2008 - 2009 UNC Chapel Hill Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yay! I called and it's there now!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh to add to what Aladdin said, you find your PID on the unc student central website. There is a lookup.

and the website is studentcentral.unc.edu (it's been up here before for anyone who is wondering)... here's to lots of loans!

The amount of loans is depressing. The amount of unsubsidized loans is even more depressing!

The amount of loans is depressing. The amount of unsubsidized loans is even more depressing!

yes it is a bit. but i've talked to the fellows that I work with (who have large amount of loans) and they said take all that you can get and that you will pay them off with ease... nice to hear from people who have been through it all and are almost out on the other side.

Indeed. Anyone get scholarships?

I got $4000/yr of scholarship and grant money. The rest were loans.

Given how much goes into making tuition as absurdly cheap as it is, any extra help is gravy to me.

I'll be living in an apartment. I highly doubt my room & board is gonna come anywhere near $15k+. I'm assuming that will not be on my UNC bill, and I can adjust my unsubsidized loans lower accordingly. How are you guys budgeting for this one?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be living in an apartment. I highly doubt my room & board is gonna come anywhere near $15k+. I'm assuming that will not be on my UNC bill, and I can adjust my unsubsidized loans lower accordingly. How are you guys budgeting for this one?
Yeah i hope I wont come close to that neither...im thinking 400 for housing and 300/month for food...so thats only 7K.

So I forgot my password so i cant log into get my onyen until i fax in some form...Fml.

You really think you'll spend only $700 a month on room and board? Do you ever plan to eat out? What about things like cable and internet? And utilities? The people I've talked to told me tothink really hard about reducing your loans because you don't want to get into other kinds of debt because you didn't take enough out... It is a lot but it is manageable to pay back.

You really think you'll spend only $700 a month on room and board? Do you ever plan to eat out? What about things like cable and internet? And utilities? The people I've talked to told me tothink really hard about reducing your loans because you don't want to get into other kinds of debt because you didn't take enough out... It is a lot but it is manageable to pay back.
i do...my apt is like 325 and I dont think food will cost more then 400 bucks.so maybe not 700 but sub 800. Its not like I plan to live as frugal as possible, just within my means.

i do...my apt is like 325 and I dont think food will cost more then 400 bucks.so maybe not 700 but sub 800. Its not like I plan to live as frugal as possible, just within my means.

It is Un-American to live within your means. How dare you suggest such ridiculousness? :D

I don't think it's wise to reduce loans too much your 1st year. There will likely be plenty of unexpected expenses, and if not, you can always ask for that much less next year.

I don't think it's wise to reduce loans too much your 1st year. There will likely be plenty of unexpected expenses, and if not, you can always ask for that much less next year.
how exactly does it work if you take out say 40K but only need 32K?? Can you just give the 8K back?

how exactly does it work if you take out say 40K but only need 32K?? Can you just give the 8K back?

If I had an 8K surplus, I'd either use it as a down payment on a condo or just request less loan money the next year.

yeah most of the students that I talked to just paid back that portion into their loans.. though they said that the surplus was usually fairly small.

yeah most of the students that I talked to just paid back that portion into their loans.. though they said that the surplus was usually fairly small.

How does the interest work with unsubsidized loans? Does it accrue daily or monthly? If you take out $40k at 7% interest. And it accrues monthly, that's $230+ per month right? Do we take out loans once a year or once a semester (i.e. twice a year).

I guess if you took out 40k and only needed 32k, and you realized that at the end of the year and then paid back the 8k, you would lose roughly about $560 in extra interest payments, assuming you pay the interest so it doesn't capitalize.

I guess if you took out 40k and only needed 32k, and you realized that at the end of the year and then paid back the 8k, you would lose roughly about $560 in extra interest payments, assuming you pay the interest so it doesn't capitalize.

I think you get two installments (once a semester), so it wouldn't be quite that much. The interest payments capitalize? really? But it would be an additional 560 each year if you decided to keep that 8k for a down payment, etc. etc.

I thought for the unsubsidized loans you don't pay the interest until after graduation, though it accrues,and for subsidized, max 8500/yr, there is no interest until after graduation? Haven't looked at that stuff in a while....

on a side note, more importantly, may 15th is nearly half over in my part of the world :)

I think you get two installments (once a semester), so it wouldn't be quite that much. The interest payments capitalize? really? But it would be an additional 560 each year if you decided to keep that 8k for a down payment, etc. etc.

I thought for the unsubsidized loans you don't pay the interest until after graduation, though it accrues,and for subsidized, max 8500/yr, there is no interest until after graduation? Haven't looked at that stuff in a while....

on a side note, more importantly, may 15th is nearly half over in my part of the world :)

You're right. The interest capitalizes when you enter repayment. So you can wait until graduation to pay off the interest to prevent capitalization, meaning you still have to put aside $ for this, but now you can earn a little interest while it's sitting in a bank before you pull it out.

On a separate note, good luck to you guys!

you're right. The interest capitalizes when you enter repayment. So you can wait until graduation to pay off the interest to prevent capitalization, meaning you still have to put aside $ for this, but now you can earn a little interest while it's sitting in a bank before you pull it out.

on a separate note, good luck to you guys!

+1

YESSS ITS MAY 15! Hope that the following days/weeks/months bring lots of good news for everyone on the waitlist! :luck:

is there an online resource for UNC's estimated cost breakdown for first year? I know they gave it to us in interview but I can't find that

I'm going with the school health insurance. I'm not 100% sure, but I think it has some vision coverage for eye exams right? What do people do for dental insurance? Buy it on their own?

I know CFNC last year had a 1.5% reduction in loan interest costs if you pay on time. They have changed it to .25% this year... Does anybody know of any other lenders with good deals for people who pay on time/pay with automatic draft/anything?

this is totally off-topic, but what do you think the chances are of getting off the waitlist of UNC's law school?! one of my friend's got waitlisted and I really want to attend UNC with him!! :xf:

this is totally off-topic, but what do you think the chances are of getting off the waitlist of UNC's law school?! one of my friend's got waitlisted and I really want to attend UNC with him!! :xf:
lol?? average

haha, totally agree that it is off topic. :)

anyone banking on saturday phone calls? :) should be movement in the next week - good luck to everyone!

does he know that you are interested in him?

lol we went to high school together and still hang out. I feel so bad he's waitlisted at Carolina, bc if he doesn't get in I think he'll have to wait a year and reapply. which is a terrible feeling we all can relate to!

uhhh...to make this post also relate to the medical school, I read online that last year the MS1s went on a lake house trip at the end of July, before orientation. It was optional, of course. I hope they do it again this year, I will definitely go!!!

lol we went to high school together and still hang out. I feel so bad he's waitlisted at Carolina, bc if he doesn't get in I think he'll have to wait a year and reapply. which is a terrible feeling we all can relate to!

uhhh...to make this post also relate to the medical school, I read online that last year the MS1s went on a lake house trip at the end of July, before orientation. It was optional, of course. I hope they do it again this year, I will definitely go!!!
That would be fun...Do you know if its in the works this year?

Hi future classmates! I'm feeling particularly warm and fuzzy today and just wanted to say I'm really excited to meet you all in the fall :). Might as well be excited now before reality sets in and we all start hating our lives :D! I wish they would update the orientation website for us. I'm a gadget freak and I want to know what laptop they're going to make us buy!

Hi future classmates! I'm feeling particularly warm and fuzzy today and just wanted to say I'm really excited to meet you all in the fall :). Might as well be excited now before reality sets in and we all start hating our lives :D! I wish they would update the orientation website for us. I'm a gadget freak and I want to know what laptop they're going to make us buy!
I think an IBM thinkpad.

Last year it was a T60 and a tablet... this year I've heard from one of the IT guys that its going to be a T60 and and X series computer.

Oh man, I saw this post and got really excited, I had not heard anything about the lake trip. What a great way to meet everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.