University of Oklahoma 2013?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha, thanks for the EDIT updates Phange! I think I heard that the 'Second Look' day is this coming Friday/weekend followed quickly by the 'no deposit refund here on out' milestone. Hopefully we'll see an increase in the off waitlist numbers soon! You guys are the only ones keeping me sane about this ... :)

Members don't see this ad.

What the heck is "Second Look Day"?

What the heck is "Second Look Day"?

This is the day everyone with acceptances can go back to OU for more information, tours, etc. Basically it's a 'razzle dazzle' show for OU to sell their program more. Dr. Baker even mentioned it in her morning presentation the day of my interview (Jan 14). Originally it was scheduled for the end of March, but I think I read in an earlier post (on this forum or maybe the Facebook page) that it was pushed back to May 9th. Someone commented that a few schools have graduations that day so they thought it was weird OU would reschedule it so much later.

That's about all the info I know!

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh. Well, here's to hoping that the Flaming Lips foofaraw scares em all away.

I just dropped in to see how everything was going for you guys. Congrats to all of the accepted students, and I hope the waitlist is kind to all of you waitlisted students. Keep your spirits up, May 15 is rapidly approaching, so there should be a boost in WL movement soon.

Second look day is pretty cool, because you get to meet some of your future peers/colleagues. Last year, they had us sit in the lecture hall for quite a while as they talked up OU. They also did a mini-lecture with a couple of the professors. Then they took us on a tour of some of the hotspots on campus. If you interviewed in October or November, it's worth going just to see the new Clinical Skills Education Training Center. The renovations weren't complete yet at that time, and it is really amazing. I encourage you to go.

EDIT: I think last year, they also had a rack of white coats to try on to get your size, but ours was later than it is this year so I don't know if they will be doing this again.

Also, as an aside, if you go, take a moment to thank the students who have volunteered their time to help out with this. I know this should be obvious, and I'm not trying to sound condescending; however, next week is our last Test Block of the year, and these students are giving up a morning of study time to help out with this. I know you don't understand the significance of them giving up this precious time yet, but you will next year. (Just so you know, I'm NOT helping with it, so I'm not trying to be a stuck up a**. To sacrifice their time the weekend before TB really is a big deal.)

Thanks as usual for the love PMM, and hope your tests are going well :D

Couple random questions, all with the optimistic view that I get a BRE -

1) For previous WLers, did you get the BRE in May still, or was it June?

2) When you get one, how soon do you have to send it back? My arrogant self thought I'd be in by now, and I had 20 paid vacay days at my job, so I planned a month off backpacking in Europe. Now that I'm on the ropes and still don't have a BRE, it seems pretty stupid huh? Anyway, I'm worried that on the off chance I get one, it shows up after June 2, when I leave...

Last edited:
Couple random questions, all with the optimistic view that I get a BRE -

1) For previous WLers, did you get the BRE in May still, or was it June?

2) When you get one, how soon do you have to send it back? My arrogant self thought I'd be in by now, and I had 20 paid vacay days at my job, so I planned a month off backpacking in Europe. Now that I'm on the ropes and still don't have a BRE, it seems pretty stupid huh? Anyway, I'm worried that on the off chance I get one, it shows up after June 2, when I leave...
They were mailed in May, June, and even some well into July last year.

I got a letter from OU financial aid office, wanting me to send a copy of my SSN and my Birth certificate for scholarship award, but I have not heard from OU admission office yet, so should I read between the line that I am accepted? Does anyone know?
Thanks

I got a letter from OU financial aid office, wanting me to send a copy of my SSN and my Birth certificate for scholarship award, but I have not heard from OU admission office yet, so should I read between the line that I am accepted? Does anyone know?
Thanks

That might be worth a phone call to the admissions office.

Welp, it's May 15.

That might be worth a phone call to the admissions office.

Yeah, I emailed admission office, but they can't give out that information through email. However, they told me that a letter has been sent out to me... Is it good? I hope it is!

Yeah, I emailed admission office, but they can't give out that information through email. However, they told me that a letter has been sent out to me... Is it good? I hope it is!

Considering the only letter they'd send out right now is an acceptance letter and they wanted your information for scholarship stuff, I would bet the farm that you are accepted! Congrats! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
For everyone that have received their scholarship information, have you heard about the loans available or just the scholarship awards?

Got the letter yesterday, accepted! I was on the out of state waitlist.

For everyone that have received their scholarship information, have you heard about the loans available or just the scholarship awards?

I think most people have only heard about financial aid (aka loans). I got my letter last week. Haven't heard of anyone receiving scholarship info.

Thanks. I've only heard about the scholarship awards so far. I was hoping to get info on my loan qualifications.

I spoke with OUHSC today and they said that the loan letters were supposed to be mailed out April 30th (many people didn't receive theirs so I would call them if you have not). Letters regarding scholarships were mailed out around May 10 (many people didn't receive these either)

Well, "post-deadline" letters are now going out... either they started last Saturday or today. Hopefully I'm getting one of them.

I have not yet received my loan package (FAFSA was completed in Feb), but I did receive a scholarship notification today that was dated 5/13. My mail is a bit screwed up right now because of a change of address and forwarding. I am thinking that anyone that received a scholarship would get their loan package later because that has to be factored into the total out-of-pocket cost? Anyone else out there get a scholarship letter but no loan letter yet?

I received a loan letter but no letter about scholarships. I hope my scholarship letter is just running a little slow, because that loan letter put me in a pretty sad mood.

I received a loan letter but no letter about scholarships. I hope my scholarship letter is just running a little slow, because that loan letter put me in a pretty sad mood.

haha, I felt the same way. I spoke with James Albertson (the guy in charge of the scholarship stuff) and he said they were running behind due to the class of 2009 commencement (which I thought was a pretty ridiculous excuse because a class is graduating every year.. lol) So I'm not really sure there is much rhyme or reason as to when all these packages are being mailed out

Any BREs lately?! I mean, I wasn't expecting a deluge, but I was expecting more than just the sound of crickets here post-May 15. How depressing.

How much in scholarships do they give out and what kind (merit, need)?

Any BREs lately?! I mean, I wasn't expecting a deluge, but I was expecting more than just the sound of crickets here post-May 15. How depressing.

Tell me bout it. And I have no way to judge what's up. Normally when I get mail from OK 2 days after sending, so I was thinking a BRE sent Monday would have come yesterday. Came home looking, hoping, and just got an insurance bill. Downed a bottle of Seagrams actually :oops:

Come on OU...give us a sign at least.

LOL! Oh, I know, right?! I was thinking surely yesterday was going to be THE day, for the same reasons you were. My heart just sank when the mailbox only had a notice from Capital One informing me my interest rate was going up to like 18.79%. I, too, drank a few too many IPA's to stave off catatonic depression. :oops:

Judging from what the accepted people are saying, it sounds like the school's got some serious backlog problems with letters going out. I'd assume that means they're not exactly going to immediately send BRE's just a few days after people missed the deadline.

Whatever the case, another day another empty mailbox. Oh well, it's still May. Confidence is dropping, but there's still a chance I suppose.

Just got the scholarship letter. So I've now received both the scholarship and loan letters.

I received mine today, but it doesn't factor in the scholarship I received notification about, go figure. Now I am trying to figure out how much I can shave off of the COA. I really don't want to take any 8.5% grad plus loans out.

Good luck to all the wait list folks. Hopefully you will find your mailbox bursting with red soon...

How much in scholarships do they give out and what kind (merit, need)?

I think the scholarships are given out based on merit. I don't remember there being anything about need on the scholarship application.

Gotta say, I'm quickly reaching that point where I can't kid myself anymore. It's been a full week since that May 15th deadline, and still nothing in the mail today. 3 months of that slow burn on the waitlist, only to get absolutely **** all. Can't be angry at all, tbh. There are many better candidates out there. I guess it's just more resignation.

Gotta say, I'm quickly reaching that point where I can't kid myself anymore. It's been a full week since that May 15th deadline, and still nothing in the mail today. 3 months of that slow burn on the waitlist, only to get absolutely **** all. Can't be angry at all, tbh. There are many better candidates out there. I guess it's just more resignation.

I know the feeling; it's really starting to eat at me now. Come June 1st, I'll be resigning myself to having to attend an OOS D.O. school, which I guess is better than nothing, but not exactly what I wanted. The economy is fairly good in Oklahoma in the middle of this recession, and I have a working spouse who has a great job here, so that just amplifies the pain of moving. But I really don't think I should throw that offer down the tubes and reapply at OU, because the process is just too painful and there are too many intangibles about gaining acceptance that are out of my control. I could be in this same position next year, except kicking myself.
28 off the WL so far...movement is tracking last years numbers fairly closely.

I'd imagine that the 28 off the waitlist includes the "scramble" list? I.e., all the people that got in after people made their May 15th decision? Because if 28 are already off..shoot, that means I wasn't even in the top 1/2 of the waitlist. And if it's closed to last year, there'll only be 10-15 more people taken anyway.

Dunno if anyone was grasping the straws that maybe there could be a backlog of BREs, but I talked to Dotty this morning and she said there was no such thing. "All letters have been mailed", to quote her directly. So I'd feel pretty safe in saying that the so-called "May 15th" letters are all where they're supposed to be. Anything from here on out will just be those 10-15 more that are out there, from now till end of July.

Just echoing what yall have said ... my June 1 deadline to start making plans to move forward w/o OU is about here. I didn't see anything on last year's waitlist thread that referred to so many of the people on the top half of the waitlist being:
1. out of state
or
2. in state and re-applicants

I don't think I've seen one post this time around about anyone who has gotten off the list as an in state non-re-applicant!

Well, lesson learned. OU doesn't care at all if you've made straight A's in graduate school, almost finished a Master's of Public Health, devoted months to community service, scored well on the MCAT, expressed sincere interest in the School of Community Medicine program, etc.
All they care about is GPA/MCAT in the first application cycle. Beyond that, you're just a name and a number. All that and I'm a third-time applicant.

Next year I'm applying to many other schools. I bet they only put me on the wait list because it was third application. How cruel. I've followed every single piece of advice from every workshop I attended, and it has landed me with nothing but a cold shoulder.

You'd think an MPH alone and interviewers commenting on my knowledge of health care would give me an edge. Especially since I aced Biostatistics and Epidemiology, two classes med students are notoriously poor at.

Oh well, you lost out OU. You lost out, Oklahoma. I wanted nothing more than to be a public health-focused primary care physician, but if you've decided faux-prestige is more important than the health of the state, then that's your business.

No wonder we rank 50th out of 50 in the Commonwealth Fund's state rankings in health care.

Well, lesson learned. OU doesn't care at all if you've made straight A's in graduate school, almost finished a Master's of Public Health, devoted months to community service, scored well on the MCAT, expressed sincere interest in the School of Community Medicine program, etc.
All they care about is GPA/MCAT in the first application cycle. Beyond that, you're just a name and a number. All that and I'm a third-time applicant.

Next year I'm applying to many other schools. I bet they only put me on the wait list because it was third application. How cruel. I've followed every single piece of advice from every workshop I attended, and it has landed me with nothing but a cold shoulder.

You'd think an MPH alone and interviewers commenting on my knowledge of health care would give me an edge. Especially since I aced Biostatistics and Epidemiology, two classes med students are notoriously poor at.

Oh well, you lost out OU. You lost out, Oklahoma. I wanted nothing more than to be a public health-focused primary care physician, but if you've decided faux-prestige is more important than the health of the state, then that's your business.

No wonder we rank 50th out of 50 in the Commonwealth Fund's state rankings in health care.

Dude(tte) I know you're just venting and everything, but did you at least apply to OSU too if you really wanted to be a physician in Oklahoma? You said this is your third time around. I would have hoped that you applied broadly after the first go at it.

As far as acing Biostats and Epidemiology, those really don't have much to do with being a physician.

Yeah, I feel the pain, but could not agree with you completely...

I don't want to be rude because I know if I were on the waitlist I would be clinging to hope and upset too. But the ego that comes through your posts is out of control. Maybe they saw that in your interview. Afterall, it is your interview that gets you accepted into med school. Maybe if you approached the process with a humble heart rather than a diva you would have been successful.

Better luck next time Phange.:xf:

You all missed the point. I wasn't bragging. Everything I listed is what they recommended I do through three straight workshops. The point of my post is to tell you this:

They don't care. They're BSing you. The only two things that matter to them are GPA and MCAT. End of story.

I guess what I'm trying to say is this: you can do every single thing they ask you to do, and still not get in. You can even take it one step further and get a graduate degree in a subject of vital importance, and you're still treated like a name and a number.

Believe me, I'm not arrogant. Anything but. I've been humbled after being rejected three straight times. More than anything, I'm just mad at how OU played with me. If there's something about me that isn't worth accepting, I'd rather them tell me up-front so I don't waste my time and money. In my experiences with OSU, they go out of their way to let you know if you're truly acceptable.

I understand that getting into medical school is a "game" but I find it near-shameful that it has to be so blatant in a state that has such a serious health care problem.

Last edited:
I know it must be frustrating to go through the ordeal three times. I also know my husband was accepted after applying this year for the first time with slightly below average scores on both his GPA and MCAT. What he did have was a ton of activities, research, and clinical job experience. My point is they do accept based on factors other than GPA and MCAT scores and from our experience do care. So maybe instead of focusing on strictly academic achievments you focus on getting more hands on, clinical experience for your next round of applications. Good Luck!

I don't think I've seen one post this time around about anyone who has gotten off the list as an in state non-re-applicant!

This is what I'm so surprised at. I know everyone applying to OU isn't on this site, but all I'm reading about is out-of-staters getting in, and re-app in-staters. It seems that the waitlist is cruelest to someone who's just a first time in-stater.

I don't mean to be rude, but shouldn't a state sponsored school have some obligation to it's own people before they go accepting out of staters? Especially if those other states have large chain systems of medical schools? I mean damn, I pay OK taxes right?

To those of us poor sods still waiting on the list, if it goes like last year there's still maybe 13 or so seats available. So at least keep a small glimmer of hope. I have none myself - I have to go to Europe for a month for my job, but as soon as I get back I'm cracking open those MCAT books and giving it another go. FML.

I know that it is frustrating, but remember that all of us in-state reapplicants were going through the exact same thing last summer. It sucks to have to do everything over again, but getting ready for next application cycle will help the summer go by faster. Trust me, I know from experience.

Thanks StephO.

I gotta question. My MCAT is from August 2006. Is that now expired - i.e. I can't use it anymore because it's 3 years old? I'm kinda screwed - I can't start studying for the MCAT till July, and OU wants a score posted by September 1st. Heck, even if it isn't expired, they did explicitly say a new MCAT is nice.

What should I do....

I would definitely retake the MCAT. That is one point that was repeated numerous times throughout the reapplication workshop. I only increased my total score by two points. It only increased my average by 0.66, but it increased my school score tremendously when they plugged it into their formula. You don't have to go from a 24 to 30 for them to take notice...just make a small improvement. Also, try to fit in upper division sciences if possible. Or, volunteer/work for a hospital or other healthcare organization if you haven't done so. They just want to see something DIFFERENT when looking at next year's application. Don't forget that OU keeps this year's application and compares it to next year's (LOR's, grades, extracurriculars, work, etc.) My reviewer stated, "I do not want to see a cut-and-paste application". In the end, they are looking for ways to keep you out of medical school, not to let you in.

I forget to mention......buy a box of flashcards. They can help you get in some study time before you can hit it hard later in the summer.

Yeah, this Europe stuff is killing my schedule. I have to go on a work related trip, will have little to no time studying for 1 month. I plan on downloading Audio Osmosis and taking 1 ExamKracker subject book with me, probably Orgo or Physics. I'll absorb as much of that as I can, then try to crack the books when I get back.

I'm hoping I can take a later MCAT, end of August or so, and still get OU to take it when they calculate my interview score. If I have to take a late July test to get the score posted by September, I will not do as good as I did last time (30Q), and that will be bad.

In regards to your other suggestions, I'm pretty much doing those things. I work at a hospital, do clinical research on sickle cell, interact with patients, and take upper level science at night. I'll just continue that, update my PS, and pray.

Status
Not open for further replies.