2008-2009 Tulane Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
just call the general admissions number on their website and then press "0" to bypass the recorded message

Members don't see this ad.

congrats on the invite. Is this your second interview invite ?. Also which state are you from ?.

Thanks! yep this would be my second one:D hopefully, more to come!! I applied as a CA resident. I sent out all my apps from mid to late Sept., so hopefully schools havent got back to me yet because I applied a little later. How are you faring so far?

:luck:

Has anyone who interviewed on 11/14 or later heard anything regarding acceptance/rejection/waitlist? Everyday I open my mailbox looking for that letter but I haven't received a letter yet. The wait is killing me, or maybe this means waitlist.

Members don't see this ad :)
i have been complete since august, i have not received any information/updates since then. people have started to get rejections, i was expecting one, since i have no invite. i am wondering whether they lost my application ... haha

Has anyone who interviewed on 11/14 or later heard anything regarding acceptance/rejection/waitlist? Everyday I open my mailbox looking for that letter but I haven't received a letter yet. The wait is killing me, or maybe this means waitlist.

Looking at the acceptance thread it seems that people are hearing back a month+. Don't lose hope!:luck:
I interviewed 12/1 and really don't expect to hear until January when though they told us otherwise.

i have been complete since august, i have not received any information/updates since then. people have started to get rejections, i was expecting one, since i have no invite. i am wondering whether they lost my application ... haha
I would rather to be rejected than waiting............

Accepted today! Sweet! Loved this school, super excited about next year! New Orleans is an awesome city. I started craving Po' Boys the minute I got back to Portland. See y'all there!

Congrats Bastard!!!!

I just interviewed there this past Friday and LOVED what I saw. Tulane is truly one of a kind. How long did it take you to hear post-interview???? Did you by chance interview with Father Don???? I was lucky enough to interview with him and holy cow, he is hilaaaaaarious.

Just to let all Tulane applicants know (not to discourage you but only to fill you in), the associate dean of admissions said they were looking to fill the class by the end of the year. I was pretty shocked to hear that considering its only December. So I dont think too many more interviews are going out at this point...

Congrats Bastard!!!!

I just interviewed there this past Friday and LOVED what I saw. Tulane is truly one of a kind. How long did it take you to hear post-interview???? Did you by chance interview with Father Don???? I was lucky enough to interview with him and holy cow, he is hilaaaaaarious.

Just to let all Tulane applicants know (not to discourage you but only to fill you in), the associate dean of admissions said they were looking to fill the class by the end of the year. I was pretty shocked to hear that considering its only December. So I dont think too many more interviews are going out at this point...

I interviewed on the 21st of November. I found out by calling Susana Vargas (that's the lady who answer status inquiry calls 9-2 cst on T & R) one day shy of three weeks after my interview. I did interview with Fr. Don. He is an amazing guy. I felt really lucky to interview with him. The way I was treated by everyone at Tulane, from the students to the deans, really spoke volumes to me about the school.

I got to spend four days in NOLA. Kind of a little vacation - visited some friends. This town is awesome.

Just checked my paper acceptance letter and it is dated 12/5/08. So exactly two weeks after my interview.
trojanMD: Considering this you should theoretically be able to call and find out if you got in upon initial committee review Tuesday December 30th.

My timeline for Tulane:
AAMCAS certified 8/19
Secondary Complete status 10/23
Interview Invite 10/27
Interview 11/21
Accepted 12/5

To others worried about the class filling up by the end of the year,
They plan to offer enough acceptances by the end of the year but a good portion of these students will get multiple acceptances and will choose to go elsewhere. The deposit isn't due until 5/15 so it will be a little while before they know who is for sure sticking with Tulane, IMO.

I would rather to be rejected than waiting............

me too. i kinda want to withdraw my app, but their app center seems disorganized, someone who w/drew their app got an interview invite. i doubt i will get one, but still ... this lack of any notification, online status check websites, difficult to get hold of during calling hours is difficult to deal with especially since we paid money for our app to be processed. i don't know if i would go there to interview since i have already been accepted somewhere where i really liked.

Members don't see this ad :)
me too. i kinda want to withdraw my app, but their app center seems disorganized, someone who w/drew their app got an interview invite. i doubt i will get one, but still ... this lack of any notification, online status check websites, difficult to get hold of during calling hours is difficult to deal with especially since we paid money for our app to be processed. i don't know if i would go there to interview since i have already been accepted somewhere where i really liked.

There is only one lady who handles all of the interview stuff. She is very swamped (according to my student host). They are really trying hard to improve the process for next year. THey've had A LOT of complaints and the students who are involved with admissions are really pushing for some big changes.
They are people too!

Yea Susana Vargas is literally a one-man-show. She is the one who handles calls, schedules interviews, and shoots out e-mails/snail mails. They really should another helping hand or two, but until then, give the woman a break

wow really. i wasn't saying it is her fault. i'm not blaming her, although she was very rude to me on the phone. others also seem to have had bad experiences on the phone. i just think the school should do better than that. we pay money for them to process our application, $100. i just want to know 1. that they have received my application and that it is complete 2. any updates at all i.e. is out application being processed?? is there a hold??? do they re-read apps if they don't get an invite the first time around? some people have gotten rejection emails without even knowing for sure if they were complete? i really had heard good things about this school, that is why i decided to apply. but the experience has been the most negative of any school i have applied to.

Was offered an interview invite on 12/10/08 and I just withdrew my application. Hope this opens up a spot for one of you!

Was offered an interview invite on 12/10/08 and I just withdrew my application. Hope this opens up a spot for one of you!
when did you submit/be complete? and thanks!

For those who got accepted, it looks like from the acceptance thread that people aren't hearing back for about a month, even though they say they'll make a decision in 2 weeks. When was your letter dated?
I just wanna know................

I interviewed Oct 27th, my acceptance letter was dated Nov 13th, but I actually ended up calling the office to get my decision before I got the letter. I called on the Nov 20th, but I probably could have called the 18th and found out since the letter already went out.

For those who got accepted, it looks like from the acceptance thread that people aren't hearing back for about a month, even though they say they'll make a decision in 2 weeks. When was your letter dated?
I just wanna know................

They have kept you waiting a while, hopefully you hear from them soon. You can call them today if you want to see if there is any update. When I talked to Dr. Beckman she said that is shouldn't be more than three weeks but I have not made it that long yet.

Good luck:thumbup: I am sure you will hear any day now.

From what I remember hearing from Father Don (Dr. Owens), they are reviewing interviewed applicants today. They are really aiming to let students know before the holidays because they realize how agonizing the wait can be. If you have been waiting for more than 2 weeks post-interview, I would give them a ring this Thusrday!

From what I remember hearing from Father Don (Dr. Owens), they are reviewing interviewed applicants today. They are really aiming to let students know before the holidays because they realize how agonizing the wait can be. If you have been waiting for more than 2 weeks post-interview, I would give them a ring this Thusrday!

I'm planning on calling. I didn't want to call today because I had a final at 11 and didn't want to ruin my mojo if I didn't get in. I'm glad they are sensitive to our plight. I have to wait until January to hear back from one school and its killing me

Scenario: If the application/student isn't offered an interview; is that it?
Is that the finale to the end of the application for that particular school?

I'm in this situation where my heart is set on Tulane for many reasons but most importantly because of siblings have graduated from this school. Being that I've been around Tulane for many years, I am absolutely captivated by the amenities of the school, the curriculum, and of course, NOLA!

Any recommendations? Should I call tomorrow/send a letter of intent? I'm distraught --- any ideas/advice? I mean persistency can't hurt.. (too much)

I just called. ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Interviewed on 12/12, Accepted 12/18!!:D:D

FIRST ACCEPTANCE! I AM LITERALLY GOING NUTS:D:D:D:D

Just how much of a waste of $100 is it to send in a secondary to Tulane at this point? I received a secondary from them in August, but didn't think it was feasible to move to NO at the time. Now I think it would be possible, and am toying with submitted a secondary... so, total waste of time?

Any recommendations? Should I call tomorrow/send a letter of intent? I'm distraught --- any ideas/advice?

yes no interivew means you can't get accepted so that is it. i wouldn't call to show interest, they are rude on the phone. from what people say it's a one man show. just call to ask if they accept updates/LOInterest. if i were you i would send in a LOInterest, a damn good one if you are set on going. from what i heard, LOIntent damages you before an interview but that is just IMHO. good luck! :luck:

I just called. ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Interviewed on 12/12, Accepted 12/18!!:D:D

FIRST ACCEPTANCE! I AM LITERALLY GOING NUTS:D:D:D:D

congrats, the first one always feels wicked

Just how much of a waste of $100 is it to send in a secondary to Tulane at this point? I received a secondary from them in August, but didn't think it was feasible to move to NO at the time. Now I think it would be possible, and am toying with submitted a secondary... so, total waste of time?

how are you're numbers, if they are above average send it in. they usually save a few spots for people with good numbers and late apps

So reading over this thread, a lot of people seem to think the class will be full by the end of the year. I was offered an interview on January 16th, do you think it is worth going, or am I just interviewing for a waitlist spot, etc? I don't really know a lot about the school, but I only have one acceptance at a mid-tier school so I am open-minded about where I go. Advice?

So reading over this thread, a lot of people seem to think the class will be full by the end of the year.

really, where did you get that from. i would say go, you already put in the effort, time, money into the secondary. AND you got an invite. you don't want to look back and wonder what tulane would've been like. yes it costs money and you might hate it. but personally, i like to like without any regrets and what if you fall in love with it. good luck, i hope you choose to go at least check it out.

Thanks blues, thats pretty good advice...

Is that the finale to the end of the application for that particular school?

I'm in this situation where my heart is set on Tulane for many reasons but most importantly because of siblings have graduated from this school. Being that I've been around Tulane for many years, I am absolutely captivated by the amenities of the school, the curriculum, and of course, NOLA!

Any recommendations? Should I call tomorrow/send a letter of intent? I'm distraught --- any ideas/advice? I mean persistency can't hurt.. (too much)

write them an update letter also stating why you want to go there. it seems to be working out for a lot of people lately.

as for the class being full, they technically have to fill it twice because you obviously need to admit a lot more than you have space for to account for people withdrawing. the info came straight from the interview session so there's no real need to think someone made it up. i would highly suggest going to the interview.

if i were you i would send in a LOInterest, a damn good one if you are set on going. from what i heard, LOIntent damages you before an interview but that is just IMHO. good luck! :luck:

write them an update letter also stating why you want to go there. it seems to be working out for a lot of people lately.

thanks for your advice. happy holidays!

Tulane accepted 50 students off of the waitlist last year, and they don't stop interviewing till February. The class will certainly NOT be full come Dec. 31st.

Both Dr. Kahn and Dr. Beckman (the Senior and Associate Deans of Admissions) have said that they really like it when students show initiative on their application. Call or write! It worked for me! If you want to go to Tulane, show it.

Last edited:
Seems like she is one busy lady

I got accepted (via snail mail) a while back and never got a phone call. Weird.

I got accepted (via snail mail) a while back and never got a phone call. Weird.

I think she did this because she wanted people to know by the holidays. She told me that I would hear before christmas even though I interviewed at the beginning of December. I know someone else who got accepted about a month ago and they weren't called either

Aw I want a phone call :( I called Susana Vargas the other day because I was too anxious to wait. Oh well. Hurray for everyone!

Tried to post this on the interview invite thread but for some reason it wouldn't post. Received the email on 12/22 for 1/23.

I would have posted my acceptance call i got from Tulane earlier...but I had a one week "Ban" from this site.
I got into the MD program

Tulane accepted two students during orientation week for the Class of 2012, after the school year had officially begun. They interview through February, but students are accepted all through the summer, even into August. ;)

For those who have been accepted:
I just want to make sure that I can hold my spot without submitting the deposit quite yet. Is that correct?

Also, does Tulane give everyone scholarships? I got a scholarship letter in the envelope with mine and am just wondering how big this is.

Note - I am not trying to be a troll. But my decision about Tulane rests heavily on finances so I am just trying to figure out what the deal is.

Thanks and Happy New Year (almost)!

Don't lose hope. I was complete on 9/2 and just received an interview invitation. However, I've already been accepted at a school closer to home, so I turned down the invitation. That means that there is at least one more interview spot to fill. Good luck!

For those who have been accepted:
I just want to make sure that I can hold my spot without submitting the deposit quite yet. Is that correct?

Also, does Tulane give everyone scholarships? I got a scholarship letter in the envelope with mine and am just wondering how big this is.

Note - I am not trying to be a troll. But my decision about Tulane rests heavily on finances so I am just trying to figure out what the deal is.

Thanks and Happy New Year (almost)!

The deposit was required by May 15th, last year anyway. I too received a scholarship, but I wasn't informed of this until I received my financial award letter. The scholarship was based on financial need.

I have an interview on Monday. I'm excited! I hope that Tulane/NOLA is a good fit for me, and I hope that I get an acceptance!

did any of the accepted people get a cbc email yet? i was accepted back in dec before xmas.

did any of the accepted people get a cbc email yet? i was accepted back in dec before xmas.

Not yet, I know someone who was accepted back in November too and they have yet to get a CBC e-mail either.

I'm sure this is posted throughout the thread, but what is the average wait time between being complete and getting an interview invite? I've been verified as complete as of last Friday (yes, I know, it's still early), but I'm anxiously awaiting something more. I know they're planning to interview through February, so I'm just wondering how long I can expect to wait.

Also, how much time is there between interview invite and the interview? I'm just wondering as far as buying a flight down there goes, since ticket prices tend to go up the closer you are to the date.

AHHHHHH!!!! I REALLY hope they give me an interview...this is definitely my ONLY choice. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.