Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would think those are two separate courses. Personally I have taken all 3 (cell, genetics, biochem) and they are definitely different. I think genetics and biochem are both requirements.
Thank you!
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I would think those are two separate courses. Personally I have taken all 3 (cell, genetics, biochem) and they are definitely different. I think genetics and biochem are both requirements.
I interviewed on Dec. 18.. Congrats Endo!! Keep the good news coming guys!Congrats!!! I assume it was from Stony Brook since you're posting on this thread? When did you interview? Was it via email or phone? It's been silent on my end...so nervous!
If we didn't hear back today does this spell bad news for us 🙁
As I understand they have sent acceptances to the folks who interviewed as late as 12/19. I dont think anyone can really advise you on your status at this point. Importantly, stay positive and dont give up hope...till you notified otherwise. Best of luck to you.If we didn't hear back today does this spell bad news for us 🙁
As I understand they have sent acceptances to the folks who interviewed as late as 12/19. I dont think anyone can really advise you on your status at this point. Importantly, stay positive and dont give up hope...till you notified otherwise. Best of luck to you.
All the more reason for you to not give up hope and stay positive, If you havent heard back since then, I am sure you would still be in the running else they would have informed you of the decision by now. I wont say it looks very positive, but none the less, there still is hope.I interviewed December 2nd though.....
ACCEPTED!!!!!
Edit: The acceptance package states that I need to complete a course in Cell Biology or Genetics prior to matriculation. I've heard many people mention Biochemistry as a prerequisite. Is the Cell Biology an entirely separate course or would Biochemistry fulfill that requirement? Thanks!
According to http://medicine.stonybrookmedicine.edu/admissions_SOM (Towards the middle of the page), it's just referring to the 1st or 2nd semester of biology needing to have covered those areas. Also looks like the second semester of O.Chem lab can be substituted with Biochemistry, which is helpful for me.
Thanks for sending the link along! I read the Biology requirement to mean that we need one year of Biology, a semester of which needs to be Cell Biology or Genetics, rather than a year long introductory Biology course that covers these topics.
I'm glad you can replace Ochem with Biochem! One less thing to worry about!
Honestly, I initially read it the same way and I'm just being hopeful that the alternative interpretation is correct haha. Since you're already accepted, have you tried calling them to confirm?
So it turns out you need a stand alone course in Cell Biology or Genetics. Also, I re-read the requirements and I don't think Biochemistry replaces Ochem as you stated in your earlier post. Their website states that a 'minimum of 4 semesters including coursework in general and organic chemistry *and* a course in biochemistry' is required. The way I read it is that the Biochemistry class is in addition to 4 semesters worth of chemistry rather than as a replacement for one semester's worth of chemistry. You might want to double check on that with them to avoid any last minute surprises.
I don't think I was 100% clear but I was actually just referring to the lab of O.chem II. I've taken and completed the lecture for both O.chem I/II and am currently in the process of taking O.Chem lab I. And it states a "minimum of 3 semesters of lab is required", so I took that to mean the fourth(including Gen.Chem as labs 1 and 2) lab wouldn't be necessary. I appreciate the info; I interviewed last week and really liked the school so this helps me figure out a potential summer schedule if I happen to get accepted.
So it turns out you need a stand alone course in Cell Biology or Genetics.
Are you sure a stand alone course is required? A few people that I knew submitted a syllabus of our general biology course, where the first semester was focused on cell biology and the second semester was genetics. Apparently, they said that this would suffice to meet the cell bio/genetics requirements but I guess you'd have to double check with admissions.
Waitlisted this morning. Interviewed 12/19. Fingers crossed for lost of WL movement this year!
Does Stony have a high priority waitlist or just one single waitlist for everyone?
There is a high-priority and regular wait-list. I can't recall when they make the HP list but there are two.
I believe every year they exhaust the HPWL and extend into the normal WL. How far they go into the regular WL varies.
Can anyone give a general idea of what the interview day is like? Thank you!![]()
HPWL. JanuaryFYI--
I spoke with the admissions director back in October when I was put on the wait list. They are not doing HPWL this year... everyone is on the same wait list.
They said they just changed it this year so many people are confused
She also told me that realistically only a few people get off the wait list. I had asked her to be totally honest.
I had two interviews, both faculty. My first was purely conversational, my second was all ethics questions, drawn from my interviewer's experience as a physician. They were actually really interesting dilemmas, but I thought I'd let you know this is a possibility depending on who interviews you. Good luck!Can anyone give a general idea of what the interview day is like? Thank you!![]()
So I had my interview on December 16th, yesterday marked 7 weeks of not hearing back. I sent an update letter last week but does anyone know if waiting this long to hear back from Stony Brook is typically a bad sign? This is my top choice so I've been on edge for a while waiting to hear back.
Accepted. Interviewed early December. IS
Thank you!!!! Beyond ecstaticCongrats Yankeesfan!!!
Waitlisted. 3.5 GPA 36 MCAT OOS. Congrats to those accepted!
Looking for insight from current students about a not really important question: Would it be more useful to attend the "Stony Brook Revisted" or the pre-orientation? I like the school(and the faculty based off my interviewers) already so I would mainly find it useful to be able to hang out with future classmates and current students. Both events seem to be designed for that but I think I'll end up only attending one.
Would anyone happen to know if there is a high priority wait list this year? Also, what is movement like off of both the regular and high priority waitlist if there are both? Thanks
They told us there is a high priority waitlist during the interview. High priority goes first and will be start being contacted early May.
That's interesting, did you interview fairly recently? They told my group there was just one Waitlist back in December.
Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.