2020-2021 Maryland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What do you mean by on hold? Did they send you an email?
"The Committee on Admissions at the University of Maryland School of Medicine has made an initial review of your application and will need more time to reach a final decision as to whether or not to invite you for an interview."
 
Pre-II R today, my portal had a lock icon next to the "interview" line and said "under review" for a while so I though maybe that was good sign lol nope
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Where is everyone seeing the 'under review' lock? I basically sent a hail Mary expressing my interest (I do research and work at the hospital with teachers and work on the teams that the medical students rotate through during their clinicals, so I am very familiar with the school) and kind of expected to get an outright 'no' after that, but it appears nothing has changed at all from my status.
 
Where is everyone seeing the 'under review' lock? I basically sent a hail Mary expressing my interest (I do research and work at the hospital with teachers and work on the teams that the medical students rotate through during their clinicals, so I am very familiar with the school) and kind of expected to get an outright 'no' after that, but it appears nothing has changed at all from my status.
61D79129-788C-4BE0-8D3B-18403D9E4D97.jpeg
 
+1 to finally under review! Complete early August, no hold or anything else since I submitted. I know at this point it's all but done, but good to know my application was finally acknowledged 😂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Pre-II R today, my portal had a lock icon next to the "interview" line and said "under review" for a while so I though maybe that was good sign lol nope
I have that lock on my interview line as well...I sent in a letter of continued interest after a pre-II hold. I also had the CEO of the company I work for send a LOR, which he says was glowing. Can you please tell me if you were on hold, whether you updated them, and when you completed your app? Any info helps ease anxiety, thanks!
 
I have that lock on my interview line as well...I sent in a letter of continued interest after a pre-II hold. I also had the CEO of the company I work for send a LOR, which he says was glowing. Can you please tell me if you were on hold, whether you updated them, and when you completed your app? Any info helps ease anxiety, thanks!
Someone a few posts up said they called and was told their interview season is over so I wouldn’t count on any more II
 
BALTIMORE, Feb. 23, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Attorneys at Sanford Heisler Sharp LLP today filed a lawsuit against University Place Apts. LLC, University Place Apts. Partner, LLC and Signature Properties, LLC in the Circuit Court for Baltimore City, Maryland on behalf of Emily Doe, a former University of Maryland Medical School student, who was raped by a stranger after he gained access to her apartment through the faulty door of the building. The lawsuit alleges Defendants are guilty of Premises Liability for negligently failing to repair the known safety risk.

According to the complaint, Emily Doe was a 26-year-old medical student living in the University Place Apartments, a complex marketed specifically to students because of its proximity to the University of Maryland. Late one night, in May 2018, a strange man entered Emily Doe’s apartment, violently held her down, wrapped his arm around her neck and raped her, threatening throughout that he would kill her if she made a sound. The man was able to access the building through the malfunctioning door of the apartment building. The exterior door was supposed to be a secure, locked door, accessible only by entering a keypad code, but instead it did not close properly.

Prior to the rape, Emily Doe complained to building management that the faulty door posed a security risk. In fact, in an email sent to building residents, the building’s management acknowledged the safety risk posed by a door that was not properly closed. This was especially problematic in a neighborhood with known high crime rates.


Is there really a crime problem in the area or is this article inaccurate?
I don't mean this to sound as sarcastic as it sounds, but are you familiar with the Baltimore area as a whole? Downtown Baltimore, even the nicest areas, isn't the safest place in the world. The area that the school is in isn't terrible as far as Baltimore goes, but it isn't great either. I work at the hospital affiliated with the school, which is across the street. I arrive when it is still dark out and security isn't out yet, so I've started to carry pepper spray just for the short walk from the garage to the hospital, if that gives you an idea of the area.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad