U Michigan & UTSW & UCLA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Where should I go this fall?

• U Michigan

Votes: 10 16.9%
  • UTSW

Votes: 27 45.8%
  • UCLA

Votes: 22 37.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

longhorn09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So May 15th is approaching, can you guys give me some opinions on where should I go this fall?

I am TX resident, so I will pay in state tuition for UTSW, and OOS tuition for the other 2.

Thanks for your opinions!

PS: I will pay around 21000 for UCLA's tuition/fees after grant each year. And UCLA gives extra $5000 to every students for the first year.

For U Michigan, it's around $26000/year after grant. Will this difference be insignificant after considering the difference in living cost?

Members don't see this ad.

isnt instate utsw like 6K? no brainer there

Members don't see this ad :)
So May 15th is approaching, can you guys give me some opinions on where should I go this fall?

I am TX resident, so I will pay in state tuition for UTSW, and OOS tuition for the other 2.

Thanks for your opinions!

PS: I will pay around 21000 for UCLA's tuition/fees after grant each year. And UCLA gives extra $5000 to every students for the first year.

For U Michigan, it's around $26000/year after grant. Will this difference be insignificant after considering the difference in living cost?

I adore UMich obviously... but UTSW is a GREAT school - quality of education, reputation, cost is minimal for instate, close to family, warm weather, etc. so I don't know how you could really justify paying significantly more for an out of state medical school when UTSW is such a solid option.

TX or CA? You're asian... CA wins. lol

I adore UMich obviously... but UTSW is a GREAT school - quality of education, reputation, cost is minimal for instate, close to family, warm weather, etc. so I don't know how you could really justify paying significantly more for an out of state medical school when UTSW is such a solid option.

I agree with medat101!

What would make you choose UMich or UCLA over UTSW?

Thanks for you guys opinions!

If I am interested in competitive residency (surgery subspeciality), will the ranking of the school justify the higher tuition? Or it really doesnt matter that much as I think?

Thanks for you guys opinions!

If I am interested in competitive residency (surgery subspeciality), will the ranking of the school justify the higher tuition? Or it really doesnt matter that much as I think?

They are all Top 20 or Top 25 schools, I would guess it won't really matter.

isnt instate utsw like 6K? no brainer there
UTSW is around 14k when you consider tuition and fees, but thats still really cheap and living in Dallas is pretty cheap too.

UTSW is around 14k when you consider tuition and fees, but thats still really cheap and living in Dallas is pretty cheap too.
The UTSW price is really unbeatable. I get a ~8K/yr grant from it, which makes it even cheaper.

you sound like a very ambitious and capable person, so im confident you'll be a very successful and well-paid physician. you shouldnt be too concerned with the price and go where ever youd be happiest and motivated, and for most people that would be in the heart of Los Angeles

you sound like a very ambitious and capable person, so im confident you'll be a very successful and well-paid physician. you shouldnt be too concerned with the price and go where ever youd be happiest and motivated, and for most people that would be in the heart of Los Angeles

Pfffffffffffff

And how easy is it to switch to California Residency for tuition purpose?

And how easy is it to switch to California Residency for tuition purpose?

If I remember from undergrad...getting residency in California is a huge pain in the butt. Obviously because their public universities are so awesome they make you work hard to get residency. From what I remember, its minimum of 2 years, and you have to earn something along the lines of 40-50k a year.

If I remember from undergrad...getting residency in California is a huge pain in the butt. Obviously because their public universities are so awesome they make you work hard to get residency. From what I remember, its minimum of 2 years, and you have to earn something along the lines of 40-50k a year.

I remember it being not too bad. 1 year I think? So OOSers at Cali schools get in-state tuition after one year.

Oh really? You're probably right, it was a long time ago for me, and they very likely could have changed their policies by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.