You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2020-2021 Maryland
Started by TheDataKing
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Not yet. Check out this link: NEW Accepted Student Timeline and Protocol | University of Maryland School of Medicine. It gives a lot of good info about the timeline.has anyone heard of their waitlist placement yet?
It also said on my message for the waitlist that we will get formal emails about instructions for the waitlist in early May, so if we were going to find out, I assume it is going to be then. Hope this helps and best of luck with everything.
Yeah, I'm assuming we're gonna hear back April 30/early May. I got put on hold post II in January, stalked last years thread and people put on hold heard back (As, WLs and R's) around then.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How difficult is it for OOS students to get in-state tuition rate after the first year ?
synergetics2020
Full Member
What are the chances of getting accepted off the waitlist here?
20 on average get accepted off a waitlist of 200What are the chances of getting accepted off the waitlist here?
Yowch, UMD financial aid kinda kicked me under the belt. Really expected better than this, especially as a MD resident.
It was a very hard decision for me to make but I chose to withdraw. For those going to the UMSOM, as a former RN at UMMC who loved their time there, you will be working with amazing faculty and have the opportunity to get clinical experience serving the underserved as well as sick and complex cases. Good luck!
sturgeon surgeon
Full Member
Hi everyone, withdrawing today as well. Best of luck to all of you in the future. It was a tough decision and really seems like a wonderful and accepting place to go to school
Just withdrew.... Best of luck guys <3
They'll send a formal email in the next couple of weeks both asking you to confirm your spot on the waitlist and whether you are in the top or bottom half of their list.has anyone heard of their waitlist placement yet?
Quarantini
Full Member
Thanks Exocus for clarifying this. This seems like an excessively long time to keep us waiting! I understand it's called a waitlist for a reason but a few weeks from traffic day is truly excessive. Additionally, I feel like we're running up against summer-start dates for a reasonable # of MD and DO schools alike... Has anyone been through or does anyone know anyone who's been through this process with UMD before? Do you all have any additional insight?They'll send a formal email in the next couple of weeks both asking you to confirm your spot on the waitlist and whether you are in the top or bottom half of their list.
I was on their waitlist in the 2018-2019 cycle, and the email came out a week after traffic date that year (5/8). Sent in my contract and basically had 0 correspondence until the final rejection letter the week of orientation, so I wouldn't expect too much in terms of communications.Thanks Exocus for clarifying this. This seems like an excessively long time to keep us waiting! I understand it's called a waitlist for a reason but a few weeks from traffic day is truly excessive. Additionally, I feel like we're running up against summer-start dates for a reasonable # of MD and DO schools alike... Has anyone been through or does anyone know anyone who's been through this process with UMD before? Do you all have any additional insight?
Withdrew today - best wishes to those still in the running
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
anyone still haven't heard of a post-II decision? interviewed in December and got put on hold in January 🤔
Quarantini
Full Member
I would honestly give admissions a call. The lady I called with a question or two a while back was nothing but lovely and kind! Even if they can’t give you a definitive answer, it can help to know you called or just that you actually asked someone!anyone still haven't heard of a post-II decision? interviewed in December and got put on hold in January 🤔
Quarantini
Full Member
Let’s manifest answers for waitlist or anyone still waiting tomorrow 🥰🥰🥰
justsomeguy1
New Member
has anybody called to ask for waitlist updates?
I've heard (at least for MD/PhD) that waitlist will not hear back till the end of May.
Quarantini
Full Member
If anyone hears anything for regular MD, be it a mass email or an individual phone call/email on the DL, please post it here. I promise to do the same. TIA!
bodynotfondofcoffee
Full Member
what???? man ive been waiting for that waitlist placement email (top half or bottom half) this whole time... feelsbadmanI've heard (at least for MD/PhD) that waitlist will not hear back till the end of May.
At this point I’m fully expecting an email to come in saying that their current class is over subscribed and that their waitlist is 200+ individuals
synergetics2020
Full Member
Just received email about waitlist position
200 people on waitlist, class is currently full
200 people on waitlist, class is currently full
Does anyone know how they rank?? Like what’s the best you can get here. It’s so vague.
I looked over the msar and it’s only the vague top half of WL and bottom half of WL ranking. I wish they’d tell us where we were since it’s already predetermined 👀Does anyone know how they rank?? Like what’s the best you can get here. It’s so vague.
20It only says if you are in the top or bottom half which is only useful if it is bottom half because you know you arent getting in. Top half is anywhere from 1-100 and I cant find avg number of offers made to waitlist in recent years.
justsomeguy1
New Member
I got an email with my waitlist position (top half/bottom half) but the email emphasizes that they don't expect much wl movement :/
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Quarantini
Full Member
Right, exactly! Just as is that information is really not very helpful at this point even for the lucky few in the top say 25-30 positions... I feel bad comparing but it seems like other schools have a much more straightforward way of doing this and already knew their numbers/started making waitlist calls last week :/It only says if you are in the top or bottom half which is only useful if it is bottom half because you know you arent getting in. Top half is anywhere from 1-100 and I cant find avg number of offers made to waitlist in recent years.
If you call @synergetics2020, let us know what they sayAny of y'all planning on calling to ask how much movement is expected this year?
synergetics2020
Full Member
How hopeful are we?
Not very but a little. I’m losing hope on June 1st baby. They usually pull 20 off a 200 person list... and since it’s ranked with the top and bottom half it’s essentially 20 out of 100... not good odds
Quarantini
Full Member
Either this, or like a few days after their CTE deadline. Because maybe I'm misinterpreting what the email said but I feel like since it said that after CTE those committed are not supposed to be on any other waitlists still, only "acts of god" would cause people to drop after that.Not very but a little. I’m losing hope on June 1st baby. They usually pull 20 off a 200 person list... and since it’s ranked with the top and bottom half it’s essentially 20 out of 100... not good odds
when's their CTE deadline?Either this, or like a few days after their CTE deadline. Because maybe I'm misinterpreting what the email said but I feel like since it said that after CTE those committed are not supposed to be on any other waitlists still, only "acts of god" would cause people to drop after that.
Quarantini
Full Member
Their school-specific CTE deadline is June 15th. So given the amount of time it took them to release their waitlist "information," I would give them until at least the 21st to start calling people for the few spots that are open. And then I guess depending on those people it would trickle down from there. All I can say at this point is hope, pray, manifest lol, and also I hope that people aren't holding onto seats here to try to barter fin aid packages elsewhere because it's SUPER late in the cycle to try to be successful with that :/when's their CTE deadline?
synergetics2020
Full Member
Was anyone actually accepted off the waitlist last year? I know historically they accept around 20, but last year their class was already oversubscribed when they released waitlist info, and no one posted on SDN about getting accepted off of the waitlist.
Also, does anyone know how long their Facebook page has had 265 members? Makes me nervous their class may be already oversubscribed...
Also, does anyone know how long their Facebook page has had 265 members? Makes me nervous their class may be already oversubscribed...
I wouldn't expect much. It's likely there were so few vacated spots that the people who got in weren't on SDN. They traditionally have had very little movement.Was anyone actually accepted off the waitlist last year? I know historically they accept around 20, but last year their class was already oversubscribed when they released waitlist info, and no one posted on SDN about getting accepted off of the waitlist.
Also, does anyone know how long their Facebook page has had 265 members? Makes me nervous their class may be already oversubscribed...
synergetics2020
Full Member
Anyone get accepted off the waitlist here lately? Been pretty silent
nopeAnyone get accepted off the waitlist here lately? Been pretty silent
I ain’t gonna lie y’all. It ain’t looking too good.
Did you call the office?I ain’t gonna lie y’all. It ain’t looking too good.
synergetics2020
Full Member
Why not?I ain’t gonna lie y’all. It ain’t looking too good.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Maybe because next week is June and we've been at this for a full year now 😥 Feels like time is running out.Why not?
benzeniality
Full Member
I think there has been some waitlist movement as there have been a few new people who have joined the groupme. The FB group with 265 members consists of current medical students as well from all 4 years, but I think our class size for 2025 is currently around 140.Was anyone actually accepted off the waitlist last year? I know historically they accept around 20, but last year their class was already oversubscribed when they released waitlist info, and no one posted on SDN about getting accepted off of the waitlist.
Also, does anyone know how long their Facebook page has had 265 members? Makes me nervous their class may be already oversubscribed...
synergetics2020
Full Member
Oh okay that makes sense! Is 140 the number of people in the groupme?I think there has been some waitlist movement as there have been a few new people who have joined the groupme. The FB group with 265 members consists of current medical students as well from all 4 years, but I think our class size for 2025 is currently around 140.
135Oh okay that makes sense! Is 140 the number of people in the groupme?
synergetics2020
Full Member
That gives me some hope of potential waitlist movement!