2013-2014 Washington University in St. Louis Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't know how they handle all those interviews, but I'm not complaining! Excuse to go back to St. Louis and some good interview practice (seeing as I will NEVER get accepted in a million years). I'm taking a gap year, and I remember last year there were some kids who didn't understand that all Wash U undergrads get an interview and they were insanely psyched to get the invite... I didn't have the heart to say anything

Hahahaha totally understand how you feel :p

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know how they handle all those interviews, but I'm not complaining! Excuse to go back to St. Louis and some good interview practice (seeing as I will NEVER get accepted in a million years).

-

Last edited:
Been a us resident for 5 years, consider myself from a "challenged" family. Got a 31 (12/8/11) on my MCAT and a 4.0 with good LOR and ECs. I got a secondary before my primary was even verified. Do i have a a chance here? or do they just send the secondary to everyone?

Members don't see this ad :)
Been a us resident for 5 years, consider myself from a "challenged" family. Got a 31 (12/8/11) on my MCAT and a 4.0 with good LOR and ECs. I got a secondary before my primary was even verified. Do i have a a chance here? or do they just send the secondary to everyone?

They send the secondary to everyone. As to whether you have a chance, I have absolutely no idea.

They send secondaries to everybody pre-AMCAS verification.
Not to discourage you, just facts: WashU *loves* high MCAT scores. 31 is below their 10th percentile (which is 33), and an 8 in any section is very low for WashU. And, judging by student profiles on their web site, their students' ECs are quite extraordinary.
Just my 2 cents.

They send secondaries to everybody pre-AMCAS verification.
Not to discourage you, just facts: WashU *loves* high MCAT scores. 31 is below their 10th percentile (which is 33), and an 8 in any section is very low for WashU. And, judging by student profiles on their web site, their students' ECs are quite extraordinary.
Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for your input. That's exactly what I was thinking looking at their stats on MSAR. However, you think English being my second language would cut me some slack with that 8 VR? Im not getting my hopes up or anything like that, just curious.

However, you think English being my second language would cut me some slack with that 8 VR? Im not getting my hopes up or anything like that, just curious.
I can't tell you for sure, as I'm not a WashU adcom :), but I think that English not being the first language is generally not a good excuse. After all, being able to communicate well in English is necessary for a doctor. If English is not your native language, adcoms will certainly take a close look at your language abilities, which include your verbal score, essays and, of course, the interview.
For what it's worth, I'm not a native English speaker myself and I know that verbal score can be improved (I also replied to you in the UChicago thread).

Are you kidding me? Other schools have multiple *required* long essays (UChicago, Case, NYU, Duke come to mind), this secondary only has one, which is *optional*. If you never had the kind of difficulty you could type, say, 2500 characters about (you don't have to use every single character, do you?), then good for you and maybe this essay is not for you.
Not to mention, admission to a great school like WashU is more than worth the effort of writing a single essay.

if you're given 3000 characters to write an essay about yourself for a school as great as WashU, you use every single one. that being said, just because it's crazy long doesn't mean it isn't worth doing. it's just an observation.

and it's question is more reasonable than NYU. those questions sucked

if you're given 3000 characters to write an essay about yourself for a school as great as WashU, you use every single one. that being said, just because it's crazy long doesn't mean it isn't worth doing. it's just an observation.

and it's question is more reasonable than NYU. those questions sucked
I agree. I generally think that it's best to write all the essays that apply to you to squeeze as much information about yourself into the secondary as possible.
On the other hand, if you can't think of anything to write in an optional essay, then maybe you shouldn't write it at all.

Where is everybody seeing this secondary question? I thought this school had no essays to submit.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where is everybody seeing this secondary question? I thought this school had no essays to submit.

Thanks.
There are 2 *optional* essays:

(optional) Do you have unique experiences or obstacles that you have overcome that were not covered in your application about which you would like to inform our Admissions Committee? (maximum 3000 characters including spaces)

If you have already completed your education, if your college or graduate education was interrupted, or if you do not plan to be a full-time student during the current year, describe in chronological order your activities during the time(s) when you were not enrolled as a full-time student. (maximum 1800 characters including spaces)

So, if these don't apply to you, you have no essays to submit.

Neither essay applied to me and I did not complete them. In a few weeks I'm starting classes so this portion of the secondary is not necessary for all applicants.

Neither essay applied to me and I did not complete them. In a few weeks I'm starting classes so this portion of the secondary is not necessary for all applicants.

NY rep!

man what if my 'difficulties' are not worthy to let the school know?

man what if my 'difficulties' are not worthy to let the school know?

No need to make the Adcom read more than they need to; they have enough to slough through and they might actually appreciate the lack of another forced essay :p

The optional essay doesn't look like a "difficulties" essay to me. It looks like a diversity essay with different wording than what most schools use. If that's the case I wonder just how "optional" it is. We have people in this thread saying they got in without it, but is that the norm or were these guys 4.0, 40T applicants with very impressive ECs such that WashU could overlook not filling out the essay?

Also, WashU's secondary is hardly the worst. Out of the 19 secondaries I have on my table right now, it's one of the better ones.

"The Supplemental Application should be completed within four weeks and no later than December 31, 2013, whichever comes first."

Within four weeks of what, receiving it? Even if your primary hasn't been verified yet?

Where does it say this..?
It's in the application instructions (a pdf file that can be found on WashU web site). If you submitted your primary to WashU, you are also going to receive a hard copy of the instructions with a WashU brochure by mail - alas, it comes quite a few days after you get your secondary.

(It was funny how I first received the WashU brochure with the application instructions, and then a couple of weeks later I got another WashU brochure with a letter congratulating me on my MCAT and suggesting I should apply to WashU :p But they sure do marker themselves :))

It's in the application instructions (a pdf file that can be found on WashU web site). If you submitted your primary to WashU, you are also going to receive a hard copy of the instructions with a WashU brochure by mail - alas, it comes quite a few days after you get your secondary.

(It was funny how I first received the WashU brochure with the application instructions, and then a couple of weeks later I got another WashU brochure with a letter congratulating me on my MCAT and suggesting I should apply to WashU :p But they sure do marker themselves :))

Ah well, passed the 4 week deadline, but gonna try anyway.

Ah well, passed the 4 week deadline, but gonna try anyway.
Well, you're certainly not going to lose anything by submitting it :)
But it's true that they should mention the 4 week deadline in secondary invitations.

Could you please share your MCAT score please.
Thanks

What are the "obstacles" you guys are talking about in the optional essay. How are you structuring it?

What are the "obstacles" you guys are talking about in the optional essay. How are you structuring it?

They said "unique," so I left mine blank :p Hopefully it won't come back to hurt me since so many previous applicants have been emphatic about it being really truly be optional, hahah

They said "unique," so I left mine blank :p Hopefully it won't come back to hurt me since so many previous applicants have been emphatic about it being really truly be optional, hahah

I did the same thing. I'd rather not waste ADCom's time reading extra crap... I don't want anyone to get annoyed with me!

is the photo upload supposed to be a serious picture?

Can any current students tell me what days Wash U interviews on and if they are receptive to "in the area" emails? Thanks!

Can any current students tell me what days Wash U interviews on and if they are receptive to "in the area" emails? Thanks!

They interview on all weekdays (except holidays). IIRC, interviews start late September/early October and go through February.

As far as emailing, I don't know how much it will help, but I don't think it can hurt.

Hey, guys. I did a year of research for Washington University School of Medicine. Without going into detail, if you have any general questions I'm more than willing to answer them if I can. BOL.

Submitted my secondary a few days back (8/26). I had gotten an autosecondary when I submitted my primary 7/17 but hadn't prioritized finishing it since my primary STILL hasn't gone through (AMCAS is on primaries submitted 7/10 right now).

I did the optional "what are you doing in the next year" essay since I'm already graduated, but not the "unique/experiences obstacles" bit. I kind of agree with what both parties are saying, on the one hand if they give you space to write about yourself you want them to know as much as possible, on the other hand adcom has so much to sift through an only tangentially relevant essay.

I'm really interested in Wash U since they give off a vibe about really caring about personality, that you are a good person, etc, and highly emphasizing the humanistic aspect of medicine. Of course their stats are through the roof but a girl can hope, right?

No one's heard anything about interviews yet, right?

Submitted my secondary a few days back (8/26). I had gotten an autosecondary when I submitted my primary 7/17 but hadn't prioritized finishing it since my primary STILL hasn't gone through (AMCAS is on primaries submitted 7/10 right now).

I did the optional "what are you doing in the next year" essay since I'm already graduated, but not the "unique/experiences obstacles" bit. I kind of agree with what both parties are saying, on the one hand if they give you space to write about yourself you want them to know as much as possible, on the other hand adcom has so much to sift through an only tangentially relevant essay.

I'm really interested in Wash U since they give off a vibe about really caring about personality, that you are a good person, etc, and highly emphasizing the humanistic aspect of medicine. Of course their stats are through the roof but a girl can hope, right?

No one's heard anything about interviews yet, right?

I have an interview scheduled for October, but it's for the MSTP. Regular MD interviews invites should be sent out very soon.

Yes, last year they sent the first batch of IIs on September 6th.

Then we should be expecting some invites anytime now hopefully. About time. This thread has been SOOO inactive!