2019-2020 Minnesota, Twin Cities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I had my interview this week. It was a lot of fun and I enjoyed getting to know people. At one MMI station, I quickly answered the question and had a chance to ask some questions to the students. I interviewed at 3 state schools so far and people overall seem to be very happy in state schools. It was also nice to meet students of diverse backgrounds; I think having diversity in the student body is a big strength of UMN. The school offers multiple tracks for the 3rd year clerkship, which seemed a bit confusing. However, I think that is also another strength of the school in preparing culturally competent physicians who want to focus on specific populations. The only donwside of the school was being located in an extremely cold city :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone who interviewed on 11/18 heard back?
I interviewed 10/31 and still have not heard back lol. I called, and they told me my application has to undergo final executive review before I'll hear back. Give them a call. They'll let you know where you are in the process. I think they are incredibly behind, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS, non-trad, mediocre stats, my strengths are my personal/diverse experiences, solid clinical hours, and dual degree in natural sciences.
Anyways, I got the pre II R today.
I just have to say, it was the most sincere and personalized R I’ve ever received. I feel like I was genuinely considered and I really appreciate that. Best wishes to the rest of you!
When did you submit the secondary?

Alright so I just feel like I could use some support and wanted to put this out there...I interviewed in September and didn't hear back until end of December. Unfortunately I was rejected. While I know that the application process is super competitive and that rejections are common, I can't help but wonder if they delay (over three months) from my interview date to when I heard had any impact on their decision. On their website they state that we would hear back in 6-8 weeks. This was also emphasized on the day of the interview, by multiple staff. Now that I've had some time to think about it and talk about it with others, I was wondering if I should reach out to the administration, even the dean, and mention the delay. I reached out multiple times during that three month period and didn't get a response back. The last time I reached out was in December, and then the next day I got my rejection. Thoughts on this?? I would really appreciate it! I by no means am blaming the admissions committee, but I would really like to get to the bottom of this. Thanks!

Alright so I just feel like I could use some support and wanted to put this out there...I interviewed in September and didn't hear back until end of December. Unfortunately I was rejected. While I know that the application process is super competitive and that rejections are common, I can't help but wonder if they delay (over three months) from my interview date to when I heard had any impact on their decision. On their website they state that we would hear back in 6-8 weeks. This was also emphasized on the day of the interview, by multiple staff. Now that I've had some time to think about it and talk about it with others, I was wondering if I should reach out to the administration, even the dean, and mention the delay. I reached out multiple times during that three month period and didn't get a response back. The last time I reached out was in December, and then the next day I got my rejection. Thoughts on this?? I would really appreciate it! I by no means am blaming the admissions committee, but I would really like to get to the bottom of this. Thanks!

hey i’m super sorry to hear that this was your experience. based on what they told us in terms of timelines, it definitely wasn’t fair to you as an applicant. but i do believe that given the time frame, they really discussed who you were as an applicant, and they did not short change you. It sounds like they had to make a really difficult decision, and it looks like that decision was carefully carried out to give you, as an applicant, the fairest shot possible. I think a really good discussion was made on your behalf, and it could’ve been just 1 vote that did not go your way, and that is really difficult.

What do you hope to learn by reaching out to the administration?

I just got waitlisted. I interviewed on December 11. That's my second WL this cycle. I'm a little bummed because this is my top choice. Here's to hoping that my other interviews pan out better or that I come off the waitlist here. Good luck everyone!

Also waitlisted. Interviewed 1/3. Really really hoping to get in here

Reactions: 1 user
I took a spin through one of the previous year's threads and people are listing their rankings on the wait-list. Are they not giving that out anymore?

I mean at this point it's out of our hands but the neurotic part of me wants to know.

I took a spin through one of the previous year's threads and people are listing their rankings on the wait-list. Are they not giving that out anymore?

I mean at this point it's out of our hands but the neurotic part of me wants to know.

I think they said rankings will be released in march/april

I’m not 100% certain but I have a feeling anyone who got “waitlisted” today just means that you interviewed after a certain date. It’s not the same as the alternate list per the email

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m not 100% certain but I have a feeling anyone who got “waitlisted” today just means that you interviewed after a certain date. It’s not the same as the alternate list per the email

When I interviewed on 1/3, I recall them saying there were maybe 40-ish seats left, I think.

Interesting. Waitlisted today, interviewed 12/13 OOS. So you think that just means they haven’t made decision yet? It’s not a true waitlist?

Interesting. Waitlisted today, interviewed 12/13 OOS. So you think that just means they haven’t made decision yet? It’s not a true waitlist?
That is my guess. I interviewed around the same time as you and they said they were so far behind that we wouldn’t hear back until February. Since everyone got this email today (including people who interviewed earlier this month) I’m guessing that this was a mass email to say “we haven’t made a decision.” It actually says in the email that they haven’t even decided to put us on the alternate list which to me means they didn’t make any decision and therefore just haven’t gotten to it yet. Just my thoughts

I'm an incoming student here, happy to answer any questions about the application process and can answer questions about the school itself come August!

Hi- say I just saw that you are a current student at the U and was just hoping for some advice/perspective. I submitted my app back in August, secondary as soon as I got it, and received an email confirmation that they had received everything in September. In that email from the admissions office they stated that I would hear by January 15 at the latest either way.

It is now Jan 24 and I still have not heard. I emailed them around the 14th and called and left a message earlier today with still no response.

The physician that I work for has tried contacting on my behalf with no success.

I am just wondering if you have any advice on who I could try contacting next? Should I try popping by the admissions office? Should I just try to sit tight and wait it out?

Praying for an interview, or at least an answer, soon.

Any help would be much appreciated!

I interviewed on 1/3 as well and have not heard anything either way yet, so they definitely didn't waitlist everyone who interviewed after a certain date...

I interviewed on 1/3 as well and have not heard anything either way yet, so they definitely didn't waitlist everyone who interviewed after a certain date...
I agree with this as well. I am obviously just speculating, but if UMN-Twin Cities was using an admissions practice like waitlisting every interviewee who attends an II from late December - March or whenever they complete their interviews that information would be available to applicants somewhere. Some schools that I know of like UMN-Duluth do freeze admissions around a certain date (or at least they have previously), and that practice is widely talked about/known in those applicant circles (sdn threads).

I agree with this as well. I am obviously just speculating, but if UMN-Twin Cities was using an admissions practice like waitlisting every interviewee who attends an II from late December - March or whenever they complete their interviews that information would be available to applicants somewhere. Some schools that I know of like UMN-Duluth do freeze admissions around a certain date (or at least they have previously), and that practice is widely talked about/known in those applicant circles (sdn threads).
It’s all just speculation. The
Thanks to both of you for your insight. Regardless, the waitlist email is odd because it states something to the effect that a decision on whether you are rejected, accepted, or placed on the alternate list will be made at a later date which is like basically saying nothing. It seems that if the app was already reviewed, one of those designations would’ve been selected. It’s also interesting that some people who interviewed in early January received the email since when we interviewed in early December they said a decision would be made in February. This seems like a fast turn around for the early January folks.

Update for people interested. I interviewed here a coupe weeks ago and they told us that they had already sent out 207 offers and that they were planning on sending out around 220 initially...

Reactions: 2 users
Interviewed 1/3, placed on the wait list yesterday. Looks like come April they'll send out decisions to people on the wait list with either an acceptance, your ranking on an alternate list, or a denial. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I just spoke with the admissions office. The last interview day with open spots is next Monday and they are still sending out interview invites this week for it.

Any news from anyone that interviewed 2nd or 3rd week of January? Crickets on my end :censored:

Any news from anyone that interviewed 2nd or 3rd week of January? Crickets on my end :censored:

On their site, it says that it takes up to 8 weeks for them to come to a decision post-interview.

Does Minnesota not participate in the AMCAS Choose Your Medical School tool?

Does Minnesota not participate in the AMCAS Choose Your Medical School tool?
not sure... but I don't see it either on my home page. for whatever reason, I would assume they have not reported acceptances to AAMC yet. so i wouldn't worry about it too much. you can always email them and ask if you'd like.

so people that HAVE been accepted cant see the U on their choose their school list either right??? ahh, i was freaking out

Interviewed 1/3, got the "no decision yet, sit tight" email in early February, still waiting. This is killing me. I feel like all of my other interviews got back to me within a month, but maybe I just lucked out.

Last edited:
Interviewed 1/3, got the "no decision yet, sit tight" email in early February, still waiting. This is killing meeee. I feel like all of my other interviews got back to me within a month, but maybe I just lucked out.
Interviewed same day and I’m in the same boat. Fingers crossed for answers sooner rather than later!

random question--is it true that accepted students here get a free iPad???

I think a lot of schools give iPads, but they are not necessarily free. They are just included in the tuition.

Interviewed same day and I’m in the same boat. Fingers crossed for answers sooner rather than later!
Did yours say "Waitlisted" even though it also said "you will find out by May if you are accepted, waitlisted, or rejected".. I interviewed December and got a waitlist email but it seemed like it wasn't really a waitlist?

Did yours say "Waitlisted" even though it also said "you will find out by May if you are accepted, waitlisted, or rejected".. I interviewed December and got a waitlist email but it seemed like it wasn't really a waitlist?
This is what mine also said (interviewed in December). It was confusing but I think the way they do it is there's a (small) chance we would be accepted before they come out with the WL rankings, which is why they say you'll find out in May. I think the vast majority of people that got that decision will hear about their rank on the WL in May. A few might get accepted before that point, and a few might get rejected

That’s just their regular you are waitlisted email

Interviewed early Nov, Got the WL email late Dec -> R just now. Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back!

• Sad