this school put everyone on a post-II WL if they didn't get accepted?
WL, 2/24 OOS
Just noticed I finally have the lock/under review on the portal. Fully not optimistic since people have posted multiple times that the interviews are done, but it's definitely new within the past ~week sooo idk
D
deleted936329
Same, good luck to those waiting!pre-II R after being put on hold in November. July complete LM 79 IS. Best of luck to all those still waiting!
wegotthis20201234
Full Member
same, just noticed it tooJust noticed I finally have the lock/under review on the portal. Fully not optimistic since people have posted multiple times that the interviews are done, but it's definitely new within the past ~week sooo idk
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
+1, been on hold since NovemberJust noticed I finally have the lock/under review on the portal. Fully not optimistic since people have posted multiple times that the interviews are done, but it's definitely new within the past ~week sooo idk
wegotthis20201234
Full Member
im confused as to why they're reviewing us if there are no more interview invites being sent?+1, been on hold since November
Quarantini
Full Member
On the 17th I got one... right after I did a FAFSA application on which I included UMD since I'm on the WL.Did anyone else on the WL get an email about UMID account today?
SVTuntilMD
New Member
Me too! Does everyone get this at some point even if it's just before the pre-II R or does this mean there is still a glimmer, albeit a faint one, of hope that they haven't closed the cycle?Just noticed I finally have the lock/under review on the portal. Fully not optimistic since people have posted multiple times that the interviews are done, but it's definitely new within the past ~week sooo idk
Yes!Aid packages are supposed to be available today on SURFS at some point, right?
Let me know if you hear anything!Yes!
Just saw a post in the Facebook group by Raushanah that there’s a delay so FinAid Packages will go out on Wednesday, 31st March 😕Let me know if you hear anything!
Just got the pre-II R so I'm guessing just a formality! Best of luck that it means better news for you though 🙂Me too! Does everyone get this at some point even if it's just before the pre-II R or does this mean there is still a glimmer, albeit a faint one, of hope that they haven't closed the cycle?
How is the info for financial aid being communicated today?
It’s going to be updated via SURFS. You gotta activate your account and create a username to log in.How is the info for financial aid being communicated today?
Anyone get their package?
I haven’t. They’re making every part of the process unnecessarily stressful.Anyone get their package?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
6pm EST and no packages? Smh
How long has it been taking to be approved for in-state tuition? I've lived in MD for over 10 years.
WL interviewed early February
Quarantini
Full Member
I just stumbled upon this now and this was literally the most helpful thing I've read on this subject--like EVER <3Sorry about the pre-II hold!! Not an ignorant question at all. I'm not sure if I can answer this objectively! I can relate my own personal feelings though!
Most of the schools I applied to I chose based off of mission and available opportunities for service, patient interaction through clinics and other opportunities, and excellent rotation sites. I also chose schools that I thought shared a lot of my values and perspective on medicine and healthcare. I did not choose schools with a strong research focus. I chose schools with a strong focus on the underserved and community service/engagement. Conversely, I applied to UMSOM because it's my state school, not because I felt a strong connection to the school's mission. IMO research is pretty important to UMSOM. I have a really hard time talking about my research experience in a positive way and I think, despite my best efforts, that came through on my secondary.
Now, I am not suggesting that UMSOM does not have good values, opportunities for patient interaction, a focus on community service, or good rotation sites. I just preferred those of other schools I applied to. I felt I didn't connect with UMSOM's mission as much, and my lack of enthusiasm for research didn't help. I really prefer the art of medicine over the science of medicine, and that's something I stressed a lot in my secondary and in my personal statement. I'm not sure that vibes with UMSOM (pardon my word choice here lol).
Granted, this is all my opinion and perspective on UMSOM. It is still an excellent school with great opportunities. Others might have entirely different perspectives on UMSOM and disagree with me completely, and that's totally ok! I'm also sorry if my answer sounds ignorant or uneducated!