2019-2020 Minnesota, Twin Cities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone who has received full-tuition scholarship know how that applies to OOS students? Does it cover the full OOS tuition or just the MN resident portion?

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted this morning from the wait list, my original number was in the 50s. Best of luck to everyone else!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Accepted off alternate this morning. Top 50's originally. The list seems to be moving quickly. goodluck guys!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got accepted off of the waitlist in the 50's! so there's probably still hope for others down the line too!

Reactions: 1 user
the (relatively new) dean of the medical school seems amazing and I firmly believe he has started the U on an upward trajectory in rankings (has already done so in the few years he's been here). did you all see the new $35 million donation for the institute on brain development? wow

has there been this much movement off from the waitlist in the past....does anybody why?
also if you have done the background check for another school, do you have to do a new one again or does that information get released automatically?

has there been this much movement off from the waitlist in the past....does anybody why?
also if you have done the background check for another school, do you have to do a new one again or does that information get released automatically?
I’m wondering the same. Has anyone in the 60s been accepted yet?

For those who are recently accepted, have you received an email from the background check service?

For those who are recently accepted, have you received an email from the background check service?
I was accepted Friday May 1st and received the email on Wednesday May 6th. I filled it out the same day and am still waiting for it to be completed.

I was accepted Friday May 1st and received the email on Wednesday May 6th. I filled it out the same day and am still waiting for it to be completed.
I did one a while back after being accepted to another school. I am not sure if I need to do it again. If so, I was accepted May 12th and still have not received the email.

I did one a while back after being accepted to another school. I am not sure if I need to do it again. If so, I was accepted May 12th and still have not received the email.
I'm not positive but I don't think you need to complete another one. From the AAMC.... "Upon your initial, conditional acceptance to an additional, participating medical school, the report will be made available to additional, participating school(s) offering the acceptance, after January 1."

I'm not positive but I don't think you need to complete another one. From the AAMC.... "Upon your initial, conditional acceptance to an additional, participating medical school, the report will be made available to additional, participating school(s) offering the acceptance, after January 1."
Thanks !
For those who recently got accepted, after May, have you received your financial aid package

Thanks !
For those who recently got accepted, after May, have you received your financial aid package

I emailed them and this is what the Medical School Financial Aid office responded:

TL;DR: wait until mid-July to receive financial aid package.

"In general though, when we do have your 2020-21 FAFSA on file, and it includes your parental income tax data, as we asked you to do if you wish to be considered for any of the need-based scholarships we offer at the University of Minnesota Medical School, and when we do have your Medical Student Scholarship Application (the other part we need from you) on file, you will be fully-funded with loans and/or scholarships (scholarships - if you're eligible) up to the cost-of-attendance. You will be awarded loans through us directly from the US government (federal loans) and/or from the University of Minnesota (institutional loans) itself.

As a reminder to you as an incoming student, please see that on the 2020 Entering Class website at 2019-2020 Next Steps: Accepted Students under the Applying for Financial Aid heading you will find the timeline that may answer additional questions you might have. Since you were accepted to the Medical School after early April, you will not receive an estimated financial aid award letter.

At this point, no one from the entering class of students has heard from us yet regarding their ACTUAL/OFFICIAL financial aid award packages. We do not anticipate sending out electronic Financial Aid Award Notices (FAANs) until summer = approximately mid-July of this year. These FAANs are sent to the students' University-assigned email addresses.

Once they receive their actual Financial Aid Award Notices, students will be accepting, reducing, or declining the loan offers awarded to them, and this is all done online.

I hope what I have written here is clear. If not, please give me a call at the number listed above, and I will try to clarify it."

Is there a $100 deposit to secure your spot at the U? Does it state it is refundable to attending students?

Is there a $100 deposit to secure your spot at the U? Does it state it is refundable to attending students?

Its not refundable after April 30 and if you’re attending, I guess it goes towards your tuition??