2011-2012 Tufts Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did other people who interviewed this month receive an email today asking you to update your contact info? Is this standard practice or could there be some hidden meaning behind it? Way too neurotic...:laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Did other people who interviewed this month receive an email today asking you to update your contact info? Is this standard practice or could there be some hidden meaning behind it? Way too neurotic...:laugh:

My friend got that right before he got accepted, FWIW

Does Tufts actually waitlist people, or is deferred their stand-in for that?

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview invite!!! I am ecstatic!!

OOS 3.6 31Q
Secondary received on: july 15
secondary submitted on: august 9
new MCAT score: august 30
Complete on: august 31
interview invite: october 25
this is unreal!!!

Haha just like me! I re-read that email too many times. But since it said it will be mailing (at the end of this week) ALL applicants who interviewed in October, I guessed this wasn't a hidden message... Bah it would make my year if I got a big fat YES from Tufts...

I also wonder if we will then be getting an email at the end of this week too??? I live in Boston so snail-mail shouldn't take long to get here, but...

Interview Invite! They are scheduling for the first week in November and there are also dates throughout the month.

Congrats to everyone with an interview and good luck to everyone still waiting!

x

Last edited:
Invite today! Complete 8/31.

Earliest date I could schedule was December 1.

Invite today! Complete 8/31.

Earliest date I could schedule was December 1.

Seems that all those complete on Aug 31st received invites today. Are they going in order?

Seems that all those complete on Aug 31st received invites today. Are they going in order?

I was complete on 8/31 and I haven't received one so I'm hoping not! :scared:

To those who've already interviewed: Around what time did your interview finish? And can someone give a rough outline of the interview day itinerary (unless there's one that I haven't received or know about).

thanks

To those who've already interviewed: Around what time did your interview finish? And can someone give a rough outline of the interview day itinerary (unless there's one that I haven't received or know about).

thanks

i think this is on the web too, but:

10am-noon: bunch of presentations/information sessions
noon-1pm: lunch

then at 1pm, you were either interviewing or touring. For me, I had my interviews first, so ~20-30min interview at 1pm, then again at 1:50pm. Tour began at 2:40pm. I think the tour guys (the people who had the tour first, before their interviews) came back way before 2:40 though and we had some overlap time (during which Tufts really pitched their combined degree programs). I don't remember exactly when my tour ended, but it probably lasted ~1-1.5 hr. If you had an "early" flight to catch, they ask you at the beginning of the day to see if you need to switch to the first interview block (ie. interview first, then tour).

Does anyone know how long they take to let us know their decision? I looked online and it said it was taken in the first 2 weeks of the subsequent month you had your interview..thats a bit too long considering i interview on december 8th..

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview invite this morning. Submitted 8/2 and complete 8/31.

When I just looked at available interview dates it looked like all over November was booked and the earliest date was beginning of December.

That's weird...I just booked one for mid-November, and there were dates available as early as November 1st...

x

Last edited:
I honestly thought I was getting a rejection when I saw an email from them! I have been complete since 7/26 so I figured anywhere I haven't heard from was a lost cause. Anyways, OOS 30/3.86/3.92

Weird, maybe they're releasing different dates to different people. Definitely nothing available in November when I look.

I looked on my phone at work this afternoon and dates were available starting Nov. 3. Just got home to book my interview and the first available was Jan. 3!! :eek:

Weird, maybe they're releasing different dates to different people. Definitely nothing available in November when I look.

I think it might be the case that the November dates filled up in those 2 or 3 hours before we saw our invites. I checked a couple of hours after I scheduled mine and saw that most of the December dates are now full too.

They probably released tons of invites today. Sigh. Was anyone complete after 9/15?

Did any of the interview recipients send an email for the request for student host program?
Also, if anyone from November interviews wants to switch to December (I know, there are less chances of that happening), I call dibs--> PM me if you want to do that :D

Does anyone know if Tufts is receptive to pre-interview invitation update letters?

I was complete 9/22 and haven't heard anything...but I think one of my friends complete later has already heard back. So...it may be that the really good one's are being looked at quickly and the rest are just in order.

I was complete 9/22 and haven't heard anything...but I think one of my friends complete later has already heard back. So...it may be that the really good one's are being looked at quickly and the rest are just in order.

That sounds pretty logical, alot of schools do things this way

Does anyone know if Tufts is receptive to pre-interview invitation update letters?

Don't quote me on this, but I think they're pretty receptive to update letters. I'm a student in the MBS program here (it's tufts' SMP program) and I updated them with my grades in the program half way through.

I didn't update by email though, I just walked up to the admissions office here and asked how they preferred the update and they told me hard copy.

Hope this helps. Worst comes to worst just ask them.

x

Last edited:
Any speculation on when October interviewees will hear back...?

Tufts emailed earlier this week saying that they expect to *mail* out decisions by "the end of this week"... but in my understanding, they are also planning on emailing decisions on top of that! Could we expect to hear something by tomorrow?!

According to this thread, they called people when they offered acceptances earlier in the month. I have no idea if they will continue this throughout the season though.

Hm I feel like they probably call during their first round of Acceptances but then fall back to the more traditional method of written notification...

Has anyone accepted (during that phone call round of acceptances earlier this month!) receive an acceptance notification in the mail??? Is it like in college where you can already tell from a big vs. small envelop??

According to this thread, they called people when they offered acceptances earlier in the month. I have no idea if they will continue this throughout the season though.

I'm a current first-year at Tufts. They call most people who are accepted, although I know a few people who found out via email. Snail mail comes later. Hope this helps!

They call most people who are accepted, although I know a few people who found out via email. Snail mail comes later.

Hm, maybe they are doing it differently this year? I got an email this past Monday (Oct 24) saying that they want us to confirm our mailing address on our website:

.We expect to be mailing letters at the end of this week to all applicants who interviewed with us in October. ..Please be sure your mailing address is the correct address for us to use for a letter sent at this time. .

This mail has not come yet... but I also assumed they haven't already been calling October interviewees with acceptance offers in the past week.

I am planning my trip here. What is the nearest airport? Boston Logan or Manchester? Also, what might be the cheapets/fastest way to get from Tufts to the airport? If the interview ends at 4.15pm, should I book a flight that leaves the city at 5.30pm?

I am planning my trip here. What is the nearest airport? Boston Logan or Manchester? Also, what might be the cheapets/fastest way to get from Tufts to the airport? If the interview ends at 4.15pm, should I book a flight that leaves the city at 5.30pm?
Boston is the closest. About ten minutes from airport to school by taxi. You could take the T (subway just a few dollars) but taking a taxi is very easy and not very expensive (probably under $20). Do not book a 530 plane that is just cutting it way too close. Boston is a very busy airport and security can be lengthy. I wouldn't book anything before 6:30.

Hyperventilating.... do you think October interviewees will hear tomorrow?!?!

Ok. Just studied last year's Tufts thread... :) If this year's schedule will be similar to last year's, I think some lucky interviewees will start getting phone calls by the end of this week... emails sent out early next week (week of Nov7), and mails batched out mid next week. Ahh so I guess we have to wait a bit longer despite the email last Monday.

(same thing seems to have happened last year where the "we'll mail things out at the end of this week" email was sent out ~2 weeks before decisions actually went out...)

Hope this helps calm some people's nerves... did for me haha.

Boston is the closest. About ten minutes from airport to school by taxi. You could take the T (subway just a few dollars) but taking a taxi is very easy and not very expensive (probably under $20). Do not book a 530 plane that is just cutting it way too close. Boston is a very busy airport and security can be lengthy. I wouldn't book anything before 6:30.

Thanks a lot tpsych!

btw, i just changed my interviewer date from december 8th to november 3rd..i kept checking it online if there were any cancellations/openings..so if others want to interview early, keep checking it at least once a day! this will be interesting now that it is such a short notice! lol

SBAKSHI: I think a cab ride will be about $30 (airport surcharges), and during rush hour, it'll take more than 10 min... If I were you, I'd take the T since that costs $2... Take the silver line directly from the airport, go a few stops, then walk 10 min to Tufts. This will take about ~30-40 min though. Don't know how time-pressed you are!

SBAKSHI: I think a cab ride will be about $30 (airport surcharges), and during rush hour, it'll take more than 10 min... If I were you, I'd take the T since that costs $2... Take the silver line directly from the airport, go a few stops, then walk 10 min to Tufts. This will take about ~30-40 min though. Don't know how time-pressed you are!

Thanks a lot ducky. I just booked a ticket on the next day (Friday). I didnt want to deal with any deals and last minute tension. This means that I can explore Boston a bit more! I have never been here.
I have heard that it is known for food. What are Boston's specialties? :D

Thanks a lot ducky. I just booked a ticket on the next day (Friday). I didnt want to deal with any deals and last minute tension. This means that I can explore Boston a bit more! I have never been here.

I strongly recommend checking out Jacob Wirth's if you like burgers...they are right around the corner from Tufts!

Food! I would check out anything seafood - lobster rolls, lobster bisque, clam chowder, oyster bars... etc (Unless you don't like seafood). It's a big thing in Boston.

If you can, check out restaurants in the "North End" (take the green line to the Haymarket, and it's a short walk from there). It's a popular spot where there's like a 1000 Italian restaurants. You can also check out Quincy market (Fenuile hall) where there's a mix of bar-like places and a giant food court -- it's nice to walk around during the day (take the green line to Govt Center for this)...

I strongly recommend checking out Jacob Wirth's if you like burgers...they are right around the corner from Tufts!

Food! I would check out anything seafood - lobster rolls, lobster bisque, clam chowder, oyster bars... etc (Unless you don't like seafood). It's a big thing in Boston.

If you can, check out restaurants in the "North End" (take the green line to the Haymarket, and it's a short walk from there). It's a popular spot where there's like a 1000 Italian restaurants. You can also check out Quincy market (Fenuile hall) where there's a mix of bar-like places and a giant food court -- it's nice to walk around during the day (take the green line to Govt Center for this)...

Look at you foodies- fastest reply like ever! haha..that is great. I will make sure I do these things! I am just going over my application and stuff. I hear it is mainly focused on what you wrote on your AMCAS and secondary. Anything else do you guys want to share who have already had an interview?

Look at you foodies- fastest reply like ever! haha..that is great. I will make sure I do these things! I am just going over my application and stuff. I hear it is mainly focused on what you wrote on your AMCAS and secondary. Anything else do you guys want to share who have already had an interview?

more food:

regarding north end - giacomo's in north end (dinner only). best italian in north end and one of the cheaper options there too. neptune oysters (awesome seafood) also in north end (pricey).

chinatown is close to tufts medical (taiwan cafe, xin xin for pho, dong kang II for bubble tea and smoothies).

if you have the time (and stomach), venturing out to allston will give you amazing food options too. great korean (bu kyung 2, hanmaru, myung dong), sunset grill (200 beers on tap? beer steamed burgers? mountain nachos?), thai food (S&I), sushi, the list goes on. cleveland circle area has the famous eagle's deli (was featured on man vs food, burgers are great).

yes, boston has awesome food. :laugh:

Oh yeah. If you're into Asian food, definitely grab some Chinese since Tufts is right by Chinatown (not a place you wanna roam around by yourself at night though, I'd think). As soundnin mentioned, a whole cluster of Korean places near Brighton Ave/Harvard St intersection. :)

For me, both of my interviewers literally were scrolling through my AMCAS, Secondary, and LOR's in front of me, reminding themselves of what they wanted to ask me or clarify further -- that is to say, all their questions were focused on what I wrote in my app... "so you're a musician?" "tell me more about X that Prof Y mentioned in your letter". The only specific questions I'd say I got were along the lines of, what do you look for in a med school and why Tufts, how would other people describe me, etc. But after a morning full of informative presentations, I had many wonderful things to say about Tufts :)

Oh yeah. If you're into Asian food, definitely grab some Chinese since Tufts is right by Chinatown (not a place you wanna roam around by yourself at night though, I'd think). As soundnin mentioned, a whole cluster of Korean places near Brighton Ave/Harvard St intersection. :)

For me, both of my interviewers literally were scrolling through my AMCAS, Secondary, and LOR's in front of me, reminding themselves of what they wanted to ask me or clarify further -- that is to say, all their questions were focused on what I wrote in my app... "so you're a musician?" "tell me more about X that Prof Y mentioned in your letter". The only specific questions I'd say I got were along the lines of, what do you look for in a med school and why Tufts, how would other people describe me, etc. But after a morning full of informative presentations, I had many wonderful things to say about Tufts :)

I agree with all the food suggestions here!! Especially Neptune--it is really pricey but so~ very delicious! :love:

Thanks luckyducky for the interview insight. I know there are 2 interviewers so is it possible to get a med student as an interviewer? Or would a med student be paired with a faculty member?

I'd also recommend Gourmet Dumpling House in Chinatown. Beef with Longhorn Peppers and a large Tsingtao :)

Thanks luckyducky for the interview insight. I know there are 2 interviewers so is it possible to get a med student as an interviewer? Or would a med student be paired with a faculty member?

From what I remember/understood, your possible interviewers are faculty/MD's, admissions dean/etc, or 4th year students.

All are one-to-one interviews though (no med student is paired with a faculty). They emphasized that they take a 4th year's opinion just as seriously (and if I remember correctly, they are also "trained" beforehand so they don't bomb your interview or anything), so you aren't at a disadvantage at the committee meeting if a 4th year was your interviewer.

You'll get the interviewer's name, status (faculty, student, etc), and possibly a career-info sort of paragraph in your interview packet in the morning!

I'd also recommend Gourmet Dumpling House in Chinatown. Beef with Longhorn Peppers and a large Tsingtao :)

Haha you guys are making me hungry. I'll have to check out the Gourmet Dumpling House myself... so many great restaurants, not enough time+money!

Status
Not open for further replies.