2011-2012 University at Buffalo (SUNY) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How are applications brought up for review here? I emailed Mr. Rosso about my application that I submitted in July and he said that my "application hasn't been brought to the committee, yet." Is there a method to the madness?

It really is random review. It's entirely likely that they haven't looked at your application yet, but they will, hang in there.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview invite today for 1/25!! That's not too late in the cycle at all for UB right?

seems like most people are waitlisted and they don't tell you your position until february so it's not going to be a big deal

Interview invite today for 1/25!! That's not too late in the cycle at all for UB right?

Yes, interviewing late or early in the season doesn't matter for UB. The odds of acceptance are the same either way. Good luck!

Do they give out a lot of scholarships to OOS students? Any Buffalo students from the West Coast willing to comment about how they're liking the school + Buffalo? Thanks! :)

I want some buffalo love too! For those with interview invites, how long after being complete did you get it?

I was complete 10/14 and recieved the invite 1/3

That's good to hear. I was hoping that it's not a "you should hear back shortly after being complete."

Keeping my fingers crossed.:xf:

At Buffalo, "random review" really does mean random review. At my interview, Mr. Rosso emphasized that UB does not attempt to fill its class by December like some schools; the time that you interview has absolutely no bearing on your likelihood of being accepted. I interviewed with other applicants that were originally from the Buffalo vicinity - it was right before Thanksgiving, and they figured we'd all be in town for the holiday. Maybe your address is the deciding factor in when your application is reviewed?

Members don't see this ad :)
Withdrew from my interview spot. Hope one of you guys get it!!

Clarification...once you interview here do you find out the next day about your status: acceptance/waitlist/rejection? Also does the waitlist ranking come out in early February?

Clarification...once you interview here do you find out the next day about your status: acceptance/waitlist/rejection? Also does the waitlist ranking come out in early February?
That's correct. I received my status the day after the interview. I believe you can call the office on Feb. 1 to find out your waitlist ranking.

Do they give out a lot of scholarships to OOS students? Any Buffalo students from the West Coast willing to comment about how they're liking the school + Buffalo? Thanks! :)

No idea about the scholarships part of the question (I'd like to know about that too if anyone has any information on this) but I'm from California and I really enjoyed the school when I visited. I interviewed back in September (waitlisted) and thought the school/surrounding area felt very suburban, kind of like where I live so it did give me a home-y feeling. The Holiday Inn people were totally welcoming and didn't hesitate to say that most people in Buffalo really love living there. The admissions people were nice as well. Mr. Rosso is awesome. He's a great, down-to-earth type of guy. Dean Severin too. He actually interviewed me and seemed very laid-back and genuinely interested in my application. We interviewed on a bench outside of the admissions building. The weather was nice and sunny. I felt hot while touring the school. But I can't say anything about the winter around Buffalo since I have no idea how that is. Hope that helps!

Does anyone know if the status on the status checker changes from "secondary application to received" to something saying that you're in review when the committee is actually reviewing your app? I know they do random review and it doesn't matter when they actually look at your app in the cycle but I'm starting to get a little worried since I read on their website that they stop doing interviews in February.

Thanks!

They're still giving out invites. I recently was offered one for Feb 15, which was strange, because I swore I withdrew. I hope it goes to one of you guys!

Does anyone know if the status on the status checker changes from "secondary application to received" to something saying that you're in review when the committee is actually reviewing your app? I know they do random review and it doesn't matter when they actually look at your app in the cycle but I'm starting to get a little worried since I read on their website that they stop doing interviews in February.

Thanks!

It does not change. At least it didnt for me, not even when I got my II. I interviewed yesterday and it still says secondary application received. The first change I will be seeing is tomorrow morning when it will change to accept, non-accept, or waitlist (hence me not sleeping although it's 230 in the morning).

They really stressed in the interview that you are given a shot even if you interview late in the cycle. And I think-but someone can correct me on this- they are interviewing through march. So don't lose hope yet, you're still a candidate! :luck::luck:

If I remember correctly from my interview, they said they interview even into early April and Dr. Severin went into this whole thing about how he doesn't think it's ethical to interview for the waitlist so even if you interview in late March, you still have a shot at an acceptance right away! Also, speaking to the winters in Buffalo, they really aren't horrible. I have lived here my whole life and, no joke, it was 50 and raining on Monday.

Waitlist!

Ditto

Looks like at this time, without an acceptance in hand and my mcat almost 3 years old, time to study so that I can be ready to re- apply in June.

Whatever it takes, right?

Last edited:
Has anyone on the waitlist sent a letter of interest? Is UB open to letters? I really liked the school and would love to go there, so I'm wondering if sending a letter before waitlist positions are announced might help.

Could anyone in SDN land that's been rejected post-interview please speak up? Pardon my paranoia, but it seems to me like they're only waitlisting (or accepting) so far.

How much time do you have for the pop essay and do you type it or is it hand written? I also have a few questions about UB for current students. Please let me know if I can message you directly with them. Thanks

Last year, there was a University at Buffalo (SUNY) Wait list thread, where people on the wait list were able to talk with one another- does one for 2011-2012 exist? I couldn't find one, but it would be extremely useful for people i'm sure

How much time do you have for the pop essay and do you type it or is it hand written? I also have a few questions about UB for current students. Please let me know if I can message you directly with them. Thanks
The essay is hand written, you get about ten minutes before lunch to write it out. One of my interviewers briefly discussed my essay at the start of my interview, but the other one didn't even mention it.

Withdrew my application. Had an interview slot for the second week of February. Hope one of you get it! Good luck.

II for 2/29. I live in buffalo now... so I think I'm going to go to have the state option!

Does any one know if they accept letters of intent or updates?? I am from New York and Buffalo is definitely is one of my top choices, but I haven't heard from them yet.......Any advice

Last edited:
Just got an II for 2/29. Been complete since 7/25. Does anyone know if Buffalo has a hosting program or something. It didn't say anything in the email about student hosts.

Just got an II for 2/29. Been complete since 7/25. Does anyone know if Buffalo has a hosting program or something. It didn't say anything in the email about student hosts.

You'll get a packet of info from UB in the mail soon and it'll have contacts for student hosting.

Hey Guys..I have been a long time lurker, and this is my first time writing on sdn...first off, congrats to everybody who has been accepted anywhere, Buffalo or elsewhere..you guys made it! hard work does pay off :) Anyways, Buffalo is one of my 2 top schools and I just received an II for 2/29..I am VERY nervous about the kinds of questions they might ask..I had 2 interviews by now..but I was wondering if someone could tell me what kinds of questions they asked u at UBuffalo interview? ANY input is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Thank you very much fellow SDNer..ur help is greatly appreciated!

hey all,

I posted the same question in the stony brook thread, but I guess things might be different for each school. I was marked complete here 10/24 and still have not heard anything. Should I send an update e-mail, and if so, who do I address it to and what do I put in the subject line?

I would not send an update here- they don't care- they only consider updates post-interview. ALSO, UB is random review, literally, computer-generated random review. So don't worry... i KNow its taking forever, but they will get to you.

ALSO, they are not rolling, you have an equal shot of admission if you interview in April.

sent in UB like sometime in July. Just got an II for march 14....

sent in UB like sometime in July. Just got an II for march 14....

Congrats! UB reviews applications in random order, so the large amount of time between applying and receiving the invite doesn't mean anything. You have the same chance as anyone interviewing at any point. Good luck!

Congrats SDapplicant. I'm still holding out hope for here too. Would you mind sharing your stats? If you don't feel comfortable that's cool too. I'm just waiting on the edge of my seat a bit!

Waitlisted = Ouch!
Lower Third = Double Ouch!

Looking more and more like a game over.

Does anyone know anything about the poop essay? Do you know the prompt/type of question?

Status
Not open for further replies.