2020-2021 Maryland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone get their package?
I haven’t. They’re making every part of the process unnecessarily stressful.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
How long has it been taking to be approved for in-state tuition? I've lived in MD for over 10 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Jesus Christ. Just checked my FA. Terrible

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Sorry about the pre-II hold!! Not an ignorant question at all. I'm not sure if I can answer this objectively! I can relate my own personal feelings though!

Most of the schools I applied to I chose based off of mission and available opportunities for service, patient interaction through clinics and other opportunities, and excellent rotation sites. I also chose schools that I thought shared a lot of my values and perspective on medicine and healthcare. I did not choose schools with a strong research focus. I chose schools with a strong focus on the underserved and community service/engagement. Conversely, I applied to UMSOM because it's my state school, not because I felt a strong connection to the school's mission. IMO research is pretty important to UMSOM. I have a really hard time talking about my research experience in a positive way and I think, despite my best efforts, that came through on my secondary.

Now, I am not suggesting that UMSOM does not have good values, opportunities for patient interaction, a focus on community service, or good rotation sites. I just preferred those of other schools I applied to. I felt I didn't connect with UMSOM's mission as much, and my lack of enthusiasm for research didn't help. I really prefer the art of medicine over the science of medicine, and that's something I stressed a lot in my secondary and in my personal statement. I'm not sure that vibes with UMSOM (pardon my word choice here lol).

Granted, this is all my opinion and perspective on UMSOM. It is still an excellent school with great opportunities. Others might have entirely different perspectives on UMSOM and disagree with me completely, and that's totally ok! I'm also sorry if my answer sounds ignorant or uneducated!
I just stumbled upon this now and this was literally the most helpful thing I've read on this subject--like EVER <3

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, I'm assuming we're gonna hear back April 30/early May. I got put on hold post II in January, stalked last years thread and people put on hold heard back (As, WLs and R's) around then.

Withdrew today. Best of luck to the waitlisted homies!

How difficult is it for OOS students to get in-state tuition rate after the first year ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yowch, UMD financial aid kinda kicked me under the belt. Really expected better than this, especially as a MD resident.

It was a very hard decision for me to make but I chose to withdraw. For those going to the UMSOM, as a former RN at UMMC who loved their time there, you will be working with amazing faculty and have the opportunity to get clinical experience serving the underserved as well as sick and complex cases. Good luck!

Reactions: 4 users
Hi everyone, withdrawing today as well. Best of luck to all of you in the future. It was a tough decision and really seems like a wonderful and accepting place to go to school

has anyone heard of their waitlist placement yet?
They'll send a formal email in the next couple of weeks both asking you to confirm your spot on the waitlist and whether you are in the top or bottom half of their list.

They'll send a formal email in the next couple of weeks both asking you to confirm your spot on the waitlist and whether you are in the top or bottom half of their list.
Thanks Exocus for clarifying this. This seems like an excessively long time to keep us waiting! I understand it's called a waitlist for a reason but a few weeks from traffic day is truly excessive. Additionally, I feel like we're running up against summer-start dates for a reasonable # of MD and DO schools alike... Has anyone been through or does anyone know anyone who's been through this process with UMD before? Do you all have any additional insight?

Thanks Exocus for clarifying this. This seems like an excessively long time to keep us waiting! I understand it's called a waitlist for a reason but a few weeks from traffic day is truly excessive. Additionally, I feel like we're running up against summer-start dates for a reasonable # of MD and DO schools alike... Has anyone been through or does anyone know anyone who's been through this process with UMD before? Do you all have any additional insight?
I was on their waitlist in the 2018-2019 cycle, and the email came out a week after traffic date that year (5/8). Sent in my contract and basically had 0 correspondence until the final rejection letter the week of orientation, so I wouldn't expect too much in terms of communications.

Withdrew today - best wishes to those still in the running

anyone still haven't heard of a post-II decision? interviewed in December and got put on hold in January :unsure:

anyone still haven't heard of a post-II decision? interviewed in December and got put on hold in January :unsure:
I would honestly give admissions a call. The lady I called with a question or two a while back was nothing but lovely and kind! Even if they can’t give you a definitive answer, it can help to know you called or just that you actually asked someone!

Let’s manifest answers for waitlist or anyone still waiting tomorrow 🥰🥰🥰

• Love
I've heard (at least for MD/PhD) that waitlist will not hear back till the end of May.

If anyone hears anything for regular MD, be it a mass email or an individual phone call/email on the DL, please post it here. I promise to do the same. TIA!

At this point I’m fully expecting an email to come in saying that their current class is over subscribed and that their waitlist is 200+ individuals

Just received email about waitlist position
200 people on waitlist, class is currently full

Does anyone know how they rank?? Like what’s the best you can get here. It’s so vague.

Does anyone know how they rank?? Like what’s the best you can get here. It’s so vague.
I looked over the msar and it’s only the vague top half of WL and bottom half of WL ranking. I wish they’d tell us where we were since it’s already predetermined 👀

It only says if you are in the top or bottom half which is only useful if it is bottom half because you know you arent getting in. Top half is anywhere from 1-100 and I cant find avg number of offers made to waitlist in recent years.

It only says if you are in the top or bottom half which is only useful if it is bottom half because you know you arent getting in. Top half is anywhere from 1-100 and I cant find avg number of offers made to waitlist in recent years.

Would update letters at this point in time help at all?

I got an email with my waitlist position (top half/bottom half) but the email emphasizes that they don't expect much wl movement :/

Right, exactly! Just as is that information is really not very helpful at this point even for the lucky few in the top say 25-30 positions... I feel bad comparing but it seems like other schools have a much more straightforward way of doing this and already knew their numbers/started making waitlist calls last week :/

Any of y'all planning on calling to ask how much movement is expected this year?

Not very but a little. I’m losing hope on June 1st baby. They usually pull 20 off a 200 person list... and since it’s ranked with the top and bottom half it’s essentially 20 out of 100... not good odds

Not very but a little. I’m losing hope on June 1st baby. They usually pull 20 off a 200 person list... and since it’s ranked with the top and bottom half it’s essentially 20 out of 100... not good odds
Either this, or like a few days after their CTE deadline. Because maybe I'm misinterpreting what the email said but I feel like since it said that after CTE those committed are not supposed to be on any other waitlists still, only "acts of god" would cause people to drop after that.

Either this, or like a few days after their CTE deadline. Because maybe I'm misinterpreting what the email said but I feel like since it said that after CTE those committed are not supposed to be on any other waitlists still, only "acts of god" would cause people to drop after that.
when's their CTE deadline?

when's their CTE deadline?
Their school-specific CTE deadline is June 15th. So given the amount of time it took them to release their waitlist "information," I would give them until at least the 21st to start calling people for the few spots that are open. And then I guess depending on those people it would trickle down from there. All I can say at this point is hope, pray, manifest lol, and also I hope that people aren't holding onto seats here to try to barter fin aid packages elsewhere because it's SUPER late in the cycle to try to be successful with that :/

Was anyone actually accepted off the waitlist last year? I know historically they accept around 20, but last year their class was already oversubscribed when they released waitlist info, and no one posted on SDN about getting accepted off of the waitlist.

Also, does anyone know how long their Facebook page has had 265 members? Makes me nervous their class may be already oversubscribed...

Was anyone actually accepted off the waitlist last year? I know historically they accept around 20, but last year their class was already oversubscribed when they released waitlist info, and no one posted on SDN about getting accepted off of the waitlist.

Also, does anyone know how long their Facebook page has had 265 members? Makes me nervous their class may be already oversubscribed...
I wouldn't expect much. It's likely there were so few vacated spots that the people who got in weren't on SDN. They traditionally have had very little movement.

I ain’t gonna lie y’all. It ain’t looking too good.