William Carey University - College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
At first glance a prospective applicant might see that 29 and become worried that nearly a third of the seats are taken. However at this stage of the game that's still a pretty slim number of seats offered. Many other schools have already switched over to waitlisting. I think even though WCU is very expedient, they're still having to play catchup since they weren't able to start interviewing until so late.
Plus, there's no real way of knowing how many of those 29 will be sending in deposits. Still very early in the game.

Members don't see this ad.

29 of 108 offers of admissions (8 more than the 100 seats) is only 26% - and that presumes a worst case scenario that all 29 accept. Most schools are two-thirds full already.

My belief is that 1/3 of the applicant pool that applies early gets 2/3 of the seats. The remaining 2/3 of the applicant pool scrambles as late in the game applicants for the remaining 1/3 of the seats. WCU is the exception this year because of the late Semptember start in receiving applications.

So, keep the faith and keep praying. Three quarters of the seats are still open. WCU will interview a lot in January and February and likely the class will be full by March.

I hope all of you have/had a Merry Christmas &/or a Happy Holidays

Members don't see this ad :)
My belief is that 1/3 of the applicant pool that applies early gets 2/3 of the seats. The remaining 2/3 of the applicant pool scrambles as late in the game applicants for the remaining 1/3 of the seats. WCU is the exception this year because of the late Semptember start in receiving applications.

That's a likely scenario. God bless those last minute applicants. A rejection letter from UMC is sometimes all the extra push they need to get in their secondary.

That's a likely scenario. God bless those last minute applicants. A rejection letter from UMC is sometimes all the extra push they need to get in their secondary.

WCU-COM is not going to have a problem getting quality applicants with only one medical school in the state of Mississippi. There are going to be plenty of people who get rejected from UMC with good stats who will end up applying to WCU-COM near the end of the cycle.

Woohoo, interview Jan 22nd. Anyone else in the 0800 group?

Hello everyone, how many of those who were accepted by WC have paid their deposits?
:)

Kame, I dont know about anyone else that was accepted but I have paid my deposit...And I know when I paid mine that someone else had already paid theirs too

Hey all!

Been reading this discussion thread for a while now and decided that I'd join in. I was interviewed and accepted on Dec. 8th!! Already paid the deposit and can't WAIT to start! WCU-COM has been in the back of my mind since I first heard about it when I was in grad school and I feel honored to have been selected for the first class! Look forward to getting to know everyone and for those about to interview...BEST OF LUCK!!!! :) :)

Yes, my sentiments exactly JRainey. Excitement galore.

Kame, I wish there was a way to find out the answer to your question concerning who has already paid their deposit. All intentions aside it's hard to come up with that kind of money without some kind of benefactor. Loans can be a hard thing to come by in this economy even with a cosigner. I want to say that since WCU has such a steep seat deposit that they'll be willing to work with those of us having trouble getting it in "on time" but are willing to make a good faith effort. For myself I'm trying to get it all in by early February. I'd say not to delay any longer than April if you must. Past that and you're flirting with disaster.

How likely am I going to get an interview if I'm taking my mcat on the 30th of this month?

Hello everyone, how many of those who were accepted by WC have paid their deposits?
:)

Kame,

I was accepted December 1st and have elected to go elsewhere. I have informed WCU. It was a tough choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all,

It has been about 2 weeks now since Emily told me I was complete. I keep reading on here how people had turn around time of not even a week. I am certainly hoping this is not a bad sign :scared:. Do they interview people who don't have a chance, or do they just go ahead and let you know to try again next year? Hate this waiting game, but guess it's better than hearing NO. Hope everyone is having a great start to the new year.

Hello all,

It has been about 2 weeks now since Emily told me I was complete. I keep reading on here how people had turn around time of not even a week. I am certainly hoping this is not a bad sign :scared:. Do they interview people who don't have a chance, or do they just go ahead and let you know to try again next year? Hate this waiting game, but guess it's better than hearing NO. Hope everyone is having a great start to the new year.
Classes on campus just started back on Monday...so I wouldn't panic or anything.

Hello all,

What state are you from? As far as i can tell they really has a strong turnng around to the surrounding gulf states residents, especially MS.

I am from CA. I completed my application more than a month ago and have not heard anything. Do they consider out-of-state student? What's the MCAT range?

I am from CA. I completed my application more than a month ago and have not heard anything. Do they consider out-of-state student? What's the MCAT range?

I have a friend from NY getting interviewed there next week. If you have a 24 or above on the MCAT then I'd say you're good in that department. Hang in there Shinny04.

Thanks creativename. Good luck to you :)

for those accepted:
What did you guys get on your mcats? Im curious because I'm applying this cycle

For those interested, we were told today that 35 people have been accepted. Of those 35, 21 have paid their deposits.

For those interested, we were told today that 35 people have been accepted. Of those 35, 21 have paid their deposits.

do you also know how many apps they've received, how many interviews they've granted, and how many people they intend to have in their class? thanks for the other info, by the way!

do you also know how many apps they've received, how many interviews they've granted, and how many people they intend to have in their class? thanks for the other info, by the way!
843 applications received
39 interviews so far
I think they intend on a class size of 108.

Does anyone know how many many students they are accepting? How do they contact you for an interview? Thanks.

I am applying late in the game:eek:, but hopefully they will still have some seats. I am interested to know the mcat scores of those accepted also.

Did any of you shadow a DO in Hattiesburg? I am trying to find someone to shadow.

Any 1/22 interviewees out there that would be interested in getting together for dinner Thursday eve?

So, Irishfan, where all did you apply and where have you been accepted?

If I have an afternoon interview at WCU today, the 22nd of January, do I need to show up at 8am and spend the day there?

I just realized this morning that it isn't clear to me whether I only go for the afternoon and they just told me my interview time was at 1pm, or do I go early this morning and receive a campus tour/talk with financial aid/etc and my interview is at 1pm?

I had an interview at 1pm and I was there around 12:30pm. At 1pm, we were given a packet of information which covered financial aid and then a discussion about it prior to my interview.

I did not meet with WCU's financial aid representative but was given information on how to contact him if I need additional questions answered. The packet of information contained everything I needed to transition to WCU-COM - financial aid, housing, banks, maps, newcomers guide, grocery store list, pharmacies, etc. It was a well put together packet that covered everything I needed.

We couldn't take a tour of the buildings because it was raining.

Hope this helps! GOOD LUCK!

I was the first to interview on the January 22 1:00 group. I have to say that I was very impressed with both the staff and the planning that is going into the new facilities. I feel that this will be a fantastic school. For those who interview in the future, don't expect to find out the day of if you are accepted or not. From now on, there will be committee meetings every Monday to review those interviewed the prior week. Best of luck to all that interviewed with me Friday.

I was the first to interview on the January 22 1:00 group. I have to say that I was very impressed with both the staff and the planning that is going into the new facilities. I feel that this will be a fantastic school. For those who interview in the future, don't expect to find out the day of if you are accepted or not. From now on, there will be committee meetings every Monday to review those interviewed the prior week. Best of luck to all that interviewed with me Friday.

Thanks for the heads up :)

Can anyone give me an idea of how long after they sent in there secondary, that they received an e-mail saying they were complete? I sent my secondary on 1/11... so I am guessing they would have received on or about 1/14.
Just don't want my application to get lost in the shuffle.

I sent my secondary and my files were complete at the end of Oct 2009. I contacted Emily right after to make sure my files were complete and she responded within a day to all my questions. As of today, I received an invitation for an interview at 8am on 2/12. I guess they really take their time to review each application. I hope that helps.

Yea that does help. Maybe I'll just give her a call tomorrow and make sure they received everything. Thanks.

Has anyone talked to Emily lately? I have emailed at least two times and called two times as well and I haven't received a reply.

I know school started again over the past few weeks, but was wondering if anyone else has had recent contact.

Do you mind if I ask you which state you are from? I was told that they prefer to the southern states better. Good luck on your interview.

I sent my secondary and my files were complete at the end of Oct 2009. I contacted Emily right after to make sure my files were complete and she responded within a day to all my questions. As of today, I received an invitation for an interview at 8am on 2/12. I guess they really take their time to review each application. I hope that helps.

Iwork4911,

I have spoken to her but I have already been accepted so I dont know if that helps you at all. I think they have been really busy lately with all the applications. Im sure she will get back to you soon. Good luck to you!

I interviewed the morning of 1/22 and was notified of acceptance that following Monday. I was wondering if everyone from that morning got accepted?

Does anyone who has been accepted mind sharing gpa/mcat? Thanks in advance!

Do you mind if I ask you which state you are from? I was told that they prefer to the southern states better. Good luck on your interview.

Yeah they are, thier main emphasis as far as I have been told are the gulf states and surrouding areas such as Mississippi, Louisiana, and Arkansas. Then they start looking at Alabama, Georgia, Florida, and Texas. I talked with a dean last week and he told me my state will begin to be reviewed sometime soon (i believe this week).

Ok. Thanks. After I finish my undergrad in Fl, I move to CA. I wonder if mine will be reviewed too. Not sure whether I would be considered under FL or CA. Do you happen to know stats of the accepted or interview?

Yeah they are, thier main emphasis as far as I have been told are the gulf states and surrouding areas such as Mississippi, Louisiana, and Arkansas. Then they start looking at Alabama, Georgia, Florida, and Texas. I talked with a dean last week and he told me my state will begin to be reviewed sometime soon (i believe this week).

Has anyone talked to Emily lately? I have emailed at least two times and called two times as well and I haven't received a reply.

I know school started again over the past few weeks, but was wondering if anyone else has had recent contact.

I know Emily was out sick this past Friday.