Maryland vs. NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HoyaSaxa2010

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in at both and trying to decide. I was hoping some of you could toss in some thoughts...

Factors:
* MD is a lot cheaper than NYU (24K vs 47K)
* I have family within 20 min of Baltimore, but will have far more friends in NYC
* Facilities at MD looked newer, but the hospitals at NYU seemed better
* NYU is pass fail, MD is ABCDF
* Would probably be closer to the top of my class at MD

I am leaning towards Maryland because of cost, proximity to home and the type of lifestyle I would live (nicer apartment, have a car, etc). However, I am worried that (1) I would be less happy at a school that isn't pass/fail and (2) I would be at a disadvantage for residency apps coming out of Maryland.

Any insightful recommendations would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the same boat and am leaning NYU because of the pass/fail issue and because I think living in NYC for a few years will really be fun. I hope to return to the Wash/Balt area for a residency so I hope I am not making a big mistake. I think in the end the cost differential wont appear as big as it does now.

I think you made a good case for choosing Maryland given that it's close to home, it's cheaper, and you can continue the lifestyle that you're accustomed to.

P/F is a big plus but it seems that you have better reasons for choosing the graded school. I don't think the difference in rank between the schools is very much and don't think you're hurting your chances for residency, especially if you plan to stay in the Maryland area. If you want to land a residency in NY, you may have an advantage coming out of NYU, otherwise it shouldn't matter.

Oh and don't assume you will be the top of your class in Maryland, you can't predict these things :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I would go to NYU for a number of reasons. While I know that SDN tells us to only look at money, I would look at a few more things. What school made you more happy? Was NYU like a dream school? Living in NYC also seems MUCH better than Baltimore. Don't you want a change?

I'm one of the few people over here that will tell you that it's ok to spend a lot of money on a school that you love. I would rather be in greater debt than have regrets that I let a good opportunity go.

So NYU is my vote :D

I would go to NYU for a number of reasons. While I know that SDN tells us to only look at money, I would look at a few more things. What school made you more happy? Was NYU like a dream school? Living in NYC also seems MUCH better than Baltimore. Don't you want a change?

I'm one of the few people over here that will tell you that it's ok to spend a lot of money on a school that you love. I would rather be in greater debt than have regrets that I let a good opportunity go.

So NYU is my vote :D
I agree with you. I think living in NYC and having the NYU name is worth it but if you really like Baltimore and you dont really care about the prestige factor then its an easy choice to go to the cheaper school, especially since it is a really good one!

I interviewed at both schools and although I'm waitlisted at both I'll give my 2 cents.

NYU>>>>>Maryland

-NYU is in NYC!! So much better than Baltimore!
-P/F is much better than ABCDF grading. I've heard this from MANY med students
-NYU more prestigious, higher ranking
-Better research opportunities imo.
-imo, more fun laid-back class

Although if you withdraw from NYU then I could possibly get in haha.

And if I withdraw from Maryland you could get in there too haha

Thanks for all of the advice everyone.

Anybody else have some insight?

And if I withdraw from Maryland you could get in there too haha

Thanks for all of the advice everyone.

Anybody else have some insight?

Hehe that's true. But I'd rather go to NYU! :) Good luck with your decision!

Tuition at NYU is 47,000 alone. add the cost of living in NYC you are easily looking at 70,000 a year. That is almost 300,000 borrowed. Add interest and :scared:. Maryland is a fine school with some great facilities. run to maryland and don't look back.

Having not applied to Maryland but having lived in Baltimore for the past 4 years, I'll tell you that living in Baltimore is AWESOME. It's cheap, there's so many restaurants/bars/things to do around town, and as long as you stay away from certain parts of town, you really don't have a lot of crime to worry about. It's pretty much like any city. If I had the choice of coming back to Baltimore or not, I definitely would.

Plus, you'd get to do clinical work at Maryland Shock Trauma, which is the epicenter of trauma for much of the mid-Atlantic. I also know a couple of Maryland students who did "away" rotations at Hopkins hospital during their 4th year.

Tuition is greater at NYU.
Cost of living is greater at NYU.
Opportunities (in my opinion) are similar.

In my mind, there's really no debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.