2020-2021 Maryland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is Maryland a school that generally waitlists a very high percentage of their later interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

Are interviews done? I have nothing but radio silence since my submission and assessing whether it's worth sending a late update

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Same here. Complete 10/2 and been on hold since Nov. I did see someone earlier get an R and was complete 10/17, so maybe they will come back around to give us a decision. :/
hello may I introduce myself, complete 7/18, on hold since 12/5. expectations are quite low for them to get back to me

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
I'm going to send an update, as suggested but finding it hard to come across VCU-specific reasons for wanting to go there. All I see is their collaborative curriculum, which is fine to mention. Respectfully, what else is VCU known for that might be referenced as being in line with an applicant's values/strengths in an update letter? Thanks
Uhhh...different state dude.

What do you mean by on hold? Did they send you an email?
"The Committee on Admissions at the University of Maryland School of Medicine has made an initial review of your application and will need more time to reach a final decision as to whether or not to invite you for an interview."

pre-II R, OOS, complete 8/14

good luck to those still interviewing, and congrats to those attending!

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Pre-II R today, my portal had a lock icon next to the "interview" line and said "under review" for a while so I though maybe that was good sign lol nope

I'm still alive (somehow) with the recent lock symbol. @theatrics98 What was your complete date? Maybe they haven't gotten to September yet for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pre-II R today, my portal had a lock icon next to the "interview" line and said "under review" for a while so I though maybe that was good sign lol nope
Where on the portal do you see under review? I was complete 8/5 and dont see that anywhere

Has anyone gotten off the alternative list so far?

Has anyone heard anything today? If so, when did you interview?

Interviewed 2/17 and dying to hear back although I realize I probably won't for another couple weeks.

Has anyone heard anything today? If so, when did you interview?

Interviewed 2/17 and dying to hear back although I realize I probably won't for another couple weeks.
i feel you :/
i interviewed 2/10 and am anxiously waiting to hear back as well. do you know what time/day decisions usually come out?

Finally got the famous "under review" lock in my page. Complete 9/18/2020.

Just noticed I have the under review lock too, complete 8/13. This is the beginning of the end isn’t it?🤣

Where is everyone seeing the 'under review' lock? I basically sent a hail Mary expressing my interest (I do research and work at the hospital with teachers and work on the teams that the medical students rotate through during their clinicals, so I am very familiar with the school) and kind of expected to get an outright 'no' after that, but it appears nothing has changed at all from my status.

Where is everyone seeing the 'under review' lock? I basically sent a hail Mary expressing my interest (I do research and work at the hospital with teachers and work on the teams that the medical students rotate through during their clinicals, so I am very familiar with the school) and kind of expected to get an outright 'no' after that, but it appears nothing has changed at all from my status.
61D79129-788C-4BE0-8D3B-18403D9E4D97.jpeg

+1 to finally under review! Complete early August, no hold or anything else since I submitted. I know at this point it's all but done, but good to know my application was finally acknowledged 😂

Just FYI for everyone (like me!) who was still waiting: their interview season is over :(

I called the office to see if more IIs were coming out. They said that the last interview had already been conducted.
Thanks for checking! Hopefully they will kindly send me a rejection email soon

• Angry
I have that lock on my interview line as well...I sent in a letter of continued interest after a pre-II hold. I also had the CEO of the company I work for send a LOR, which he says was glowing. Can you please tell me if you were on hold, whether you updated them, and when you completed your app? Any info helps ease anxiety, thanks!

I have that lock on my interview line as well...I sent in a letter of continued interest after a pre-II hold. I also had the CEO of the company I work for send a LOR, which he says was glowing. Can you please tell me if you were on hold, whether you updated them, and when you completed your app? Any info helps ease anxiety, thanks!
Someone a few posts up said they called and was told their interview season is over so I wouldn’t count on any more II

BALTIMORE, Feb. 23, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Attorneys at Sanford Heisler Sharp LLP today filed a lawsuit against University Place Apts. LLC, University Place Apts. Partner, LLC and Signature Properties, LLC in the Circuit Court for Baltimore City, Maryland on behalf of Emily Doe, a former University of Maryland Medical School student, who was raped by a stranger after he gained access to her apartment through the faulty door of the building. The lawsuit alleges Defendants are guilty of Premises Liability for negligently failing to repair the known safety risk.

According to the complaint, Emily Doe was a 26-year-old medical student living in the University Place Apartments, a complex marketed specifically to students because of its proximity to the University of Maryland. Late one night, in May 2018, a strange man entered Emily Doe’s apartment, violently held her down, wrapped his arm around her neck and raped her, threatening throughout that he would kill her if she made a sound. The man was able to access the building through the malfunctioning door of the apartment building. The exterior door was supposed to be a secure, locked door, accessible only by entering a keypad code, but instead it did not close properly.

Prior to the rape, Emily Doe complained to building management that the faulty door posed a security risk. In fact, in an email sent to building residents, the building’s management acknowledged the safety risk posed by a door that was not properly closed. This was especially problematic in a neighborhood with known high crime rates.

Is there really a crime problem in the area or is this article inaccurate?
I don't mean this to sound as sarcastic as it sounds, but are you familiar with the Baltimore area as a whole? Downtown Baltimore, even the nicest areas, isn't the safest place in the world. The area that the school is in isn't terrible as far as Baltimore goes, but it isn't great either. I work at the hospital affiliated with the school, which is across the street. I arrive when it is still dark out and security isn't out yet, so I've started to carry pepper spray just for the short walk from the garage to the hospital, if that gives you an idea of the area.

Thank you for the informed reply.
You're welcome! I just figured someone who is in the area multiple days a week could give the best answer. If it is any comfort, the area the UMD medical school is in is better than the area that Johns Hopkins is in (though it is only a few miles down the road).

Did anyone else's financial aid thingy go to junk?

Was offered scholarship today! Damn, I'm having a hard time deciding where to go!

Did anyone else on the WL get an email about UMID account today?