2010-2011 University of Tennessee Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How did you guys learn what portion of the waitlist you are on? Did you call Nelson today? Is there something on the letter that indicates?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got the waitlist too... Won't bother trying to find out what my ranking is on it though. Best case, I'm high-up on it, get offered a position, which I turn down and then one of you gets in? Anyway... good luck all!

Middle 1/3; definitely a rejection. My letter said to try and gain as much clinical and hands on experience as possible. I'm obviously thinking CNA, EMT, and shadowing. However application season isn't too far away and I'm a little tied up until after my finals/graduation. Does anyone have any other good ideas that could help me improve in this area in a limited timeframe?

I agree with previous poster. The important thing is that you go ahead and get involved in one of these things this summer. I think volunteering at a hospital or free clinic might be best. It's not like you have to be done with it before you apply again. It's very possible they won't be making a decision on you until October to December, so you just need to have completed a good deal of work by then.

I agree with previous poster. The important thing is that you go ahead and get involved in one of these things this summer. I think volunteering at a hospital or free clinic might be best. It's not like you have to be done with it before you apply again. It's very possible they won't be making a decision on you until October to December, so you just need to have completed a good deal of work by then.

Thanks to both you and Suncrusher for the advice and suggestions! I'll definitely make sure I have something set up to hit the ground running with immediately after finals. Rocher looks like our time scale and final position were nearly identical. Don't give up on me. Positive thoughts, positive thoughts, positive thoughts.

Hey guys.....I'm in class all day and don't have Nelson's number on hand. Can someone please give me his phone number. You can private message it if you'd prefer.

Thanks!

EDIT: I found his business card. Got the number

Last edited:
Thanks to both you and Suncrusher for the advice and suggestions! I'll definitely make sure I have something set up to hit the ground running with immediately after finals. Rocher looks like our time scale and final position were nearly identical. Don't give up on me. Positive thoughts, positive thoughts, positive thoughts.

I'm going to get in one way or another. Getting middle of the pack on the waitlist only gives me more motivation to kick ass this upcoming application cycle. Apply early, that's where I screwed up this year.

I'm going to get in one way or another. Getting middle of the pack on the waitlist only gives me more motivation to kick ass this upcoming application cycle. Apply early, that's where I screwed up this year.

I was top of the middle third last year, and I got in in December this year. It's definitely possible. I did not do anything to really improve as I was already working full time before applying, but Nelson will give you things that you can do to strengthen your application if he thinks you need it. Good luck to everyone!

Good luck to everyone on the waitlist!

Last edited:
So what is everyone's take on the recommendations that are placed in BOLD to go along with the wait list letter? Does it mean you are most likely placed in the back of the line as far as ranking on the wait list or is there still a chance of being towards the front? I still have not called Dean Strother so I have no idea where I am. Thanks in advance for the responses.

Got my letter too. Waitlisted. Top 50. God be thanked! Best wishes, everyone! I hope lots of us get in.
Congrats! You are likely to get in if you are top 50. I was wondering if anyone has been told top 60 or 70?? I e-mailed Nelson and he told me I was in the top 1/3...again! Anyway, I figure that can mean anything from 50 to 82. However It likely means 70's. Boo.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was top of the middle third last year, and I got in in December this year. It's definitely possible. I did not do anything to really improve as I was already working full time before applying, but Nelson will give you things that you can do to strengthen your application if he thinks you need it. Good luck to everyone!

Good to hear. I called Mr. Strother and he told me just to keep doing what I'm doing and apply again next year. Did you completely redo your AMCAS? The personal statement was a pain in the ass the first time, I really don't want to completely revamp it unless I have to.

I've heard zilch. Either UT forgot me or my mailman is trying to ruin my life. He's delivered mail on car windshields before, so I'm thinking my mail is on a wall a la Robin Williams in 1hr Photo.

Congrats to those of you accepted and the top waitlist folk!

Good to hear. I called Mr. Strother and he told me just to keep doing what I'm doing and apply again next year. Did you completely redo your AMCAS? The personal statement was a pain in the ass the first time, I really don't want to completely revamp it unless I have to.

I did not change the entire direction of my personal statement, but I updated it to make it more current.

VitalArmor: Thanks for the congrats.

SnoopDoc23: I don't think the suggestions in bold mean anything conclusive with regard to rank on the waitlist. I'm in the top 50 but was still given a recommendation (take more science classes, especially upper div or graduate bio).

VitalArmor: Thanks for the congrats.

SnoopDoc23: I don't think the suggestions in bold mean anything conclusive with regard to rank on the waitlist. I'm in the top 50 but was still given a recommendation (take more science classes, especially upper div or graduate bio).
I dont know what to say about that recommendation but thats what they gave me..I now have over 200 hours in science and mostly A's. Still top 1/3, this year and last. Anyway, dont mean to be a downer but it did not work for me. However it is always good to do what they suggest.

I dont know what to say about that recommendation but thats what they gave me..I now have over 200 hours in science and mostly A's. Still top 1/3, this year and last. Anyway, dont mean to be a downer but it did not work for me. However it is always good to do what they suggest.

I think my situation might be fairly unique. Except for my prerequisite year of biology and year of organic chemistry (both taken this last year), all my science coursework was from about 15 years ago as part of my undergraduate engineering education. My science GPA from back then was not stellar by any means. So, they likely want to see how I'll do in some challenging bio science classes.

I think my situation might be fairly unique. Except for my prerequisite year of biology and year of organic chemistry (both taken this last year), all my science coursework was from about 15 years ago as part of my undergraduate engineering education. My science GPA from back then was not stellar by any means. So, they likely want to see how I'll do in some challenging bio science classes.
Yeah it does sound like your situation is unique, best of luck. I am sure you will do fine.:)

I was bottom half of the waitlist so I'm in the boat of working on my application for next year. If a spot is still open I'm going on a medical mission trip in May. This may be a good suggestion for quick things that look good on the app. I also have my fair share of questions as to how the reapplication process works. I'm also committed to working my summer job and trying to balance all of these activities may get hectic. Any suggestions? Can we list things that we line up for the fall on the AMCAS in June?

Congrats Rocher!! I like how everyone on SDN roots for each other.

Thanks! I was losing hope, it's nice to finally reach my goal. Good luck on the WL at UT. :xf:

Thanks! And like you said, you were going to get in eventually; but it's nice that it's sooner rather than later!

Hi Rocher, Congratulations!!!!! Do you mind sharing your stat? I am a Freshman in TN. Thanks.

Has anyone on the alternate list who has called Nelson Strother been told anything better than "top 50"?

Anyone on here do the special masters programs at Tulane or Georgetown this past year? If so, two questions: did you get accepted for the 2011 class? and when did you hear that you got accepted?

So I am guessing a top 50 would mean 41-50...? Who knows. It's just hard not to think about it. Applying to medical school = waiting waiting then more waiting.

Well, usually the top 50 and maybe a couple more get in, so if you are top 50 or 40...no worries, make sure you have your fafsa in for UT. :) I still want to know if anyone has been told top 60?

Hey guys

Congrats to all those on the wait list who are looking like they will have a seat in next years class; and to the ones on the fence, i wish you the best and will be pulling for a lot of movement. For me it is back to MCAT review so i can pull my score up to become a more competitive candidate. I want to offer some advice to re-applicants that has really helped me thus far.

When my friends and family learned of the news, they were quick to offer their support. "Everything happens for a reason." There seems to be an unwritten law that the expected response to this lukewarm platitude is to nod sincerely, as if considering something deep or philosophical, smile and say, "thanks, you're absolutely right." This overused attempt at consolation got me thinking, "Well what was the reason I was not accepted to medical school?"

Med schools have earned the reputation as being one of the most difficult graduate schools to get into, and with good reason. Becoming a doctor is a hard, long, expensive road. This is why when I read the forum and see a post that someone just learned they were accepted I can't feel anything but excited for them. We have all put in countless hours towards our dream of one day becoming a practicing physician, whether we were accepted or not. The point is, everyone here who has applied to medical school has started the journey of becoming a doctor. I know that I will not be attending med school next year, but I am one year closer to becoming a doctor. The hard work and dedication that is required does not begin nor end with med school, so keep the pedal down because we all have a long and exciting road ahead. No idea who said this, nonetheless, still wanted to share:

"Some of the most amazing doctors I know, the ones who've started clinics for the underserved and reached out from their hearts to help others, didn't do all that well on the MCAT. Maybe because they had to work so hard to become a doctor, they work that much harder as a doctor."

And that is all i got. See you on the radio.

Anyone on here do the special masters programs at Tulane or Georgetown this past year? If so, two questions: did you get accepted for the 2011 class? and when did you hear that you got accepted?

I got accepted into both programs, but I instead elected to do a Masters in Pharmacology from Georgetown. I applied in September, got accepted in March.

* I applied to UTHSC in September, and was admitted to the 2011 Class at UTHSC in March.

Last edited:
When I emailed Strother he stated that I was in a good position for the Out Of State list. Did anyone know there was a separate list for OOS applicants/enlighten me on this?

When I emailed Strother he stated that I was in a good position for the Out Of State list. Did anyone know there was a separate list for OOS applicants/enlighten me on this?

I'm in the same boat. He told me I was still in the hunt but he didn't give me any type of ranking so I have no idea what that means or what to expect.

Sent my withdrawal e-mail to Nelson and received a very nice confirmation email yesterday. Just wanted to say that I was very impressed with Tennessee. Nelson was a wonderful host that made the day really enjoyable. One of my interviews was with Dr. Suttle which, honestly, was one of the highlights of my interview trail. I was afforded the opportunity to interview at quite a few schools and Dr. Suttle was probably my favorite interviewer...I could have spent the whole day speaking with him. I feel pretty lucky to have been offered a spot as OOS and hope it goes to one of you SDNers! Good luck!

Yeah I knew about the OOS waitlist from last year as I was on it. They can't really make one list because due to state funding UT can only take a max of 10% of their students from out of state. So the only way that an out of stater at this point will get pulled of the list is if an out of state student drops their spot and assuming they don't decide to fill that spot with someone from instate. Just because they can take 10% out of state doesn't mean they will. I feel for you having been in your spot last year.

Sent my withdrawal e-mail to Nelson and received a very nice confirmation email yesterday. Just wanted to say that I was very impressed with Tennessee. Nelson was a wonderful host that made the day really enjoyable. One of my interviews was with Dr. Suttle which, honestly, was one of the highlights of my interview trail. I was afforded the opportunity to interview at quite a few schools and Dr. Suttle was probably my favorite interviewer...I could have spent the whole day speaking with him. I feel pretty lucky to have been offered a spot as OOS and hope it goes to one of you SDNers! Good luck!

Good luck wherever you go! :luck:
Thanks for withdrawing before the deadline :thumbup:

Is the school underwater? The flooding looks pretty bad out there. My thoughts to everyone in the Memphis area.

No, the school has not been affected by any flooding.

Yeah I knew about the OOS waitlist from last year as I was on it. They can't really make one list because due to state funding UT can only take a max of 10% of their students from out of state. So the only way that an out of stater at this point will get pulled of the list is if an out of state student drops their spot and assuming they don't decide to fill that spot with someone from instate. Just because they can take 10% out of state doesn't mean they will. I feel for you having been in your spot last year.

Thanks waitlist22. Is pretty safe to assume that for those of us on the OOS waitlist don't have much of a shot?

Thanks waitlist22. Is pretty safe to assume that for those of us on the OOS waitlist don't have much of a shot?
The OOS wait list is much shorter than the in state wait list. Also, when an OOS student drops they go down the list of OOS until they get a taker. They typically do NOT replace an OOS with an in-state student.

Status
Not open for further replies.