2010-2011 Medical College of Wisconsin Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately it is nearly impossible to predict how the waitlist will move from one year to another. My year (class of 2013) had a pretty good waitlist movement, as did the year ahead of us. The year after us wasn't nearly was much. You just have to hope for the best and really try to keep patient.

This guy. This guy is the man. Speak to him if you ever need some good info on how to answer endo questions on the phys final. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

what a nice day out in milwaukee! hopefully it stays this nice well into our M1 year!!

Members don't see this ad :)
No acceptances offered so far this week. I called them.

Thanks for the update Dazed. Now if only there was a way to make this list move...

Hey guys- I got called this morning and offered a spot. (I was in the 1st Quartile, do not know if I was top or bottom half) I declined, as I just got in off another waitlist at my number one last week, but I just wanted to let you know they ARE calling and it IS moving! Good Luck! :luck::xf:

Thanks for the update, ski! Best of luck at your number one!

I got the call this afternoon! I was also in the first quartile and not sure where exactly but don't think I was in the top half. I have until the 24th to accept. I am very excited, I had just about given up hope since there had been no action on SDN for a while and everyone kept talking about slow movement. Good luck to all other waitlisters, hope to see you in August!:)

Congrats to you both, Ski and Kels. Thanks for keeping us updated! It's great to see continued movement.

got the call this afternoon!! The list is definitely moving...:xf::xf::luck::luck: guys

got the call this afternoon!! The list is definitely moving...:xf::xf::luck::luck: guys

Awesome! Congratulations :). Thanks for coming back and posting. If I recall correctly, you said you were in the 30s on the list?

Hopefully, there is continued movement next week with another deadline approaching tomorrow.

Thanks, I think I was around 30. My deadline is June 24th.

Members don't see this ad :)
YAY we're approaching the 2nd quartile. Let's hope it goes far into it and beyond.

Hi Guys,
I got the call from Jennifer today :) it was around 8.45 am in CA.....
Anyway, I will accept the offer although I love EVMS so very much :(, just because EVMS tuition has raised to 56k/year....if I get into Loma Linda Ill give up MCW, but chance is slim, so I will most likely go to MCW...very excited, I love this school :)
I was top of the second quartile that got bumped into the first quartile 3 weeks ago :) GOOOOD LUCK GUYS! the fight is not over !!!

Hi Guys,
I got the call from Jennifer today :) it was around 8.45 am in CA.....
Anyway, I will accept the offer although I love EVMS so very much :(, just because EVMS tuition has raised to 56k/year....if I get into Loma Linda Ill give up MCW, but chance is slim, so I will most likely go to MCW...very excited, I love this school :)
I was top of the second quartile that got bumped into the first quartile 3 weeks ago :) GOOOOD LUCK GUYS! the fight is not over !!!

Congrats! So it looks like they made it through the original first quartile and have now hit the second quartile. Very encouraging post. Best of luck on the wait at Loma Linda! Thank you for sharing :)

Congrats, doc! There is hope for second quartile peeps!

Hi guys, I was originally in the second quartile and just found out that I was moved up to the first quartile..so waitlist is really starting to move now. :)

I'd like some advice if anyone could help. I was placed in the small pool at MCW back in mid-november and have heard NOTHING since. No e-mails, no snail mail, no phone calls. Around the time the last interviews were being given out I called the Office of Admissions and was told I'd be hearing back soon. After about another month of hearing nothing, I called again only to be told the same thing. Well here I am in mid June and still have heard nothing. I realize interviews are long gone, but I feel like after paying my application fee like everyone else, at a bare minimum I deserve some sort of correspondance. At this point I guess I'm not sure who to contact, and exactly how to express my displeasure. Thanks in advance for any help!

I just called the admissions office not too long ago and was told that there was no waitlist movement this week :confused: ?? I feel like the person I spoke to may not be completely in the loop. Does anyone know the best way I can get in touch with Jennifer? Some of you have mentioned speaking to her at some point or another...should I just call in and ask for her? Thanks in advance!

anybody know of any acceptances going out since tuesday? this wait is really starting to kill me...

I was told earlier in the week there wasn't much expected this week since there are some offers holding out there, but that we should see a few next week potentially. fingers crossed.

I was wondering what are the possibilities of matching into Ophthalmology from MCW? I've heard through the grapevine that this school sends students to primary care residencies, and not much of the highly sought specialties...does anybody have an idea about this?

I was wondering what are the possibilities of matching into Ophthalmology from MCW? I've heard through the grapevine that this school sends students to primary care residencies, and not much of the highly sought specialties...does anybody have an idea about this?

I always hear that the name of the school will never stop you from doing what you want to do, unless you go to the Carribbean or something. I think it all depends on your grades, and more importantly, your USMLE scores. It may just be that a lot of people at MCW liked primary care and decided to do it. I have never imagined myself in primary care, but I would be extremely happy with an acceptance from MCW. From there I would just work super hard to get a residency I want, I'm confident that I can get where I want, and you can do it as well.

"The most popular choices for Medical College graduates this year were largely in primary care fields, which attracted 37.9 percent of graduates. These include pediatrics (12.6 percent); internal medicine (12.6 percent of the class); family medicine (10.2 percent of the class). The next top four choices were anesthesiology (9.2); emergency medicine (8.3 percent); surgery (7.8 percent); and radiology (5.3 percent).

Of the remaining 20 percent, specialties included orthopaedic surgery, ophthalmology, radiation oncology, plastic surgery, pathology, radiology, neurology, neurosurgery, urology, physical medicine and rehabilitation, psychiatry, dermatology and otolaryngology."

http://www.mcw.edu/Releases/2011Releases/MatchDay2011.htm

As a comparison, for UCSF it looks like 53% of students went in to primary care residencies.

"Popular specialties among the class of 2011 (142 students) include: internal medicine (42 students), pediatrics (20 students), family medicine (14 students), and obstetrics-gynecology (14 students)."

http://www.ucsf.edu/news/2011/04/9764/successful-match-day-recruits-top-candidates-ucsf

I think it mainly depends on what you want to do and how hard you want to work.

"The most popular choices for Medical College graduates this year were largely in primary care fields, which attracted 37.9 percent of graduates. These include pediatrics (12.6 percent); internal medicine (12.6 percent of the class); family medicine (10.2 percent of the class). The next top four choices were anesthesiology (9.2); emergency medicine (8.3 percent); surgery (7.8 percent); and radiology (5.3 percent).

Of the remaining 20 percent, specialties included orthopaedic surgery, ophthalmology, radiation oncology, plastic surgery, pathology, radiology, neurology, neurosurgery, urology, physical medicine and rehabilitation, psychiatry, dermatology and otolaryngology."

http://www.mcw.edu/Releases/2011Releases/MatchDay2011.htm

As a comparison, for UCSF it looks like 53% of students went in to primary care residencies.

"Popular specialties among the class of 2011 (142 students) include: internal medicine (42 students), pediatrics (20 students), family medicine (14 students), and obstetrics-gynecology (14 students)."

http://www.ucsf.edu/news/2011/04/9764/successful-match-day-recruits-top-candidates-ucsf

I think it mainly depends on what you want to do and how hard you want to work.

Counting the number of students at TOP RANKED schoosl going into Internal meds as primary care is a little bit misleading because they WILL match into top ranked IM programs (UCSF, MGH, hopkins, UCLA, cleveland clinic, ect) AND, more likely than not, pursue a competitive fellowship (GI, Allergy/Immuno, cards, ect), thus they will not really be PC any longer....

Last year, four people matched into Ophthalmology from MCW. I think it really depends on the individual, and not the school. You just need to make sure that you do what you need to do (research, AOA, good letters of rec, crush step 1, etc..) to make yourself competitive. If you look at last years match list, you will find that virtually all of the super competitive specialties are represented. So it's not like MCW has a bad rep. that will keep you from doing what you want to do.

Hey guys, so I'm wondering what does it take to just totally kill step I? Is performance really a function of the amount of time you study (if so, I'm studying starting year 1)? or is this one of those tests that only certain people (ridiculously smart or good test takers) can do well on? and how may people typically make AOA? Once you're in AOA, do you stay there all four years? and is AOA really absolutely required for the the more competitive specialties?

Hey guys, so I'm wondering what does it take to just totally kill step I? Is performance really a function of the amount of time you study (if so, I'm studying starting year 1)? or is this one of those tests that only certain people (ridiculously smart or good test takers) can do well on? and how may people typically make AOA? Once you're in AOA, do you stay there all four years? and is AOA really absolutely required for the the more competitive specialties?

I'm only an incoming M1 also so I can only echo what I have heard from current med students. Regarding Step 1, almost everyone I talk to says to just really work your butt off during years 1 and 2 and when it comes the dedicated Step 1 study time it will mostly be review. I'm sure over studying (ie starting during M1) won't hurt, but I've heard it's not really worth the time. Regarding AOA, this is what it says in the MCW handbook; "Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) is a national medical honor society for individuals who have achieved scholastic excellence and who have demonstrated qualities of integrity, leadership, compassion, and fairness. Up to one-sixth of the class may be selected. Selection is made by faculty members of AOA in mid-May of the junior year and in early fall of the senior year, on the basis of academic achievement and upon nomination by classmates and faculty." From what I understand, this is one of those things that is great to have on you resume, but if you don't have it, it won't necessarily preclude you from matching into competitive specialties.

Are you an incoming M1 at MCW? If so, I can't wait to meet you, and everyone else in just over a month!

There is no trick to step 1. If you study and prepare well, you will do fine. Everyone has different study habits and makes their own schedules. Even if you aren't a good test taker or ridiculously smart, you can do well. I must HIGHLY advise you NOT to study for step 1 during the first year. You won't know enough material to make it worthwhile (most of first year is low yield except phys). Also, you will be marking yourself as a gunner (no one likes that guy) and will never have a social life. First year is all about gaining experience, and one of the most important is finding your social niche. There is plenty of time to study during second year and the material is much more relevant and high yield. There are very few people in my year that started studying during first year, and even they had a hard time preparing for the test. (Also, they were never around and had no social life).

AOA is an odd entity at MCW. You get chosen either in junior or senior year (so there is not 4 year membership) and its based on grades and how active you were in the student community (this is more for the senior AOA).

It sounds to me like you are really interested in a highly competitive specialty. That's perfectly fine. Just keep in mind that you might find some other specialty that you like even more that isn't as competitive. I advise keeping your eyes and mind open to all specialties until you've really seen enough to get a feel for what you want. And even if you do choose a competitive specialty, step 1 and AOA are not everything. Just like the MCAT and summa cum-laude from college, there is more to your application than just numbers.

Are there any current students or Wisconsin residents that live in West Allis or know a little bit about the area? I'm an incoming M1 and I've been researching apartments online, and I noticed a few in the area, but being from CA, I don't know much about the area itself. I was just wondering how the area is, how easy it is to get to MCW, if there are certain apartment complexes in West Allis that students tend to live in, and things like that. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hey everyone, I got the call from Jennifer this morning. I will be taking the spot. I was originally in the 2nd quartile and moved up to the first a few weeks ago.
I am so unbelievably psyched. Can't wait to meet you all in August!

Hey future MCWers. I'm going to be an M-2 at MCW next year and if anyone is looking for an apartment for next year, I'm moving out of mine at the end of July. Here are the details:

8904 West Blue Mound Road Apt. 3 Milwaukee, WI
1BR
$560 Rent
Parking and heating included

It's located within walking distance of MCW and is pretty spacious. If interested, shoot me an email at [email protected]. Have a great summer!

Hey everyone, I got the call from Jennifer this morning. I will be taking the spot. I was originally in the 2nd quartile and moved up to the first a few weeks ago.
I am so unbelievably psyched. Can't wait to meet you all in August!

congrats on the acceptance. keeps the hope alive for the 2nd quartile-rs!

Question for rising M2s (traditional program): Which books would you consider necessary for M1 year? Not going to buy any until school starts, but just want to see how much I should plan on budgeting for the year.

Question for rising M2s (traditional program): Which books would you consider necessary for M1 year? Not going to buy any until school starts, but just want to see how much I should plan on budgeting for the year.

I'm sure there are a bunch of different opinions on this but the few I would say are most important:

1st Semester:
Anatomy--Netter (almost certainly need)
Embryology--Moore and Persaud (I didn't find the readings necessary but the figures are really helpful b/c our notes were in black and white)
Biochem--I would suggest NOT buying the text...the notes are really good. Maybe buy Lippincott if you want another source.

2nd Semester:
Cell/Tissue Biology--Wheater's (almost certainly need IMO)
Neuro--Nolte (many people didnt buy but I thought was helpful)--Blumenfeld (nice text but I didn't find it necessary)
Physiology--Guyton and Hall (I bought but maybe not necessary)
--Costanzo BRS Physio (I would definitely buy this)

Hope this helps!

The only book that you absolutely need is Netter. You will use it by far the most first semester.

Other books that people find useful but not 100% necessary are Wheaters for CTB, Moore for anatomy (at least for the blue box sections), Lippencott for biochem and Guyton for physiology (depending on how they decide to run the class it may be more or less important).

Does anyone know about Normandy Village apartments? As in how the area is, and if students tend to live there? I'm in CA, so its hard to get a real idea from online.

Thanks to everyone whose been helping out with housing advice!

Has anybody gotten off the waitlist recently?? Seems to be moving pretty slow...

Has anybody gotten off the waitlist recently?? Seems to be moving pretty slow...

I called yesterday and Jennifer was not there. I talked to the lady who answered (seems to be the same voice every time I call). She said she doesn't anticipate more movement til July 8th. Jennifer is out of the office until July 10th. I'll probably call again on the 10th.

Does anyone know about Normandy Village apartments? As in how the area is, and if students tend to live there? I'm in CA, so its hard to get a real idea from online.

I know many people have lived there. They're decent apts. The washer/dryer is not in the apt though. It's not a far drive, but it's not the closest either; it does have a pool.

There is also Serafino Square, Underwood Station as apartment complexes which are close. In the immediate neighborhood of MCW, there are several duplexes, and some apt complex with "Harwood" in its name. I've lived in Tosa for several years, and like the area.

I wouldn't recommend the Reserve. When I left there in 2009, I was paying $1400/mo for a 2br/2ba -- it increased by $100/mo each year.

To do well on Step 1, there are three secrets:

1. Know what works for you in terms of studying. Try to figure this out first year.

2. Try to do well in classes first and second year. Try to really learn things. Don't worry so much about "board studying". You'll have plenty of time after finals second year for dedicated board studying.

3. Minus the outliers, it really comes down to dedication and how much you want it. How much are you willing to do/sacrifice for that certain score range?

Enjoy the ride!

Are there any current students or Wisconsin residents that live in West Allis or know a little bit about the area? I'm an incoming M1 and I've been researching apartments online, and I noticed a few in the area, but being from CA, I don't know much about the area itself. I was just wondering how the area is, how easy it is to get to MCW, if there are certain apartment complexes in West Allis that students tend to live in, and things like that. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
'stallis has a bit of a low class reputation, depending on which side of the tracks you're on. Some of it's nice, but I'd choose wisely.

It's a nice area, and I knew a few people who lived there (Agent Splat and akpete, who are now PGY-3s elsewhere).

I know many people have lived there. They're decent apts. The washer/dryer is not in the apt though. It's not a far drive, but it's not the closest either; it does have a pool.

There is also Serafino Square, Underwood Station as apartment complexes which are close. In the immediate neighborhood of MCW, there are several duplexes, and some apt complex with "Harwood" in its name. I've lived in Tosa for several years, and like the area.
Serafino was a bit pricey for me - it was over $1000/month in 2006, whereas the place I got on 90th and North (one of the red brick six-plexes) was $675.

Thanks so much for all apartment the info Prowler and Ashers! It's really helpful.

Hmmm... This thread has been eerily quiet for the past few days. No one has gotten off the waitlist?

anybody hear any news from jennifer today? from what I heard the week before last, some offers should have gone out.

Status
Not open for further replies.