2012-2013 Cornell University (Weill) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Will Cornell subsidize your housing cost if you decide to live in an off-campus apartment rather than Olin?

Also, where do most M2-4 students live? And what percentage of 1st years elect to live in Olin?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got accepted today off of the waitlist! =)

Does anyone know what the financial aid package is like and when we get it?

Congrats!

In terms of Financial Aid, mine was AWFUL. I'm graduating college with only $5,000 in loans (need-based grants covered most of my tuition). Cornell wants to send me off with a $200,000 debt. -_-

Maybe you'll have better luck, but it seems like Cornell hardly takes need into consideration when calculating FA packages.

There was a post on the previous page about this. In short, anticipate an awful package and 250k+ of loans :(

Congratulations! It's nice to see that there is movement. Would you mind telling us stats and whether you'll be accepting the spot? Thanks!

Last edited:

How much time did they give you to answer them back since May 15th has passed?

My stats are: 3.73 sGPA, 3.82 cGPA, 35S. Cornell gave me 2 weeks to make my decision. I'm not completely sure if I'm going to accept it - I'd love to be in New York (I've lived in NY most of my life and love the city), but if the financial aid is horrible, then I'd rather go elsewhere. =\

My stats are: 3.73 sGPA, 3.82 cGPA, 35S. Cornell gave me 2 weeks to make my decision. I'm not completely sure if I'm going to accept it - I'd love to be in New York (I've lived in NY most of my life and love the city), but if the financial aid is horrible, then I'd rather go elsewhere. =\

Thanks for the answer. also, are they going to give you your estimated FA package before the deadline?

about how much waitlist movement goes on at this school?

+1 just wondering if there's a good chance of getting off the waitlist. some schools don't have good waitlist movement, if at all.

The facebook group had 35 members or so before May 15th and now it is at 60. These students are either from the waitlist or just joined the group after they made a final decision.

Will Cornell subsidize your housing cost if you decide to live in an off-campus apartment rather than Olin?

Also, where do most M2-4 students live? And what percentage of 1st years elect to live in Olin?

Apartments within 5 blocks from the hospital are ridiculously expensive (I lived here on my own the summer before starting) - the cheapest tiny cockroach-infested studio I could find was $1200. Cornell lets you live across the street from the hospital for $800 in much better conditions. So they don't subsidize outside housing. However, if you are one of Cornell's many married students or have a family, they have a housing complex on 77th street and a few other options that are subsidized as well.

MS2-4 students live around the corner at Lasdon house - full of 2 or 3-bedroom apartments with a nice kitchen/living space and large rooms. There is a 24-hour 2-room gym and great laundry facilities in the building! While Olin is dorm-style and will be renovated in coming years, Lasdon is really great and has everything you could hope for.

About 90% of students live in Olin - the other 10ish students live either at home, in one of the married housing complexes mentioned previously, or with significant others who already have apartments in the city - but these are few and far between, and these students end up going to social gatherings in Olin anyway.

Hope this helps! Feel free to PM if you have additional questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
There was a post on the previous page about this. In short, anticipate an awful package and 250k+ of loans :(

I concur :/ unfortunately, this year, Cornell was hit very hard financially - as in my previous post, my first 2 years of med school had great financial aid packages, but this year has been miserable for many top schools. With the healing economy, I hope that Cornell is able to give better packages in the near future.

Hope this helps!

Apartments within 5 blocks from the hospital are ridiculously expensive (I lived here on my own the summer before starting) - the cheapest tiny cockroach-infested studio I could find was $1200. Cornell lets you live across the street from the hospital for $800 in much better conditions. So they don't subsidize outside housing. However, if you are one of Cornell's many married students or have a family, they have a housing complex on 77th street and a few other options that are subsidized as well.

MS2-4 students live around the corner at Lasdon house - full of 2 or 3-bedroom apartments with a nice kitchen/living space and large rooms. There is a 24-hour 2-room gym and great laundry facilities in the building! While Olin is dorm-style and will be renovated in coming years, Lasdon is really great and has everything you could hope for.

About 90% of students live in Olin - the other 10ish students live either at home, in one of the married housing complexes mentioned previously, or with significant others who already have apartments in the city - but these are few and far between, and these students end up going to social gatherings in Olin anyway.

Hope this helps! Feel free to PM if you have additional questions.
Thank you!

Cornell is known to have great wait-list movement! Myself and a large portion of the class was accepted off the waitlist.

66% of Cornell's originally accepted students go elsewhere, leaving a large portion of the class accepted off the waitlist. This is due partly to Cornell's unique acceptance strategy - accepting a portion "early" in December, a second "early" portion on the first day of acceptance letters, then accepting more throughout the cycle as they begin hearing from December applicants. Because most of the December and early March accepted students are the ones vying for a spot at Harvard or UPenn, many wait until late April to tell Cornell that they were accepted off the waitlist at these top schools before withdrawing their app, leaving the waitlist to be a typically slow and late-moving one.

I hope this helps, and good luck to everyone who, like me, was Cornell-hopeful until very late in the cycle!

Cornell is known to have great wait-list movement! Myself and a large portion of the class was accepted off the waitlist.

66% of Cornell's originally accepted students go elsewhere, leaving a large portion of the class accepted off the waitlist. This is due partly to Cornell's unique acceptance strategy - accepting a portion "early" in December, a second "early" portion on the first day of acceptance letters, then accepting more throughout the cycle as they begin hearing from December applicants. Because most of the December and early March accepted students are the ones vying for a spot at Harvard or UPenn, many wait until late April to tell Cornell that they were accepted off the waitlist at these top schools before withdrawing their app, leaving the waitlist to be a typically slow and late-moving one.

I hope this helps, and good luck to everyone who, like me, was Cornell-hopeful until very late in the cycle!

what is the acceptance rate off the waitlist? (does 100 get accepted off a 600 people waitlist, or 100 out of 300) just wondering how much hope there is

Congrats!

In terms of Financial Aid, mine was AWFUL. I'm graduating college with only $5,000 in loans (need-based grants covered most of my tuition). Cornell wants to send me off with a $200,000 debt. -_-

Maybe you'll have better luck, but it seems like Cornell hardly takes need into consideration when calculating FA packages.

You are whining about receiving a 30k/yr scholarship (possibly with interest free loans as well) to medical school - Wow, I hope you're not indicative of the class. Be more grateful

There is a huge difference between FAFSA and Cornel's Need Access application. FAFSA barely considers your assets, it is more income based; meaning non-taxable assets (i.e. real estate, among other things) don't get factored into the "need calculation". So basically, you can be very well off in life but through the FAFSA it seems like your parents/you can't contribute much to your education. Colleges usually only require this.

The Needs Access application that Cornell makes you complete is a questionable invasion of privacy but gets full details of your financial situation, anything that possibly could have been hidden from the FAFSA. Since Cornell only offers need based financial aid, they have to evaluate the real picture and not just rely on a faulty FAFSA.

Last edited:
Does Cornell use shelf exams as finals in year 1 & 2 (basic sci.) classes?

Class size is 100, and about 50-60 get accepted off the waitlist (not sure of exact numbers), but this late in the game, probably only 10 or so spots are left.

Cornell is the only school that does not have finals!! This was a HUGE draw for me, as the stress of cramming and the ineffectiveness of it all just wasn't for me. We have tests called "triple jumps", where you free response answer a pbl-style case, then go home that night and work with whoever you want to learn what you could have written better, then the next day, have an oral exam in which you explain what you would have changed. Everyone does well, and it is a great educational experience that leaves you realizing how much practical knowledge you've accumulated.

is it possible to get around without a car? also, what is the proportion of students with cars in their 3rd and 4th years (rotations are far away)

Cars are not necessary in NYC in general, but especially if you're living on campus. Besides, parking would be a nightmare. Street parking is difficult to get and garages are expensive.

Public transportation is readily available, and for a couple of rotation sites there are shuttles.

Yes - not a single one of my classmates has a car. Public transportation (subway) is universal and very cheap, and there are always cabs you can hail from wherever you are if you want to take a car.

Is it worth it to get a bike? What percentage of students would you say own bikes?

I don't come on SDN much (just to look out for interview invites etc. during the app season), but I was accepted to WCMC (MD only) back in March and will definitely be coming here in August. Congrats to all the acceptees and looking forward to meeting the class of 2017 in a couple months!

Status
Not open for further replies.