2011-2012 Loma Linda Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys. I'm a non-SDA Christian, I was complete in November, and I still haven't received an interview invite. Should I be worried? Will they let me know if I've been rejected without an interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys. I'm a non-SDA Christian, I was complete in November, and I still haven't received an interview invite. Should I be worried? Will they let me know if I've been rejected without an interview?

I'm kind of in the same boat, only to realize it took a while for my app to get complete. Still, I say stay on top of them. Express interest. Get on the map. Ask them if you're missing anything or if there's anything you can do. Don't be annoying about it, but just kind of remind them you still exist. I'm calling tomorrow :) all is not lost yet! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if there are many SDA's that have yet to get an acceptance? Also, Does anyone know roughly how many spots are left around this time (I know, it's still fairly early, but I'm just wondering)? Thanks!

Did all applicants receive the financial aid link?

I believe so. Are all applicants given a LLU ID number? I was given one and was wondering if this is an indication of anything...

I believe so. Are all applicants given a LLU ID number? I was given one and was wondering if this is an indication of anything...

i have an ID number too but no email address...don't think it means anything though

Can someone help me with my chances at LLU.
I have 3.73 overall GPA , 3.57 Sci GPA. SDA.
I have great Volunteer and Leadership positions + shadowing about 150hrs.
working in research for the Past 3 yrs and will be an author on several papers.

I haven`t taken the Mcat yet but I came to US not to long ago and I expect my verbal to be a bit below average:(.

My opinion means nothing because I'm obviously not on admissions but I think your in a great position. Study hard and rock the test....start practicing verbal with examkrackers and lsat verbal reasoning material, it helped me!

Can someone help me with my chances at LLU.
I have 3.73 overall GPA , 3.57 Sci GPA. SDA.
I have great Volunteer and Leadership positions + shadowing about 150hrs.
working in research for the Past 3 yrs and will be an author on several papers.

I haven`t taken the Mcat yet but I came to US not to long ago and I expect my verbal to be a bit below average:(.
I think your stats are competitive enough to apply, especially if you like LLU, I say go for it. For the verbal section, if you have a few months from now until the test, try doing about 1-2 passages every day and maybe once a week take a full length practice verbal section. Verbal is definitely tough but I'm sure you will see results with practice. I recommend getting books from exam crackers to help you with verbal. Kaplan is also a good source for practice passages. Good luck :)!

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if there are many SDA's that have yet to get an acceptance? Also, Does anyone know roughly how many spots are left around this time (I know, it's still fairly early, but I'm just wondering)? Thanks!

I'd love the know the answer, too!

There are still about 5-10 left here at SAU that haven't heard anything. Nine have gotten accepted so far, including one on Friday.

thedoctr8076 said:
Check out the Loma Linda trading post:

http://www.llu.edu/news/trading-post/index.page

It usually has pretty good info on apartments, used furniture, roommate situations, etc. I found my appartment from one of its listings, and I couldn't have been happier!

Thanks for this! Do you know if the ads in there are usually for upcoming fall or for more immediate housing needs?

I'm Interviewing at Loma Linda tomorrow and I'm getting anxious :(. I've heard they are very nice and that the interview is pretty relaxed so I am looking forward to it. I'm currently staying with a 1st year medical student there with the homestay program. I would highly recommend it if you are interviewing. They shelter you for free and they even cooked me dinner and showed me around campus. I feel pretty fortunate. Now I just have to nail this interview! I will repost about certain interview questions and let you guys know how long it takes them to get back to me.

I'm Interviewing at Loma Linda tomorrow and I'm getting anxious :(. I've heard they are very nice and that the interview is pretty relaxed so I am looking forward to it. I'm currently staying with a 1st year medical student there with the homestay program. I would highly recommend it if you are interviewing. They shelter you for free and they even cooked me dinner and showed me around campus. I feel pretty fortunate. Now I just have to nail this interview! I will repost about certain interview questions and let you guys know how long it takes them to get back to me.
Good luck! Remember be confident, stay calm and you will do great! It will go by quicker than you expect :)

Members don't see this ad :)
There are still about 5-10 left here at SAU that haven't heard anything. Nine have gotten accepted so far, including one on Friday.

Thanks for this! Do you know if the ads in there are usually for upcoming fall or for more immediate housing needs?

Ah SAU seems to be beating us AGAIN! we have about 6 LSU acceptances, with maybe 5 (including me) still waiting! Let's see how this works out in a few months!

Good luck on your interview, Drownage! :) :luck:

Those are current listings, so what's there is up for grabs now! Meaning if you wanted to hold something you found now, unfortunately you'd probably have to pay. There is always stuff available though, so even if you waited a bit until it was closer to when you are going to move out here, there will more than likely be something suitable.

Good luck!! They are so chill, you will do great! :luck:

Hey guys,

Anyone know how many interview dates are left and when they are? Would supremely appreciate this information :D

Hello everyone

I was recently accepted to Loma Linda and I had a few questions for any current students.

1. Does llu curriculum have any clinical immersion built in for 1st and 2nd year students? Or do students just pursue this on their own?

2. Is PBL a big part of the curriculum?

3. Can a med student also take undergrad classes or chose to do an MPH as well?

This info would really help me with my decision. I love the community and environment at loma linda but i've also been wowed with a the curriculum at another school. It's making this one a tough choice to make.

Hello everyone

I was recently accepted to Loma Linda and I had a few questions for any current students.

1. Does llu curriculum have any clinical immersion built in for 1st and 2nd year students? Or do students just pursue this on their own?

This info would really help me with my decision. I love the community and environment at loma linda but i've also been wowed with a the curriculum at another school. It's making this one a tough choice to make.

Hi Summermitz, I'll do my best to try and answer your questions!

1. Yes, there are clinical experiences built into the curriculum at LLU. The first two weeks of school, before you even begin classes, are deveoted to a class called "orientation to medicine" which is basically clinical rotations for 1st years. You get assigned to a 3rd or 4th year med student, or sometimes even a resident or attending, who will then teach you what they can about their specialty (or rotation if it's a student). This requirement is then repeated at the end of MS-1, where 4 weeks will be spent doing the same thing, with 2 weeks of the 4 spent on different rotations. For example, I did EM for 2 weeks at the beginning, followed by Peds for 2 weeks then surgery for 2 weeks. Surgery was pretty cool, I was able to scrub in and the attending let me make tiny cuts here and there, nothing huge, but to a recently finished MS1, I felt pretty badass! And no these aren't just shadowing opportunities; though you aren't expected to know much of anything, you do get graded on participation and by how you tried to learn all you could without any formal training.

During your sophmore year, you are required to participate in what they call "continuity clinic." Basically you will be assigned to a random clinic and or specialty in the area, through which you will do a "rotation." This is to kind of show you how continuity in medicine works, as you will see a lot of the same patients throughout the year. Right now I am working in the VA hospital in the internal medicine clinic. I work for 4 hours in the afternoon with an attending. At this point you will know most of the basic physical exam skills and how to take a proper history, so the attendings expect you to be adept and will require you to do it for them. Again this is an active participation thing, so you will be graded. It's a smaller portion of the pathophysiology course.

These have been really good experiences for me! And on top of the clinical experience, you will have regular simulation experiences in the new simulation center of Loma Linda's Centennial Complex (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXY_VtEhTNI if you haven't seen it; it's pretty cool), that are really good at teaching true-to-life pharmacology and patient managing skills. And if you want more clinical time, it's SUPER easy to get involved with a volunteer clinic such as SACHS, and lots of physicians around here love med students so shadowing is really easy to come by too. And I don't know if this counts as clinical time, but you even spend a day with a pathology attending, with the requirenment of assisting in an autopsy (mine was really heart breaking, but interesting, a murder case that showed how forensics is involved with medicine).

2. Yes, PBL is a BIG part of the curriculum, especially 2nd year. During 1st year, you will take a course called Evidence Based Medicine (EBM): LLU's fancy name for bio-statistics. You meet weekly as a group with a faculty moderator, working through case studies. The basic point of this particular exercise is to learn how to develop an effective treatment plan based on current research, etc.

During 2nd year, PBL's are known as "TBLs" (team based learning). You are assigned a group at the beginning of the year, and this group of 5 or 6 will work together for the entire year. Almost every subject has multiple formal TBL sessions: neuroscience, microbiology, pathology, etc etc. Pathology has the most and they've been really helpful. It's daunting to some as you usually get pimped pretty hard by the faculty moderator, and if you didn't do any preparation it really shows. I actually kind of like them because it forces me to stay on top of the material haha.

3. Yes, LLU offers an MD/MPH program, though I'm really not sure of the specifics. Give the admissions office a call at (909) 558-4467 and I'm sure they could answer any questions for you! Besides that a complete list of all med schools offering MD/MPH can be found here: https://www.aamc.org/students/mdmph/

Sorry that was long but hope it helped! Any other questions just ask! :)

Last edited:
Did anyone who called the admissions office have any luck getting info on the status of their application post interview? I interviewed in early February and didn't hear anything on Friday, so I'm really hoping that doesn't mean I'm out of the running yet.

Thank you thedoctor8706. Your response really helped. I interviewed back in november and I don't remember the school placing that much emphasis on their curriculum, which seems very comparable to most other schools. I definitely love the community at loma linda so this decision just became a no-brainer :)

Does anyone know if there is a facebook page for the class of 2016 as yet?

Thank you thedoctor8706. Your response really helped. I interviewed back in november and I don't remember the school placing that much emphasis on their curriculum, which seems very comparable to most other schools. I definitely love the community at loma linda so this decision just became a no-brainer :)

Does anyone know if there is a facebook page for the class of 2016 as yet?

Congrats! I think you made an amazing decision :)

Hello everyone

You can do an MD/MPH if you want. It's pretty well integrated. I am in the MD/MA Bioethics program. It's an extra year and the 1st year religion classes are traded for master's level ethics stuff. I love it. Great opportunity, and I know the MD/MA program offers a scholarship for the extra year.

Honestly though, not sure why you would want to take undergrad courses. The class load is pretty intense (it is medical school).

Hi all. I have an interview on Thursday and was just wondering where I should park. I'm driving out from Los Angeles.

Hi all. I have an interview on Thursday and was just wondering where I should park. I'm driving out from Los Angeles.

Lot X, the big lot behind the Centennial Complex. You can't miss it. Not sure when you plan on arriving, but that lot tends to fill up after 8 AM, so best of luck! Make sure there are no signs designating faculty parking... The parking ticket people are crazy out here.

are they still giving out interview invitations? feel as though i should give up on this school...

are they still giving out interview invitations? feel as though i should give up on this school...

Same here...are they even sending interview invites out anymore? silent rejection??

Called today. I bet I was their first caller haha 8:01 am ftw :) Amy informed me that application files are still under review for the upcoming acceptance cycles. Fingers crossed!

Same here...are they even sending interview invites out anymore? silent rejection??

If March passes without word, then you can start feeling nervous. Stuff goes out in April too, but it's usually pretty rare to have interview invites after March. :luck:

If March passes without word, then you can start feeling nervous. Stuff goes out in April too, but it's usually pretty rare to have interview invites after March. :luck:

sigh, here's hoping I hear something in the next few weeks.

a friend of mine got an interview invite first week of march, interviewed the week after, and accepted the friday after that. it was epic!:cool:

If you get an interview invite this late, is it recommended that we just take the whatever earliest date they have available??

I just thought I would like to at least have some breathing room (2 weeks) to clear out my schedule and mentally prepare for the interview. (I wanted to visit the campus beforehand since I've never done that after they built the new building AND speak to med school friends/undergrad professors about the interview.) But berries over here is saying that her friend got the invite and was asked to come to an interview the week after..? That sounds kinda rushed?

Plus, I heard that they send another thing (packet??) in the mail that has detailed information about the interview date and campus information. Anyone know what they exactly send out once you call for the interview date over the phone.

Either way, I guess I can't ask for much since it's already March and I am pretty sure they decide on things around May, right? :xf: I also wonder how many spots they still have left. :eek:

If you get an interview invite this late, is it recommended that we just take the whatever earliest date they have available??

I just thought I would like to at least have some breathing room (2 weeks) to clear out my schedule and mentally prepare for the interview. (I wanted to visit the campus beforehand since I've never done that after they built the new building AND speak to med school friends/undergrad professors about the interview.) But berries over here is saying that her friend got the invite and was asked to come to an interview the week after..? That sounds kinda rushed?

Plus, I heard that they send another thing (packet??) in the mail that has detailed information about the interview date and campus information. Anyone know what they exactly send out once you call for the interview date over the phone.

Either way, I guess I can't ask for much since it's already March and I am pretty sure they decide on things around May, right? :xf: I also wonder how many spots they still have left. :eek:

Personally, I would try to interview as early as soon as possible. When I was invited, they had me give them four dates I would be available to interview, and then they called me back scheduling me for one of those dates. A few days later I received a package in the mail that confirmed my interview date, and provided information on accommodations and parking. Good luck!

Any word yet moose?

I agree with Pat. I personally would schedule an interview ASAP. Sooner the better :)

Personally, I would try to interview as early as soon as possible. When I was invited, they had me give them four dates I would be available to interview, and then they called me back scheduling me for one of those dates. A few days later I received a package in the mail that confirmed my interview date, and provided information on accommodations and parking. Good luck!

Thanks Pat for ur response.

How long did they take to call back? lol.

sorry about the questions.

Btw how did your interview go?

Thanks Pat for ur response.

How long did they take to call back? lol.

sorry about the questions.

Btw how did your interview go?

If I remember correctly, the turnaround was less than a week for admissions to call me back with an interview date.

I thought my interview went well. As a non-SDA applicant I was afraid they would theologically grill me, but it turned out to be very conversational and not intimidating at all. There were two interviews, one with a physician and the other with a PhD. It seemed to me like both really just wanted to see if I could mesh well with the school's mission and its lifestyle.

I interviewed on February 7...just wondering if anyone's heard anything back from admissions yet.

I am planning to apply to LLU in the future. Is the ethics or religion course a requirement for Loma Linda or just recommended? It's not in the box with the main requirements. The site says religion or ethics course (as required by college attended). What does that mean? My institution did not require either of these courses.

Also for the essay regarding religious involvement can you write about non-church related activities? For example, would volunteering for a christian based ministry for the homeless count as religious involvement. I am also involved in Children Liturgy of the Word at my parish, but I haven't accumulated many hours.

For current LLU students or accepted applicants, I am just curious the process that happens after an applicant gets accepted. Like,

1. Do they require any other documents besides official transcripts?
2. What kind of a background check takes place? And is there anything you have to do to prepare for it or release information?
3. Do you send a deposit to hold the spot in the class via postal mail?

Thanks alot!

For current LLU students or accepted applicants, I am just curious the process that happens after an applicant gets accepted. Like,

1. Do they require any other documents besides official transcripts?
2. What kind of a background check takes place? And is there anything you have to do to prepare for it or release information?
3. Do you send a deposit to hold the spot in the class via postal mail?

Thanks alot!

1. I am not sure.

2. I think the only background check is the one from Certifi (most schools use this), which will have the release forms sent to you through e-mail.

3. You pay a $100 deposit online, which is convenient.

I was just accepted in January, so I am not 100% sure on everything. Did you interview recently? If so, good luck!

I am planning to apply to LLU in the future. Is the ethics or religion course a requirement for Loma Linda or just recommended? It's not in the box with the main requirements. The site says religion or ethics course (as required by college attended). What does that mean? My institution did not require either of these courses.

Also for the essay regarding religious involvement can you write about non-church related activities? For example, would volunteering for a christian based ministry for the homeless count as religious involvement. I am also involved in Children Liturgy of the Word at my parish, but I haven't accumulated many hours.

I still think it's silly they put that in their requirements section. Basically if you have to do it to graduate, well, do it! And if not, don't worry about it. So basically just try to graduate and you are good to go.

That would definitely count as religious involvement. That section on my app I basically briefly wrote about how I was involved in a praise band and volunteered with a local ministry. Some simply put that they attended church in that section. And if you don't have any thing to write, you don't have to go into detail. Hope that helps!

1. I am not sure.

2. I think the only background check is the one from Certifi (most schools use this), which will have the release forms sent to you through e-mail.

3. You pay a $100 deposit online, which is convenient.

I was just accepted in January, so I am not 100% sure on everything. Did you interview recently? If so, good luck!

Thanks for the response. I interviewed in December and still have not heard anything. After you sign the release forms, is info gathered from your college as well or is it just a regular criminal backgrpound check?

When did you interview btw?

I interviewed on Feb. 22nd and haven't heard anything. Has anyone tried calling admissions to find out when decisions are rendered usually? I feel like they wouldn't tell you very much. But I'm getting impatient because my hope basically lies in this school lol. Good luck to everyone else!

Thanks for the response. I interviewed in December and still have not heard anything. After you sign the release forms, is info gathered from your college as well or is it just a regular criminal backgrpound check?

When did you interview btw?

I interviewed back in December as well

I interviewed on Feb. 22nd and haven't heard anything. Has anyone tried calling admissions to find out when decisions are rendered usually? I feel like they wouldn't tell you very much. But I'm getting impatient because my hope basically lies in this school lol. Good luck to everyone else!

Acceptance calls usually go out the 3rd Friday of each month. I got mine on the 3rd Friday of January.

Best of luck!

I interviewed back in December as well

Acceptance calls usually go out the 3rd Friday of each month. I got mine on the 3rd Friday of January.

Best of luck!

Alright then so this Friday is the day... Now I'm even more nervous. Thanks though bro!

Alright then so this Friday is the day... Now I'm even more nervous. Thanks though bro!

I think the 3rd Friday of this month is next week. I feel like the week of Friday, March 2nd belonged to last month

I think the 3rd Friday of this month is next week. I feel like the week of Friday, March 2nd belonged to last month
This month is actually similar to last December and my friend got accepted Friday the 16th so am sure if acceptances go out every third Friday, this Friday would be the day our faith would be decided, mine included.:scared:

Status
Not open for further replies.