Tulane vs. UMiami Miller

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuronerd24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am fortunate enough to have acceptances at both Tulane and Miami, but I'm so torn between the schools! I'm from Miami, so I'm very familiar with the area surrounding the medical school. I have a pretty good grasp on the differences in location and price, but I feel a little under-informed otherwise since Tulane isn't ranked and therefore has no information on US News Report.

Are there any opinions about the schools otherwise? Thanks for your input!

Please note: I have read all the previous threads on this topic.

Members don't see this ad.

Any preferences for location? Both are in awesome cities. :hardy:

Any preferences for location? Both are in awesome cities. :hardy:

I also went to UM undergrad, so it's kinda a question of whether I'm looking for a change. I did visit New Orleans once (for my interview) and loved it, though!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wouldn't UMiami be better since you'll have family support and friends making the transition easier? Also ranking wise, it seems like UM would be better since Tulane isn't ranked right?

Reactions: 1 user
Wouldn't UMiami be better since you'll have family support and friends making the transition easier? Also ranking wise, it seems like UM would be better since Tulane isn't ranked right?

Tulane is only unranked because the school doesn't release its stats to US News. And yeah, being close to home will be good for transition but do I want to be stuck in Florida forever? When will I leave if I don't now? Residency?

I interviewed at both too.. Didnt like the md mph program at Miami and the md program doesn't seem to be caught up with curric changes. I much preferred Tulane

Tulane is only unranked because the school doesn't release its stats to US News. And yeah, being close to home will be good for transition but do I want to be stuck in Florida forever? When will I leave if I don't now? Residency?

I'm not from Florida but Florida seems like a good state to be in. It's like 75 degrees right now in Miami when every other city in America right now (except for Cali cities) are freezing their butts off. Also, no state taxes right?

Only bad thing would be that they have a lot of hurricanes..

Agreed.

Although Tulane is only unranked because it refused to release its info to USNWR. According to my interviewer at Tulane, before Katrina, Tulane was actually ranked really high (#6 on USNWR). Then, two things happened.

1. USNWR changed its med school ranking methodology

2. Katrina took out the labs or homes of prominent faculty at Tulane and making a lot of them relocate.

As a result, Tulane became ranked in the 50s. A year after that, the dean stopped releasing info to USNWR so it is unranked now.

I think you can throw rankings out. These schools are close. I loved Tulane and never thought I would. But I bet the costs will have a lot to say in where we go.

I think you can throw rankings out. These schools are close. I loved Tulane and never thought I would. But I bet the costs will have a lot to say in where we go.
Oh hey, I know you ;) it's interesting how we're in such similar situations too!

Yeah, I couldn't help but weigh in. I never enjoyed fellow interviewees like I did at Tulane. It was my first interview too. It's hard to imagine having a better time then we could there. But seeing you always wearing shorts in Miami makes me really love the weather. I'm sure I won't make a decision until the last second though.

Anyone else want to chime in? This decision is becoming more and more difficult as it seems these may be my options.

I'd recommend doing some searches of the Miami Herald regarding UM and Jackson before you decide.

I'd recommend doing some searches of the Miami Herald regarding UM and Jackson before you decide.

For what in particular, though? I'm from Miami and have heard a ton of pros and cons concerning Jackson :\

For what in particular, though? I'm from Miami and have heard a ton of pros and cons concerning Jackson :\

It's really surprising how little most people on this site know about the issues going on there (just check out the UM school-specific page and you'll see no mention). It's still a good school, but there are things you should consider regarding environment. It's not the fault of the applicants; information just flows differently once you're in school. JMH is still a great place to train and UM matches above its level every year, so those are obviously good things.

It's really surprising how little most people on this site know about the issues going on there (just check out the UM school-specific page and you'll see no mention). It's still a good school, but there are things you should consider regarding environment. It's not the fault of the applicants; information just flows differently once you're in school. JMH is still a great place to train and UM matches above its level every year, so those are obviously good things.

Do you know how it does in matches compared to Tulane? I'm having trouble acquiring much info about Tulane at all since it doesn't submit any information to US News.

Concerning Jackson, I am very aware of its struggles financially and administratively, but what do you mean "regarding environment"? Sorry for all the questions!

Do you know how it does in matches compared to Tulane? I'm having trouble acquiring much info about Tulane at all since it doesn't submit any information to US News.

Concerning Jackson, I am very aware of its struggles financially and administratively, but what do you mean "regarding environment"? Sorry for all the questions!
I am really excited about a lot of thing with UMMSM. If it was my instate school you can bet I would be attending without any hesitation.

Miami has SO many opportunities in public outreach. This is something I have always imagined myself doing in medschool though so I guess it just depends on what you are looking for. The DOCs program seems to be well established and gives a great opportunity to participate in all kinds of health fairs.

JMH may be flaudering financially but that should not have any bearing on our clinical experiences. Afterall we aren't paid during rotations, the exposure is what is important. From one of the MS4 students I have talked to Miami has one of the nation's highest incidences of HIV+ patients and sickle cell patients. This makes for some very interesting pathology and allows you to see things you would otherwise would never see.

I dont know anything about Tulane, but if you are from Miami I would say staying close to home where you could have some moral support could be a big help. I anticipate med school being a HUGE life adjustment. Miami is big enough that you could live somewhere away from family so you feel like you are out on your own. But dont downplay how much help it could be to go home and spend some time after a hard test or module. Just my $0.02.

JMH isn't the only thing floundering, and you're not going to hear about it at interview. To answer your question though, I've always been very impressed with their match lists considering it's a mid-level school. Very solid. http://admissions.med.miami.edu/md-programs/match-day-results. It's not courteous to discuss negative issues on this forum, but some searching of your own will shed light. Either way you are in a good position. Good luck!