2019-2020 Oklahoma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not to come off as boastful, but my stats are higher than some people who were accepted, and I was waitlisted. I have thousands of hours of clinical experience and volunteering, so my ECs are not lacking either imo. So I’m frustrated because I can only imagine the interview itself was what may have hampered my chances. I wasn’t nervous. I had an answer for every question. For whatever reason something didn’t go well.

I feel you, all I can say is hang in there. The admissions committee isn't perfect. I had a pretty stellar application and interviewed well; I got waitlisted my first year before they let me know in July that the waitlist wasn't going to make it down to me that year. Improved my application and interviewed well again the next year, when I was once again waitlisted. Finally got in at the beginning of May. I then used the bitterness from being treated like a sack of poop by the admissions committee as fuel to motivate my performance, ended up crushing Step 1, getting into AOA, and now doing well a couple years in at a top residency program in my specialty. All that to say, don't let the admissions committee's decisions get you down. Keep grinding and waiting for the opportunity to come. If you keep doing the right stuff, the opportunity will come, and then it's up to you to be ready to make the most of it. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
I feel you, all I can say is hang in there. The admissions committee isn't perfect. I had a pretty stellar application and interviewed well; I got waitlisted my first year before they let me know in July that the waitlist wasn't going to make it down to me that year. Improved my application and interviewed well again the next year, when I was once again waitlisted. Finally got in at the beginning of May. I then used the bitterness from being treated like a sack of poop by the admissions committee as fuel to motivate my performance, ended up crushing Step 1, getting into AOA, and now doing well a couple years in at a top residency program in my specialty. All that to say, don't let the admissions committee's decisions get you down. Keep grinding and waiting for the opportunity to come. If you keep doing the right stuff, the opportunity will come, and then it's up to you to be ready to make the most of it. Good luck!

I appreciate this so much. That’s badass that you used your past failures to become better.

Hey y'all, I accepted a spot at OU SCM, so there will probably be a spot open in OKC. I imagine this might be why there's some waitlist movement already, as some people might be holding acceptances in OKC and Tulsa.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey y'all, I accepted a spot at OU SCM, so there will probably be a spot open in OKC. I imagine this might be why there's some waitlist movement already, as some people might be holding acceptances in OKC and Tulsa.
Good luck in Tulsa!

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone received the official letter of acceptance in the mail for the last round of admissions?

There was one earlier about the Facebook group for the class of 2024. Yesterday, there was an email about the OUHSC email account set up.

FAFSA received email on the OUHSC email. Hopefully this means we will find out about financial aid soon.

When did you file it?
Back in the fall sometime when FAFSA first opened. October 1 maybe? I had it sent to the schools I’d be likely to attend even before I had an acceptance.

Awarded a merit scholarship! Idk how with my low stats but I’m not complaining

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
Awarded a merit scholarship! Idk how with my low stats but I’m not complaining
Congrats! Was there a separate application for scholarships? (asking because I'm worried I missed it)

Congrats! Was there a separate application for scholarships? (asking because I'm worried I missed it)
thank you! No you haven’t missed it. The merit scholarship is in addition to the traditional scholarships for which we apply. This process sounds like it will be open soon based on the wording in my letter. Hope this helps and good luck!

Accepted students: I've accepted the offer and initiated my Certiphi background check. Is there anything else I need to/should be doing at this point? Thanks!

Accepted students: I've accepted the offer and initiated my Certiphi background check. Is there anything else I need to/should be doing at this point? Thanks!
Join the FB group?

Besides background check and FASFA. I have set up my OUHSC email, completed my sexual misconduct training and the security firewall training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Guys,
Do you think they still run the interview? when is the last day of the interview?

So does anyone have a guess on when we will possibly hear about financial aid??

If there are any applicants for the coming application cycle reading this thread and want a layout of OU's interview process, I've typed out a detailed explanation. PM me if you'd like to read it.

Can I get an opinion from someone? I had my re-app. workshop and spoke with my board member. They told me my interview was strong (even said “my interviewers loved me” and that my personal statement and experiences were great. The only thing I was told was to improve was my MCAT score. My LM score is a 63 and my mcat is not out of acceptable range. So I’m confused because I was told that if I got an interview it meant my stats were good enough and if I did well (which I was told I did) then I would be accepted.

I had a similar LM score last year and was also told what you were told. That sounds very frustrating and not super helpful from the member.

My only guess was there were people who interviewed well and had a slightly better MCAT score? It’s hard to tell and I wish they were more clear with you. Sorry that was not helpful- maybe you can contact them again for clarification?

If there are any applicants for the coming application cycle reading this thread and want a layout of OU's interview process, I've typed out a detailed explanation. PM me if you'd like to read it.

Pm it won’t let me!

Hello,
Please let me know
Thanks

Does anyone know if OU gives need-based aid? I did not so I contacted OUHSC about it and they said to contact the COM. But the COM financial page all leads to OUHSC

Does anyone know if OU gives need-based aid? I did not so I contacted OUHSC about it and they said to contact the COM. But the COM financial page all leads to OUHSC

Their MSAR page only mentions scholarships and loan programs. Didn't see anything about need-based aid.

The third part of the scholarships application seems to address need-based situiations.

It sounds like the Sooner Heritage Scholarship is more need-based. (It's mentioned at the end of the email from Financial Aid sent to OU email addresses on 4/7.)

This was fun today! I’m so excited for August!!!

Reactions: 4 users
Yup. The 2nd look day was this past Saturday via Zoom. Are you in-state or out-of-state? While attending a medical school is a huge investment, OU’s coa is comparatively reasonable. There is a bunch of schools that charge an arm and a leg (Colorado, AZCOM, etc.)

Yes, they did. was it not the same? Are you out of state?
Yup. The 2nd look day was this past Saturday via Zoom. Are you in-state or out-of-state? While attending a medical school is a huge investment, OU’s coa is comparatively reasonable. There is a bunch of schools that charge an arm and a leg (Colorado, AZCOM, etc.)
I’m in state. I think just seeing the actual numbers freaked me out a bit.

I’m in state. I think just seeing the actual numbers freaked me out a bit.

Maybe this would help a little...

Would any admitted students be willing to share OU commit to enroll deadline date?