2011-2012 Loma Linda Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry if this was already discussed......When is orientation? :D

So, can everyone who didn't get a phone call on Friday pretty much assume it's waitlist or rejection? Or will they do another round of phone calls?

So, can everyone who didn't get a phone call on Friday pretty much assume it's waitlist or rejection? Or will they do another round of phone calls?

^^ Does anyone have some inside info?

Congrats to everyone who were accepted! :thumbup:

Edit: I also have a question as well. Does anyone know or have info about the bio-med program and how it works? Also... Do the students that were selected for bio-med count towards the matriculation stats on MSAR? (I am guessing no for the 2nd question but thought I'd ask)

@centraldogma, teeheehee and Tstunts

Would you guys mind sharing your interview dates?

Just curious as to see where they are in terms of applications.

Members don't see this ad :)
i know someone in the biomed program right now. hes taking a couple classes with the med students (and i think a few others?). the idea is that if you get above the program average, youre in. if you dont, then youre done as far as llu is concerned. dont know much else about the program though.

i interviewed early september (when llu visited my school) and my was file complete late december.

Thanks for the info.

Do you know (or anyone else) if they were offered the bio-med position while they were on the waiting list? I am assuming they got interviewed just like everybody else, right?

I also wonder if these positions go to SDA students who they liked but didn't have room for them at the time but showed some kind of promise in the interview or on paper.

the guy i know didn't actually apply to med school (or at least he withdrew right after he got his score) and just applied to the biomed one. but i've heard they offer spots to med school applicants too.

LOL. They just offered me a spot for that biomed program. Probably see you in August. :xf:

Good luck to the rest of you.

Pretty sure the thread will soon explode with "got wait-listed" posts. :)

LOL. They just offered me a spot for that biomed program. Probably see you in August. :xf:

Good luck to the rest of you.

Pretty sure the thread will soon explode with "got wait-listed" posts. :)

Awesome congrats! Get ready to kick ass. I assume a good performance will lead to an automatic acceptance?

Awesome congrats! Get ready to kick ass. I assume a good performance will lead to an automatic acceptance?

Thanks!

Friends have told me that's how it works. They say "above average" is the minimum so pretty much no screw-ups or excuses at this point. Only pain is that it's another application process. lol.

I guess I don't get in right away but I will be doing something productive towards my goal.

Does anyone know if last friday was the last round of calls for acceptance?

Yay! thats not too shabby at all. my friend who's in it says it was a blessing in disguise and that he definitely would have had to repeat 1st year if he had gotten in. (not trying to imply anything about you at all!) im guessing it would also give people a really solid foundation and allow them to do better when it "counts."

Well, I am sure they had doubts about me and wanted me to prove that I can handle the workload.

So is your friend doing well in the program? Your friend sounds like he/she is doing fine. I just wonder what its going to take to get a 80+% on a test in a medical school class. Thats what they are asking for.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SDN Mobile

Last year as in fall of 2010? This new year thing really throws me off balance lol. The biomed program is not that bad of an alternative. Every single biomed student who attended class with me during MS1 was able to secure an acceptance for the following year. It sucks to have to wait, but it's better than abandoning your dream about that MD completely! And those who did it say it really further helps/solidifies a good foundation for Step I, MS2, etc

If this is true about these students, then that would be awesome. I was already a non-trad applicant so another year of hard work is nothing at this point. This post definitely made me feel better about this program and my chances. :thumbup:

As I keep digging for more info about this program, I find more and more good things about it. :)

If this is true about these students, then that would be awesome. I was already a non-trad applicant so another year of hard work is nothing at this point. This post definitely made me feel better about this program and my chances. :thumbup:

As I keep digging for more info about this program, I find more and more good things about it. :)

I know a couple of people who did the biomed program for the school of dentistry and they had a similar experience. It sounds like they want you to succeed in these programs :)

mightymoose!

how did they let you know you got offered that program? did they call/snailmail/email?

Did you need to apply for the biomed program or was it just an unsolicited invitation?

Did you need to apply for the biomed program or was it just an unsolicited invitation?

1. You have to do another application process for biomed which is what I am doing right now. I was applying for med thru AMCAS just like everyone else.

2. The letter didnt really give me much choice. I didnt make it to waitlist so they offered me a spot for the program. Gave me detailed instruction and description about why the program is a good alternative choice for me.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SDN Mobile

Do you mean you applied to the loma linda med school through AMCAS and in return they sent you offered for you to apply to their biomed program?

Do you mean you applied to the loma linda med school through AMCAS and in return they sent you offered for you to apply to their biomed program?

Yeah applied through AMCAS (just like everybody else), interviewed and turned down (meaning no wait list) but is "among a select group of applicants who have been invited to apply for this program" (in quotes is from the actual letter) Therefore, I am now applying for that program now. (the letter instructed me to apply separately for this program)

(Note: Anyone can apply for that program but I think they usually give it to students that they select from the med-school applicant pool.)

I've already spoken with a person from the program (who is going through it right now) so I am 100% sure I will take this invitation for the program. :) She seemed pretty happy that she did it.

Just received a letter in the mail saying that I am placed on an unranked alternate list, and that acceptances may be offered b/w the present and registration day August 2nd.

Just got a letter for the waitlist too. Anyone have any idea how long the waitlist is and how many get off? It can't been too long because they interview so few people.

If you get accepted from being waitlisted, do you have an option to defer for one year?

If you get accepted from being waitlisted, do you have an option to defer for one year?

Pretty sure if you're accepted after April you don't have the option to defer, but I'd call the admissions office to make sure.

In the alternate list letter it stated that there can be no deferments for anyone accepted after April 12, 2012.

Maybe it's different for those that were accepted in the last round (April 13, 2012) because you received a phone call, but I'm not sure, the letter said April 12, 2012, so hopefully If you want to defer you will be able to.

Do you know an unranked waitlist works?

I was placed on an unranked waitlist also about 3 days ago. I'm curious because unranked obviously means that its a rolling wait list. People who got waitlisted first have the highest priority, which sucks. But I'm confused because they must not have that large of a waiting list if they interview about 170 people (OOS and IS each) and accept around 80. That means with denials, which I'm guessing are around 40-50 out of the 170, there are about 30-40 waitlisted. Since the class must have just filled up recently I feel like they are just starting to send out their wait list. So if they do it pretty much all at once is it just ranked on your interview date? If someone has any more information or my logic is incorrect please tell me haha.

I'm guessing this because no one has said anything about being waitlisted before a couple of days ago on this thread :D

I was placed on an unranked waitlist also about 3 days ago. I'm curious because unranked obviously means that its a rolling wait list. People who got waitlisted first have the highest priority, which sucks. But I'm confused because they must not have that large of a waiting list if they interview about 170 people (OOS and IS each) and accept around 80. That means with denials, which I'm guessing are around 40-50 out of the 170, there are about 30-40 waitlisted. Since the class must have just filled up recently I feel like they are just starting to send out their wait list. So if they do it pretty much all at once is it just ranked on your interview date? If someone has any more information or my logic is incorrect please tell me haha.

I'm guessing this because no one has said anything about being waitlisted before a couple of days ago on this thread :D

LLU has 160-175 spots according to MSAR
My state school's dean of admissions stated that they generally admit twice the number of available spots due to decisions on multiple acceptances.
I remember vaguely that May 15th is the last day to hold multiple acceptances. That would mean that wait lists across the country may move quickly around that time. LLU is unique so there may be less movement than average (pure speculation partly due to my love for this school... I just can't imagine going anywhere else of already accepted here). I can't say how deep the movement on the wait list will be but at least the bulk of movement may happen mid May.

My $0.02.

Does anyone know if any post-interview rejections have gone out yet? Thanks!

I called admissions to ask how the unranked waitlist worked, and was told that applications are reviewed as spots open. She said there was no priority system as in a ranked waitlist. I'm wondering if there is at least a group of students set aside because re-reviewing applications each time is tedious.

There have been a few numbers listed on here, and I'm wondering if anyone else has any guesses for the number of students interviewed?

Yep it's around wait list time... Good luck to you guys still waiting! And congrats to the newly accepted! And if anybody out there has secured an acceptance to the biomed program, don't push it aside just because it's not the "real thing" yet. Last year, all the biomeds secured a full acceptance! It's a year longer to that MD, but it's a really good step! Plus you will be that much more prepared by having taken all 1st year med school classes before you actually start med school!

Are any current 1st yrs. interested in selling their books :xf:

Heard of any waitlist movement yet?

What could it most likely mean if I haven't received a rejection letter, but no waitlist letter either? Would I still be considered to be in the "rolling admissions" category? I called the other day and they said that no decision has yet been made on my application, but should hear something by the end of June. Do you guys think this is a good sign or a bad sign?Does anyone know of anyone who has been in this position in the past?

If you are waitlisted, how long do you have to wait to see if you are accepted or rejected? When all the spots are filled and confirmed, do they eventually send a rejection letter for those who are waitlisted?

Did anyone receive a call regarding a scholarship offer?

Withdrawing from LLU. Wonderful school, but I've decided it's just not for me.

Withdrawing from LLU. Wonderful school, but I've decided it's just not for me.

Thanks for letting us know. I'm on the waitlist... /fingers crossed ....doh! I mean, /hands together in prayer.... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.