Northwestern vs. University of MN-Twin Cities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cbear

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I would appreciate some input on this just to see what people think, or if I'm crazy for even asking this question. I'm lucky enough to have acceptances to both of these schools, and am trying to decide where to go. Obviously I can't base my decision on an internet forum, but I don't really have friends that are pre-med to bounce this off of, so here goes:

I am IS for U of MN. Total Indebtedness for UMN would probably settle around 140,000 to 150,000 for me, and at NW it would be ~230,000 I think. Haven't heard back on Fin. Aid yet, though. I guess my question ties in to what several other threads have hit on, but is the prestige gain (if there arguably is one) of going from UMN to NW great enough to warrant ~80,000 more debt? For specialties I am interested in Therapeutic Rads or Rheumatology/Immunology, but obviously that could change.

I see myself as an equally good fit for both, and loved both schools.

My head says saving 80,000 going from a top 20 to a top 40 school is the smart thing to do, but my ego is having trouble giving up the top 20, lol.

Opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in a similar position to you in that I also hold acceptances at UMN and NU. If you're going to be taking on that much debt, I would almost certainly choose UMN over NU. An additional 80k carried over a 10 year period at a fixed 6.2% interest rate is 146000 (You're looking at 10 years with those competitive residencies...). So, you'd have to pay an additional 66k in interest in addition to the actual cost difference. If the financials are similar, however. NU is the obvious choice unless you have personal reasons for staying in Minneapolis.

In case you were curious, I'm not really considering UMN. I have it down to NU, UMich, UCSF or Penn/Duke (if I get accepted in March).

Good luck! You should update us on your eventual choice.

True, my family lives in the TC area, so that might also factor in.

Living in SF would be bomb! Good luck w/ your decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I would appreciate some input on this just to see what people think, or if I'm crazy for even asking this question. I'm lucky enough to have acceptances to both of these schools, and am trying to decide where to go. Obviously I can't base my decision on an internet forum, but I don't really have friends that are pre-med to bounce this off of, so here goes:

I am IS for U of MN. Total Indebtedness for UMN would probably settle around 140,000 to 150,000 for me, and at NW it would be ~230,000 I think. Haven't heard back on Fin. Aid yet, though. I guess my question ties in to what several other threads have hit on, but is the prestige gain (if there arguably is one) of going from UMN to NW great enough to warrant ~80,000 more debt? For specialties I am interested in Therapeutic Rads or Rheumatology/Immunology, but obviously that could change.

I see myself as an equally good fit for both, and loved both schools.

My head says saving 80,000 going from a top 20 to a top 40 school is the smart thing to do, but my ego is having trouble giving up the top 20, lol.

Opinions?

IMO, no. That's a ridiculous amount of money. Definitely wait for financial aid to come out to check out the bottom line, though.

I'm actually in a somewhat similar situation. Really, it comes down to this:

MN:
Pros:
Large base/varieties of hospitals, high Primary care ranking, much cheaper cost of living, close to family, MSP is one of the safest/most awesome metropolitan areas to live in this country, more variety in study spaces (I'm not that attached to having my own desk), less expensive, students seem more down-to-earth (who knows, though?), P/F grading

Cons: first two years underground, crappy lecture halls, they don't seem that sure of the new curriculum, stupid stupid administration (former UMN ugrad student, here)

NWU:
Pros: In a nice area of Chicago, right on the lake, fairly good facilities, you get your own desk, good reputation, do not need a car, plenty of opportunities for free clinic work, three afternoons off a week (!!!), P/F grading, focus on collegial atmosphere (PBL is part of this), can get a MPH within 4 years (depends on how crazy you want to be I guess)

Cons: PBL (depends on the person), ridiculously expensive, only one hospital to really choose from and that services a very particular (rich) part of Chicago, ridiculously expensive housing ($1000+/month for one person with roommates? Agh!), far from home

That's my take on it, though. Everyone is going to have different opinions on what they want to do. I don't think it's as cut and dry as people above make it just because MN is a state school.

All very good points. That's about what I have now, lol.

three afternoons off a week

I talked to a friend who is an M3 at UMN, and he says that if we start as M1's next year at UMN the new curriculum they decided on will give 3 (and sometimes 4!!) afternoons a week, which for me as someone who can learn outside of lecture just fine is a major plus.

Reading these, I think I probably should/want to go to Minnesota, but it's so hard to say no to UNW and the city of chicago! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.