You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2013-2014 Tulane University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Wow.... so about 70 percent get accepted post interview?
I do not think it's unusually for schools to have relatively high acceptance rates post interview. the hard part is usually getting the interview.
2
274631
II for 1/17 (wow didn't realize they were that far into the cycle already)! Complete 8/19...very excited to visit New Orleans again. Loved it the one time I visited!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats on all the interviews! You're going to love it there 🙂
Also, I know a lot of people think Tulane is a crapshoot, but what I learned when I visited is that they are really just looking for a very specific type of person.
Also, I know a lot of people think Tulane is a crapshoot, but what I learned when I visited is that they are really just looking for a very specific type of person.
I saw that Tulane's interview season runs until February... does this mean that interviewing in January is a big disadvantage?
I interviewed in jan and got accepted two weeks after day interview. I have run into quite a few people who interviewed in man and are Indy class so I would say no. Schools are pretty good at leaving spots available for later interviewees.
thanks for the reply! really excited about this school 🙂I interviewed in jan and got accepted two weeks after day interview. I have run into quite a few people who interviewed in man and are Indy class so I would say no. Schools are pretty good at leaving spots available for later interviewees.
Congrats on all the interviews! You're going to love it there 🙂
Also, I know a lot of people think Tulane is a crapshoot, but what I learned when I visited is that they are really just looking for a very specific type of person.
Thanks, and I believe this is true after watching youtube videos and stalking their website
I'm really excited to visit now. I feel that we're a perfect match. They seem to really focus on community service.Got an interview invite earlier today! For 1/24. Complete 8/20
Anyone knows what the "role-playing" part of the interview is like?
It is a role play situation with a standardized patient. Since we had to sign a confidentiality form, that's as much as I'm going to say.
Its really not as scary as you'd think. You can't prepare for it, so the best thing to do is just be confident.
It is a role play situation with a standardized patient. Since we had to sign a confidentiality form, that's as much as I'm going to say.
Its really not as scary as you'd think. You can't prepare for it, so the best thing to do is just be confident.
Thanks for your info!
Does Tulane send complete emails? I submitted my secondary a few weeks ago and have not heard anything. Thanks!!
Does Tulane send complete emails? I submitted my secondary a few weeks ago and have not heard anything. Thanks!!
Yes, but it can take a while. Especially at this stage in the game
Yes, but it can take a while. Especially at this stage in the game
Thank you!!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I heard that Tulane accepts 75-80% of interviewees. Is this true? Seems too good to be true
MSAR says they invite 500 and accept 190, so 38%
MSAR says they invite 500 and accept 190, so 38%
That's 190 who matriculated. The actual number accepted is usually 2x the number matriculated.
That's 190 who matriculated. The actual number accepted is usually 2x the number matriculated.
You're right! USNW apparently has access to number of accepted students
You're right! USNW apparently has access to number of accepted students
Yea but they don't have the numbers for unranked schools, which Tulane falls under
Rejection party over here...3.44 cGPA, 3.46 sGPA, MCAT 31. Wash U undergrad.🙁
Sucks cus I like on the Gulf coast like 3 hours away in Florida...I love New Orleans...wah wah wahhh...oh well underdogs unite!!
Sucks cus I like on the Gulf coast like 3 hours away in Florida...I love New Orleans...wah wah wahhh...oh well underdogs unite!!
I interviewed early last year, but rejected pre-interview in August. I was kind of surprised about this rejection.
For what its worth, we were told that 500 interviewed for a class of 150, and just over 90% (I think 460 was the number) were eventually accepted, with the majority being off the accepted-range wait list. I interviewed early and placed on the accepted-range wait list a few days after I interviewed. I wasn't rejected until week into the start of classes (I was rejected from last cycle and this cycle a few days apart, weird timing but I think coincidence). The admissions office said basically more people accepted than they expected, which forced them to expand the amount of students for the class. The office also said there was almost (if any) movement off the wait list. Good luck everyone.
For what its worth, we were told that 500 interviewed for a class of 150, and just over 90% (I think 460 was the number) were eventually accepted, with the majority being off the accepted-range wait list. I interviewed early and placed on the accepted-range wait list a few days after I interviewed. I wasn't rejected until week into the start of classes (I was rejected from last cycle and this cycle a few days apart, weird timing but I think coincidence). The admissions office said basically more people accepted than they expected, which forced them to expand the amount of students for the class. The office also said there was almost (if any) movement off the wait list. Good luck everyone.
The office also said there was almost (if any) movement off the wait list. Good luck everyone.
I'm in the class of 2017, and they told us at orientation that not one person was pulled off of the waitlist. One reason could be that they held an awesome second look weekend for the first time. I think they will adjust their strategy a bit this year so that doesn't happen; possibly to accept fewer people right away after the interview, since our class ended up overbooked.
Rejection email from Tulane today. It was a long-shot school for me, however. Onwards!
Sorry to hear about it! When did you submit?
How many spots do you think are left then? Seems really scary for those of us waiting/haven't submitted that they are already in January....I interviewed in jan and got accepted two weeks after day interview. I have run into quite a few people who interviewed in man and are Indy class so I would say no. Schools are pretty good at leaving spots available for later interviewees.
Sorry to hear about it! When did you submit?
Thank you! I received the complete email on 9/6.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Something I discovered that other later applicants might be interested to hear: apparently some schools hold on to some interview dates/spots on those dates that are closer to the now (ie not January) anticipating applicants they will really want to interview and Tulane is supposedly one of those schools.How many spots do you think are left then? Seems really scary for those of us waiting/haven't submitted that they are already in January....
Now, this probably doesn't apply to me or many of the other late applicants, but if you are someone for whom Tulane is a great fit, don't let the later dates scare you quite yet
wait so does this mean that if we got assigned a date in January it means they want us less?Something I discovered that other later applicants might be interested to hear: apparently some schools hold on to some interview dates/spots on those dates that are closer to the now (ie not January) anticipating applicants they will really want to interview and Tulane is supposedly one of those schools.
Now, this probably doesn't apply to me or many of the other late applicants, but if you are someone for whom Tulane is a great fit, don't let the later dates scare you quite yet
wait so does this mean that if we got assigned a date in January it means they want us less?
No definitely not, don't let the January date discourage you at all. Last year I got an interview at the end of September that wasn't scheduled until the end of February and got in just fine (as did many others on my same interview date).
Can any current student comment on the MD/MPH program in terms of time commitment and the types of course work involved? Also, are there any international study opportunities available?
compared to your med school classes it's a breeze. But you can get in the habit of just cramming for MPH classes, in which case you might not really be learning anything in the long run. There's study abroad things you can do during the summer, depending on your department's course requirements.
Cheapest way to get to Tulane from the airport??
Cheapest way to get to Tulane from the airport??
Stay with a student, or get a cab. No better ways I know of, since the airport is in the middle of nowhere.
Stay with a student, or get a cab. No better ways I know of, since the airport is in the middle of nowhere.
There isn't a bus to downtown New Orleans?
E
EugeneF
There isn't a bus to downtown New Orleans?
Wanted to address this since I tried the bus when I visited.
The bus is only 2$ and is by far the cheapest way to get downtown from the airport. I was lucky enough to have a student give me a ride from the airport to downtown when I arrived, but took the bus back when I was leaving NO.
I left 2.5 hours from leaving the hostel I was staying at to get to the airport. I spent a little over an hour waiting for the bus, apparently the one that was scheduled to get me to the airport on time never showed up. It also happened to be rush hour (bad planning on my part) and so the packed bus stopped every few blocks. On top of that a few people on the bus got in an argument and caused greater delay. The whole trip took over an hour. When I checked in at Delta they said that I was too late and so had to schedule for the next available flight.
I was too cheap to pay the $30 or so for a cab, but wound up having to pay the $2 + a $50 flight change fee. In my opinion, take the bus if you are absolutely in no hurry. However, if you can afford it or are in a rush try a taxi. A few interviewees when I was down their coordinated so they split the cost of a cab.
On another note, just FYI it took less than 10 minutes to get threw airport security leaving NO on a weekday, so don't worry about arriving too early (unless you're taking the bus).
Last edited by a moderator:
Wanted to address this since I tried the bus when I visited.
The bus is only 2$ and is by far the cheapest way to get downtown from the airport. I was lucky enough to have a student give me a ride from the airport to downtown when I arrived, but took the bus back when I was leaving NO.
I left 2.5 hours from leaving the hostel I was staying at to get to the airport. I spent a little over an hour waiting for the bus, apparently the one that was scheduled to get me to the airport on time never showed up. It also happened to be rush hour (bad planning on my part) and so the packed bus stopped every few blocks. On top of that a few people on the bus got in an argument and caused greater delay. The whole trip took over an hour. When I checked in at Delta they said that I was too late and so had to schedule for the next available flight.
I was too cheap to pay the $30 or so for a cab, but wound up having to pay the $2 + a $50 flight change fee. In my opinion, take the bus if you are absolutely in no hurry. However, if you can afford it or are in a rush try a taxi. A few interviewees when I was down their coordinated so they split the cost of a cab.
On another note, just FYI it took less than 10 minutes to get threw airport security leaving NO on a weekday, so don't worry about arriving too early (unless you're taking the bus).
Thanks for responding! Does it require a transfer to get to NO? I plan on taking the bus into the city, and few websites seem to say that I will be riding the buses of two different transit authorities...
How many spots do you think are left then? Seems really scary for those of us waiting/haven't submitted that they are already in January....
Something I discovered that other later applicants might be interested to hear: apparently some schools hold on to some interview dates/spots on those dates that are closer to the now (ie not January) anticipating applicants they will really want to interview and Tulane is supposedly one of those schools.
Now, this probably doesn't apply to me or many of the other late applicants, but if you are someone for whom Tulane is a great fit, don't let the later dates scare you quite yet
I don't know. I don't think so though. I think it just means they're on January but have a couple spots open before for people they really want to see. But who knows, really
No definitely not, don't let the January date discourage you at all. Last year I got an interview at the end of September that wasn't scheduled until the end of February and got in just fine (as did many others on my same interview date).
To answer your questions:
Tulane's scheduled interview days have been filled through December. They do not "reserve spots" for candidates they prefer. January and February is it.
That being said, the admissions voodoo works out in such a way that class is not filled in its entirety until the very last interview day (and probably a few people deep into acceptance range list). So relax everybody. Be excited if you have an interview, whenever it is, and come to your interview day prepared to show them who you are. If you fit, you fit.
Just booked the flight for my 1/13 interview! Excited to visit!
I interview the same day so looking forward to meeting you! 🙂
Would someone who has interviewed at Tulane already this year mind sharing the daily schedule? Is there a chance the day will run considerably late? I am trying to catch a pretty early flight out after my interview and am wondering if I'm cutting it too close. Thanks!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I saw a group of fresh-eyed applicants wandering the halls this morning. Maybe one of them will post a follow up.
Would someone who has interviewed at Tulane already this year mind sharing the daily schedule? Is there a chance the day will run considerably late? I am trying to catch a pretty early flight out after my interview and am wondering if I'm cutting it too close. Thanks!
The interviews are done by around 1/1:15, after which there is a tour of the buildings and rooms. You can leave at any point once the third and final student interview/lunch is over. Hope that helps!
I like that schedule much better, interviews in the morning, lunch/student interview around noon, tour after. I'd much rather tour the school once the pressure and nerves are gone and I can simply take everything in. Plus no worries about those green onions from lunch while interviewing! 😀
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K