2019-2020 Oklahoma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Waitlisted. Very surprised actually....Hopefully there’s movement off the waitlist before April.

Members don't see this ad.

Rejected this morning. It sucks, but at least I’m already in somewhere.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How far down the list does OU typically go?
As far as numbers of individuals go, I am not sure. However, I know someone who was accepted off of the waitlist after already starting school at OSU, which would be early August, so anything and anytime is possible.

Past years have had at least 30 taken off the waitlist, with the waitlist moving mostly in May-July. One year had 50. Its a crapshoot so just hope youre in the first half and maybe RSVP for that reapplicant workshop. Good luck to everyone.

Waitlisted with 509/3.93.

The oldest MCAT OU accepted for this cycle was January 2017. Going off of that, I can deduce that they would accept an April 2018 test for the 2020-2021 cycle. Would that be correct? I do NOT want to go through that again.

Past years have had at least 30 taken off the waitlist, with the waitlist moving mostly in May-July. One year had 50. Its a crapshoot so just hope youre in the first half and maybe RSVP for that reapplicant workshop. Good luck to everyone.

Waitlisted with 509/3.93.
Ugh. I feel like this time frame majorly screws me over. I have an acceptance elsewhere but was really wanting to come home. The other school also starts in July. This sucks lol

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Accepted. IS, reapplicant. LM 62.7
I don't mind sharing stats if anyone's curious.

Reactions: 3 users
You're invited to my new group 'OU Med Waitlist' on GroupMe. Click here to join: GroupMe

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to hear about those of you waitlisted/rejected but congrats to those of you accepted!

Wish you all the best of luck in the future. And waitlist peeps, don’t give up hope!

Surprised to hear so many waitlists and rejections, honestly.
Are most of you OOS? Seem to be several good LM scores

Im going to state the obvious here. Post-interview acceptance vs rejection are based not only on statistics. That’s why there is an interview. Say you have a 509 MCAT and a 3.8 GPA, someone with a 506 and 3.5 may be more desirable if they have more compelling experiences...

No I understand that. As someone who was on the lower side stats-wise, I truly do.

Just surprised since last year there seemed to be more accepted than not this time of year. But each year is different, I suppose!

Is there a reason that they don’t allow people to know where they are on the waitlist? Like what is the harm in knowing?

Is there a reason that they don’t allow people to know where they are on the waitlist? Like what is the harm in knowing?

I guess at the end of the day you just gotta trust the process.

i hear schools are being more conservative with acceptances and using the waitlist option more because of the new "choose your medical school tool" from aamc

Im going to state the obvious here. Post-interview acceptance vs rejection are based not only on statistics. That’s why there is an interview. Say you have a 509 MCAT and a 3.8 GPA, someone with a 506 and 3.5 may be more desirable if they have more compelling experiences...
Reiterating this ^^

They won't interview someone who doesn't have a chance. Even if your stats are low, your interview can be the deciding factor.

Rejection sucks. I know what it's like - I was there last year.
I HIGHLY recommend going to the re-applicant workshop. They will give you a rundown of the stats, then you'll get a chance to meet with someone 1-on-1 to review your application, and they try to pair you with one of your interviewers. I'm pretty sure (maybe I heard wrong but) that they said there hasn't been one person who went to the workshop and did what they said to do who didn't get in the next cycle. So if you're re-applying, doing what they advise is SO helpful. I also recommend writing down their interview questions and other similar questions that they could possibly ask, practice, and have your answers ready. For me, that was the main difference between last year and this year.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask here or PM me.
Good luck y'all. If they interviewed you, they think you have a chance. Don't let their decision today discourage you :)

Reactions: 4 users
Not to come off as boastful, but my stats are higher than some people who were accepted, and I was waitlisted. I have thousands of hours of clinical experience and volunteering, so my ECs are not lacking either imo. So I’m frustrated because I can only imagine the interview itself was what may have hampered my chances. I wasn’t nervous. I had an answer for every question. For whatever reason something didn’t go well.

Reiterating this ^^

They won't interview someone who doesn't have a chance. Even if your stats are low, your interview can be the deciding factor.

Rejection sucks. I know what it's like - I was there last year.
I HIGHLY recommend going to the re-applicant workshop. They will give you a rundown of the stats, then you'll get a chance to meet with someone 1-on-1 to review your application, and they try to pair you with one of your interviewers. I'm pretty sure (maybe I heard wrong but) that they said there hasn't been one person who went to the workshop and did what they said to do who didn't get in the next cycle. So if you're re-applying, doing what they advise is SO helpful. I also recommend writing down their interview questions and other similar questions that they could possibly ask, practice, and have your answers ready. For me, that was the main difference between last year and this year.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask here or PM me.
Good luck y'all. If they interviewed you, they think you have a chance. Don't let their decision today discourage you :)

I second this. I'm a re-applicant as well. I found that the Re-applicant Workshop was very helpful -- I got in after following the advice from that very carefully as well as doing some retrospection on how to improve my application. Speaking of which, if any of y'all are in Oklahoma and looking for clinical experience, I would highly recommend volunteering at Manos Juntas, a free clinic in OKC. I don’t know if it’s correlation or causation, but we've had a lot of volunteers get accepted to OU and I think volunteering there played a big role in improving my application. Either way, it's a great unique experience and we’re always looking for more help!

Reactions: 3 users
I second this. I'm a re-applicant as well. I found that the Re-applicant Workshop was very helpful -- I got in after following the advice from that very carefully as well as doing some retrospection on how to improve my application. Speaking of which, if any of y'all are in Oklahoma and looking for clinical experience, I would highly recommend volunteering at Manos Juntas, a free clinic in OKC. I don’t know if it’s correlation or causation, but we've had a lot of volunteers get accepted to OU and I think volunteering there played a big role in improving my application. Either way, it's a great unique experience and we’re always looking for more help!

This makes me feel better. It’s hard to not pin your self-worth and happiness on something you spend so much of your life on. But for some reason reading this puts me at ease and makes assures me that everything will work out in the end.

Reactions: 2 users
For those of you who got waitlisted, that is certainly a difficult situation and I would not wish that on anyone due to the uncertainty involved. But please remember that you have A CHANCE of getting accepted post-interview. I got rejected and therefore will have to reapply no matter what happens.

Hope that puts some of you at ease. I would much rather be in your position.

For those of you who got waitlisted, that is certainly a difficult situation and I would not wish that on anyone due to the uncertainty involved. But please remember that you have A CHANCE of getting accepted post-interview. I got rejected and therefore will have to reapply no matter what happens.

Hope that puts some of you at ease. I would much rather be in your position.
Its bittersweet, because they wouldve rejected us if they didnt want us st their program... and now we have to wait and can't really plan anything in the future. So idk how I feel about it

Bulk of waitlist movement will occur in May after the April 30 deadline to select school to attend
Is it a deadline or does the “tool” to select the school open on the 30th and you have school-dependent deadlines?

Just something to forward to:

Attachments

• BE86EA6D-20E5-43CB-B955-C959CFC006E2.jpeg
    BE86EA6D-20E5-43CB-B955-C959CFC006E2.jpeg
    98.7 KB · Views: 144
Hey guys, are there any current MS1-MS2 reading this thread and could answer a few questions? Can you PM me?