2019-2020 Minnesota, Twin Cities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
rejected post interview, OOS :( interview 10/18

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Sorry to hear that. Rs suck.. I hear MN is really hard to get into for OOS, so it's a big deal you interviewed! Hopefully you'll end up with good new from other schools soon.

What day did you interview by the way?

10/24. At least they got back to you in a timely fashion.

Late to the party but accepted on Monday, II on 10/18.

Also haven’t gotten the FB link to work

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone from that interviewed on 10/24 still waiting to hear back?

just got an acceptance call!! interviewed 10/24

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know if they call all the people on one day, or staggered? If you don’t hear when other accepted hear, are you likely a WL?

Can anyone who interviewed speak to the general format? How many stations/ if there is traditional/ if its closed or open file?

in general was it a really stressful day? thank you in advance :)

Can anyone who interviewed speak to the general format? How many stations/ if there is traditional/ if its closed or open file?

in general was it a really stressful day? thank you in advance :)

You get an email with info when invited to interview and again a few days before the interview. I thought the MMI stations were mostly pretty chill, but there were a few tougher/more stressful ones.

General format is one 20 min conversation with a facutly/current med student (I don't remember if this was open or closed), then 10 MMI stations with a few break stations sprinkled in.

Reactions: 1 user
I haven't heard anything yet.
I should have updated earlier, but I got a call a few hours I posted this on Friday afternoon. I was accepted! My interview was 10/24. I'm OOS, but I did undergrad at the U and grew up in MN.

Reactions: 4 users
Just hit with the rejection. Kinda stings because this was one of my top OOS school picks. Complete mid-September.

• Sad
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else interview here and get the vibe that the medical students who gave the tour were miserable?

Anyone else interview here and get the vibe that the medical students who gave the tour were miserable?
For sure. And they have the traditional curriculum which seems to be adding to their stress. Our tour guide openly admitted that they'd rather have gone to another school, but only went to U of M cuz they accepted them. I am sure the school is much better than this person seemed to let off, but it was not a great look to have them leading the official tour.

Yeah, I got that feeling too. Ours straight up said he regretted going to med school. But given that I bombed that interview I don't think it will affect me in any case :p

I think you will probably get some students who don't particularly like the route they took, and that is completely okay. I had a great experience overall, and I know others who have had the same experience. If you don't vibe with the school, you do not have to go, but all the student ambassadors I met loved the program and had nothing but good things to say.

The administration has also done a ton to cater to the students. They respond to their requests, and the curriculum has changed as a result of these requests. Also remember that the new medical education building is being built right now. It is extremely beautiful, and it will offer new opportunities to the class of 2024 that the current students don't have. I went to UMN as an undergrad so I'm biased, but I have nothing but good things to say about UMN and MN in general.

Reactions: 2 users
I heard that they will not be giving feedback on their decisions this year? From what I remember during the interview and tour I thought they said they were more than happy to do so...anyone know anything about this?

I heard that they will not be giving feedback on their decisions this year? From what I remember during the interview and tour I thought they said they were more than happy to do so...anyone know anything about this?
I asked for feedback and they said no, so it seems like that's accurate

I had a total opposite experience! My guide was praising the school and an M2 that came into the building to study saw us and decided to join the tour and answer questions. My two guides, along with the student I spoke with at lunch, had nothing but good things to say about the school.
I agree with this, I had an amazing experience as well. There was a real sense of school pride, and the students all seemed extremely excited about the new possibilities on the horizon with the brand new medical school building and expanding translational/biomedical research district. Additionally they (as I understand it) are transitioning away from the traditional heavy emphasis on lectures into more of a small-group learning system which I think is great. UMN-TC's was a lot of the students top choice, and I felt like that created an awesome vibe.

IS. Got the pre II R just now. Complete mid September. Potato stats, non-trad. Good luck to all.

• Sad
Accepted MSTP earlier today!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 5 users
Sad! Pre-interview R today. Good luck everyone

• Sad
I got the acceptance call today at 4:04 PM!!! II on 10/25, MCAT 509, gpa/sgpa both 3.8. Non-trad, used to be an environmental scientist for years.

I was starting to lose all hope since it had been just about 8 weeks. Good luck to you all!

Reactions: 6 users
Just got the acceptance call this morning! II 11/4, LM 72, IS! Really really excited, holy moly!

Reactions: 9 users
Just got the acceptance call! 10/25 interview. I'm literally the most excited!!!!

Reactions: 6 users
Also got the acceptance call this morning! Interviewed 10/31, OOS, LM 73

Hey everyone, Jan interview and kinda figuring things out. Could someone add to or verify what I gathered? I like knowing the stakes.

Looks like I'm interviewing for a waitlist spot to be honest. (going by not seeing any outright acceptances these past 2 years from Jan on). Looks like that moves starting on April 30/decision day. There are 100 spots or so on the list and I'll know my ranking by that time. Looks like it moves 15-25ish spots each year.

Mstp pre ii r today. OOS with no direct connections but one of my research letters is from someone who trained there and said they knew multiple people on admissions so pretty bummed.

• Sad
Anyone still waiting for the acceptance email? I’m a little worried I made up the phone call.

^^regarding the above and current students being miserable. I just wanted to say that my MS1 experience has been generally really positive, and the school does care for us! If you interviewed around midterms and finals, those weeks are hard and I can see why people would seem miserable. Traditional curriculum has its issues, but is manageable and also has its perks. I will say our faculty and admin is amazing and I feel I have tons of opportunities here!

Please feel free to reach out to me with any questions!

Has anyone sent in an update? How should I go about doing so? Interview is coming up in a few weeks

Has anyone sent in an update? How should I go about doing so? Interview is coming up in a few weeks
They will send you an email with instructions for updates before your interview. Mine didn't come until 2 days before, and they only accepted them until midnight the day of your interview.

anyone know when decisions for early December applicants are likely to go out?

Hey everyone, Jan interview and kinda figuring things out. Could someone add to or verify what I gathered? I like knowing the stakes.

Looks like I'm interviewing for a waitlist spot to be honest. (going by not seeing any outright acceptances these past 2 years from Jan on). Looks like that moves starting on April 30/decision day. There are 100 spots or so on the list and I'll know my ranking by that time. Looks like it moves 15-25ish spots each year.

I interviewed in January and during the Dean of Admissions' presentation she said that 180 acceptances had currently been offered, and they were expecting to offer 240-270 (I may have heard wrong but I'm pretty sure this is what she said). So it sounds like there's still some acceptances left to give!

Last edited:
@MDPhDHopeful3985 @mdphdhopefulapplicant
I have my interview next week, but I haven't had any correspondence with the school in 2 months since I accepted the invite. When did you recieve your official interview schedule?
Oh wow I'm so sorry I didn't see this message. I'm not on here too often. That's kinda scary that you didn't receive any emails. I hope you emailed the program to ask if there was any info you needed. I'll definitely follow up before my interview (hasn't happened yet).

So since the email stated we will be notified for sure by January 15th for an interview, I'm going to assume I'll be receiving a rejection very soon?

I called admissions this morning and asked if they would send a rejection email or if a rejection would just be implied since I haven’t heard back by the 15th. I was told there are still some February spots open so invites will still be going out. Good luck to everyone who gets one of the last few interview spots!

Hi folks! I am interviewing tomorrow. I read some posts saying that the interviews were pretty chill, that’s great!

I am just curious if they asked any Minneapolis/Minnesota/UMinnesota specific questions?

Hi folks! I am interviewing tomorrow. I read some posts saying that the interviews were pretty chill, that’s great!

I am just curious if they asked any Minneapolis/Minnesota/UMinnesota specific questions?
We all signed an NDA so I don’t think we’re allowed to talk about the specifics of what was asked, sorry! You’ll do great!

OOS, non-trad, mediocre stats, my strengths are my personal/diverse experiences, solid clinical hours, and dual degree in natural sciences.
Anyways, I got the pre II R today.
I just have to say, it was the most sincere and personalized R I’ve ever received. I feel like I was genuinely considered and I really appreciate that. Best wishes to the rest of you!

OOS, non-trad, mediocre stats, my strengths are my personal/diverse experiences, solid clinical hours, and dual degree in natural sciences.
Anyways, I got the pre II R today.
I just have to say, it was the most sincere and personalized R I’ve ever received. I feel like I was genuinely considered and I really appreciate that. Best wishes to the rest of you!
Hi! I am so sorry about that. Did they just sent it now? I’ve been waiting and haven’t received anything yet