Wayne State vs. Western Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wayne State vs. Western Michigan

• WSU

Votes: 33 67.3%
  • Wmed

Votes: 16 32.7%

• Total voters

btb93med

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have been accepted to both of these schools and I'm having trouble deciding between them. It seems like Wayne is the better option in terms of research, clinical experience, and reputation. However, I felt much more welcome at Western and it seemed like a school where I'd fit in better, not to mention it's a little bit less expensive (I'm OOS at Wayne). The costs of attendance isn't such a big deal because fortunately I have solid financial support and I will very likely graduate without debt at either one, so don't let that be the deal breaker. I also liked the curriculum better at Western and I liked the small class size and potential for personal attention. Though I would actually prefer to live in Detroit because it seems like there'd be more to do outside of school. Right now I'm leaning toward Wayne purely because of reputation and seemingly better residency placement.

Is there anything big that I'm missing in my considerations? What are your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I have been accepted to both of these schools and I'm having trouble deciding between them. It seems like Wayne is the better option in terms of research, clinical experience, and reputation. However, I felt much more welcome at Western and it seemed like a school where I'd fit in better, not to mention it's a little bit less expensive (I'm OOS at Wayne). The costs of attendance isn't such a big deal because fortunately I have solid financial support and I will very likely graduate without debt at either one, so don't let that be the deal breaker. I also liked the curriculum better at Western and I liked the small class size and potential for personal attention. Though I would actually prefer to live in Detroit because it seems like there'd be more to do outside of school. Right now I'm leaning toward Wayne purely because of reputation and seemingly better residency placement.

Is there anything big that I'm missing in my considerations? What are your thoughts?
Western is in the west part of Michigan, considered the "bible belt" part of Michigan, and a very homogeneous population (aka White).
If you are non-Christian or non-white, may not be as friendly as Detroit.

I would probably go with Wayne. I'm kind of skeptical of the new curriculums, such as WMed or MSU's new curriculum. I'm in-state and deciding b/t WMed, MSU, Wayne, and OUWB, and I am leaning towards Wayne unless I get a hefty merit scholarship from OUWB.

Members don't see this ad :)
I knew someone who went to Wayne and really liked it,

ended up matching to Pitt for gen surg

Wayne Pros:
- Has actually graduated MDs
- Excellent clinical exposure in Detroit
- Wayne is a research institution; research opportunities won't be hard to find.
- Detroit >> Kalamazoo

Western Pros:
- Near Grand Rapids (GR > Detroit >> Kalamazoo)
- Slightly cheaper

I think the answer is clear.

Wayne Pros:
- Has actually graduated MDs
- Excellent clinical exposure in Detroit
- Wayne is a research institution; research opportunities won't be hard to find.
- Detroit >> Kalamazoo

Western Pros:
- Near Grand Rapids (GR > Detroit >> Kalamazoo)
- Slightly cheaper

I think the answer is clear.

I think you answered me in that other thread, and I liked your graduated MD comment haha.

Alright, this is pretty much what I had in mind but I thought I'd get as many opinions as I could. Thanks guys!

Current student at WMed. I hate it here. Go to Wayne. Just like someone said above, Wayne has graduated medical students. Western is a new medical school and its students are struggling because of a ****ty curriculum. Each course has an average of 8 out of 60 students failing. I could go on and on to describe how ****ty the school is, but I'll make it easier on you and just tell you that you'll be better off at any other school besides Western.

Current student at WMed. I hate it here. Go to Wayne. Just like someone said above, Wayne has graduated medical students. Western is a new medical school and its students are struggling because of a ****ty curriculum. Each course has an average of 8 out of 60 students failing. I could go on and on to describe how ****ty the school is, but I'll make it easier on you and just tell you that you'll be better off at any other school besides Western.

Woah... glad I got waitlisted there now

I would actually like to know more of your reasoning if you don't mind/have the time

Reactions: 1 users