TOURO- CA vs KCUMB

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

letmein1992

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off, I am not yet accepted to Touro-CA. I interviewed late November and I was put on the high alternate list. Based on the previous threads, there is a chance that I may be accepted off of the waitlist. I am currently accepted to KCUMB, and will continue to pay to hold my seat just in case TOURO-CA accepts me.

If I were to be pulled off the waitlist, I would have to make a decision really quickly because KCUMB starts in late July, and I probably won't hear from TOURO until early July, so I want to be able to have a decision as soon as I hear back from TOURO.

I need some advice deciding between the two school (if im pulled off the waitlist).

I honestly would like KCUMB better. I got that good vibe when I visited the campus, their new curriculum sounded like it would really prepare me to do better on the boards. The tuition at KCU is also lower than the one in CA.

On the other hand, I didn't get a good vibe when I visited TOURO-CA. I didn't like the neighborhood, or the campus. I didn't really hear anything special about the campus. They also seemed to put a very high emphasis on OMM. By the time that I hear back from TOURO-CA, I would have put down $4000 to secure my seat at KCU, so that is also something that I need to take into consideration.

Based on this, I think I should attend KCU, but the only down side is that KCUMB is not in CA, while TOURO is. I am a CA resident, and I would definitely would want to come back to CA after medical school, and hope to practice in this state as well. I feel that TOURO-Ca would give me better chances of matching at a residency spot in CA. Right now, I am deciding between FM, Peds, or General Surgery.

If I do get accepted to TOURO-CA, do you think I should just suck it up for the next 4 years and just choose TOURO-CA to maximize my chances of matching in CA? I think I would be happier at KCU, but I'm worried that it might lower my changes of doing a residency in CA.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

You get to spend months on end in your fourth year to do elective and audition rotations anywhere you want. So you can travel to CA and do rotations here to match here.

I am from CA and am at KCU right now and am eyeing UC San Diego, UCLA Harbor, Cedars Sinai, and UC Irvine as places to do these elective rotations (and have seen KCU grads match to),

Moreover, it doesnt seem like youd be happy at Touro CA. So i would suggest KCU.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 2 users
You get to spend months on end in your fourth year to do elective and audition rotations anywhere you want. So you can travel to CA and do rotations here to match here.

I am from CA and am at KCU right now and am eyeing UC San Diego, UCLA Harbor, Cedars Sinai, and UC Irvine as places to do these elective rotations (and have seen KCU grads match to),

Moreover, it doesnt seem like youd be happy at Touro CA. So i would suggest KCU.

Thanks for your response! Is it difficult to arrange those rotations in California(is it competitive to get that opportunity)?

Members don't see this ad :)
This is easy: seafood and Napa wines vs barbeque!

First off, I am not yet accepted to Touro-CA. I interviewed late November and I was put on the high alternate list. Based on the previous threads, there is a chance that I may be accepted off of the waitlist. I am currently accepted to KCUMB, and will continue to pay to hold my seat just in case TOURO-CA accepts me.

If I were to be pulled off the waitlist, I would have to make a decision really quickly because KCUMB starts in late July, and I probably won't hear from TOURO until early July, so I want to be able to have a decision as soon as I hear back from TOURO.

I need some advice deciding between the two school (if im pulled off the waitlist).

I honestly would like KCUMB better. I got that good vibe when I visited the campus, their new curriculum sounded like it would really prepare me to do better on the boards. The tuition at KCU is also lower than the one in CA.

On the other hand, I didn't get a good vibe when I visited TOURO-CA. I didn't like the neighborhood, or the campus. I didn't really hear anything special about the campus. They also seemed to put a very high emphasis on OMM. By the time that I hear back from TOURO-CA, I would have put down $4000 to secure my seat at KCU, so that is also something that I need to take into consideration.

Based on this, I think I should attend KCU, but the only down side is that KCUMB is not in CA, while TOURO is. I am a CA resident, and I would definitely would want to come back to CA after medical school, and hope to practice in this state as well. I feel that TOURO-Ca would give me better chances of matching at a residency spot in CA. Right now, I am deciding between FM, Peds, or General Surgery.

If I do get accepted to TOURO-CA, do you think I should just suck it up for the next 4 years and just choose TOURO-CA to maximize my chances of matching in CA? I think I would be happier at KCU, but I'm worried that it might lower my changes of doing a residency in CA.

Reactions: 3 users
This is easy: seafood and Napa wines vs barbeque!

Hey Goro I figured I'd ask you here as opposed to starting another thread or PMing because I see you making these food comparisons a lot. I'm curious to know if this is actually how you feel students should pick their schools. Do you think that the differences between DO schools (except LUCOM as you always note) are so minimal that location and food are much better factors to base your decision on?

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for your response! Is it difficult to arrange those rotations in California(is it competitive to get that opportunity)?
Gladly!

I do no believe it's that difficult to set these up. It's all through a system called VSAS. I don't think I've ever heard of setting up these rotations as being difficult. Perhaps it's harder in specific programs such as ENT or General surgery at top tier places like Stanford, UCSF, and UCLA.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I interviewed and was accepted to both as well. I'm also a CA resident. I chose KCU. Got a way better feel at KCU and felt like I would be a lot more happier there. Hated the neighborhood and surrounding area of Touro-CA. I also shadowed a fm preceptor from Touro and I honestly hated my experience there. Also KCU would be a lot cheaper than Touro comparing both the tuition as well as living costs. I guess it helps that I currently go to undergrad in the south so I'm already used to living outside of California, but I still feel like KCU is a much better choice.

I feel obligated to reply to this since I'm a Touro-CA grad, but keep in mind that nearly half of our grads stay in California for residency. That's a pretty significant rate. KCUMB might have a handful of people matching in California each year. Now obviously this rate is affected by the overall class' interest in even going to/staying in CA for residency, but regional familiarity is a big factor in ACGME programs (most CA residencies are ACGME) selecting DO candidates. That's why Touro CA dominates as far as DO's in NorCal ACGME programs, and the same is true for Western in SoCal.

KCUMB is probably the more established school and makes the most sense as OP's selection with all the factors they mentioned but doesn't have the proven history of matching such a significant portion of their grads in CA.

Reactions: 2 users
I feel obligated to reply to this since I'm a Touro-CA grad, but keep in mind that nearly half of our grads stay in California for residency. That's a pretty significant rate. KCUMB might have a handful of people matching in California each year. Now obviously this rate is affected by the overall class' interest in even going to/staying in CA for residency, but regional familiarity is a big factor in ACGME programs (most CA residencies are ACGME) selecting DO candidates. That's why Touro CA dominates as far as DO's in NorCal ACGME programs, and the same is true for Western in SoCal.

KCUMB is probably the more established school and makes the most sense as OP's selection with all the factors they mentioned but doesn't have the proven history of matching such a significant portion of their grads in CA.

Oh without I doubt I agree with you that if staying in CA is the absolute top priority Touro-CA would make logical sense. Perhaps I should have worded it differently in that one should not feel they cannot get to a certain area for residency but def doing school in that area will give its advantages to that part.

Most grads at KCU end up dispersed throughout the midwest since a good proportion of students come from these regions. It does sound like OP would be uncomfortable being at Touro. @letmein1992 KCU will be great and I'm sure you heard it by the administrators and the ambassadors at KCU, be prepared to work harder than you ever have. They don't go easy on you here at all haha.

That's why Touro CA dominates as far as DO's in NorCal ACGME programs, and the same is true for Western in SoCal.

Is it relatively easy for TOURO students to match in to residencies in SoCal, or would it be the same as trying to match from Kansas? I am from SoCal, and while I would like to come back to CA, it was hoping to come back to SoCal.

How did you think that curriculum prepared you for the boards? I know that KCU puts a really strong emphasis on board prep, and they get more time off at the end of the second year to prep for Step1.

Also, I have heard that rotations are not great for TOURO. How was your experience with your rotation sites?

Is it relatively easy for TOURO students to match in to residencies in SoCal, or would it be the same as trying to match from Kansas? I am from SoCal, and while I would like to come back to CA, it was hoping to come back to SoCal.

How did you think that curriculum prepared you for the boards? I know that KCU puts a really strong emphasis on board prep, and they get more time off at the end of the second year to prep for Step1.

Also, I have heard that rotations are not great for TOURO. How was your experience with your rotation sites?

PM me, thanks.

I was accepted at both and picked Touro. I thought KCU was a great school, but that neighborhood wasn't any better than Vallejo. Fwiw you definitely don't have to live in Vallejo...I live in oakland for instance.

I've been happy with touro so far and the smaller class size has a great vibe. I t
believe the people here are what make this school, this includes classmates and faculty.

And for all the flak we get on sdn, our rotation sites are actually pretty legit. But at the end of the day KCU is a good school with higher average board scores, so they must be doing something right. As a part time HI/CA resident I need weather and ocean nearby, so it made my choice easy.

Touro will give u a serious leg up on staying in ca...but KCU is by no way going to shut that door entirely.

Touro has many available rotations at teaching hospitals, with numerous residencies. You rotate through doing rounds with residents, attendings, etc. We have some single preceptor sites but you're by no means relegated to those if you don't want them. We just added another hospital in san diego too. 98% of sites are in California with the bulk being in the Bay area and 3 or 4 sites in socal, and 1 in nyc.

Seems like everyone gets their top 1 or 2 pick too. I honestly don't get why people say touro sites aren't any good.