2010-2011 University of Tennessee Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey All,

Congrats on those who have been accepted, I was active on this thread last year and am happily wrapping up the end of my first academic year here. I live at Phi Chi and we are looking forward to hosting the BBQ for you all and have some big things planned to improve house life here next year. We only have a couple spots left for next year and it looks like rent will be 315$ a month, which includes parking, uber high speed wireless internet, power, water, fully stocked kitchen and living room, etc. Walking to campus is really, really nice. Let me know if any of you all are interested and feel free to ask any questions about UT or Phi Chi.

This is it! This week should be a good one for several people on the alternate list. Good luck to everyone waiting! :luck:
Keep us posted! I'll let you know as soon as get the call! :xf: (a little wishful thinking never hurt anyone, right?)
Congratulations to all who have already been accepted :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I am an OOS on the waitlist. It seems like there has not been a lot of waitlist movement. I e-mailed Mr. Strother and he told me that for the non-resident waitlist there had been no movement. Has anyone checked on the in-state waitlist?

Does that mean that no OOS students have withdrawn acceptances? That is not good at all.....

Have any sdners heard anything about any instate waitlist movement? I thought we would have seen some movement in the last day or two.

I wonder if the flooding in memphis has any effect on the waitlist movement, or lack thereof.

In state movement is at 35. This is about 10 more than this time last year.

Thanks for the response. 35 sounds good, it gives me some hope, I guess. Still need some more spots to open.:xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got a phone call from Dean Strother and he offered me a spot! I'm so excited! I was told "top 40" so hopefully some of you will hear something soon. Good luck!

Just got a phone call from Dean Strother and he offered me a spot! I'm so excited! I was told "top 40" so hopefully some of you will hear something soon. Good luck!

Congrats! Everytime my phone rings I get nervous then see it's not from a Memphis area code. Hoping for a call :xf:

Congratulations!

Congrats!

Anyone heard anything else about oos? Any movement yet?

I wonder if the flooding in memphis has any effect on the waitlist movement, or lack thereof.
I live in Memphis and I can tell you the flooding probably means absolutely nothing concerning med school applicants. Sure there may be a few students living on mud island that are out of house and home....thats it. If anything it brings attention to memphis and garners more interest. I doubt it dissuades anyone from attending.

Does anyone happen to have any updates on how far they've made it on the in-state waiting list? The last I saw above was somewhere in the upper 30s (maybe 40) as of last Thursday...

Thanks, anyone!

Does anyone happen to have any updates on how far they've made it on the in-state waiting list? The last I saw above was somewhere in the upper 30s (maybe 40) as of last Thursday...

Thanks, anyone!

I was wondering the same thing

I just requested a deferral, so that should open up an OOS spot. There are probably more cases like mine, so I bet there's some OOS movement to come. Good luck!

I just requested a deferral, so that should open up an OOS spot. There are probably more cases like mine, so I bet there's some OOS movement to come. Good luck!

Have you been officially "approved" for the deferral? I was wondering how long that took.

I just got the call from Mr. Strother (literally 20 minutes ago) offering me admission. So, they're definitely into the top 50 now.

I'm in-state, by the way.

I am new to posting here, but i have been a long time reader! Congrats to those that have made it out of waitlist limbo. I am hoping you guys could answer some of my questions.

1) Do they only call on Thursday?

2) I was told the top 60... Should i give up?

3) Does anyone know the number they are on?

Thanks for reading. If anyone can help me out, that would be great. Good luck to my fellow waitlisters.

Last edited:
I just got the call from Mr. Strother (literally 20 minutes ago) offering me admission. So, they're definitely into the top 50 now.

I'm in-state, by the way.

Congratulations paroikoi!!! I'm really happy for you! This is GREAT :)!!!
Good luck to everyone still waiting :luck:

I am new to posting here, but i have been a long time reader! Congrats to those that have made it out of waitlist limbo. I am hoping you guys could answer some of my questions.

1) Do they only call on Thursday?

2) I was told the top 60... Should i give up?

3) Does anyone know the number they are on?

Thanks for reading. If anyone can help me out, that would be great. Good luck to my fellow waitlisters.

1) They call when they call
2)If they are in the 40's and you were told top 60 you would be out of your mind to give up...or perhaps you could give up and let us suckers lower on the list (I suspect I am in the top 70) have a better chance. Typically they make it to the mid 50's or to 60 on th list...not much further than that so you still have a shot.
3)Past years have shown that if you are in the to 20-25 Nelson will actually tell you your number. Later than that and Nelson will tell you what top group of 10 you are in like top 60. However, if you are later than top 60 Nelson only gives 3rds and halves. I am top 1/3. Apparently Paroikoi was in the top 50 and was just accepted.:xf:

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your reply!

This is the second year I have been on the waiting list, and I REALLY want to go to Tennessee. I hate to keep my hopes up, but I guess I am eternally optimistic :oops:

The only reason I asked about Thursday was because another student said that is when they called. I was going to detach the phone from my side if you said it was true. :D

Good luck to everyone! :luck:

I just got the phone call from Nelson this morning. ACCEPTED!!! OOS and will be attending!!!! :love::love::love::love::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Accepted today and I will be attending. I am instate and was told top 50 in April.

Have you been officially "approved" for the deferral? I was wondering how long that took.

Sorry, just now seeing your post. It only took about 3 days or so. Diane helped me with the process, and it was very easy. I think they are pretty willing to grant deferrals.

Hey guys, I'm an M2 here at UT. Just providing a silver lining to those who don't get accepted this year (sorry if this has been previously discussed)...UT's curriculum is completely changing for the incoming class. At UT we have a big sib program, where an M2 helps out around 3 M1s. But considering how the curriculum is now systems based, new small group sessions, and A LOT more self-teaching, I'm not sure how helpful M2s are gonna be. (And trust me when i say, that this program is a life saver)This style of teaching is also very new to the faculty (who have been teaching a certain way for 25+ years). So, if you have to wait another year, at least it will give the school a chance to work out a lot of the kinks I'm sure it will encounter. Best of luck to everyone.

...UT's curriculum is completely changing for the incoming class. At UT we have a big sib program, where an M2 helps out around 3 M1s. But considering how the curriculum is now systems based, new small group sessions, and A LOT more self-teaching.

I am a bit worried about the change to the curriculum. I havent heard much about it either besides that the change is going to occur. Anyone have any detailed information about the changes?

On another note, i know someone gave up a spot today, so good luck everyone!

I don't really know that much about it. Last year, we had Anatomy, Anatomy Lab, Physiology, and molecular basis of disease (which is essentially advanced biochem with some genetics). At christmas, anatomy was over and immunology was picked up (which is actually 25% of your micro grade that you take in M2). M1 year was broken into 5 5-week blocks. At the end of each block was a week where you took a test for each subject (i.e. 3 separate computer based exams + 1 anatomy practical). Before the next block started, you had a week called PCC/DRS, which are 2 separate classes. This is where you learn miscellaneous bull crap (it stands for prevention, community, and culture and Doctoring: recognizing signs and symptoms). We were loosely systems based. From what I understand, they are doing a complete overall. They are dramatically cutting down on contact hours (hours spent in the lecture hall with a professor). Instead, they make assignments on material you need to know and then you will have small groups to discuss it. Also, PCC/DRS is going to be more integrated instead of having its own separate week. Most importantly, I believe that instead of having separate tests for each subjects, it will all combined into one test. And instead of being tested at the end of a 5 week block, you will have a test every 2-3 weeks. Again, this is what our class has heard, and by no means is it official, but you should probably expect something along these lines. And it's like i mentioned before, you all will be assigned a big sib, but since we dont know how your curriculum is going to be set up, we probably wont be much help.

The big sib system will still be helpful... Maybe in different ways? Thanks for your quick reply. I had not noticed they posted the schedule online. What you said about testing makes sense when i look at the schedule :D thanks for your quick reply!

I got into my top choice school yesterday and took the opportunity so I'll be giving up my spot soon. Good luck to those waiting!

I got off the waitlist today ^_^!! There is hope for all those stuck in waitlist limbo.

I got off the waitlist today ^_^!! There is hope for all those stuck in waitlist limbo.
So for the rest of us this means they are into the 50's on the wait list, not sure how far and probably still somewhere near 20 people away from me. Anyway, congrats, I told ya you might get in =)

p.s. Today is not thursday =)

Last edited:
Received a phone call this morning from Mr. Strother offering me a spot.

Submitted my request for deferred admission this morning. Good luck to whoever gets my spot.

Suncrusher, have you gotten any love from any schools this application cycle?

Status
Not open for further replies.