2013-2014 New York Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats to the accepted!

Has anyone heard back that interviewed the week of the March 17th?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering what the curriculum at NYMC is like. I've looked all over their website but wasn't able to find any information regarding the curriculum. Couldn't really download the "viewbook" either.

I was wondering what the curriculum at NYMC is like. I've looked all over their website but wasn't able to find any information regarding the curriculum. Couldn't really download the "viewbook" either.
Year one: first block is anatomy, histo/cell bio, and biostats. second block is physio and biochem, and history of medicine, third is neuroscience and behavioral science.
Second year has micro, pharm and path.
For the first two years foundations of clinical medicine, and community/preventive medicine run the whole year.

Third and fourth years are your clinical rotations.

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats! Fellow reapp. And while I'm not yet accepted or even interviewed at nymc I know how you feel.

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted yesterday! First acceptance and wait listed at 2 other schools, so very excited!

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats to the recently accepted!! Could you let us know when you interviewed and when you heard back? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted today! Interviewed March 31st. 32 MCAT 3.63 cGPA 3.79 sGPA OOS

Good luck to everyone else!

Accepted today! Interviewed March 31st. 32 MCAT 3.63 cGPA 3.79 sGPA OOS

Good luck to everyone else!
Congrats! Now you have to pick between Rush and NYMC... haha! You are lucky to have the option to choose.

Accepted! 3.72 gpa 30 mcat. Will probably be withdrawing for another acceptance though

Is there a way to submit the deposit online or do we have to mail in a check/cash? If a check is required, who do I make it out to?

I called earlier this week and was told that there is no way to submit the deposit online. You should write a check out to 'New York Medical College' and submit it with the acceptance agreement that includes your AAMC ID.

Is there a way to submit the deposit online or do we have to mail in a check/cash? If a check is required, who do I make it out to?

How fast is everyone getting the acceptance packet? I got accepted last week on Monday and have not received it yet. Note: I live in New York state.

I was accepted on Monday and received my acceptance packet on Wednesday. But, take that with a grain of salt as I also live less than 30 minutes away from the school.

How fast is everyone getting the acceptance packet? I got accepted last week on Monday and have not received it yet. Note: I live in New York state.

I was accepted on Monday and received my acceptance packet on Wednesday. But, take that with a grain of salt as I also live less than 30 minutes away from the school.
Turns out they sent it to my permanent address aka my parent's house, instead of my preferred address aka my house. Just updated AMCAS and emailed them, so hopefully that mistake won't happen again. Isn't that why I put PREFERRED?? grrr

Is NYMC still interviewing or are they done for this year? Does anyone know?

I'm assuming last interview day is may 6

I received an interview last week, going on May 8'th which was the last day I assume. Really down to the wire, but I'm excited to check out the school and we'll see what happens...

Last edited:
Interviewed 1/30 and haven't heard back. I called today and no decision has been made which I find odd. They said they interview until the first week in May and don't start taking people from the wait list until Juneish. Anyone else had an experience where it took a VERY long time to get a decision? It's getting really down to the wire lol

Accepted! This is my first acceptance and I'm on two WLs so it was coming down to the wire. I interviewed 4/8 and I previously listed my stats on this thread. Good luck to those still waiting!

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if the scholarships they give out are merit-based or need-based, or possibly both? Thanks in advance :)

To all current students: It would be wonderful to know what the your perceived downsides are about attending NYMC as I've heard so many positives (it has helped a lot for other threads). Has this info already been posted elsewhere on the thread? Feel free to PM me, I would be eternally grateful to hear your opinions! Thanks in advance!

Just sent the email to drop my acceptance to NYMC. Not a good fit for me.

Anyone have any advice on how to prepare for this interview?
Google "MMI example questions." Practice how you would answer them and how you would respond to each of the followup questions. The interviewers want to see how you support your decision with evidence and how you are capable of seeing issues from multiple, and sometimes opposing, perspectives.

Anyone know how long it takes to get a financial aid package? Do we have to submit anything in addition to FAFSA?

Anyone have any advice on how to prepare for this interview?
Just be prepared to speak about various MMI topics. It's conversational so don't memorize speeches. I really loved the MMI a lot at NYMC actually. Highlight of my interview day.

Anyone know how long it takes to get a financial aid package? Do we have to submit anything in addition to FAFSA?
About two weeks after u submit ur deposit they'll send an email about financial aid step 1 which includes fafsa, credit reports and master promissory notes and an application you have to send in.

About two weeks after u submit ur deposit they'll send an email about financial aid step 1 which includes fafsa, credit reports and master promissory notes and an application you have to send in.

So presumably I wont get it back until after May 15th when I can only hold one acceptance? I just got the letter in the mail today.

good luck you guys, I attended NYMC 2006-2010 currently a radiology resident doing whatever I can to avoid studying for boards, PM me with NYMC questions, things have changed a little since my time but I still may have some insights

So presumably I wont get it back until after May 15th when I can only hold one acceptance? I just got the letter in the mail today.
I'm not 100% on that. Probably.. but I would call the financial aid office just for them to confirm or answer any ?s u have.

Spoke to admissions and financial aid office today. They don't offer merit scholarships and they don't anticipate getting back to us about need based scholarships until after May 15. So.....
Withdrew my acceptance today - hope it goes to one of you guys!
I just spoke with Fin Aid too and got the same response. The person I spoke with said no decisions probably until June! That's crazy. If they threw any money at me, it would play a lot into my school choice.

Reactions: 2 users